TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

The Challenger Disaster - Truncated Recording?

I recorded this from DTV on Friday, and just got around to watch it this morning. It lists it as 2 hours long, and it started right on time, but it ended abruptly after the 2 hour recording. I wonder if Discover put in too many commercials.

Looking at the listings for Tonight, they both show 2 hours also. I guess I'll try again, but pad it by a hour just to be sure. This is the first time I've had that happen when the show didn't have its start delayed.
Carlucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
farleyruskz
Nunya

Same thing happened to me when I went to watch last night.
farleyruskz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
DavidJL

recorded 2:06 for me, still cut off a little of the credits though
DavidJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Hmm. I recorded the Science Channel airing of it, which fit precisely into a 2 hour slot. I wonder what Discovery added to it, if anything other than commercials.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

I'm sure it was just commercials. They went 22 minutes without a commercial, I believe, but then they made up for it with seemingly long commercial breaks.

So, I take it his demonstration of the 0-ring in ice was the very last scene? He had just pulled out the O-ring in ice when my recording shut off.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlucci View Post
I'm sure it was just commercials. They went 22 minutes without a commercial, I believe, but then they made up for it with seemingly long commercial breaks.

So, I take it his demonstration of the 0-ring in ice was the very last scene? He had just pulled out the O-ring in ice when my recording shut off.
Following the o-ring in ice scene, Feinmann met with reporters outside. He announced that he would be presenting his own findings as an appendix to the commission report.

They then transitioned to scenes of Feinmann drafting the appendix with his wife, interspersed with scenes of the White House rose garden where Rogers presented the full report and the Feinmann appendix to President Reagan.

After the rose garden ceremony, Feinmann and the General talked for a bit. Feinmann let the General knew that his astronaut source was Sally Ride. He also referenced the fact that he was dying very soon.

The movie closed with still photos of the key players (McDonald, Kutyna, Ride, Feinmann) and a brief "what did they do after" description for each.

The credits rolled with a footage from the real Rogers Commission and the real Feinmann with the o-ring in ice bit.

Last edited by LoadStar : 11-17-2013 at 02:51 PM.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
I thought this was a really good movie. Hurt did a great job in his role, as did most of the rest. I was particularly impressed with the hanger full of debris; it's probably a whole lot of just stuff, but it looked impressive nonetheless.

Brad
bsnelson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
WhiskeyTango

Welcome to the 21st century of tv viewing, scheduled times be damned. This happens all the time, nothing new. Discovery is one of the worst offenders along with MTV when it comes to airing shows within a given time frame.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
AlphaDelta

When I set up the recording, it remember it being 2:06. It recorded only 2:00 for the actual show. So in the interim, the guide data must have changed, but why? It was correct in the first place. Had to record it again, and added time at the end.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDelta View Post
When I set up the recording, it remember it being 2:06. It recorded only 2:00 for the actual show. So in the interim, the guide data must have changed, but why? It was correct in the first place. Had to record it again, and added time at the end.
I recorded 2:09, with a 1 minute pad before and 2 minutes pad after.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #11
mattack

Yeah.. CNN shows almost always need end padding. (and NBC, and ABC, and CBS, and E!, and Discovery, and MTV.. Spike shows need MANY MINUTES of padding, sometimes on both ends, if you hope to actually get the show.)

CNBC shows (the various hour-ish long documentaries) are ones that I've learned from experience DON'T need padding, and actually end a few minutes BEFORE the end of the hour. Not good in that they're "short" (less content), but good that they don't need padding.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:16 AM   #12
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
CNBC shows (the various hour-ish long documentaries) are ones that I've learned from experience DON'T need padding, and actually end a few minutes BEFORE the end of the hour. Not good in that they're "short" (less content), but good that they don't need padding.
PBS is another that needs no padding. I own a Premiere XL and Roamio pro. I automatically pad one minute before and two minutes after on all shows except on CBS on Sundays, then it is a one hour after pad.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:12 AM   #13
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Following the o-ring in ice scene, Feinmann met with reporters outside. He announced that he would be presenting his own findings as an appendix to the commission report.

They then transitioned to scenes of Feinmann drafting the appendix with his wife, interspersed with scenes of the White House rose garden where Rogers presented the full report and the Feinmann appendix to President Reagan.

After the rose garden ceremony, Feinmann and the General talked for a bit. Feinmann let the General knew that his astronaut source was Sally Ride. He also referenced the fact that he was dying very soon.

The movie closed with still photos of the key players (McDonald, Kutyna, Ride, Feinmann) and a brief "what did they do after" description for each.

The credits rolled with a footage from the real Rogers Commission and the real Feinmann with the o-ring in ice bit.

Thanks for that. I did watch my re-recording of it last night and it unfolded just as you described.

I thought it was well done. Hurt was great as usual.
Carlucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #14
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I looked at my recording and since it said 2 hours, I decided I wasn't going to sit down and watch the whole thing 6 months from now when I get to it, and miss the ending, so I rerecorded it and padded 15 minutes. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #15
DeDondeEs

Mine recorded ok. But that science channel bug and and 4 lines of bright white text advertising another show in the corner is downright obnoxious
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:37 AM   #16
JMikeD

[quote=Carlucci;9900856]
I thought it was well done. /QUOTE]

I thought it was well done, also. I bought the Feynman book that tells the story so I can read it and see how accurate the program was.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote