TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
aindik

Homeland 9/29/2013

Interesting start. Slow if perhaps on purpose. Saul is a drunk, paralyzed by indecision both personally and professionally. Sells out Carrie. All seem unlike him. Dar Adal is really running the CIA. It took me through half the episode to remember who he is.

Why was CIA running this kill mission? "We're not assassins." Ok, so why wasn't some other branch of the military running it?

The Brody "tape" was leaked to the media, with the obvious implication that it was supposed to be about the Langley bombing, when it was in fact about the suicide vest, which the CIA decided not to tell anybody about. Who is responsible for leaking it? Saul? With the tape out there with that implication, Carrie really does look like a loon saying Brody is innocent. He's right there on tape confessing.

And "find the leak" in the CIA is starting to sound a lot like "find the mole" in CTU.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
efilippi

One of the gunmen elected to not get the guy in the car because of the presence of a child. So he then broke into the guys house and got the job done while killing a few guards in the process. Then he was shown checking the pulse of the young boy which led me to believe that the boy was dead. What happened?

If a young guy catches Carrie at the right time, he is in for one heck of an evening.
efilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by efilippi View Post
One of the gunmen elected to not get the guy in the car because of the presence of a child. So he then broke into the guys house and got the job done while killing a few guards in the process. Then he was shown checking the pulse of the young boy which led me to believe that the boy was dead. What happened?
When he was packing the briefcase in the target' office, after killing him, he heard a noise outside the office and fired a shot through the door. That was the kid. Same kid from the car.

And it wasn't just one of the gunmen. It was Quinn from last season. The guy who was brought on to Carrie's and Saul's team by Estes, whose mission, unknown to Carrie and Saul, was to kill Brody. He decided at the last minute not to do it. He's how we discovered Dar Adal.

BTW, kind of implausible that he's on that mission by himself, no?
Old 09-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
markp99
TakoKichi

Homeland not in my guide. Huh?
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

The Brody confession was released by the Abu Nidal terrorist group. As we know, they set Brody up.

I thought it was very good. The got the flick back, although now we have a new top bad guy and Carrie on the outs and off her meds...

Carrie should just forget trying the save the world again, and proving herself right, and go back to teaching. End of series.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
gweempose

I'm at a complete loss when it comes to figuring out how they can possibly work Brody back into the story, at this point. The same goes for restoring Carrie's reputation. I'm sure the writers know what they're doing, but it seems like they took the show over a cliff without a parachute.
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I'm at a complete loss when it comes to figuring out how they can possibly work Brody back into the story, at this point. The same goes for restoring Carrie's reputation. I'm sure the writers know what they're doing, but it seems like they took the show over a cliff without a parachute.
I think it will end up that Carrie is right about Brody. He was out after Nazir died. That fact will eventually come out, which will accomplish both of those things you're wondering about.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

I still think, as I mentioned last season, that this thing will end up with Brody's daughter strapping on a vest and blowing something up.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I did read somewhere that we don't even check in with Brody until the at or after the 3rd episode.

There is no way in the real world that a guy that well-known would not be recognized. A famous US war hero/US Congressman/terrorist with his picture on every TV? C'Mon.

Crossing into Canada ain't gonna do it.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
DLiquid
Progressive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
I still think, as I mentioned last season, that this thing will end up with Brody's daughter strapping on a vest and blowing something up.
You might be right. Are you suspicious of the new boyfriend?
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
If a young guy catches Carrie at the right time, he is in for one heck of an evening.
Young, attractive guy who has red hair like Brody, sure.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
Homeland not in my guide. Huh?
Well, duh! I don't get Showtime.

Grabbed from ~elsewhere
Old 09-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
Interesting start. Slow if perhaps on purpose. Saul is a drunk, paralyzed by indecision both personally and professionally. Sells out Carrie. All seem unlike him. Dar Adal is really running the CIA. It took me through half the episode to remember who he is.
Seems a little tough on Saul. I thought he handled the timing issue on the attacks pretty well, and had 1 drink?

I never did figure out who Dar Adal is. You are referring to the guy who was trailing Saul around and telling him what to do even though I assume Saul is his boss? Who is he?
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #14
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Quinn shot through the glass at someone outside he couldn't see who was shining a flashlight into the office. It was the same kid.

How did Quinn know that "Tin Man" was hiding under the desk?

Quote:
Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
Young, attractive guy who has red hair like Brody, sure.
There was another show where the actress said that getting pounded on the stairs left her severely bruised.
UVerse and OTA

Old 09-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #15
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Seems a little tough on Saul. I thought he handled the timing issue on the attacks pretty well, and had 1 drink?

I never did figure out who Dar Adal is. You are referring to the guy who was trailing Saul around and telling him what to do even though I assume Saul is his boss? Who is he?
Dar Adal is F. Murray Abraham. He's got his own inside, inside CIA team that included Quinn. Quinn was giving Adal updates on what was going on the Brody team.
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #16
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post

Saul drank enough that his wife cut him off for the night, and he couldn't walk into the bedroom or untie his shoes.

We met Dar Adal in one scene last season. All I know about him is, when Estes wanted someone to kill Brody, Estes called Dar Adal, who sent Quinn.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #17
markp99
TakoKichi

Good start, though I could do without the teen romance angle, though I suppose it is setting her up for an inevitable crash and burn.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #18
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

This is the first time the worthless son had more screen time than Brody, perhaps...
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #19
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

It occurred to me that killing off everybody at the end of the season was the perfect way to take off the pressure for negotiating new contracts for the cast. You sign or you're dead.

No more David Estes or the Carrie's Muslim CIA partner. How was Saul not there? The head of the House intelligence committee should have been there, too.
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #20
efilippi

The scene in which Saul and his wife were in his bedroom, she inquiring how long this two-room arrangement would go on, seemed to end awkwardly. Long pauses, lingering shots of them both, individually. Were we supposed to see sexual arousal on Saul's part (no pun intended) or what?
Old 10-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #21
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Were we supposed to see sexual arousal on Saul's part (no pun intended) or what?[/quote]

I saw it as LACK OF sexual arousal so she gave up and left. She seemed interested, and he was like eh, well, eh, uh...

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #22
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
The scene in which Saul and his wife were in his bedroom, she inquiring how long this two-room arrangement would go on, seemed to end awkwardly. Long pauses, lingering shots of them both, individually. Were we supposed to see sexual arousal on Saul's part (no pun intended) or what?
I think she tried to initiate something and he did not reciprocate.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #23
efilippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
I think she tried to initiate something and he did not reciprocate.
Makes sense. It is an odd relationship, she taking off by herself for a year or so, he now seemingly uninterested.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #24
john4200

I am still wondering what Saul believes about Brody. Carrie surely told him that she does not think Brody was involved in the CIA bomb. Does Saul believe her? I guess not. Because if he did, I would think the story they released to Congress would be completely different. Much closer to the truth. Something like Carrie suspected Brody and was correct (explain about his suicide vest), but Carrie was able to turn him to a CIA asset (slept with him along the way), the CIA got Nazir thanks to Carrie and Brody, but they missed the fact that some part of Nazir's group was still around...and the terrorists tried to make it look like Brody was responsible for the CIA bomb.

That story actually lets the CIA and Carrie look somewhat competent, although they did screw up by missing the remaining terrorists. The only reason I can see for Saul not going with that story is if he really thinks Brody was involved with the CIA bomb. Which is really stupid of Saul -- when will he learn to trust Carrie when she tells him something about Brody?
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #25
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I am still wondering what Saul believes about Brody. Carrie surely told him that she does not think Brody was involved in the CIA bomb. Does Saul believe her? I guess not. Because if he did, I would think the story they released to Congress would be completely different. Much closer to the truth. Something like Carrie suspected Brody and was correct (explain about his suicide vest), but Carrie was able to turn him to a CIA asset (slept with him along the way), the CIA got Nazir thanks to Carrie and Brody, but they missed the fact that some part of Nazir's group was still around...and the terrorists tried to make it look like Brody was responsible for the CIA bomb.

I don't think it was another group of terrorists. It was the end of a plot with a long series of head fakes by Abu Nassir. Capture Nassir. Capture the news van. The real explosives were in Brody's SUV.

Putting the blame on Brody takes care of Brody turning on Nassir.

Wouldn't the CIA in Langley, of all places, have surveillance cameras EVERYWHERE so they'd see that Brody wasn't driving the SUV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
That story actually lets the CIA and Carrie look somewhat competent, although they did screw up by missing the remaining terrorists. The only reason I can see for Saul not going with that story is if he really thinks Brody was involved with the CIA bomb. Which is really stupid of Saul -- when will he learn to trust Carrie when she tells him something about Brody?
Like I said above, Carrie goes back on her meds, says "See ya!" and gives up on trying to wise up the CIA and the series is over.
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #26
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
I don't think it was another group of terrorists. It was the end of a plot with a long series of head fakes by Abu Nassir. Capture Nassir. Capture the news van. The real explosives were in Brody's SUV.
Where did I say it was "another" group of terrorists? I said it was remaining terrorists from Nazir's group. If Nazir planned it, probably it could have been done by just one remaining terrorist from Nazir's group.

I agree that there should have been plenty of surveillance showing who drove the vehicle up near the building. Unless Nazir had another mole in the CIA to sabotage the surveillance. But if that were the case, Saul should have mentioned that the surveillance was sabotaged (or that the surveillance shows Brody...perhaps doctored?). So I think we have to assume that the writers just made a monumental screw up.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #27
markymark_ctown

yes, i'd like to know who moved the the SUV from the parking spot.
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #28
busyba
The Funcooker

Thing is, even if you had evidence of someone else moving Brody's car from the parking lot to the curb outside the building, that isn't evidence that Brody wasn't complicit in getting the bomb into the parking lot in the first place.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #29
markymark_ctown

of course not, but it would provide support that someone else was involved.
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #30
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
of course not, but it would provide support that someone else was involved.
Yeah, but I don't think anyone thinks Brody was a lone wolf in this.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote