TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
jcddc

Adding premium channels: do you need to re-pair cable cards?

I replaced my Series 3 OLED model with a Roamio late last month and have been very pleased with the results. I'm now thinking of adding Showtime. Will I need to do anything else besides calling Comcast and signing up for it? That is, will I separately also have to call the CableCARD number and have the cards re-paired? I'm reluctant to alter a setup that is currently working well.
jcddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
ajayabb

I believe the CC have to be paired , if you havent done so already, before receiving Premium Channels like Showtime, Cinemax or HBO

2 Roamio Plus Tivos
1 Tivo Mini
Running Pytivo and Streambaby
ajayabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcddc View Post
I replaced my Series 3 OLED model with a Roamio late last month and have been very pleased with the results. I'm now thinking of adding Showtime. Will I need to do anything else besides calling Comcast and signing up for it? That is, will I separately also have to call the CableCARD number and have the cards re-paired? I'm reluctant to alter a setup that is currently working well.
You shouldn't have to re-pair the card. I've added removed entire packages with no call other than to Comcast to make the package changes.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
justinw

No you will not have to repair.
justinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
jadziedzic

If the CableCARD was never paired to the new TiVo then yes, they will need to have it paired to the new TiVo in order to add premium channels.
jadziedzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
jcddc

Thanks, everyone. To be clear, I did have the CableCARD paired with the Roamio originally. I wanted to know how much of a hassle it was to add new premium channels, and in particular if I'd have to call them a second time to do the pairing again. Happily, the answer appears to be very little hassle is involved. I will update this thread if the answer turns out to be different.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
AdamNJ

And after you add the channel package, you will have to edit your channel listing to add those channels back to your lineup.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
cyberskier

I just did this a few days ago (added Showtime to get Homeland), and it is exactly as AdamNJ says. I had to go into my channel listings in the Settings, and put checkboxes next to the 6 Showtime channels.

I don't know how quickly Showtime showed up in the channel listings, as my wife called Comcast before we went to bed, and I didn't add the channels until the next day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[from
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, my blog]
cyberskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #9
rainwater

When you add a package, it should be available on your TiVo within a minute or two. You should be able to manually tune them right away. If you disabled the channels from the guide, you can re-check them and they will show up in the guide.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #10
Alan_r

When I replaced the hard drive all my channels worked except for the premium channels.
So while my situation wasnt exactly the same, I did still need to call Comcast to fix the premiums.
I called the cable card activations department directly, they said the card was already paired to the TiVo and they just refreshed the signal and I was back in business 2 minutes later.

Just remember, if you do need to call them make sure you call the cable card number only and it will only take a couple minutes.
Ive called that number a few times now and it never took any longer than a few minutes.
877-405-2298
Alan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
hfcsyrup

i switched my cablecard which was paired from my P4 to my S3 where it was not paired. i moved it back to my P4 and now it is not paired. or at least the VAL:=?
does moving from one device to another clear pairings?
hfcsyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
tim1724

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfcsyrup View Post
i switched my cablecard which was paired from my P4 to my S3 where it was not paired. i moved it back to my P4 and now it is not paired. or at least the VAL:=?
does moving from one device to another clear pairings?
Yes, it does unpair them. (And it's not TiVo's fault; the CableCARD specification requires it to work this way.)
tim1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
djdanska

I had to reboot my tuning adapter, but other than that it was just a few minutes. I have a feeling it would have eventually done it on its own

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
djdanska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
jcddc

Exactly as several of you said, I added Showtime by calling Comcast, and the new channels showed up in a few minutes. Thanks for your help.