TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
roachb

Premiere Dead After Two Years

It took three long phone calls to convince Tech Support that my two-year old unit was in need of repair. And basically nothing worked right. The deal they offered to replace it sucks. I have to pay $248 plus tax and when I return the old unit I get $99 of that back. I can't upgrade to a newer model and keep the lifetime service. Tivo, you just cancelled out my brand loyalty.
roachb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachb View Post
It took three long phone calls to convince Tech Support that my two-year old unit was in need of repair. And basically nothing worked right. The deal they offered to replace it sucks. I have to pay $248 plus tax and when I return the old unit I get $99 of that back. I can't upgrade to a newer model and keep the lifetime service. Tivo, you just cancelled out my brand loyalty.
Buying a refurbished unit of the same model is the standard deal when older lifetime hardware fails. TiVo's policy is never to transfer lifetime service to a newer model.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #3
jrtroo
User

Things break. It happens. Did you seek help here to fix it, or are we your therapy? Lots of the users here are willing to help you.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

If it is the hard drive or power supply that has gone bad, then buy a same model Premiere on craigslist or ebay for $30 and switch out the offending part.

Did lightening or other power surge damage it? Will insurance cover it? Do you have it on a UPS that protects against power surges?

Last edited by replaytv : 02-02-2014 at 01:28 PM.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
pmiranda

What exactly are the symptoms? Hard driven and power supply are relatively easy to swap out. Mine lost its entire output circuit and had to be swapped but for some reason I had bought the extended warranty and TiVo did it for free. They'll even cross-ship you a new one while you send yours in. (They bill your credit card and then refund it when they receive yours.)

For the "deal" they're offering I'd say you're better off just replacing it with an actually new Roamio.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:45 PM   #6
WhiskeyTango

I suppose they should just give you something for free even though it was outside of the warranty period, right? No, you agreed to the terms of service which states that the Lifetime sub is for ONLY that unit. Like others said, things break. My oldest Tivo that is still running was activated in 2004. The most common failures are hard drives and power supplies, both of which can be fixed for much less than what a replacement would cost. If you'd like to go that route, give us some more details and we can help you. If you just want to throw a fit, then well, that's up to you.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote