TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
Tanquen

Tivo HDs lost channels 707, 709, others? Premiere didn't.

TiVo HD lost some channels but my TiVo Premiere didn't. The cable strength meter shows100% for all working channels but 0% for these missing channels. ???

This is on Comcast Napa CA.
Tanquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
socrplyr

Check several things when tuning the channels:
Frequency that it is tuned to
Cablecard authorization for the channel
Encoding type

First two would indicate an improperly paired card.
I really doubt the third one as that would only be a problem if they started using MPEG4 and doesn't jibe with your strength meter readings.
socrplyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
Tanquen

It is really odd. The channels came back last night but are gone again right now. The Premiere shows 80-90 for all channels while the two HD units again show 100 for the working channels but 0 for the missing ones. I did try a reboot but I’m going to try switching the cables.

Frequency that it is tuned to - What? The channel?
Cablecard authorization for the channel - How would one do that?
Encoding type - How would one do that?

They are my local ABC and PBS channels.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
Tanquen

Comcast says that I have not been paying for HD channels and that is why 3 of them went away and come back and went away again. ??? I've had the HD channels for years!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
socrplyr

All the channel numbers that you have now are virtual, so the frequency would be where the tuner is actually trying to tune in on. I don't remember quite where that info is, but you can definitely see it on the tuner/cablecard pages somewhere. If the card isn't provisioned right, then it wouldn't provide your Tivo with the right frequency.

Since your channels are not encrypted the authorization wouldn't matter, this one won't matter (locals aren't encrypted). This is how the limit what channels you can view with the cablecard.

The encoding type is MPEG2, I am sure due to it being locals (it would be crazy for them not to be). Tivo HDs can't handle MPEG4, but Premieres can (that was the only reason, although unlikely that I had brought it up).

I would compare the frequencies that the Tivos are tuned to when one can't see it and the other can. I don't know a lot about Tivo's measurement levels, so I don't know what the diff between 0 and 100 would be... If it seems to have to do with the time of day or the temperature outside, it is possible. The signal levels can drastically vary with changes in temperature and what not. Just ideas. The Tivo HD tuners, might just be more sensitive to that type of fluctuation.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
Tanquen

They told me that all HD channels (for me 700 and up) require an extra fee if you have the Digital starter package. Even after this was added the channels still did not work until the evening and then gone again a few hours later. This has been the first really hot week this summer but the pattern seems odd. I’ve not checked all day everyday but they go away around 5-6pm and come back around 10-11pm then go away again sometime before I get up. Maybe temperature but it doesn’t sound like a provisioning issue either. If I have to pay then I’d think they would all go away not just the three I’ve found, 707, 709 and 715. Even then just for a few hours a day. They could be messing with something but…

Also, when I look at the missing channels I get a message about there being no signal but if I go to a channel like HBO that I’m not paying for I get a message about the channel being blocked.

I’m not sure what the TiVo consider a 0 signal either but something close to nothing and 100 would be as good as it expects to see. If it were temperature I'd think I'd see some drop in the signal not these on/off states of all or nothing.

I’ll have to look up how to check the encoding and frequencies. I’m also going to try one cable direct when it’s out with no splitter.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
Tanquen

It just came back again without doing anything. ???
Old 05-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
socrplyr

According to zap2it.com (looking at zip: 94558 w/ Comcast Napa Digital line up):
707 is KGODT
709 is KQEDDT
715 is KGODT2

From silicon dust it looks like those are all broadcast on the same QAM channel 32 (273 MHz).
http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun...lineup_9649581

It seems as though there is something up with that frequency band for you. Assuming your TV handles QAM tuning, you should be able to plug your cable into your TV (do a channel scan) and tune to channel 32-x (or 32.x depending on the TV) to check the signal. I would also look at seeing if it something about the cabling. Try putting the Tivo HD in the location where the Premiere is (and vice versa) to see if there are issues like that. That might point to a cabling problem (weak signal or interference). You could try replacing your cables/splitters on the way to the problem unit. Also, try sorting the silicon dust list by channel and see if you have issues with nearby channels to 32 (30/35). (I find it unlikely that it would be only in one channel.)
I don't know about Comcast in your area. Most other places, you are supposed to get the locals in HD without being in a higher package. Often times the frontline support people do not understand that and are probably kept that way to keep things simple for them. You may have to play CSR roulette to find one that is willing to work with you. However, you might be able to fix things on your own if it is a bad cable/splitter. It could also be a bad tuner in the Tivo as well. I would check once more when tuning the channels to see what frequency the Tivo is tuning to (make sure it is something near 273 MHz).
Old 06-11-2013, 02:37 AM   #9
yoyoma2

I am having the exact same problem! I only have 1 TiVo hd I think, not Premiere. I called Comcast and they are clueless. What can I do? Is the problem with the TiVo hd or with Comcast? Thanks for any advice.
yoyoma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
Tanquen

I know it’s been awhile but the channels came back on their own. I could not get Comcast to do anything other than ask for more money. I did end up trying that but it did nothing and I had to call a few times to get them to remove the extra charge that did nothing. It must have been some new provisioning on the PMCIA tuner card that affected the two HD TiVos but not the Premiere, that they later fixed. ???
Old 10-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

I had this problem for 2 channels for months. Finally figured out it was a bad cable attenuating the signal right at that frequency
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote