TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
nyjack

Upgraded Premiere 4 Keeps Restarting

I have a Premiere 4 that I bought new directly from TiVo this past March (2013). It came with a 500gb HD that I upgraded to a WD Green 2tb drive. After a month or two it began restarting on its own for no apparent reason. Additionally it will freeze up and I am forced to unplug and restart it occasionally. I was using the HD menus (very, very slow) so I switched to the SD menus, with no improvement. Just to be sure it wasn't the drive I recently (@ 3 weeks ago) bought and installed a new Seagate 2tb HD. No improvement. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jack
nyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
Hi8
TiVoPro - wanabe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjack View Post
I have a Premiere 4 that I bought new directly from TiVo this past March (2013). It came with a 500gb HD that I upgraded to a WD Green 2tb drive. After a month or two it began restarting on its own for no apparent reason. Additionally it will freeze up and I am forced to unplug and restart it occasionally. I was using the HD menus (very, very slow) so I switched to the SD menus, with no improvement. Just to be sure it wasn't the drive I recently (@ 3 weeks ago) bought and installed a new Seagate 2tb HD. No improvement. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jack
Have you tried plugging your original drive (500gig) back in to see if the problem is still there? Most people just put the pulled drive on the shelf as a emergency backup.

I would try that first. If you still have the problem call TiVo and have them replace under warranty ... if you just got it in March of this year. Could be a power supply problem. ??

(3) TiVo THX HD S3
(1) Roamio - Basic 3TB
(1) PremiereXL4 & (1) TiVo Mini
Hi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
nyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi8 View Post

Have you tried plugging your original drive (500gig) back in to see if the problem is still there? Most people just put the pulled drive on the shelf as a emergency backup.

I would try that first. If you still have the problem call TiVo and have them replace under warranty ... if you just got it in March of this year. Could be a power supply problem. ??
I do have the original drive but fear that TiVo won't honor the warrantee even if I put the original drive back because I opened the box and swapped the drive. Can't they tell that I did this even if I put the original drive back?

Jack
Old 08-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
nyjack

[quote="Hi8;9768655"]

Last edited by nyjack : 08-15-2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
nyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi8 View Post

I do have the original drive but fear that TiVo might not honor the warrantee since I opened the unit even if I put the original drive back.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
nyjack

Sorry for the multiple answers. I didn't see my reply show up right away so I wrote it again.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Hi8
TiVoPro - wanabe!

Quote:
I do have the original drive but fear that TiVo won't honor the warrantee even if I put the original drive back because I opened the box and swapped the drive. Can't they tell that I did this even if I put the original drive back?

Jack
I don't think so ... it's worth a try. It will at least tell you if the problem is hard drive/software related or not.

TiVo never sealed their hardware with 'do not break seal' stickers that I know of. They usually warn of voiding warranty and such things on those stickers. But I've NEVER seen one and I've own quite a few TiVos.

(3) TiVo THX HD S3
(1) Roamio - Basic 3TB
(1) PremiereXL4 & (1) TiVo Mini
Hi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Yeah, it's usually a "don't ask, don't tell" situation with TiVo.

Put the original drive back in. If you still experience problems and decide to call TiVo, wait a few days.
Let the DVR "phone home" a few times before you call so that it will be reporting the correct (original) hard drive size for your model in TiVo's logs.

I don't know how long TiVo keeps the info, and they might not even look. But it's better to be safe than sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:05 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:

Jack
Did you ever run wdidle3.exe to disable Intellipark on that 2TB WD drive?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
nyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post

Did you ever run wdidle3.exe to disable Intellipark on that 2TB WD drive?
I couldn't as my only computer is a laptop so I had to set up and transfer data via USB connections. My understanding is that the drive needs to be directly connected via a SATA connection to run wdidle3.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
nyjack

Quote:

Jack
Just for the heck of it I just swapped out the cable card from Comcast. This seemed to be the easiest thing to do as it cost me nothing. So far it's been almost a week and all is working okay.

Jack
Old 09-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
nyjack

Quote:

Just for the heck of it I just swapped out the cable card from Comcast. This seemed to be the easiest thing to do as it cost me nothing. So far it's been almost a week and all is working okay.

Jack
So far, after 6 days with new cable card, my Premiere 4 is now working fine! It hasn't locked up or restarted. It's beginning to look like the problem was the cable card all along. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Jack
Old 09-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #13
tvmaster2

I've rebuilt a Series 4 Premiere twice now, and it's crashed again, although the last time it crashed the drive diagnostic app told me the drive was fine. I'm suspicious the cable card/tuning adapter are introducing errors in the TiVo software the hard drive can't rebuild, but I have no way to prove that
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
nyjack

Quote:

So far, after 6 days with new cable card, my Premiere 4 is now working fine! It hasn't locked up or restarted. It's beginning to look like the problem was the cable card all along. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Jack
Well, my Premiere 4 isn't locking up any more but is still restarting. From what I've been reading I'm wondering if my electrical outlet is briefly losing power. Does anyone know how to tell if this is the case? I'm going to run an extension cord from another outlet to see if anything changes.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Well, my Premiere 4 isn't locking up any more but is still restarting. From what I've been reading I'm wondering if my electrical outlet is briefly losing power. Does anyone know how to tell if this is the case? I'm going to run an extension cord from another outlet to see if anything changes.
You don't have it on a UPS?

Old 10-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
nyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You don't have it on a UPS?
No, I don't.

However, I plugged my TiVo into a different electrical outlet 2 weeks ago (using an extension cord) and it hasn't restarted or locked up once. So clearly my electrical outlet is having some kind of problems. Does anyone know of a layman usable tester I can use on the outlet to see if there is something obvious wrong?
Old 10-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #17
evanborkow

Quote:
No, I don't.

However, I plugged my TiVo into a different electrical outlet 2 weeks ago (using an extension cord) and it hasn't restarted or locked up once. So clearly my electrical outlet is having some kind of problems. Does anyone know of a layman usable tester I can use on the outlet to see if there is something obvious wrong?
To start, you could just use a lamp.
evanborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #18
unitron

Frankly, if it has trouble with the cable card in and doesn't with it out (or if that's how it used to be, and now it has problems even with the card out), it sounds like it might be a failing power supply that first evinced itself by not being able to handle the extra current drain of the card.

If it were an S2 or S3, I'd be 99% convinced due to the "capacitor plague" problem to which the 2s and 3s are subject.