TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
Ziggie

No matter what we do, TiVo PRO will not connect to router

We've been working on this for nearly 5 hours. I give up. TiVo tech support can't solve the problem.

TiVo is the boss of me ~ Member of the TiVo family since 2003

Ziggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

Are you using an Ethernet cable to directly connect TiVo to the router? If not describe everything in between the TiVo and the router.

What brand/model of router?

When you connect an Ethernet cable to powered on TiVo, then connect the other end to router, do any LEDs turn on, flash, or change color?
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevesWeb View Post
Are you using an Ethernet cable to directly connect TiVo to the router? If not describe everything in between the TiVo and the router.

What brand/model of router?

When you connect an Ethernet cable to powered on TiVo, then connect the other end to router, do any LEDs turn on, flash, or change color?
Steve, thanks so much for your reply! We are still on the phone with TiVo but I will gather the info for you as soon as I can (appreciate your help!)

The error codes are N02 and C202.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
Ziggie

Steve, again.. thank you for your reply.. but we are returning the unit to TiVo. Guess we just won't be a Roamio family

Old 02-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Don't give up! TiVo CSRs aren't very knowledgeable when it comes to networking. I bet we can help you figure it out.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
GriffithStrife

I sent you a pm with my number it should not take more than five minutes to get it up and running.
GriffithStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Don't give up! TiVo CSRs aren't very knowledgeable when it comes to networking. I bet we can help you figure it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffithStrife View Post
I sent you a pm with my number it should not take more than five minutes to get it up and running.
Dan, Griffith and Steve... you are fabulous to offer your help. Just goes to show that there still are terrific people in the TiVo community ~ you guys rock

We are returning the unit, but it's nice to know there's such great support here.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:15 AM   #8
Lensman

Location: Hoboken, NJ (Verizon Fios); Pembroke Pines, FL (Comcast)
It's a long shot but I created a big problem for myself when I connected my Premier to my network using ethernet. Apparently, since I have Verizon Fios, I have a MOCA LAN availalable on the coax line.

This created a network loop and my entire home network was down until I realized this and disconnected the ethernet cable from my Tivo and restarted my entire network.
Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:54 AM   #9
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensman View Post
It's a long shot but I created a big problem for myself when I connected my Premier to my network using ethernet. Apparently, since I have Verizon Fios, I have a MOCA LAN availalable on the coax line.

This created a network loop and my entire home network was down until I realized this and disconnected the ethernet cable from my Tivo and restarted my entire network.
Thanks for your post Lensman. We haven't tried using an ethernet cable yet, but we are thinking about it.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #10
tatergator1

I would strongly encourage using Ethernet, at least initially. IIRC, one of the early software updates to the Roamio addressed some wireless connection issues. If nothing else, connect it via Ethernet to get all the software updates installed, then try it on wireless again.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #11
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
I would strongly encourage using Ethernet, at least initially. IIRC, one of the early software updates to the Roamio addressed some wireless connection issues. If nothing else, connect it via Ethernet to get all the software updates installed, then try it on wireless again.
Thanks for your post tatergator... I appreciate it. Right now, the unit is sitting here with it's RMA # attached to it. Hubby and I are in discussion as to whether or not we want to try an ethernet cable.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #12
marklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
I sure hope you guys change your mind and reconsider. You can't get the Tivo experience anywhere else. I had several problems that I had to overcome with setting my Roamio Plus but with technology today many CSR's just don't have the practical skills.
In fact any problems I've really ever had have been on the Time Warner side, not Tivo, but I know some Tivo CSR's are sharper than others.

As far as a connection, I'd always go with Ethernet if you have it available to minimize wireless problems that may not have anything to do with Tivo.
MOCA
CC: Sci Atl PK802
TA: Cisco STA1520
TimeWarner Cable-Austin
marklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #13
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklyn View Post
I sure hope you guys change your mind and reconsider. You can't get the Tivo experience anywhere else. I had several problems that I had to overcome with setting my Roamio Plus but with technology today many CSR's just don't have the practical skills.
In fact any problems I've really ever had have been on the Time Warner side, not Tivo, but I know some Tivo CSR's are sharper than others.

As far as a connection, I'd always go with Ethernet if you have it available to minimize wireless problems that may not have anything to do with Tivo.
We've been TiVo customers for over 10 years and, to be honest, couldn't watch tv without it Our current units work wonderfully... it's just the PRO that is giving us problems.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #14
AdamNJ

How about you explain your setup and let us help you. You've got people here willing to help but you are just talking about an RMA. I'm not sure what the point of this thread was if you are not going to at least let us try.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #15
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
How about you explain your setup and let us help you. You've got people here willing to help but you are just talking about an RMA. I'm not sure what the point of this thread was if you are not going to at least let us try.
Adam, let me talk to my hubby when he gets home. We're caught between a rock and a hard place because he can't do any type of hard wiring due to post-surgical restrictions (he had major eye surgery).

Old 02-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #16
mpnret

I realize everyone's home has a different layout and size. How far is it from your Roamio to the router? I bet a 50' would handle most situations, some a lot less, some a lot more. Buy the necessary length cat5 cable and run it from your Roamio to your router. Run it down the hall, out the bedroom door or whatever is necessary to get the setup done. Once you see it work move on to a more permanent install of the cable. If it doesn't work and you want to call it quits then, just return the cable. A 50' cat5 cable complete with connectors at both ends is less than $20 from Lowes. Lots of cheaper sources if you don't mind ordering online.
I am expecting delivery of my Roamio tomorrow and I will be running my cable later today. I'm lucky mine is easy. It's just a short drop down to the basement then a 40' horizontal run then another short rise to the router.
mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #17
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpnret View Post
I realize everyone's home has a different layout and size. How far is it from your Roamio to the router? I bet a 50' would handle most situations, some a lot less, some a lot more. Buy the necessary length cat5 cable and run it from your Roamio to your router. Run it down the hall, out the bedroom door or whatever is necessary to get the setup done. Once you see it work move on to a more permanent install of the cable. If it doesn't work and you want to call it quits then, just return the cable. A 50' cat5 cable complete with connectors at both ends is less than $20 from Lowes. Lots of cheaper sources if you don't mind ordering online.
I am expecting delivery of my Roamio tomorrow and I will be running my cable later today. I'm lucky mine is easy. It's just a short drop down to the basement then a 40' horizontal run then another short rise to the router.
Thanks for your post mpnret, good info to know Hubby and I were talking about doing something like this but we have to see what's involved (meaning, how much he'd actually be able to physically do).

Old 02-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #18
shrike4242

I'd try the following to see if this would work:

1) Try dropping the security on your wireless network and see if the Roamio will connect to an unencrypted network. That should prove if the wireless card in the Roamio will work. If it can't connect to an unecrypted network, then the wireless card is likely bad.
2) If there's a cable outlet near to the router, then I'd recommend using a MoCA adapter with an Ethernet connection to the router, then run the Roamio off of MoCA. I've been using MoCA for multiple years and it's been working flawlessly. All you should need would be a MoCA adapter connected at the router via Ethernet and you'd be good to go.
3) Could you run a temporary cable just to see if the Roamio would work over Ethernet? I'm not saying to do anything fancy with it, just run the cable to the Roamio and see if Ethernet would work.

I did have an issue with a defective front panel on two prior Romaio Pro units, though from a networking side, it's been a breeze over MoCA on the current Roamio units as well as previous S3, Tivo HD and Premiere XL/XL4 units.

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL (one dead, one gifted, one w/Lifetime)
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #19
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike4242 View Post
I'd try the following to see if this would work:

1) Try dropping the security on your wireless network and see if the Roamio will connect to an unencrypted network. That should prove if the wireless card in the Roamio will work. If it can't connect to an unecrypted network, then the wireless card is likely bad.
2) If there's a cable outlet near to the router, then I'd recommend using a MoCA adapter with an Ethernet connection to the router, then run the Roamio off of MoCA. I've been using MoCA for multiple years and it's been working flawlessly. All you should need would be a MoCA adapter connected at the router via Ethernet and you'd be good to go.
3) Could you run a temporary cable just to see if the Roamio would work over Ethernet? I'm not saying to do anything fancy with it, just run the cable to the Roamio and see if Ethernet would work.

I did have an issue with a defective front panel on two prior Romaio Pro units, though from a networking side, it's been a breeze over MoCA on the current Roamio units as well as previous S3, Tivo HD and Premiere XL/XL4 units.

Shrike, in item #1, do you mean cable card? The one from Comcast?

#2) Our internet cable is different than our television cable (two different companies). I really have no idea what MoCA is (or what it does, etc.) ... would it work in our case?

#3) That's what we are thinking of doing.. testing an Ethernet cable. We're just still feeling the sting and disappointment from the fiasco on Saturday. I'm going to talk to him later tonight and see what he says.

----------------------------

I do want to thank everyone who has offered such genuine help in this thread. It is very much appreciated.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #20
shrike4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggie View Post
Shrike, in item #1, do you mean cable card? The one from Comcast?

#2) Our internet cable is different than our television cable (two different companies). I really have no idea what MoCA is (or what it does, etc.) ... would it work in our case?

#3) That's what we are thinking of doing.. testing an Ethernet cable. We're just still feeling the sting and disappointment from the fiasco on Saturday. I'm going to talk to him later tonight and see what he says.

----------------------------

I do want to thank everyone who has offered such genuine help in this thread. It is very much appreciated.
1) Sorry, the "card" mentioned in #1 would be the internal wireless card inside of the Roamio, not the cable card. One of the first steps in troubleshooting a device that won't connect to wireless is to make it as simple as possible, with a broadcast SSID and no encryption. Then, make changes as you go and see what breaks it. See if if connections with a broadcast SSID and no encryption. If that works, try hiding the SSID again (if it was hidden originally) and see if it connects. If that works, then try putting the encryption back on again and see if the Roamio connects again. There's no reason why it shouldn't work unless the wifi card is bad or the Tivo's brain-dead about how to connect to wireless.

2) MoCA is running networking over the coax cable. As long as the same cable is running by your router and to where the Roamio is, you should be able to use the coax connection like Ethernet cabling to make the network happen. You would need to add a MoCA adapter to your router so that it could access the network to the Roamio Pro.

3) As long as you can get the Tivo activated with an Ethernet cable that isn't hidden/placed neatly, it'll at least get past the issue for the time being. If the router is on a different floor than the Roamio, then it might be a little odd in how it's run, though temporarily.

Former:
Sony S1, Toshiba RS-TX20 w/DVD burner, Tivo S2, S2 DT, S3, TivoHD, Premiere XL (one dead, one gifted, one w/Lifetime)
Old 02-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #21
Ziggie

Quote:
1) Sorry, the "card" mentioned in #1 would be the internal wireless card inside of the Roamio, not the cable card. One of the first steps in troubleshooting a device that won't connect to wireless is to make it as simple as possible, with a broadcast SSID and no encryption. Then, make changes as you go and see what breaks it. See if if connections with a broadcast SSID and no encryption. If that works, try hiding the SSID again (if it was hidden originally) and see if it connects. If that works, then try putting the encryption back on again and see if the Roamio connects again. There's no reason why it shouldn't work unless the wifi card is bad or the Tivo's brain-dead about how to connect to wireless.

2) MoCA is running networking over the coax cable. As long as the same cable is running by your router and to where the Roamio is, you should be able to use the coax connection like Ethernet cabling to make the network happen. You would need to add a MoCA adapter to your router so that it could access the network to the Roamio Pro.

3) As long as you can get the Tivo activated with an Ethernet cable that isn't hidden/placed neatly, it'll at least get past the issue for the time being. If the router is on a different floor than the Roamio, then it might be a little odd in how it's run, though temporarily.
Shrike, the cable that carries our internet to the router is not from the same line as our cable television. One line coming into the house carries television and internet, while another line carries only television.

Let me see if I can explain this further... (grab a comfy chair and some popcorn!)

We live in a community with just under 1,000 houses. We have a strong, decades old homeowner's association that governs the community. For years and years, we had a bulk rate deal with Comcast. We got cable tv (w/premium channels) at a reduced rate. Everything was fine... things worked well.

In 2011, the newly elected board of directors thought they'd change things up a bit. They went to battle with Comcast (demanding a deal that was never going to happen), and lost the entire contract. So, they struck up a deal with HotWire Communications.

Now, because this community is ruled by the HOA, everyone had to switch over from Comcast to HW. A few of us said we would not switch over... and they eventually let us keep Comcast. However! It would be at a steep cost! We have to pay $90/month to the HOA to cover the HW services AND continue pay Comcast, as we had been doing for years. Yes, you got it right.. we pay twice.

The reason?

Hotwire absolutely does not support cable cards so we can't use their line for television. You can either rent one of their DVRs, or do without. Because we love our TiVo units, we kept Comcast so that we could continue to use them.

Because we are paying $90/month to the HOA, Hotwire came in and wired the house for internet (which is what we use). However, our television cable line is from Comcast... so that we could keep our TiVos.

(I hope I didn't confuse you too much!)

Old 02-04-2014, 12:39 AM   #22
shrike4242

That's what I thought, though here's the question.

How many Hotwire connections are there in your house, just the one where the router is? Or are there more of them? And the Comcast coax connections, are they all over the rest of the house?

Former:
Old 02-04-2014, 02:39 AM   #23
HarperVision

If the Hotwire and Comcast coaxials are near each other at any point in your house, I would put a moca adapter to bridge them together. i.e. - run comcast's cable tv coax into the coax input of the moca adapter, then the hotwire router's Ethernet cable into it, and then the moca adapter's rf coax out to all your tivos throughout the house. This will give you Comcast cable tv signals with modulated Hotwire moca Ethernet signals on it so all your tivos can connect and see each other, play shows and connect to the Internet.

P.S. - if they are near each other and also where you're planning to put your Roamio, then you won't need the moca adapter, as its built into the plus and pro models and can do the same thing.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #24
Ziggie

Quote:
That's what I thought, though here's the question.

How many Hotwire connections are there in your house, just the one where the router is? Or are there more of them? And the Comcast coax connections, are they all over the rest of the house?
There are 2 Hotwire connections. One with the internet cable going into the router and a second one carrying the television signal (that we can't use due to the company not supporting cable cards) going into the family room.

The rest of the house has multiple Comcast coax connections (living room, bedrooms, family room).

Old 02-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #25
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
If the Hotwire and Comcast coaxials are near each other at any point in your house, I would put a moca adapter to bridge them together. i.e. - run comcast's cable tv coax into the coax input of the moca adapter, then the hotwire router's Ethernet cable into it, and then the moca adapter's rf coax out to all your tivos throughout the house. This will give you Comcast cable tv signals with modulated Hotwire moca Ethernet signals on it so all your tivos can connect and see each other, play shows and connect to the Internet.

P.S. - if they are near each other and also where you're planning to put your Roamio, then you won't need the moca adapter, as its built into the plus and pro models and can do the same thing.
Do you mean, where the Comcast signal originates... before it is split to the rest of the house? Then yes, the Comcast and Hotwire cables are close to each other, at their point of origin. Is a MoCA adapter a powered unit? (AC power?) If we run an Ethernet to the Roamio, will that create a MoCA network too?

Old 02-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #26
HarperVision

Quote:

Do you mean, where the Comcast signal originates... before it is split to the rest of the house? Then yes, the Comcast and Hotwire cables are close to each other, at their point of origin. Is a MoCA adapter a powered unit? (AC power?) If we run an Ethernet to the Roamio, will that create a MoCA network too?
Yes it's powered. Also yes, if you run Ethernet (Hotwire) to your Roamio plus/pro and turn on moca in its menu then it will work as a moca bridge and you won't need a separate adapter.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #27
Ziggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Yes it's powered. Also yes, if you run Ethernet (Hotwire) to your Roamio plus/pro and turn on moca in its menu then it will work as a moca bridge and you won't need a separate adapter.
Thank you Harper! I think we're going to try an ethernet hook-up later tonight.

Cross your fingers for us!

Old 02-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #28
HarperVision

Quote:
Thank you Harper! I think we're going to try an ethernet hook-up later tonight. Cross your fingers for us!
You're welcome, good luck and keep us posted!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #29
Ziggie

Well, tonight we tried to run an ethernet cable from the modem in the garage directly to the TiVo.

Nada. Nothing. It didn't acknowledge the ethernet cable at all and just kept telling us "TiVo needs an internet connection". After several unsuccessful attempts, we removed the cable and just let the TiVo sit there. As it sat, it kept trying to connect to the wireless router (because it remembered the setup process from last Saturday).

It's still sitting there now... 5 hours later. I can't deal with it anymore tonight

Old 02-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #30
jwbelcher

Quote:
Well, tonight we tried to run an ethernet cable from the modem in the garage directly to the TiVo.

Nada. Nothing. It didn't acknowledge the ethernet cable at all and just kept telling us "TiVo needs an internet connection". After several unsuccessful attempts, we removed the cable and just let the TiVo sit there. As it sat, it kept trying to connect to the wireless router (because it remembered the setup process from last Saturday).

It's still sitting there now... 5 hours later. I can't deal with it anymore tonight
Did the light on either the router or TiVo's Ethernet port light up? On the tivo, the two lights at the top of the port should've light up / flickered after the cable was plugged in.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote