TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Revolution - SE02E01 - "Born In The USA"

Strange things are afoot in the air!

Off to a grand start. There seem to be an awful lot of strange acting lightning bugs. And, who are these new "war" gang guys? And, are those people from the Cuba "colony" the real American government or another interested party?

For those who were always criticizing Aaron about his weight, looks like he lost some over the hiatus.

I knew if we gave the writers enough time, they'd figure out a way to bring "living dead" into the series.

Discussion?

Last edited by mrdbdigital : 09-25-2013 at 09:25 PM.
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbdigital View Post
Discussion?
just as bad as it was last season

totally unwatchable

kept flipping back and forth from Revolution and The Middle

by the time the big ship with the USA flag and crew sailed in I had lost all interest

I'll be sticking with The Middle every Wednesday from now on
jamesl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Unwatchable hot mess.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Wait . .umm, what? Are we going supernatural? Or is this another nuclear Godzilla story?

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
ADG
Allan

The first season was watchable, but if this is an indication of what season 2 is going to be like my TiVo will have one less season pass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #6
allan
I survived the Mayan

I did spew Coke when Miles told Charlie to "keep the stupid to a minimum".

BEEP
allan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
I did spew Coke when Miles told Charlie to "keep the stupid to a minimum".
I wondered if that was a little bit of self-reflection, based on what the showrunners have said about how they went astray last season...
Old 09-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

this season better pick up soon, or my sp will join the join the power - gone. after getting an interesting conclusion to last season, the premier was a big letdown for me.

i can't believe they skipped past a resolution to last season's finale, in order to piece together another seemingly endless flashback loop to start this season. the time bounce reveals, combined with my lack of interest, leave me with little patience for another slow build storyline arc excuse from the producers 3 months from now.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

So are we to understand that they got the power working at the end of last season, but then immediately killed it in an effort to try and stop the nukes? They managed to kill the power, probably for good this time, while the nukes still hit their intended targets of Philly and Atlanta.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

This show is all over the place. I'm not sure it really knows what it wants to be.

If they could turn on and off the power, why couldn't they just do it again? And why aren't they just staying at the tower, trying to work on the power some more instead of moving to some other small town? Aaron is a computer whiz so it seems he should have been able to turn it on yet again.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post

So are we to understand that they got the power working at the end of last season, but then immediately killed it in an effort to try and stop the nukes? They managed to kill the power, probably for good this time, while the nukes still hit their intended targets of Philly and Atlanta.
It would appear so.

Very weak start to the season.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
This show is all over the place. I'm not sure it really knows what it wants to be.

If they could turn on and off the power, why couldn't they just do it again? And why aren't they just staying at the tower, trying to work on the power some more instead of moving to some other small town? Aaron is a computer whiz so it seems he should have been able to turn it on yet again.
this

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

I think the fact that they turned on the power and within 10 minutes there were millions of people dead due to Randall launching the nukes. My guess is that they all feel guilty about that and are afraid of what would happen if the power were turned back on long term. I also got the sense (although it wasn't well explained) that the efforts Aaron was taking to turn the power back off were going to be permanent and irreversible.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I also suspect they're not done with that. It seems that "six months ago" flashbacks are going to take the place of the "before the lights went out" flashbacks last season, and they'll be filling in a lot of what happened in the immediate aftermath of the Tower drama.

(And you just know that couldn't end well. Any IT tech will tell you, it's "turn the power off, then back on," not the other way around.)
Old 09-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Yup. (well, it's not clear about the "killed the power for good" part.)

And now were are still doing time line jumping.

Arghhhhhh.......

As far as the government of the USA coming back, I too immediately wondered if it was truly the REAL US government. We saw someone moving into the White House. is it the same person that was told "Time to go home, Mr. PResident" in the final scene of the season 1 premier? We never saw faces.

Maybe we will have the REAL US government battling an impostor one?

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #16
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

If the final scene of S1 was "Time to go home, Mr. President," then why did it take them six months to get from Cuba to Savannah?

Also, if Atlanta was nuked, wouldn't Savannah (being generally east of Atlanta) be "downwind" and therefore not a suitable place for the refugee camp to be located? Shouldn't they be somewhere west of Atlanta?
Old 09-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #17
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
If the final scene of S1 was "Time to go home, Mr. President," then why did it take them six months to get from Cuba to Savannah?

Also, if Atlanta was nuked, wouldn't Savannah (being generally east of Atlanta) be "downwind" and therefore not a suitable place for the refugee camp to be located? Shouldn't they be somewhere west of Atlanta?
I don't think The President was on the ship coming into Savannah. Rather, he should have been the person shown moving into the White House in Washington D.C.

Being west of Atlanta doesn't put them on the coast if you stay in Georgia. But you could be in Mobile

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #18
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
I don't think The President was on the ship coming into Savannah. Rather, he should have been the person shown moving into the White House in Washington D.C.
I wasn't saying POTUS was on the ship. Just found it odd that it took them six months to get a ship from Cuba to Savannah, and six months for people to start working on cleaning up the White House.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
Being west of Atlanta doesn't put them on the coast if you stay in Georgia. But you could be in Mobile
I realize they wouldn't be on the coast if they were west of Atlanta. I'm simply saying that since the prevaliing winds in our hemisphere go west to east, it doesn't make sense for the refugee came to be east of Atlanta, due to the fallout. But then of course they wouldn't be able to show a ship sailing into the harbor if they were west of ATL.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #19
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:

Quote:
I think the fact that they turned on the power and within 10 minutes there were millions of people dead due to Randall launching the nukes. My guess is that they all feel guilty about that and are afraid of what would happen if the power were turned back on long term. I also got the sense (although it wasn't well explained) that the efforts Aaron was taking to turn the power back off were going to be permanent and irreversible.
As it stands now, I have no idea why they didn't they turn the power back on after turning it off to attempt to stop the nukes.

I'm guessing that the writer's out will be that Rachel had a breakdown after the nukes hit and they had to get her out of the tower.

"Hot Mess" is the correct term though as it was very disjointed and hard to follow with Charlie tramping across the country after Monroe and the Nevilles doing the survivor thing.

I was impressed that they had the cojones to kill off Aaron, then they brought him back to life.

Hot mess, indeed.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #20
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I realize they wouldn't be on the coast if they were west of Atlanta. I'm simply saying that since the prevaliing winds in our hemisphere go west to east, it doesn't make sense for the refugee came to be east of Atlanta, due to the fallout. But then of course they wouldn't be able to show a ship sailing into the harbor if they were west of ATL.
The prevailing winds in Georgia usually flow from the S and the SE to the NW, due mostly in part of the air warming and rising over the land being replaced by the cooler ocean sea breeze from the Atlantic and the Gulf. We have a lot of thunderstorms here also because this moist air constantly collides with the dryer eastbound air from the western states. So, in this case, the fallout would likely be moving to the NW, leaving Savannah mostly free from fallout.

That's my 2 cents of weather forecasting from living in South GA.

Last edited by mrdbdigital : 09-26-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #21
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
So...uh....all the "heroes" of the show had a swift, sudden conversion to Amish-ism?

I saw Juliette and Charlie both wearing clothes with buttons. Tramps!

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #22
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Two things were worthwhile in this episode: Miles telling Charlie to tone down the stupid and the carnival barker trying to lure people into a tent to see "David Schwimmer, the last surviving Friend!"

It really does look like the writers are just going to conveniently skip over any large occurrence that needs any sort of explanation and give themselves a few months to come up with something marginally not stupid in flashbacks. It's like a reverse deus ex machina.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #23
jamesl

I just don't understand the writers and what they're trying to do

the season ended on a high note with a really interesting cliff hanger
I was really excited to see what happens next

surely they'll turn the power back off, the bombs will fall harmlessly to the ground, the heroes will hold up in the bunker ...
they'll restore electricity after the bombs fall down, they'll use the bunker to setup a command center where they'll be leading the "revolution" against the restored US government

oh, this is going to be a great episode
I can't wait

and then how does the episode start ?

"I don't want to talk about the power, let's strip and have sex"

the OP, mrdbdigital, liked the episode, but I just don't get the writing

if they had made it so the restored US government was going to be an even worse dictatorship than any of the existing confederations and the heroes were going lead a revolution to fight against them in order to restore a free, democratic, constitutional USA then I would be all over it
I would watch that every week without fail

but the writers just ..
I don't know

"let's start the episode with them stripping and having sex"

what are the writers thinking ?

the show just isn't what I thought it would be and I'm not sure what the show actually is
jamesl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #24
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
if they had made it so the restored US government was going to be an even worse dictatorship than any of the existing confederations and the heroes were going lead a revolution to fight against them in order to restore a free, democratic, constitutional USA then I would be all over it. I would watch that every week without fail
We don't know anything about the supposed US government return yet. It's only the first show. Give them a chance. They may very well be setting up the new US government as the new bad guys.

We'll find out what happened in the previous 6 months. Looks like they are going to do that with flashbacks. I think I would be pretty messed up if I found out what I had done had resulted in the deaths of a couple of million people. I don't fault Rachel for that.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #25
PotentiallyCoherent

Quote:

Savannah is on the coast, and the winds are predominantly from the ocean.
PotentiallyCoherent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #26
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotentiallyCoherent View Post
Savannah is on the coast, and the winds are predominantly from the ocean.
See post #20.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:03 AM   #27
Church AV Guy

No one mentioned Aaron's line about things getting Ducovnian weird. an X-Files reference!

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #28
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I kinda liked the episode...that is, until the end when they brought back Aaron. I thought the writers said they wanted to make this into a survival story not a supernatural / Sci Fi one, yet it looks like that's exactly what they are doing with that. I too am hoping they tell us more about what happened in the aftermath of the nukes going off and why they can't bring back the power (I think I recall Aaron saying that if they turned the power back off, he thought it would be permanent at the end of last season).

It was weird when they panned over the refugee camp and all the fires were burning, at first I thought they had lights.

I'm not quite sure what they are doing with Charlie's character. Does she turn slut and sleep with every guy? Is she going to do that with Monroe for some reason? Just seemed kinda odd.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #29
KevinG

At least the writers have good taste in music...At least IMO. :-)
KevinG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #30
nyc13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
At least the writers have good taste in music...At least IMO. :-)
Yep, an upside to the power being out is the unplugged version of Tom Sawyer.
nyc13 is offline   Reply With Quote