Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #211
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 702 View Post
#1. He has dealt with the guy who sold him the gun before.
Yeah, that guy ("Lawson", I think), sold him the 38 Snubnose back in Season 4.
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #212
Hank
AC•FTW

That's the guy who sold him that first gun when he wanted to kill Gus Fring. They met in a motel room, and the seller was laying out different gun options coaching Walt on which one is best for his objectives, and Walt was clumsily handling the gun(s). He was then seen practicing drawing the gun from a sitting position.

eta: what everyone else said while I was typing.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #213
KenDC
Huggy Bear

I thought it was a great ending to a top notch TV series. As others have mentioned, I might put Six Feet Under above it as far as final episodes but from back to front I will take Breaking Bad. Excellent. Very well done. I am very happy...and sad.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #214
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Wonder if Jesse can hook up with the Vacuum cleaner guy and get out that way?
Vacuum cleaner guy probably wouldn't touch him:

1. Jesse flaked out once before.
2. And he's probably got to lay low after "Mr Lambert" screwed up that vanishing act.
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #215
astrohip
Stuart F

I recall reading an interview with Vince Gilligan, and he said something along the lines of wanting a conclusion that satisfies the viewers, and yet remains true to the story, to the characters.

I believe Felina achieves that. I wouldn't call it tidy, I would say that he faced every situation he (Gilligan) felt needed facing, and resolved them in a "Breaking Bad" way.

One of the things the writers of this show are most adept at is foreshadowing events, then turning the tables on us. But not in a red herring way, just in a "geez, I didn't see that coming" way. A perfect example is the final scene with Elliott & Gretchen. We all saw the newscast, we all saw Walt's emotions change when he saw the newscast, and we all saw the showdown coming. There was talk of how Walt would get his revenge. Some talked about a machine-gun hoedown. Others some sort of revenge via Walt exposing their company Gray Matters.

And then what they show us is a 180. Walt's emotions didn't change because he wanted revenge, but because he saw a way to provide for Jr. So instead of bringing back what had been fairly minor characters for a Scarface showdown, they played a minor but critical role in the conclusion of the series, and the wrapup that Walt is bringing to his life.

My point: Some call this tidy. I call it smart storytelling, surprising us one last time. Once again, Vince Gilligan, thru Walter White, has kept us hooked for another hour (ok, 1:15).

I felt satisfied. I'm sad, I'm happy, I'm gonna miss these characters something bad. Cast & crew, every actor, the writers, all of them did their job beyond what we had any reason to expect.

What more could I ask?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #216
Hank
AC•FTW

I was somewhat surprised that Walt went back to his cabin to grab his barrel of cash. I thought that was pretty risky as the police were on hot his trail, and they may have started searching all the local residences (yes, I know it's 8 miles away, but it's not like it's a very dense area). I had just assumed at the end of the last episode that he stole the Volvo and drove back to ABQ with just the $100,000 in cash in the box.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #217
astrohip
Stuart F

Nice review, says a few things in a different way:

http://www.chicagonow.com/couple-cri...finale-review/

Quote:
From about season four on I have vowed that no ending would satisfy me unless it included Walt dead and Jesse alive. But just last week I admitted Jesse would be better off dead. After all he’s seen and all he’s done there was not enough therapy in the world to make him whole again.

So I have mixed feelings about his escape. Yes, I love that he got to kill Todd. I love that he finally stood up to Walt and refused to do something just because he told him to. But it’s hard to read his escape as a happy ending.

There were many theories floating around the Internet about how Breaking Bad would end and a lot of them included Jesse and Skyler dead. Obviously they are not physically dead, but take a look at Skyer’s defeated posture and Jesse’s wracked body. They have both suffered emotional deaths at the hands of Heisenberg.

None of my predictions proved accurate except that one. No one was whole at the end of this story. By the end every single character had endured great pain. Every single character’s life had been irrevocably changed for the worse. This wasn’t a movie and there were no happy endings.

And we loved every minute of it.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #218
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I was somewhat surprised that Walt went back to his cabin to grab his barrel of cash. I thought that was pretty risky as the police were on hot his trail, and they may have started searching all the local residences (yes, I know it's 8 miles away, but it's not like it's a very dense area). I had just assumed at the end of the last episode that he stole the Volvo and drove back to ABQ with just the $100,000 in cash in the box.
My issue with that scene was that there was fresh snow on the car, so wouldn't there be fresh footprints going into the car? Are we to assume that car was in the parking lot of the bar or somewhere else?
Old 09-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #219
astrohip
Stuart F

James Poniewozik's review:

http://entertainment.time.com/2013/0...little-friend/
Quote:
But we’re probably past the point where Walter White could have catharsis through an encounter with another person. There are no moving last words, no epiphanic speech for Walt, who instead leaves the world after telling Lydia that she is going to die a painful death of poison for threatening his family. He ends in silence, and alone.

In a way, this ending is sort of ideal–and maybe more complex than the relatively straightforward finale seems. We’ve been talking for weeks about the different camps fans have been in awaiting the ending. Do you want Walt to live or die? Do you want him to triumph or be punished? And you could say, on the surface that this is an ending that plays out ideally for Team Walt, those who wanted to see him win spectacularly. His plans are a success. He watches his enemies defeated, his voice the last they hear. He ends things on his terms. It is over when Heisenberg says it’s over.

But you could see this ending another way, not as an endorsement of Walt and Heisenberg but as simply a clear reflection of him. In the “Talking Bad’ interview after the finale, Vince Gilligan alludes to Walt at the end as being like Gollum in The Lord of the Rings, in the meth lab, reunited with “his Precious.”

It’s an interesting comparison: Smeagol/Gollum was a dual character like Walt/Heisenberg, and he too ended The Lord of the Rings not redeemed–indeed, villainous–yet instrumental in defeating a larger evil nonetheless. Here, likewise, Walt is alone at the end of all things with a beloved, cold thing. He takes a moment to himself, considers his life’s work, and the last things he sees are himself, his machine, and a smear of blood. One more time, he is caressing his baby. He’s alone with what he loves, and what he deserves.

I can’t say that I loved you in the end, Walter White. But I did love watching your story, in all its cold and hard and bloody beauty.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #220
danterner
Not it!

Why did Walt give Holly the shaft? His instructions with regard to the irrevocable trust were that the money should be made available to Flynn on his 18th birthday, right? It seemed like he was leaving Holly out of the equation or, at least, subjecting Holly's share to Flynn's whims. It's possible I could have misheard his instructions - did he mention Holly in them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #221
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Why did Walt give Holly the shaft? His instructions with regard to the irrevocable trust were that the money should be made available to Flynn on his 18th birthday, right? It seemed like he was leaving Holly out of the equation or, at least, subjecting Holly's share to Flynn's whims. It's possible I could have misheard his instructions - did he mention Holly in them?
No, he wanted the money to go to Flynn and he hoped that Flynn would recognize his responsibility as the man of the family to take care of his mother and his sister.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #222
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
No, he wanted the money to go to Flynn and he hoped that Flynn would recognize his responsibility as the man of the family to take care of his mother and his sister.
This is correct.

Although he did keep saying that he wanted the money to go to "his children".

I think he trusted that Flynn would take care of his mother and sister.

Based on what we know about Flynn, I think that was a pretty good bet.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #223
Shaunnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
See I saw "Felina" and being a recovering dyslexic I just read it as "Finale". But I wasn't a Robbins fan so......

Edit: I also tried breaking it into elements but couldn't make sense of Iron....Lithium....Sodium as part of the story.
I forget where but before the episode had aired someone said that it was another way of saying Blood (Fe), Power (Li), and Tears (Na).

Iron is found in red blood cells, Lithium batteries would mean power, and tears are salty.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #224
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
This is correct.

Although he did keep saying that he wanted the money to go to "his children".

I think he trusted that Flynn would take care of his mother and sister.

I think he spends it all on breakfast...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #225
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
This is correct. Although he did keep saying that he wanted the money to go to "his children". I think he trusted that Flynn would take care of his mother and sister. Based on what we know about Flynn, I think that was a pretty good bet.
He could have specified that Flynn should serve as the trustee of Holly's share, then. By giving it all to Flynn, he's subjecting Holly to Flynn's whims, risks, and creditors.

Not to mention that he didn't include any sort of third party special needs planning for Flynn.

Sheesh.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #226
JohnB1000

Quote:
I bet people used to say that about Walt
Old 09-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #227
JohnB1000

Quote:
Wonder if Jesse can hook up with the Vacuum cleaner guy and get out that way?
He has no money.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #228
astrohip
Stuart F

Another review. Sorry for posting so many, but I love reading all the different POVs. The reviews are like us, ranging from adoration to understanding to acceptance. But they all, to a one, share a love for the story of Breaking Bad.

AV Club, Donna Bowman. She was their BB reviewer from S1E1 thru last night! One of the better of the umpteen reviews I've read.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/felina,102961/

She starts with:
Quote:
“Buy the RV; we start tomorrow.”

When the A.V. Club collected the first three season’s worth of these writeups in a Kindle book, that’s the quotation that was chosen for the title. Here we are, almost six years after those words were first uttered onscreen, in the pilot episode. And I can think of no better summary, no more appropriate monument, for this staggering work of televised drama that has played out in front of us, an hour at a time and cratered with agonizing pauses, than this phrase.
And ends with... [the bold is mine]

Quote:
We’ve all been asking ourselves what we want from this show. I’ve tried not to commit myself in writing to wanting anything, beyond Jesse’s getting out alive, because more than anything I wanted to let Vince Gilligan take us where he wanted us to go. But now I can say what I wanted. I wanted the special thrill that comes when the forces of luck and the forces of human will coincide to make miracles happen. And on this show, that has happened to Walt again and again in the service of his own ego. The end has been dreadful, but the means have been intoxicating. When Walt pounded the window of that stolen car with his fist, causing the snow to fall away, it was like the Fonz thumping the jukebox: a moment of supreme efficacy, endorsed by the universe. That’s what I wanted, one last time. And there it is. I’m grateful. Now I can say goodbye.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #229
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETarpon View Post
Shutting the car door didn't knock any snow off, but hitting the closed window with his fist cleared it completely? Come on!
What was with all of the blue and red lights going by the car? We assume that was the cops looking for Walt?

At the gas station, I was almost screaming thinking that a Volvo 240D is a diesel! I guess just the Mercedes 240D is a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
I'm so glad that high-velocity large caliber rifle ammunition, the type of thing that's usually stopped by car doors and drywall in TV shows, blasted right through a building for a change. It was refreshing.
Yeahbut, would any meat popsicle still be breathing after being hit by that canon? I would think that the only flesh wounds would be if the bullet only grazed the body.

They blew it on the gun mechanism. Walt only needed a 12volt motor to drive the pivot. He uses a 110 volt garage door opener - and then not even with that remote?

It looked like he used a remote car starter, and some Craftsman hand tools.

If it was me when I hit the button, the battery would not be charged.

There was no reason for the trunk lid to open if it was going to shoot right through. How about the flames?

Vince got his Scarface last scene.

Another thing we(I!) predicted was Walt rescuing Jesse, although he may not have intended that when he drove in.

If not, Walt was just going to get revenge on the ABs. Oh. To keep his family safe.

Lydia: "Is it done? Is he gone?" She ordered them to take out Walt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
And getting blasted in the head when he thought he had something to negotiate.
Isn't that the first time we've seen Walt shoot a guy directly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
4) As I expected, he did not harm the Grey Matter folks. I was wrong though about the lack of credit given to Walt in the Grey Matter interview being what pushed him over the edge. Instead, it was seeing them give away the money that gave him the idea to use them as a conduit to funnel money to Flynne. We get to see the pragmatic side of Walt. Nice writing there.

5) I bet the grey matter folks burn Walt's money and give Flynne their own money regardless of Walt's wishes. Walt's "hit men" would have no way to know that they used their own money, that couple seemed to really detest the drug money, and they had plenty of wealth of their own to give away. This would be rather ironic, as it would mean everything Walt did was for nothing. It was his pride that prevented him from asking them for money in the first place.
Quote:
How do the Grey Matter people convert $9 million cash into Flynn's trust fund without alarm bells going off? Do they deposit $24,999 every Friday?
Quote:
I think Walt figures they can do it as a 'gesture' or something like they donated that 28 million to a program for recovering Meth heads. How they move the money on the coffee table into a bank is a good question.
Yeah. Was gonna say. Even billionaires are going to get reported when they deposit over $10,000 in cash. They have to have a reasonable explanation as where it came from. Mere mortals like you and I get checked pout when we move funds for stuff like buying house or a car, even when it';s not in cash. The feds see where the money came from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseAndSquirrel View Post
But one minor question... how does knowing where Hank and Gomie's bodies are give Skylar any chance to "make a deal with the DEA"?
Walt didn't have to give Skyler the lottery ticket. He couldda just have written the numbers down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseAndSquirrel View Post
But I'm willing to let all of these little things go. Every moment of the show, things could have gone a different way. But, to steal a line from a show that was very unsatisfying, what happened, happened.
Yep. Absolutely. As TV plots go this one is most satisfactory, without an overload of Hollywood incredulity (well, the TV just happened to have Charlie Rose with Grechen and Elliot live for Walt to see in the bar).

As I said, the Felina Finale exceeds what I could have hoped for.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #230
3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
The point is that he mostly controlled his exit, hence he did not learn from the total loss of control he gave to most other people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
He said it made him feel alive.

Think of his evolution - he basically started the series as a drone. Despite the obviously terrible consequences, he finally feels like he's lived. That's a pretty big win for anyone.
I know Walt said that he did it for himself, and on a certain level, I take that at face value. But I can't ignore the pain on his face when looking at his children for the last time. He might have gone out on his own terms and gotten a greater thrill out of life the past two years than he would have by remaining a meek teacher fighting cancer, but he definitely paid a hefty price and I think he recognized as much. I just think it's a little bit dismissive to say that Walt got off scott free given what I stated above regarding his children and the fact that he ultimately died before his time (however much time that may have been). Was his punishment equal to all of the hurt suffered by others as a result of his decisions? No, but given the fact that he was already dying, I'm not sure that he could ever suffer enough to balance out those scales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
He could have specified that Flynn should serve as the trustee of Holly's share, then. By giving it all to Flynn, he's subjecting Holly to Flynn's whims, risks, and creditors.

Not to mention that he didn't include any sort of third party special needs planning for Flynn.

Sheesh.
If only Turtleboy were the mastermind behind BB instead of that hack Vince Gilligan.
3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #231
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
He has no money.
Well, he already paid him once.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #232
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr461 View Post
Great series and great finale. As mentioned on Talking Bad, very glad it wasn't one of those vague endings that leave it up to the viewers to interpret (hate those!). Nothing worse in a finale (IMO) that after investing years in a series, it is left wide open.

For crying out loud, even with all the closure provided, this thread is replete with further conjecture of what happens to Jesse, does Lydia survive, does she take revenge on Skylar, lol.
Completely agree. I hate, hate, hate the vague, what happens endings. Yuck.

They did a great job wrapping it up. Awesome finale.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #233
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
Completely agree. I hate, hate, hate the vague, what happens endings. Yuck.

They did a great job wrapping it up. Awesome finale.
So....is Walt dead?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #234
JohnB1000

Reading a Vince G interview I was reminded of two things.

1. We seem to almost have completely overlooked that Jesse killed Todd

2. The reason for the Lydia death was partly because they filmed Walt retrieving the ricin without a clear plan of what he would do with it. They had to come up with something. Ultimately, with that prequel seeming so key, it wasn't the best use but they had to do something.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #235
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I think she's too short-sighted and selfish. Jesse did what he did because he finally realized that (1) Walt was going to die anyway, and (2) he wanted to get as far away as possible, as quickly as possible from that "life". There's a saying "don't engage"... while Jesse may have felt all those things, it was his one and only chance to escape. If he tried to engage Walt about any of those things, he'd lose his one and only change to get away from it all and not look back. He made the right choice.

eta: And mentioned above, everything they both felt was clearly and finally summed up in those last to looks they gave each other. Nothing more was needed.
Did Jesse know Walt was going to die? Of cancer or the bullet wound?

I personally thought Walt was just nicked. Didn't seem like much blood, he was walking around just fine, he talked just fine, he didn't appear in pain.

Hell, even I thought he was going to grab a car and drive out. Well, until he died that is.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #236
JohnB1000

Quote:
Well, he already paid him once.
I'm not sure that's accurate, didn't Walt pay him when he got in the car or got to the Vacuum place. Ultimately it's all irrelevant of course.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #237
Fahtrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
Also, can Lydia be saved by knowing she was poison by Ricin by going straight to the hospital?
no
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #238
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Reading a Vince G interview I was reminded of two things.

1. We seem to almost have completely overlooked that Jesse killed Todd

2. The reason for the Lydia death was partly because they filmed Walt retrieving the ricin without a clear plan of what he would do with it. They had to come up with something. Ultimately, with that prequel seeming so key, it wasn't the best use but they had to do something.
Are you kidding? Jesse killing Todd might have been the single highlight of the whole episode for me. I was literally screaming at my TV. It was spectacular!

And I am certain that they planned Lydia's death with the ricin a long time ago. Something that specific is not done by chance. Gilligan is much too detailed for something that large to be coincidence. I have a feeling they planned Lydia's death from the first time she ordered her tea. It was set up a LONG time ago.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #239
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
So....is Walt dead?
I'm going with yes.

Based on a ton of TV shows and movies, when the cops quickly secure an area they only skip over the dead people.

Though I think Hannibal Lecter pulled one over on them once. Jason Bourne might have too.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #240
Jstkiddn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
My issue with that scene was that there was fresh snow on the car, so wouldn't there be fresh footprints going into the car? Are we to assume that car was in the parking lot of the bar or somewhere else?
I assumed it was at the bar, but the police sure didn't stay very long to search.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote