TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
sbiller

Kidszone Still on the Roadmap?!

TiVo was awarded a new Kidszone US Patent today. I wonder if they will bring back this feature in the future.

http://investordiscussionboard.com/b...tablish-child-

Quote:
Abstract

Techniques described herein enable parents to establish a child-protective "kids zone" on a DVR. According to one technique, a DVR receives, from a parent, identities of content items that the parent does not want children to view. The DVR maps the identities to a kids zone. During times that the DVR is set to operate in the kids zone operational mode, the DVR prevents itself from presenting any content items that are associated with the identities. However, during these times, the DVR still may obtain and store these content items. At other times, during which the DVR is not set to operate in the kids zone operational mode, the DVR may allow itself to present the content items that are associated with the identities, including content items that the DVR obtained and stored during times that the DVR was set to operate in the kids zone operational mode.
Inventors: Barton; James M. (Alviso, CA), Beach; Brian (Columbus, IN), Schmidt; Margret (Redwood City, CA), Poniatowski; Robert F. (San Jose, CA), Glennon; Shelly (San Jose, CA)
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
ggieseke

Over at TiVo's forum, the backlash was pretty fierce when they removed it.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
SullyND
W:29-16

How long has Pony been gone from TiVo? He was listed on the old patent too (I wonder how different they are?)
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
How long has Pony been gone from TiVo? He was listed on the old patent too (I wonder how different they are?)
Good questions. I haven't spent the time to research it.

There is a cost to TiVo to maintain the patent in the US and international markets. I wouldn't be surprised if improved parental controls are on their roadmap.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote