TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

The Walking Dead "Consumed" 11/16/14 | Talking Dead 11/16/14 No preview spoilers

What purpose did the burning the body scene serve? It's like it was only made to be shown as a teaser preview.

I was hoping that Carol would fake injury to get into the hospital as part of a plan, but getting hit by a car works. And how inexperienced are those guys that hit her? they didn't even pretend to look for anyone else.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:30 PM   #2
Azlen

What purpose did the entire episode serve? You could have had Daryl do a quick recap to the group that would have taken less than 30 seconds. Seems like the only thing this type of episode does is allow AMC to save money by not having to pay the full cast for the episode.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:01 AM   #3
SnakeEyes

Because this show/comic is about characters.
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:25 AM   #4
Beryl

I enjoyed the episode and do believe Carol would have killed the kid. (Not that I blame her.)
Beryl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:40 AM   #5
SnakeEyes

In the apocalypse, shooting someone thats alone, in the leg, is likely the same as aiming to kill.

And she was clearly aiming higher
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:54 AM   #6
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I thought she was clearly aiming for Noah's legs. Carol still has her own moral code and she will only kill when she feels it's absolutely necessary.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #7
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
What purpose did the burning the body scene serve? It's like it was only made to be shown as a teaser preview.
He couldn't bury them. They usually bury the ones they care about. So he did the next best thing as a show of respect to Carol. I thought it was a very touching gesture.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:44 AM   #8
2004raptor

Decent episode. I too thought Carol was aiming a bit high instead of at the leg but I didn't re watch so I'm not certain. I would have thought killing him was the best option.

I'm not really a fan of the episode only covering a few of the characters though. I'd rather them show some scenes of all of them, current day, and leave out some of the flashbacks. I know flashbacks have importance.

Can't believe only 2 shows left.
2004raptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #9
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
What purpose did the entire episode serve? You could have had Daryl do a quick recap to the group that would have taken less than 30 seconds. Seems like the only thing this type of episode does is allow AMC to save money by not having to pay the full cast for the episode.
Seriously???? - if you ask this question then I would say The Walking Dead is not the show for you.

I gotta say this was my favorite episode since the season premiere. I love Carol, she's probably become my favorite character and no doubt this was her episode.

We as viewers spent a long time not knowing what happened to her so to have them pick up her storyline was awesome.

I loved the vignettes of seeing all the things that she has gone through in snippets since Rick asked her to leave.
In fact, I LOVED that they showed what happened to her when she left in the car in that first few days including her decision to go back to the prison and seeing the tower on fire.

I would suspect that this episode cost way more than just actor salaries - all of the ON location shooting in Atlanta alone must have cost an arm and a leg. Yeah I realize a lot of it must have been CGI but at the very least Carol and Darryl running through the streets and on the bridge must have been partially done for real.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #10
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I liked this episode. It was cool to see the "urban warfare" side of the ZA: it seems in many way to be a lot safer in the city than the woods: you have tons of places to hole up that are or can be made safe: lots of sturdy doors, things to use to block them, etc. You have an extra dimension (height) that's easily accessible. The issues are (a) getting trapped: you'd have to be very careful about always leaving yourself a way out. Once you get surrounded you're likely stuck since walkers don't get bored or starve, and (b) resources: eventually you'd run out of things to scavenge and you'd have to take bigger and bigger risks. And of course one assumes a higher density of walkers in the city.

The one thing that was odd about this episode were Carol's flashbacks. For the most part they were so short and seemed to have so little to do with the current situation that they almost seemed like editing mistakes where someone cut the film incorrectly. I did enjoy getting a little insight into her situation when she was on her own though.

That skybridge was interesting. There didn't seem to be any walkers moving around which makes you wonder how all the people in the skybridge died. Maybe they all caught whatever disease was going around the prison? Or something else?

Personally I doubt Carol was shooting at Noah's legs. I mean what are the odds you're going to his someone's legs while they're running? Plus she was really upset that they had lost their weapons.

My favorite part: walker bridge diving. As soon as they started hitting the van roof I said to myself "of COURSE they're going to walk off the bridge!" Before that I hadn't considered it at all. Good stuff.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #11
2004raptor

Speaking of odd things/flashbacks...

What was the deal with the ~5 second flashback of Rick on the ground with Morgan (I think that's his name?) standing over him holding him at gunpoint. Or did something happen with my local station and I miss more of it. I'm thinking it wasn't even 30 minutes into the show and my wife and I were skipping commercials. Stopped at that point because it looked like the show was coming back on and then after a few seconds cut right back out to continue commercials????????
Old 11-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #12
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

That was a commercial. It was a scene from last season (I think). I'm not sure for what; maybe the DVD release?
Old 11-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #13
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

What was Carol doing in the apartment when she was attaching what looked like plastic baggies to hangers outside the kitchen window?

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #14
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I would guess collecting rainwater.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #15
Shaunnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
That was a commercial. It was a scene from last season (I think). I'm not sure for what; maybe the DVD release?
That was from the first episode, and was indeed a commercial for the show. SOA has been doing the same thing this season, showing a scene from the first season as a commercial. Its amazing sometimes to see the change in the character from such an early point to now.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #16
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
That was from the first episode, and was indeed a commercial for the show. SOA has been doing the same thing this season, showing a scene from the first season as a commercial. Its amazing sometimes to see the change in the character from such an early point to now.
I think its a trick to get DVR people to stop on the fast forward.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #17
2004raptor

Quote:
OK, I didn't recall it so I thought they were starting a flashback scene at first. Just picking nits but that was poorly done.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #18
2004raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
I think its a trick to get DVR people to stop on the fast forward.
Then it was a success.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #19
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Many shows are doing this now. I've noticed it on Top Chef and Bar Rescue among others - little snippets of film to get you to stop and rewind.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #20
pmyers

I was a little surprised at the lack of walkers in that city and I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be Atlanta (the same place Rick went to on horseback) or another town.

If the streets really are that clear of walkers, then I agree that the city is a better place than in the woods.

And I LOVE seeing them use the fire trick. I don't know why it works but I love that they have figured it out and use it to their advantage.
pmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #21
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I was a little surprised at the lack of walkers in that city and I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be Atlanta (the same place Rick went to on horseback) or another town.

If the streets really are that clear of walkers, then I agree that the city is a better place than in the woods.

And I LOVE seeing them use the fire trick. I don't know why it works but I love that they have figured it out and use it to their advantage.
The city seems fine, but as they saw on the bridge, you could quickly get overrun.

Out in the woods you can run in 360 degree, in the city you can get boxed in (as mentioned above) a LOT quicker. And no animals to hunt or water to get easily.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #22
flyers088
tcf junior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
It showed the relief that Carol had that she didn't have to do all the work anymore. When they went to the door Carol was ready to do what she needed to do to the walkers. Daryl stopped her and took care of it himself. He showed her you don't have to do it all on your own anymore. He is trying to make her a member of a group.

You could see the sense of relief in Carol when she woke up and saw the smoke and realized she didn't have to do the heavy lifting all the time. The flashbacks provided the context that Carol was doing everything that had to be done on her own since the prison.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #23
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers088 View Post
It showed the relief that Carol had that she didn't have to do all the work anymore. When they went to the door Carol was ready to do what she needed to do to the walkers. Daryl stopped her and took care of it himself. He showed her you don't have to do it all on your own anymore. He is trying to make her a member of a group.

You could see the sense of relief in Carol when she woke up and saw the smoke and realized she didn't have to do the heavy lifting all the time. The flashbacks provided the context that Carol was doing everything that had to be done on her own since the prison.
That and the HUGE aspect that Carol couldn't "kill" the mother and daughter that were there to escape abusive relationships, since it hit VERY close to home. And she was happy to see them get a proper funeral/burning burial.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #24
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
Speaking of odd things/flashbacks...

What was the deal with the ~5 second flashback of Rick on the ground with Morgan (I think that's his name?) standing over him holding him at gunpoint. Or did something happen with my local station and I miss more of it. I'm thinking it wasn't even 30 minutes into the show and my wife and I were skipping commercials. Stopped at that point because it looked like the show was coming back on and then after a few seconds cut right back out to continue commercials????????
Quote:
They have been showing past scenes during commercial breaks for the last few episodes at least.

markz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #25
BlearyEyed
BlearyEyed

Quote:
I thought in one scene I saw a tank, not sure if it was supposed to represent the same one Rick was involved with on his trip to/through Atlanta in season one, but I thought it was a cool callback.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #26
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
The city seems fine, but as they saw on the bridge, you could quickly get overrun.

Out in the woods you can run in 360 degree, in the city you can get boxed in (as mentioned above) a LOT quicker. And no animals to hunt or water to get easily.
Of course the other side of that is that things can come at you from 360 degrees!

That prison is looking more and more like the dream place for long term survival.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #27
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlearyEyed View Post
I thought in one scene I saw a tank, not sure if it was supposed to represent the same one Rick was involved with on his trip to/through Atlanta in season one, but I thought it was a cool callback.
Yeah it definitely was that one! Probably also to show how it's changed there, from overrun to pretty open. Give us a landmark we know

Old 11-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #28
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
It was definitely supposed to be Atlanta. They even briefly showed the tank that Rick hid in.

ETA: Oops, someone interrupted me before I finished my post and BlearyEyed beat me.

markz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #29
JohnB1000

I liked seeing the tank

A good episode, they hit so hard in the first two episodes this seasons it's hard to get used to the slower pace again but I enjoyed it. With only two episodes left though I hope things come back together before the break.

Always good to see Caryl (or is that Darol?).

Last edited by JohnB1000 : 11-17-2014 at 10:55 AM.
JohnB1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #30
pmyers

wow...I didn't notice the tank. I'll have rewatch for that. I wonder if the horse carcass is still there...lol