Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Survivor - OAD 10/02/2013

Wow!

What a punk. So glad Jeff wasn't easy on him for quitting the game. Several times Jeff mentioned that he was a 'two time quitter'.

And then the bombshell - he faked his injury the last time! That blew me away. Jeff asked him to own up to it, but he hemmed and hawed around it.

So glad he is gone.

In the immunity challenge, Ciera just doesn't have a competitive instinct in her. She basically jumped in the water the first round, and gave up in the second.

Dumb move in the end voting John out, IMO. If they keep having physical challenges they will lose.

Last edited by Donbadabon : 10-03-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
brianric

If Probst suspected Colton quit the first time on Survivor, then why in hell did he bring him back so he can quit a second time. Two time loser.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
If Probst suspected Colton quit the first time on Survivor, then why in hell did he bring him back so he can quit a second time. Two time loser.
Agree. I thought that was sort of one of the unofficial rules of the show...you quit, we're done with you. I thought Jeff had even said something like that in the past in some interview when asked about one of the previous quitters coming back. So if they suspected he quit, why take the chance on him? Give that chance to someone who actually deserves it.

Though I must admit it was rather amusing to see him make a fool of himself like that, prove nothing about him has changed, and then go down in flames (no pun intended).
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Oh they brought him back just so he could add some drama and quit again. They knew he wouldn't last.

What happened to Tyson's shoulder?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
JETarpon

Stupid stupid stupid. If he wanted out, he should have suffered through it, and then sacrificed himself by taking his fiance's place when he could.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:08 AM   #6
MrCouchPotato

Darn, I wish he waited to quit until after the immunity challenge. I wanted to see him get whooped on! That was embarrassing crawling into his boyfriends lap.
MrCouchPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #7
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
To Jeff's credit, he has stated publicly that he did not want Colton back, but was overruled.
This would explain Jeff's immediate acceptance of Colton's quit. Normally Jeff would try to talk people down. This time he seemed more than eager to get Colton out of there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCouchPotato View Post
Darn, I wish he waited to quit until after the immunity challenge. I wanted to see him get whooped on!
As entertaining as that would've been, I'd bet in that challenge Colton would just jump in the water before being touched. I still would've like to have seen that happen though.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:58 AM   #8
Peter000

Colton has the emotional maturity of a three-year-old. So glad he's gone.

This season is proving more entertaining than I expected, though. The extra dynamics of loved ones on the opposite teams is interesting.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #9
LifeIsABeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
Dumb move in the end voting John out, IMO. If they keep having physical challenges they will lose.
Jeff even mentioned at the end that the tribe continues to get weaker. I guess the voted off all the strong women so they had to start on the men. Just wish it had been Brad. One of the dumbest tribes ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
What happened to Tyson's shoulder?
Looked like he had a slight dislocation.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #10
brianric

Dalton on Colton
http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/10/02/su...probst-colton/

Dalton's recap
http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/survivo...ter-episode-3/

Probst's Q&A
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/10/03/su...t-colton-quit/
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #11
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks for the links. He quoted one of my favorite lines from the episode -
Jeff to Colton
Quote:
“You can keep your buff. I won’t give it the honor of throwing that in the urn. We’ll keep that reserved for people that compete.”
How he climbed onto his boyfriends lap made me want to throw up. Not because of them being gay but because it was just so pathetic.

I didn't get the strategy of Culpepper at the end and the tribe voting a strong guy out instead of one of the two gals. In fact one of them got beat by her mother in the challenge and it was probably the only person her mother could have beat. The girls did look at each other and smile - the blindside made them safe till the next tribal at least.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #12
VegasVic
Craps Player

Glad he's gone but would have loved to see him in the challenge. With Colton and Rupert gone I can enjoy the rest of the season.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #13
LordKronos

Quote:
How he climbed onto his boyfriends lap made me want to throw up. Not because of them being gay but because it was just so pathetic.
My 3 year old daughter does that, but she usually cries less than Colton when she does it.
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #14
bryhamm
randomize

Someone on the vet tribe said it best ... Colton was frustrated because people wouldn't talk strategy with him.

He basically showed that when things don't go his way he throws a tantrum.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

So they voted out strong women and when they ran out of those they voted out a strong man. I wonder why they keep losing!
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #16
bikegeek

Quote:
I didn't get the strategy of Culpepper at the end and the tribe voting a strong guy out instead of one of the two gals.
John made the mistake of only telling Culpepper the clue to find the hidden immunity idol.
bikegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #17
pmyers

Quote:
Probst didn't bring him back.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #18
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I loled when Dalton wrote what Hayden said about Pandora's Box being opened and a crossover from Big Brother. So funny, I didn't notice that when Hayden said it!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #19
hfcsyrup

Probst was overruled so they allow Colton back? Yea right, if probst didnt want him he could have persuaded them, he is the showrunner, EP, host, only reason this show still exists.

As for Colton quitting, I wish Jeff would have said if one member quits, their loved one must leave/quit also.
And then how come he didnt offer quitter going to RI?
And also I thought when someone quits normally they dont have a tribal or send someone home? They build that in to account for people getting hurt or quitting? Yet here they go right along and have the RI challange and then another tribal. Survivor makes the rules up on the fly.

They're not winning with John, so when you're not winning with strong people it's ok to vote out strong people.
hfcsyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #20
dirtypacman
Coming and going

We were all happy to see Colton go, his decision or not. A specific problem with the casting of the show, a ratings grab, and the fabricated or manipulated "heroes and villians" inside the game. When they weigh on the side of good drama over good players you get bad decisions. Really it is a kick to the entire cast when someone like that gets to play. From un-necessary drama to the worst case abandoning your own team (it could benefit morale wise though as Colton sucked) it does really no justice to the core of the game. Yes its a social expirment but why bring toxic people into especially for a 2nd time. That all being said I am happy he is gone and the game is interesting enough with the other players and elements too it this year.

Weird episode, never expected John to go but maybe I was overlooking the fact that the immunity idol puts a huge target on your back. He certainly dug his own grave not opening up to his alliance and letting them trust him more. I enjoyed all the challenges so far this year. I think they are giving it a variety of new and fresh and classic/gritty. Good stuff.

Poor Tyson, loses his girl, busts his shoulder, has to defend his cupcake. I really get a kick out of him for some reason. Seems like a funny dude and I am now kind of rooting for him as one of the strong returning players.

Their are some real characters that are making for some entertaining television. I think it could end up being a real interesting season.
3) PIONEER #810H-S
4) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour

Comcast HD & Digital
home wired network (4) USB200M
dirtypacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #21
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
My 3 year old daughter does that, but she usually cries less than Colton when she does it.
LOL I think it's okay for three year olds.
And I even wouldn't have minded if he just went over and sat next to the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
So they voted out strong women and when they ran out of those they voted out a strong man. I wonder why they keep losing!
It is amusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Probst didn't bring him back.
This is the point that needs to be remembered. That Jeff is not the deciding vote on who comes back and that he says he didn't want him back.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #22
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypacman View Post
We were all happy to see Colton go, his decision or not. A specific problem with the casting of the show, a ratings grab, and the fabricated or manipulated "heroes and villians" inside the game. When they weigh on the side of good drama over good players you get bad decisions. Really it is a kick to the entire cast when someone like that gets to play. From un-necessary drama to the worst case abandoning your own team (it could benefit morale wise though as Colton sucked) it does really no justice to the core of the game. Yes its a social expirment but why bring toxic people into especially for a 2nd time. That all being said I am happy he is gone and the game is interesting enough with the other players and elements too it this year.
Over the years, Survivor has become less about the game and more about the interaction between the contestants. The game, in many respects, has become secondary to confrontation. Perfect example is the combined reward/immunity challenges. They cut out one challenge so they can show more confrontation (and yes, so they can show RI as well). The reward challenge has always been part of the strategy of the game, and now that's gone. They seem more interested in bringing back folks who will guarantee confrontation because they think that's what people want to see more than the actual game. Maybe that's the case, but it isn't for me.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #23
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfcsyrup View Post
They build that in to account for people getting hurt or quitting? Yet here they go right along and have the RI challange and then another tribal. Survivor makes the rules up on the fly.
They'd figured out over the past few years to always have more contestants than they have weeks. So if somebody gets hurt or quits, they have enough contestants to keep things going. If for some reason nothing like that happens, then they have a "both tribes vote out somebody" week or something like that. It's not like they are really making up rules on the fly, but allowing for unexpected things to happen but not ruin the game.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #24
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
And also I thought when someone quits normally they dont have a tribal or send someone home? They build that in to account for people getting hurt or quitting?
They haven't cancelled Tribal due to a quit/evac in a long time. My guess is Colton quitting saves us a double-elimination episode later on. Hope so, anyway.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #25
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Over the years, Survivor has become less about the game and more about the interaction between the contestants. The game, in many respects, has become secondary to confrontation. Perfect example is the combined reward/immunity challenges. They cut out one challenge so they can show more confrontation (and yes, so they can show RI as well). The reward challenge has always been part of the strategy of the game, and now that's gone. They seem more interested in bringing back folks who will guarantee confrontation because they think that's what people want to see more than the actual game. Maybe that's the case, but it isn't for me.
So? Now there are different strategies. It can't be ALL about challenges.

Also, it would add big production costs to have three challenges during an episode rather than 2.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #26
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
They're not winning with John, so when you're not winning with strong people it's ok to vote out strong people.
I would counter that impeccable logic with this: when you're not winning with strong people, you will lose by a bigger margin when you vote out strong people.
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #27
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
They'd figured out over the past few years to always have more contestants than they have weeks. So if somebody gets hurt or quits, they have enough contestants to keep things going. If for some reason nothing like that happens, then they have a "both tribes vote out somebody" week or something like that. It's not like they are really making up rules on the fly, but allowing for unexpected things to happen but not ruin the game.
This. Then, if someone "pulls a Colton", then each week after is played out normally.

The question is, how many do they plan on? Guessing no more than 2.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #28
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
This. Then, if someone "pulls a Colton", then each week after is played out normally.

The question is, how many do they plan on? Guessing no more than 2.
What's the most lost - due to quitting or injuries - in one game?

I was wondering if Tyson will be out soon with his shoulder messed up.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #29
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
So? Now there are different strategies. It can't be ALL about challenges.

Also, it would add big production costs to have three challenges during an episode rather than 2.
It was just one example. I couldn't care less about production costs obviously as a viewer, so why should that matter to me.

I'd rather them skip RI and to back to the two classic challenges, personally.

But still, my point stands, they've gone away from "the game" and it's now about the "confrontations". Maybe they get better ratings, but for me it's not as interesting watching people screaming at each other all the time about dumb stuff, or having jerks like Colton come back just to create confrontation and drama.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #30
crowfan
The Dude abides

I could be wrong, but in most seasons, I seem to recall the first few weeks being a combined reward/immunity challenge, and then a few episodes in, they switch back to separate challenges.

crowfan is offline   Reply With Quote