TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Lost 10 Year Anniversary

It's been 10 years since the premiere of Lost! My, oh my, how time flies.

I thought this was a good writeup on the greatness that was Lost (and the dreck that has followed it on network TV). It makes me want to go back and re-watch Lost, which I might do. I was waiting until my kids were old enough to watch it with me. They're 9 - not sure that it's the perfect age but maybe close enough. Andy Greenwald says (in the linked article) that he misses Lost like crazy, and I do, too!

The Legacy of Lost
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
stellie93

Great article--thanks. I miss it too. I hate when people suggest this or that is the next Lost. Never happened--never will. Also it was during the first season of Lost that a friend recommended this site to me when I wondered how he always noticed stuff I missed.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
pmyers

Lost...the show I loved to hate!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Seems crazy that it was 10 years ago. (Or 20 for Friends)

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #5
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Great article, thanks for sharing.

I do miss it.

Not just the show but the afterwards that came - I was part of a group of LOSTies that hung out online in a couple forums and then went on to create our own private one (about 40 members) and we would all jump online after an episode and chat about it for hours. We even tried live group chats but that didn't work as well as just posting in threads. We didn't care about spoilers. We had a blast. We even had a couple meets and a few of us are still friends via FB. It was good times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Great article, thanks for sharing.

I do miss it.

Not just the show but the afterwards that came - I was part of a group of LOSTies that hung out online in a couple forums and then went on to create our own private one (about 40 members) and we would all jump online after an episode and chat about it for hours. We even tried live group chats but that didn't work as well as just posting in threads. We didn't care about spoilers. We had a blast. We even had a couple meets and a few of us are still friends via FB. It was good times.
I miss that sort of thing, too. We had a "discussion group" at work that would go to lunch together and discuss the show each week, and the forum here was a lot of fun, too.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
I miss that sort of thing, too. We had a "discussion group" at work that would go to lunch together and discuss the show each week, and the forum here was a lot of fun, too.
Yeah, the forum here was great, I just didn't know TiVo or TCF was around then.

I found a slew of dvd's that I had recorded episodes. From season one and two. I think I still have that dvd / vhs player/ recorder upstairs in a closet. It would take a vhs and transfer to dvd. I can't remember how it recorded the dvd's off the screen. There were some smallvilles in that mix too. Maybe we recorded them as vhs and then transfered? I don't know. I just remember how joyous I was in Dec. 2006 when I rec'd our first TiVo and learned what it could do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #8
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe View Post
Seems crazy that it was 10 years ago. (Or 20 for Friends)
Weird, Friends seems almost older than that, to me.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I found a slew of dvd's that I had recorded episodes. From season one and two. I think I still have that dvd / vhs player/ recorder upstairs in a closet. It would take a vhs and transfer to dvd. I can't remember how it recorded the dvd's off the screen. There were some smallvilles in that mix too. Maybe we recorded them as vhs and then transfered?
DVD recorders (that don't have to be put into computers) do exist; in fact, I still have two of them. (Since they don't have digital tuners, one is pretty much a doorstop, while I use the other to record audio from my satellite radio.) I don't know how they did this, but they managed to find a way to make them a bigger pain to program than VCRs.

Speaking of Lost, despite the popularity of the show, I still find it hard to find somebody who can name more than one or two actors who were on it - not the characters, but the actors. Even on VH1's old World Series of Pop Culture show, the contestants were expected to name the actors from the first season of Beverly Hills 90210 (including the two who played Brandon and Brenda's parents), even though that was over ten years beforehand, but for Lost, which was still in production at the time, they only had to know the characters' names.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
LOL I would say ask me, because I could.

Terry O'Quinn - actually has a house a few miles north of me.
Matthew Fox
Josh Holloway - sexiest man on the show
Domenic - the guy from Lord of the Rings
Harold - "WALT" - a guy that has now been on a few failing shows

That's all I can remember off the top of my head but with photos I may do better.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #11
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
It makes me want to go back and re-watch Lost, which I might do.
Once you know all the answers to the mysteries (including which mysteries will not be answered), it takes all the fun out of it. For me, the fun was going online and speculating about what was going on, and then (more often than not) being proven right.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #12
gweempose

I really miss Lost. Yes, it had its flaws, but it was still one of the best shows in the history of TV.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #13
whitson77
Director Level

Man, I loved Lost. Best show on TV every season it was on, until the season 5.

Then, they didn't stick the landing in my opinion. Just a shame, because of that failing I have no interest in watching it again.
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #14
wprager

Re-watched it twice already (with the boys). Will do again when the girls are a little older.

Don't care that they didn't "stick the landing" -- the performance leading up to it was exceptional. And it wasn't about the mysteries (well, not all) -- the characters and writing were top-notch.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:09 PM   #15
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
DVD recorders (that don't have to be put into computers) do exist; in fact, I still have two of them. (Since they don't have digital tuners, one is pretty much a doorstop, while I use the other to record audio from my satellite radio.) I don't know how they did this, but they managed to find a way to make them a bigger pain to program than VCRs.
Wow, I don't know which one you have, but the one I have (Toshiba XS32), fixed a HUGE number of the "VCR-like programming" faults, while still being manual programming.

Things it improved on, while still being "manual" recording
* You could turn on/off individual recording slots without deleting them
* way more recording slots.. I think 32.. At one point, I did actually run into this limit I think, but mostly it was a non-issue.. (probably because I had a bunch of inactive recording slots ready to turn back on)
* you could NAME recordings. That is, manually put in the name. So my NBC 5:30-6 recording would be called IIRC "NBC News <DATE>" instead of "channel # date time"

The bad things about it -- I hosed its original hard drive because it hung and I force powered it off (uggh).. Later I realized that even though that is a fault, it actually did/does seem to have separate programming for the DVD and hard drive portions, and eventually DOES come out of these hang modes (e.g. bad DVD) after MANY MANY minutes..

The original DVD burner was a piece of !@$# and replacements were expensive as heck.. I have a replacement PC drive hooked up and it mostly works (and the top has been off of it for years), except for unfinalized original DVDs..

While I too don't use it as much due to it not having a digital tuner, I still dub stuff from my Tivos to it sometimes, to watch faster than realtime. (While I also use VLC on an iPad, I realized some things, e.g. America's Got Talent, are easier to watch this way -- faster than realtime for all of the 'fluff' including judging, regular speed for the actual performance.)
Old 09-25-2014, 10:30 PM   #16
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post

Re-watched it twice already (with the boys). Will do again when the girls are a little older.

Don't care that they didn't "stick the landing" -- the performance leading up to it was exceptional. And it wasn't about the mysteries (well, not all) -- the characters and writing were top-notch.
I agree with you completely. The fact that the show stumbled toward the end doesn't change the fact that it was positively brilliant for most of its run.

By the way, how old were your sons when you watched it with them. I have 10-year-old twins, and my wife and I want to show Lost to them badly. They are definitely old enough now to be entertained by it, but I'm worried that they would better grasp the intricacies of the plot in a couple more years.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:07 AM   #17
Peter000

I loved it while it was airing, but just don't have the desire yet to go back and watch it. And I even have the whole series on Blu-ray.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:20 AM   #18
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitson77 View Post

Then, they didn't stick the landing in my opinion. Just a shame, because of that failing I have no interest in watching it again.

I feel the same way.
Bought the 1st several seasons in Blu-Ray figuring I'd then buy the final season with maybe extras. Because of the Epic Fail of the last season with the two bozo brothers I have never watched it. Never expected the LOST writers to screw the pooch with the ending the way Roland Moore did with Battlestar Galactica.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:06 PM   #19
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

I miss the show, and can't wait to re-watch it with my son in a few years (he's 11 right now). I liked the ending, so it's not sullied in my mind in any way, even though the show kinda got lost (heh) back in S3 for awhile.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #20
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Speaking of Lost, despite the popularity of the show, I still find it hard to find somebody who can name more than one or two actors who were on it - not the characters, but the actors. Even on VH1's old World Series of Pop Culture show, the contestants were expected to name the actors from the first season of Beverly Hills 90210 (including the two who played Brandon and Brenda's parents), even though that was over ten years beforehand, but for Lost, which was still in production at the time, they only had to know the characters' names.
From memory:

Matthew Fox
Evangeline Lilly
Josh Holloway
Dominic Monaghan
Terry O'Quinn
Daniel Dae Kim
Harold Perrineau
Elizabeth Mitchell
Matthew Emerson
Jorge Garcia
Naveen Andrew
Yunjin Kim (?)
Henry Ian Cusick
Old 09-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #21
BradJW

I watched the first half of the pilot last night. I'm officially doing a re-watch now. I started watching Lost during reruns after the first season, and ABC only showed about 18-20 episodes during reruns, so a few episodes in the first season I've never seen.

This should be fun.

I will say this though - I loved Lost and even enjoyed the finale (for the most part) but overall I still was more interested in the mysteries rather than the characters, and I would have liked a bit more resolution (or at least screentime) for some of the mysteries.

However, I still loved Lost and I still miss it too.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:44 PM   #22
wombat94

I started a long-awaited Lost rewatch with my daughters this summer (they are 12 and 9) and we are REALLY enjoying it.

I'm deliberately NOT binge watching it with them because I want them to experience at least SOME of the feeling of sitting with the cliffhangers and ruminating on the losses and revelations.

We're about a third of the way through Season 2 (on Tuesday night we watched "Abandoned" and the long-awaited connection of Sayid and Shannon followed by the almost immediate loss of Shannon hit them every bit as hard as it did me 9 years ago... and it would have been lessened by going right into another episode.

Lost is a real example of the pinnacle of episodic storytelling at its finest.
wombat94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #23
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitson77 View Post

Agreed. So much awesome.

The episode that opened with the eye, and introduced us to the dude living in the hatch with the Mommas and the Pappas song.

So good. Can't remember being as into a show as Lost.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:03 PM   #24
mattack

Quote:
Speaking of Lost, despite the popularity of the show, I still find it hard to find somebody who can name more than one or two actors who were on it - not the characters, but the actors.
The guy from Party of Five
The chick from that dating hotline commercial
The guy from Lord of the Rings..
The guy from Millenium.

Mostly kidding, but that's how I usually remember people (and even in the past, if I can't remember what CURRENT show someone is in, sometimes I have had to go through a several-people-line to find them again).
Old 09-26-2014, 10:17 PM   #25
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
From memory:

Matthew Fox
Evangeline Lilly
Josh Holloway
Dominic Monaghan
Terry O'Quinn
Daniel Dae Kim
Harold Perrineau
Elizabeth Mitchell
Matthew Michael Emerson
Jorge Garcia
Naveen Andrew
Yunjin Kim (?)
Henry Ian Cusick
[Maxwell Smart]Missed it by that much.[/smart]

Some others off the top of my head:

Nestor Carbonel
Ian Sommerhalder
Emilie de Ravin
Michelle Rodriguez
Clancy Brown
Alan Dale
Cynthia Watros
Malcolm David Kelley
Mark Pellegrino
Alison Janney
Kevin Durand
William Mapother

These ones I can't remember completely (they're driving me crazy):

Adewale A__ A_______ (Mr. Eko, can't remember how to spell it)
Jeff _______ (airplane pilot)

Can't believe I can't think of the actresses names who played Penny and Shannon. Can't count the number of times I ended up on their IMDb pages while watching the show.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #26
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I've now gone and looked at IMDb because it was killing me, and I can't believe how many others I would have known their names if I could have simply thought of the characters.

But another thing that surprised me as I'm going through the list of the cast is how many of these people I know from other things but have no recollection of them being on LOST:

Julie Bowen (Claire from Modern Family) was in 5 episodes
Katey Sagal (Married with Children, Sons of Anarchy) was in 4 episodes
Lance Reddick (The Wire, Fringe) was in 4 episodes
Reiko Aylesworth (Michelle from 24) was in 3 episodes
Grant Bowler (Nolan on Defiance) was in 3 episodes
Cheech Marin (Cheech and Chong) was in 3 episodes
Rob McElhenney (Mac from It's Always Sunny ...) was in 2 episodes
Lana Parilla (Regina from Once Upon A Time) was in 2 episodes
Robert Patrick (T-1000 from Terminator 2) was in 1 episode
Nathan Fillion (Firefly, Castle) was in 1 episode
Dean Norris (Hank from Breaking Bad) was in 1 episode
Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian) played Himself in 1 episode
Ian Gomez (Andy from Cougar Town) was in 1 episode
Carrie Preston (The Good Wife, True Blood) was in 1 episode
Andrea Roth (Rescue Me and the inspiration for the Hot Actresses over 40 thread) was in 1 episode
Patrick J. Adams (Mike from Suits) was in 1 episode
Michelle Forbes (24, The Killing) was in 1 episode
Old 09-26-2014, 11:44 PM   #27
wprager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I agree with you completely. The fact that the show stumbled toward the end doesn't change the fact that it was positively brilliant for most of its run.

By the way, how old were your sons when you watched it with them. I have 10-year-old twins, and my wife and I want to show Lost to them badly. They are definitely old enough now to be entertained by it, but I'm worried that they would better grasp the intricacies of the plot in a couple more years.
My oldest was 14 and loved it. His brother, a year and a half younger, didn't make it to the second episode. But he is quite sensitive. Two years later he watched it and loved it.

The girls are just turning 12 on a couple of months. They're good with Chuck and White Collar and Drop Dead Diva, for now. Maybe Lost next year.
Old 09-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #28
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
The episode that opened with the eye, and introduced us to the dude living in the hatch with the Mommas and the Pappas song.
That may have been my favorite episode. What was so great about it was that when it started and we're hearing the song and seeing a kind of civilized home after all we had been seeing was the island I actually thought I had recorded the wrong show. And they stayed with that for a little while and again I still wasn't sure it was Lost. Finally when they showed the tunnel leading to the hatch all I said was WOW!!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #29
wprager

It's hard for me to pick out a favorite episode. I prefer favorite scenes. One of my favorites was Kate and Sawyer playing "I never" -- thought that was excellently written and acted. Many, many scenes with Sun's wordless acting stand out as well. Maybe the biggest "Whoa!" moment -- for me -- was when it's revealed that Jack is talking to Kate (just before he says "We have to go back!") I must admit that my first reaction was not that it was a flash forward, but that, somehow, Jack knew Kate before the Island. But, regardless of *what* you first thought, that's one of the biggest "Whoa!" moments.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #30
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
Agreed. So much awesome.

So good. Can't remember being as into a show as Lost.
Desmond's Introduction