TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-20-2014, 07:25 AM   #1
miller890

Tivo HDMI to PC desktop

Has anyone tried taking the TiVo HDMI audio/video out and connect it to a PC?

I have found a couple HDMI capture cards that are typically use for recording game play, but I am not sure if they will work. I am not looking to record, just display TiVo in a window on a Windows8 desktop.
Comcast, all wired to 1GB
miller890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

I just stream it and I can watch it on one of my PC monitors. Or you can just connect the HDMI output to one of the other Monitor inputs and use the monitor PiP. And leave the PC out of the equation.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
ftg

The problem is HDCP: the copy protection mechanism that prevents trivially doing things like this.

Certain older capture cards could be used, but they are hard to find.

There are also some HDMI splitters that solve this problem for remarkably little money. (I use one that I got from a major on-line retailer for less than $30.)

However, I think the mods would frown on going into detail about this last one.
ftg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
moedaman

A Slingbox would work for you. They have component inputs, so HDCP wouldn't affect you and you can watch through your pc. Other than that Hauppauge has the HD PVR and HD PVR2 which can do this, but I'm not sure if it always records or it will allow you to just watch live tv.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller890 View Post
Has anyone tried taking the TiVo HDMI audio/video out and connect it to a PC?

I have found a couple HDMI capture cards that are typically use for recording game play, but I am not sure if they will work. I am not looking to record, just display TiVo in a window on a Windows8 desktop.
If you have an hdcp compliant video card, its possible but it would require a special sound card which is capable of hdmi input/output, Asus makes one. Otherwise you can use a capture card but you will also need a hdmi splitter that removes hdcp.

If you want to just to display, a simple monitor that has hdmi input placed on your desk would be the simplest.

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
aridon

Hauppauge has a component capture card that works.
aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #7
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Hauppauge has a component capture card that works.
I have used the PVR2 model of their's, it's great for capturing 8 channel digital audio tracks as it has a Toslink input but the video quality it can capture at is less than desirable, with that model you need the a HDMI splitter if you use the HDMI output for video. The one I tried was USB 2 version, there is also a internal PCI card which I don't know if it provides higher quality video capture but given the restriction is built into the Hauppauge capture software they share, I doubt if it's better. The Hauppauge devices have TV viewing app that can be downloaded from their site if you use it for TV viewing function.

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #8
tallmomof2

I went through 3 HDPVRs and am now using a Colossus. I started recording HD in 2008 with SageTV. IMO, the Colossus is more reliable than the HDPVR. It still needs the occasional reset but not as often as the HDPVRs. The video capture is the same with the internal card as the USB device. I had better luck with audio on the internal card.
tallmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:51 PM   #9
True Colors

Connecting an HDMI cable to a computer isnt going to do you much good unless you can figure out a way to overcome HDCP protection.

To my knowledge, the closest that you can get to this type of thing would be connecting your component outputs from your Tivo to a Hauppauge Colossus card. This will allow you to get high definition streaming. It is not as good as a regular HDMI cable but its still pretty good.

I have this type of setup and it works great. My Tivo outputs to the computer through component cables and then my computer outputs to our flatscreen TV through an HDMI cable.

And just in case you ever do want to record things to your computer, this type of setup makes it extremely easy to do that.

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:33 AM   #10
Worf

I have an HD-PVR that I used for my MCE machine until the machine basically up and quit on me. My new machine that replaced it uses a Collosus. Much better capture card - while the HD-PVR locks up about once a day, the Collosus only locks up once in a while, though when it does so, it generally comes in huge spurts then it settles down again.

I just use component outputs.

It's also more reliable - HDMI+HDCP can be troublesome if the link gets reset for say, a resolution switch. So you can be in the middle of a capture and boom, it resets, and doesn't come up. Or it comes up and resets.

(Especially since my source device, a cable box, are well know for screwy HDCP responses).
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #11
rhroyse

If capture is desired

To address HDCP "issues":

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am quite pleased with the results.
rhroyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #12
ftg

I've been asked about my setup via PM, but I can't reply due to being a newbie. Nor can I post a direct link, but it can be found at most of the usual places.

There's an 18 page thread at videohelp.com forums that goes into more details about this stuff.

TiVo -> CVID BG-550 splitter -> Avermedia HD digital/analog capture card. The software is just the Avermedia supplied stuff. Usually capture as mpeg2. Some short stuff I do uncompressed when I want to process without going thru an extra uncompress/compress cycle.

The splitter feeds the primary and secondary TVs (the latter with a loooong run which the splitter really helps) as well as the PC (which is also a ways off). HDMI cables from Monoprice, of course. I use IR extenders to control the TiVo remotely.

(The price seems to have gone up. But the 2-port version is still cheap.)
Old 05-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #13
dbtom

As mentioned earlier, the simplest way to do this by far is with a Slingbox. I use a Slingbox 350 mainly for the same thing and it works great. It only cost around $125. I use Windows 8 but use it through the browser and not the Windows 8 app. The app costs an extra $15 and I am cheap.
dbtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #14
ftg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtom View Post
As mentioned earlier, the simplest way to do this by far is with a Slingbox. I use a Slingbox 350 mainly for the same thing and it works great. It only cost around $125. I use Windows 8 but use it through the browser and not the Windows 8 app. The app costs an extra $15 and I am cheap.
The 350 doesn't have HDMI in/out. You are going analog that way. And if you're going analog capture, there's a lot of cheaper, direct alternatives.

The 500 (twice as costly) does have HDMI, but then you're still stuck with the issue of HDCP. And so a few more $s on top of that.

Neither alone does what the OP requires. I don't see where "simple" comes into play with Slingboxes and TiVo HDMI outputs.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #15
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
I've been asked about my setup via PM, but I can't reply due to being a newbie. Nor can I post a direct link, but it can be found at most of the usual places.

There's an 18 page thread at videohelp.com forums that goes into more details about this stuff.

TiVo -> CVID BG-550 splitter -> Avermedia HD digital/analog capture card. The software is just the Avermedia supplied stuff. Usually capture as mpeg2. Some short stuff I do uncompressed when I want to process without going thru an extra uncompress/compress cycle.

The splitter feeds the primary and secondary TVs (the latter with a loooong run which the splitter really helps) as well as the PC (which is also a ways off). HDMI cables from Monoprice, of course. I use IR extenders to control the TiVo remotely.

(The price seems to have gone up. But the 2-port version is still cheap.)

Got a link to the capture card?
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:03 AM   #16
ftg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Got a link to the capture card?
I use the Avermedia C027. Let's see if I can do a link now:

Link.

It is now an older model. Has extra stuff you don't need if all you're doing is HDMI capture. I was using it to do analog capture of old tapes as well. (Analog dongle not shown in picture.) No tuner.

Any decent capture card with HDMI input will do. The key component is one of the splitters listed above.

As with all such products, check reviews if there is a better/updated version of the software than comes in the box. Also check Windows 8 or WMC compatibility if that is important to you. (This one is "yes" for Windows 8, "no" for WMC.)
Old 05-26-2014, 01:14 AM   #17
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhroyse View Post
To address HDCP "issues":

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am quite pleased with the results.
Are you saying using that splitter somehow disables HDCP? If so it may be worth grabbing one for future proofing reasons.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #18
aaronwt
HD Addict

It should do the opposite. It should make sure HDCP stays active. I used one with my TiVo Mini, Slingbox350, and XBOne to help avoid HDCP issues.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #19
ftg

I'm not sure of the actual mechanism. Mine just allows me to connect my TiVo to my PC without getting an error message. (As well as acting as a splitter and allowing a long HDMI run which sometimes causes a problem for HDCP timing.)
Old 05-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #20
dbtom

Quote:
The 350 doesn't have HDMI in/out. You are going analog that way. And if you're going analog capture, there's a lot of cheaper, direct alternatives.

The 500 (twice as costly) does have HDMI, but then you're still stuck with the issue of HDCP. And so a few more $s on top of that.

Neither alone does what the OP requires. I don't see where "simple" comes into play with Slingboxes and TiVo HDMI outputs.
It is true that the 350 is analog, but I don't see the point of jumping through all these hoops just to use HDMI / digital.

Yes, there are cheaper analog capture cards (I have those too), but the slingbox is a far simpler and more flexible solution. Worth the small premium in my opinion.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #21
ftg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbtom View Post
It is true that the 350 is analog, but I don't see the point of jumping through all these hoops just to use HDMI / digital.

Yes, there are cheaper analog capture cards (I have those too), but the slingbox is a far simpler and more flexible solution. Worth the small premium in my opinion.
Hoops? Let's see, in order to record an inferior signal you need a TiVo, a PC and a Slingbox. Oh, and you have to control all 3 at the same time to do a capture.

Vs. A TiVo, a PC with a HDMI input port (which you might have already) and a cheap little "splitter". Only the TiVo and PC need to be controlled to do a capture.

And the digital HDMI capture card doesn't have to be all that fancy. You can save money if you drop analog and ATSC inputs. Mine doesn't have coax inputs. (I have a card with a tuner, but it's sitting in a box, no longer used.)

So the tradeoff is a splitter and digital capture card instead of a Slingbox which together are around the same or cheaper. And controlling 2 devices instead of 3. Plus you get a digital copy. Seems like a no-brainer.

A Slingbox is a nice thing to have for some people. But there's no reason to go analog nowadays and the digital one is much more expensive and still needs the splitter in this case.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #22
moyekj

Quote:
A Slingbox is a nice thing to have for some people. But there's no reason to go analog nowadays and the digital one is much more expensive and still needs the splitter in this case.
I'm still curious how you are bypassing HDCP for HDMI captures? Else basically you are restricted to capturing unencrypted cable channels only which are the same set of channels you can capture OTA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #23
rhroyse

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Are you saying using that splitter somehow disables HDCP? If so it may be worth grabbing one for future proofing reasons.
I am saying that after I installed that splitter, I no longer had any issues with using only an HDMI connection to my slingbox. So...
Old 05-27-2014, 07:07 PM   #24
rhroyse

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It should do the opposite. It should make sure HDCP stays active. I used one with my TiVo Mini, Slingbox350, and XBOne to help avoid HDCP issues.
Your response confuses me. Why would you use the splitter I linked to preserve the HDCP chain? It is a splitter "with benefits".
Old 05-27-2014, 09:14 PM   #25
dbtom

Quote:
Hoops? Let's see, in order to record an inferior signal you need a TiVo, a PC and a Slingbox. Oh, and you have to control all 3 at the same time to do a capture.

Vs. A TiVo, a PC with a HDMI input port (which you might have already) and a cheap little "splitter". Only the TiVo and PC need to be controlled to do a capture.

And the digital HDMI capture card doesn't have to be all that fancy. You can save money if you drop analog and ATSC inputs. Mine doesn't have coax inputs. (I have a card with a tuner, but it's sitting in a box, no longer used.)

So the tradeoff is a splitter and digital capture card instead of a Slingbox which together are around the same or cheaper. And controlling 2 devices instead of 3. Plus you get a digital copy. Seems like a no-brainer.

I was responding to the original posters' message. He said:

"I have found a couple HDMI capture cards that are typically use for recording game play, but I am not sure if they will work. I am not looking to record, just display TiVo in a window on a Windows8 desktop."

Seems that 1) he had no equipment and 2) he was not looking to record. Regardless, the HDMI signal is generally indistinguishable from its analog counterpart and you don't need to deal with HDCP. I've never been able to get through the HDCP issues with HDMI. Maybe you've had better luck...
Old 05-27-2014, 10:57 PM   #26
moyekj

Quote:
I am saying that after I installed that splitter, I no longer had any issues with using only an HDMI connection to my slingbox. So...
Interesting, thanks for confirming!

Old 05-28-2014, 12:47 AM   #27
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Not knowing how HDCP works, this is pure speculation:

Is it possible that what is happening is that since one output of the splitter is going to a legitimate destination that is presumably doing all of the necessary handshaking, the source doesn't even know that the splitter and a second destination exists?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:46 AM   #28
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

Your response confuses me. Why would you use the splitter I linked to preserve the HDCP chain? It is a splitter "with benefits".
I use several HDMI splitters. HDCP is still active on them as reported by my DUO video processor.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #29
ftg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I use several HDMI splitters. HDCP is still active on them as reported by my DUO video processor.
There are plain splitters and there are special ones. The first one I used (got from Monoprice) was just a splitter. Couldn't use it to connect to my PC. The one I mentioned above does something extra. I can do full HDMI viewing/capturing on a PC now of anything my TiVo can play.

You just have to know which ones to buy.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:53 AM   #30
cherry ghost

Quote:
There are plain splitters and there are special ones. The first one I used (got from Monoprice) was just a splitter. Couldn't use it to connect to my PC. The one I mentioned above does something extra. I can do full HDMI viewing/capturing on a PC now of anything my TiVo can play.

You just have to know which ones to buy.

I know you don't use the 2-port, but do you know if it also does something extra?
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote