TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
aindik

Homeland 10/6/2013

Did Saul's wife not know why Carrie might be upset? Did Saul think showing up and saying he was sorry was going to make it all better? Um, he sold her out on national TV in front of Congress. Did he not expect fallout?

And how exactly do you get someone committed without revealing who you are?

This storyline with the bank is boring me.

The new analyst said she had nothing, and only when Saul was about to leave the room revealed she had a plan? That conversation made no sense. Neither did Saul all of a sudden deciding Muslim religious garb was a middle finger to victims of Islamist terrorism. Seems out of character for him.

So far I'm not sure where any of it is going.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
deli99

I don't mind the storyline with the bank, and the Peter Quinn character is interesting to me.

I'm not sure why the writers keep giving us so much of the 'Dana Brody Love Story', but I wish they would stop.
deli99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by deli99 View Post
I don't mind the storyline with the bank, and the Peter Quinn character is interesting to me.

I'm not sure why the writers keep giving us so much of the 'Dana Brody Love Story', but I wish they would stop.
Yes, forgot to mention that. Seems completely irrelevant.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
markymark_ctown

Quote:
Originally Posted by deli99 View Post

the Homeland writers keep pushing the 'Dana' storylines when they're almost never well-received. I dont want to watch a teen drama. I liked ep1 of the season, but this one spent too much time lingering on Dana's story.

Would like more story with Quinn. His character is interesting and evolving, so hopefully we'll see more of him.
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
BradJW

I honestly am not sure why i'm still watching this.

Last night's episode was better than Sunday Night Football - barely. But I got a feeling this show's season pass days are numbered.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
markp99
TakoKichi

Carrie plays CRAZY so convincingly! Was hard to watch.

Agree. Less Dana, more Quinn!
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I enjoy the fact that I am feeling conflicted about the Carrie plot this season. I empathize with her feelings of betrayal and yet I believe it probably is the best thing for her -- she was clearly unstable when off her meds.
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
gweempose

As soon as the new girl appeared on the screen, my wife and I looked at each other and said "She looks so familiar". Sure enough, she was Barney's girlfriend Nora on HIMYM. I really enjoyed the scene where Saul told her that wearing the burka was a big F-You to everyone in the building, and that she better be damn good at her job to compensate.

I agree that Dana's character is annoying and a waste of screen time. On top of it, the girl ins't a very good actress. They gave her a pretty juicy monologue this episode, and it just fell flat. The show desperately needs Brody back. It's flailing right now.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
As soon as the new girl appeared on the screen, my wife and I looked at each other and said "She looks so familiar". Sure enough, she was Barney's girlfriend Nora on HIMYM.

Her name is Nazanin Boniadi. There's an interesting story about her that was in the Sept 2012 issue of Vanity Fair.
She was a Scientologist and was supposedly selected to be Tom Cruise's new wife prior to Katie Holmes. She did something they didn't like and was dismissed to their center in Florida where she reportedly had to clean bathrooms with a toothbrush and dig ditches. Cruise and the scientologists denied it but Paul Haggis, a long time scientologist who left the group, said it was true. Crazy stuff.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
speedcouch
Geekneck

The show keeps going progressively downhill. I actually fell asleep for a bit in the middle last night.

The show definitely needs Damien Lewis back. He and Claire Danes together make it.

Hate the plot with the daughter. Agree that a teenage plot isn't what I tune into see. Also don't buy Saul as the CIA head. His character was too soft and don't like the 180 the writers have made with it.

Basically dislike most everything the writers have done to turn something so great into something that put me to sleep as quick as a CBS procedural.

Cheryl
Sony Bravia, 20 inch
HR34-700
HR21-100
Panasonic DMR-E30S
Kenwood VR-7060
DirecTV since Aug 1995
XM since May 2004
speedcouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
Hank
AC•FTW

God, enough with Brody. I'd much rather see them pursue who did the CIA bombing with new villains and the Bank plot with Quinn and his mysterious CIA boss.

I also don't like the Dana subplot -- they're clearly grooming her to be a Brody-Jr. Yawn.
Hank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Well, the Quinn deal was explained in Showtime's promos. They're featuring him as a very dangerous guy who you never notice is there. The banker never saw him, even on the street.

He's got a moral code where he wouldn't kill Brody when Estes wanted Brody gone to clean up his mistakes.

Speaking of, nobody noted that Brody was alone with the VP when he died of the heart attack?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
Hank
AC•FTW

No, Estes called him to stand down right before Quinn was going to kill him.

Nobody saw Brody sneek into the Veeps office.
Hank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #14
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post

There were two times Quinn was going to kill Brody. The first was in the limo. Estes called that off. The second was at Carrie's cabin in the woods. Quinn called that one off himself.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post

Nobody saw Brody sneak into the Veep's office when he got the serial number of the pacemaker, but when they hacked the Veeps heart the Veep was meeting in his office with Brody.

Then the Veep had his yacht sabotaged and shot himself in the life raft so his son could survive.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #16
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post

Then the Veep had his yacht sabotaged and shot himself in the life raft so his son could survive.
LOL! Was that the same actor? I didn't even notice.
(3) Minis

Old 10-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #17
caslu

It's not a good sign when I start fast forwarding through half the episode.... I'm over crazy Carrie and they most definitely need to move on from the Brody Bunch.
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #18
markp99
TakoKichi

I FF'd thru crazy Carrie and anything with Dana. Does not leave much to watch
Old 10-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #19
snowjay
40mph couch potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
The new analyst said she had nothing, and only when Saul was about to leave the room revealed she had a plan? That conversation made no sense.

I don't think she had a plan until Saul told her what her purpose was, then it clicked and that's when she said we should talk to the bankers about certain transactions.
snowjay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #20
LlamaLarry

Fell asleep towards the end but the episode was so damn boring I am not even sure I care.

I also thought Saul's dig on the forensic accountant's hijab seemed out of character, along with the whole way he has handled the Carrie thing, and the entire working relationship with Dar Adal. It's like I don't even know the guy.

Season 1 was awesome (even with them hitting the chicken button in the finale), Season 2 is like a drunken memory and Season 3 may not even keep me awake.

Note to Carrie: I know you're off your meds, sweetie, but when someone calls you crazy and bothers to have you committed for a competency hearing it might be a good time to ease off the crazy/paranoid/big eyed/fast talking pedal.

I can't remember, what happened to Uncle Mike, besides getting full time gig on a network show?
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #21
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaLarry View Post
I can't remember, what happened to Uncle Mike, besides getting full time gig on a network show?
Ahhh. THAT"S who he is! We call him the "bumbler" on blacklist.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #22
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Larry, I'm pretty much with you. I think between Season 1 and Season 2, the show underwent perhaps the biggest drop in quality in TV history...from being one of the best shows on television to mediocre at best. And now it seems to have dropped again, precipitously. This is just embarrassingly bad. Like, daytime soap opera bad.

I'll give it another week, but I'm this close to dropping it and pretending it ended after the first season.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #23
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

You are right in that this is not Tennesee Williams time. The men in white coats don't just show up and haul you away. And with an involuntary commitment - I think it has be initiated by a doctor, maybe a family member, certainly not by an anonymous outside party. This also ain't the Soviet Union.
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #24
stellie93

Actually, I thought the commitment was the most realistic part of the whole thing. They didn't just whisk her off under an assumed name or something--her family is there for her. And she really needs help. The whole show needs help......
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #25
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Larry, I'm pretty much with you. I think between Season 1 and Season 2, the show underwent perhaps the biggest drop in quality in TV history...from being one of the best shows on television to mediocre at best. And now it seems to have dropped again, precipitously. This is just embarrassingly bad. Like, daytime soap opera bad.

I'll give it another week, but I'm this close to dropping it and pretending it ended after the first season.
I think you are repressing the memory of Heroes.
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #26
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
I think you are repressing the memory of Heroes.
Nope. Heroes wasn't a great show to begin with. Good, but not great.

If Homeland had lived up to the promise of most of the first season, it would today be one of the all-time greats. Instead, it's late-Heroes-level bad...but it fell from a much greater height.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #27
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post

Nope. Heroes wasn't a great show to begin with. Good, but not great.
Many, including myself, would disagree with you. Up until the Season One finale, Heroes was a fantastic show! As much as I enjoyed the first season of Homeland, I liked Heroes more.
(3) Minis

Old 10-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #28
mooseAndSquirrel

I'm going to give it one more episode. I never seem to be able to bail on a program, and I think this might be an opportunity to practice this skill.
mooseAndSquirrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #29
DLiquid
Progressive User

I was surprised to see a flash of Dana topless. I didn't realize the actress is 18.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #30
getreal
postcrastinator

I still enjoy this show a lot.

I may just avoid these threads in the future in order to continue my personal enjoyment of "Homeland".

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote