TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
getreal
postcrastinator

Ground Floor (new series)

Have you seen "Ground Floor", a new series with John C. McGinley?

I had hopes it would be funny, and the critics seem to approve of it as one of the funnier new sitcoms.

Then I watched the first two episodes.

I was struggling to get past the first act of the pilot episode, wanting to give it a chance to find itself. But the writing and acting is so awful that I cannot bear this show, despite having two gorgeous actresses in tight outfits.

I re-read the reviews and cannot believe they watched the same shows I had just seen.

Is it just me?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
cannonz

Just the promos told me it would be awful, the other night guide said something else was on turned to TBS it was, a few minutes confirmed it. They would say line supposed to be funny (of course wasn't) then pause while very loud and obnoxious laugh track would play for what seemed like forever then stiltedly deliver next line. I wish they would stick to reruns except for American Dad if it is indeed moving to them next year (someone told me it was).
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I thought it was quirky and different enough to keep watching. I wasn't LOLing, but I was entertained. So I am sticking with it for now.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
midas
I heard that

I enjoyed it. Surprisingly the guy from Scrubs is the only one I was familiar with, and he was awful.
midas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
astrohip
Stuart F

I liked it. Don't know anyone except I vaguely recognize the big bad boss.

It was funny, and the actors seem to have a decent chemistry so far. SP lives for now.
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I liked it. The guy with the beard, had me LOL'ing a few times.

It's TBS so it repeats all the time, so no worries with conflicts. SP stays.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
They would say line supposed to be funny (of course wasn't) then pause while very loud and obnoxious laugh track would play for what seemed like forever
I feel like you're exaggerating. The show uses a live audience, not a laugh track, and the producers have said they not only don't sweeten the live laughter, they've actually toned it down in spots.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
cannonz

You can film in front of live audience and have laugh track and producers can lie, it clearly had laugh track.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
getreal
postcrastinator

Perhaps they got mileage out of the "APPLAUSE/LAUGH" sign over the live audience cueing them when something was supposed to be "funny".

Highslide JS

Well, it seems to be getting similar/mildly positive reviews here as well, so I'll say that I am not their natural audience. Enjoy the show ... I'll check in on it to see if it has improved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #10
cannonz

Well with a line like you wear white pants you have to expect a loud long outburst of laughter. I remember in the 80's shows that reported not to have tracks had ewes and awes and other things depending on what was going on. And of course some will like a show and others not, would be boring world if everyone liked the same things.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I read a review somewhere where they said the show doesn't hit stride until 3rd or 4th episode. I'm not a big believer in reviews so I hope that is true. I watched the first episode mostly because it was from Bill Lawrence (of Scrubs, Drew Carey Show and Cougar Town, all of which I liked), and it had John C. McGinley. I thought the pilot was pretty bad, but there's a glimmer of hope this could be better. They need to tone down the laugh track, or live audience or whatever it was. It was way too noticeable, especially in parts I didn't think were all that funny. And it seemed a bit overacted (exaggerated). The premise is good though and there was some real nice eye candy. I'll watch a couple of more and see if it gets better.

Last edited by Steveknj : 11-18-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #12
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

I watched the pilot yesterday and thought it was pretty bad. Still, there was just enough there to make me think there is some potential. I'm going to watch a few more.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

I watched it because of John C. McGinley. I liked it a lot and set up a season pass. There are very few new shows that I like right off the bat so this was a surprise. I hope it lasts.
ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #14
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I watched Ep 2 and it was a bit better. Still not great, but again, still enough of a chance that this could turn out good. I think John C. needs to turn it down a notch. He's REALLY overacting.

I like the flunky who stole the boss's chair and went speeding off in the chair race.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #15
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I watched Ep 2 and it was a bit better. Still not great, but again, still enough of a chance that this could turn out good. I think John C. needs to turn it down a notch. He's REALLY overacting.

I like the flunky who stole the boss's chair and went speeding off in the chair race.
Best laugh out loud line thus far...
Spoiler:
Oh $**t...

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #16
mattack

I forget if I watched the entire first episode so far.. if not, I watched the vast majority of it.. (I think I started it very late at night.) It was sort of a "second tier" sitcom, kind of like that other show on TBS.. If I had conflicts, I'd drop it in a second, but with there being relatively few good/new sitcoms on now, I'll bank it up for a dry spell of other shows.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote