TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
substance12

s03 error when forcing update

short story: i have s03 errors when forcing a connection to the tivo service. as a result i can not get new guide data. tivo is replacing my unit with a premiere for $49.

long story:this first started with GC not completing and my guide data not updating as a result. i did a guided setup and ran into s03 error. i did a KS57. rest of the story is mentioned above.

question:
i actually upgraded my hard drive many years ago. do i really need a new tivo or can i just swap in my original hard drive to fix it? i'm just curious. i'm going to replace the tivohd with a premiere anyways. i swear, i better not get the GC issue associated with the tuning adapter.
substance12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I'd think twice about the Premiere. Consider this post:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...77#post9799877
which contains this statement:
Quote:
The Premiere is a piece of crap, and a serious black mark on TiVo's history. If it's the only TiVo you've ever owned then I'm sorry. You picked the wrong generation to join the TiVolution. I've only had my Roamio for a couple days, but it is everything the Premiere should have been. It's fast and usable and actually capable of fulfilling TiVo's "one box" claim.
But you will have a lot of company.

Also, I think betting that Premieres (or any Tivo) will be immune to TA-related problems, including GC failure and S03, is a sucker bet. My guess is Tivo market penetration would be at least 50% higher if it weren't for the infernal TA.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
jrtroo
User

Premiers are fine for most, though some do have problems. Not nearly as many complaints from those who prefer the old interface. I'm good with mine, but am still considering a roamio and mini to cut down on cablecard fees.

I would inspect the power supply first- those cause all sorts of odd issues when they go bad. You could also then put in the initial drive and see how that works.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I assume you've tried disconnecting the TA USB, or powering down the TA, for 3 or 4 hours (since you seem familiar with GC and S03 problems).

Power supply problems are almost always caused by "capacitor disease", which results in bulging electrolytic caps as shown here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...94#post8750894
Even slight bulging indicates a problem.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
unitron

Supposedly "Clear Program Information and To Do List" will fix an S03.

Probably wouldn't hurt to disconnect TA while doing so.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
substance12

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Supposedly "Clear Program Information and To Do List" will fix an S03.

Probably wouldn't hurt to disconnect TA while doing so.
Thanks for he advice. That method actually worked. I still have the premiere coming in the mail. Time to beta test.
substance12 is offline   Reply With Quote