TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #631
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
"'Breaking Bad' team shares regrets, final season love and a documentary"
What does Vince Gilligan wish he could change?

http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print...-a-documentary
I skimmed that article and it looks like it has spoilers for the documentary. Can someone confirm/deny that has spoilers of the documentary itself?

thanks.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #632
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Another spinoff!

Huell's Rules

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #633
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
Another spinoff!

Huell's Rules

Greg
lol
Old 12-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #634
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
Another spinoff!

Huell's Rules

Greg
I think I saw Huell (the actor) on the Robin Williams show last week.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #635
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I think I saw Huell (the actor) on the Robin Williams show last week.
You did, guarding the Victoria's Secret bra "We're going to have a problem!"
Old 12-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #636
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMN View Post
Here's Vince Gilligan unboxing the new Blu-Ray set. I wish I had $200 laying around.
Did anyone buy this? My g/f and I were going to get it, but now it's totally sold out, and only profiteers are selling it for $350 and up on Ebay and Amazon.

Now we're screwed. I never expected AMC to severely limit the production of these things.. I thought they'd be available for more than just one month. I don't recall it being marketed as a limited edition collectors' item only type deal.

Not sure I want to pony up $350 for the thing.

They do have amazon warehouse deals for $305 for scratch and dent returns (missing activation codes).. not sure I want someone's opened up rejected and returned box set to save $50.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #637
Hank
AC•FTW

well, found it on the official BB store website for $300 (still a $100 premium over the original $200 price). Grrrrr....

http://www.breakingbadstore.com/brea...tails/29103363
Old 12-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #638
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Now we're screwed. I never expected AMC to severely limit the production of these things.. I thought they'd be available for more than just one month. I don't recall it being marketed as a limited edition collectors' item only type deal.
I suspect there will be a standard edition (i.e., regular packaging) sooner rather than later...
Old 12-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #639
Hank
AC•FTW

sure, but who wants that? The barrel is the best part!

Old 12-15-2013, 02:19 AM   #640
Worf

Interestingly, there's a ton up here in Canada - at Best Buy and Future Shop. I don't know if your Best Buys down there still have them in-store, but I know over here most have at least one.May be worth taking a trip north. Or checking out the local B&M store first - I guess most people assumed it would be online only or something.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #641
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Interestingly, there's a ton up here in Canada - at Best Buy and Future Shop. I don't know if your Best Buys down there still have them in-store, but I know over here most have at least one.May be worth taking a trip north. Or checking out the local B&M store first - I guess most people assumed it would be online only or something.
I had checked earlier because some people said they had thm, in stock, but none within as far as I could check (or drive). Some people said Costco also has them, I might check tomorrow, but that comment was weeks ago.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #642
leeherman

Quote:
Did anyone buy this? My g/f and I were going to get it, but now it's totally sold out, and only profiteers are selling it for $350 and up on Ebay and Amazon.

Not sure I want to pony up $350 for the thing.

They do have amazon warehouse deals for $305 for scratch and dent returns (missing activation codes).. not sure I want someone's opened up rejected and returned box set to save $50.
I pre-ordered from Amazon for $200 and got it on release date.

I haven't started watching the discs yet but the packaging is something!

LH
leeherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #643
gweempose

Quote:
well, found it on the official BB store website for $300 (still a $100 premium over the original $200 price). Grrrrr....

I'm kind of pissed off at the Breaking Bad store. Right after the finale aired, I went to the store because they were offering 10% off. I ended up purchasing four "limited edition" prints for $50 each. I was under the impression at the time that they were truly limited, but this was clearly not the case, as they are still for sale. They are now technically on their "second edition", and they have removed the word "limited" from the description, but they are still the exact same prints. I think it's total BS! I never would have payed that much for them if I knew they would be making so many of them.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #644
GoPackGo

Are yours numbered in anyway? Could be that the ones they are selling now aren't numbered.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #645
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

My policy for buying "limited collector item classics" is if I think the object itself is worth the price, I'll buy it; otherwise, I won't. I never trust that it will never become less limited.

I recently bought an extremely expensive extremely limited collected edition of the Zenith comics, which were first published in a British weekly magazine in the 90s and haven't been seen since because of rights issues, despite being by a "hot" writer. It sold out within hours of being offered for sale (months before publication). Now they're doing a four-volume unlimited edition which will cost altogether about half what I paid. But I figured it was worth it at the time, and I'm not going to cry over it now.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #646
Worf

The secret of "limited" or "collector's" stuff is you don't get them to make a profit - just to appreciate them. Especially since if an item is particularly popular, there's no reason why an "unlimited" edition comes out.

Of course, for some things, it's difficult to do since they may have dozens of little parts that have limited runs and doing other runs makes it uneconomical.

But you buy it to enjoy it. Usually the "unlimited" editions are also printed on more standard paper rather than special higher quality paper.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #647
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:

I'll bet that in 5 years you'll be able to get that very same set for $5 in a garage sale.

ETA: Bryan Cranston in "Little Miss Sunshine":

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #648
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post

Are yours numbered in any way? Could be that the ones they are selling now aren't numbered.
All four of mine are signed and numbered, but according to the website, the ones that they are currently selling are signed and numbered as well. To me, it's nothing more than pure greed. Once they realized how popular the prints were, they decided to milk them for all they could. At least I'm really happy with the prints themselves. I got them framed, and they look great!

(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #649
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
All four of mine are signed and numbered, but according to the website, the ones that they are currently selling are signed and numbered as well.
I had the same thing with my numbered Army of Darkness DVD, but then I noticed something...

Mine is # of 7000. I don't want to dig it out to see the specifics, but it's something like 3428 of 7000. Not the lowest, but not the highest either. Later, they realized it was more popular, so they did more numbered sets, this time, # of 10,000. Two runs, one of 7000, the other of 10,000.

Therefore, the rarity stands, in fact it's "worth more", because it's the first run.
Add to that the fact that I had Bruce Campbell sign it. He's one of the easiest autographs to obtain, but still. I'm more than ok with it.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #650
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigbob View Post
I never watched the show during its normal run, but recorded the entire series the week of the finale.
Ditto. Watched the final season this weekend, and just finished reading this thread. Just a fabulous show. I don't think I liked it quite as much as some of you (thought the first two seasons were a bit slow), but really enjoyed it, especially the last season - although a part of my wanted the whole family to ride off into the sunset loaded with cash.

I didn't see this comment addressed in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
It looked like he used a remote car starter, and some Craftsman hand tools.

There was no reason for the trunk lid to open if it was going to shoot right through. How about the flames?
IMO, the opening of the trunk is what triggered it. He wasn't using a remote starter, just the trunk release. The "gatlin gun" was already running, it just couldn't turn (or anything else) because the trunk lid was creating resistance. Once he popped the trunk, it took off.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #651
Hank
AC•FTW

Not to start a big'ol TCF flame war, but I'm pretty sure (1) the car was a 1977 Cadillac Sedan de Ville, which I'm sure didn't have a remote key fob or remote trunk release, and (2) the key fob he used was for the garage door opener that was mounted upside down and what was drove the machine gun to sweep back and forth. I'm guessing he rigged an actuator to open the trunk. (You can see the box for the actuator when he's assembling the unit in the desert (yes, he would have needed another to actuate the trigger as well).
Old 12-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #652
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Not sure why you think there's some type of flame war going on, but I'll play.

Yes, they did take some liberties (regarding the fact that that car wouldn't have had a key fob), but the key fob shown on the show was clearly to a car and not a garage door opener (which of course he was using to operate the gun and was clearly shown during prep).

I'll add that they took additional liberties, seeing as that particular key fob doesn't even have a trunk release.

Either way, the opening of the trunk was the key to getting everything started.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #653
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanstew View Post

Yes, they did take some liberties (regarding the fact that that car wouldn't have had a key fob), but the key fob shown on the show was clearly to a car and not a garage door opener (which of course he was using to operate the gun and was clearly shown during prep).

I'll add that they took additional liberties, seeing as that particular key fob doesn't even have a trunk release.

The trunk didn't need to open. The gun shot through the side.

What was a stretch was using a 110volt garage door opener in a 12VDC car.
(I know. He had an inverter offstage.)
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #654
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
I was just being facetious, about how the most trivial of discussions can erupt into a good ole' TCF flame war. (see: That Escalated Quickly)

Quote:
I would say the trunk opening was just the first step in the sequence, and not that the following events were dependent on the trunk opening. IOW, if for some reason the trunk didn't open, the rest of the sequence still would have still triggered. It would have been a really, really, bad design to make the sequences dependent on each other. In order to open the trunk, all he needed was a wire, rope, or chain attached from the trunk latch to the rotating arm to pull the latch when the arm started rotating. No need for a sophisticated remotely fired mechanism to open the trunk, then trigger everything else off.

At a minimum, you want the device triggering to work in this order of importance:
1. Pull trigger, guns fires
2. Rotate the gun sweeping back and forth
3. open trunk (for dramatic effect or possible cooling)

If #2 and #3 failed, at least you have #1 working. #2 is better. #3 is best.

If it operated in reverse, if for some reason the trunk opening failed, the rest of the plan is killed. Seems like a backwards design strategy to me.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #655
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

The only reason the trunk opened was for our benefit as viewers. We got to see the glorious results of Walt's machine strafing bullets through the Aryan Brotherhood's compound. But the machine would have worked just fine without the trunk opening. It just wouldn't have looked as cool to the viewer.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #656
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
The trunk didn't need to open. The gun shot through the side.
It didn't need to open in terms of stopping bullets, but it's possible it did need to open to "trigger" the events.

Quote:
I would say the trunk opening was just the first step in the sequence, and not that the following events were dependent on the trunk opening. IOW, if for some reason the trunk didn't open, the rest of the sequence still would have still triggered. It would have been a really, really, bad design to make the sequences dependent on each other. In order to open the trunk, all he needed was a wire, rope, or chain attached from the trunk latch to the rotating arm to pull the latch when the arm started rotating. No need for a sophisticated remotely fired mechanism to open the trunk, then trigger everything else off.

At a minimum, you want the device triggering to work in this order of importance:
1. Pull trigger, guns fires
2. Rotate the gun sweeping back and forth
3. open trunk (for dramatic effect or possible cooling)

If #2 and #3 failed, at least you have #1 working. #2 is better. #3 is best.

If it operated in reverse, if for some reason the trunk opening failed, the rest of the plan is killed. Seems like a backwards design strategy to me.
While all that is true, why did he need the key fob (to a vehicle) in the first place? Isn't it possible it was like a Jack in the Box? The trunk lid was holding something in place that once removed, started the whole process, perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
The only reason the trunk opened was for our benefit as viewers. We got to see the glorious results of Walt's machine strafing bullets through the Aryan Brotherhood's compound. But the machine would have worked just fine without the trunk opening. It just wouldn't have looked as cool to the viewer.
Sure, part of it is visual, but we have no idea if it would have worked without the trunk opening (the way Walt set it up).

And the reality is that we'll probably never know. He could have done it a myriad of ways, but for whatever reason, he chose to use a car key fob and once one button was pressed, the trunk opened and all hell broke loose.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #657
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
While all that is true, why did he need the key fob (to a vehicle) in the first place? Isn't it possible it was like a Jack in the Box? The trunk lid was holding something in place that once removed, started the whole process, perhaps?
Sure, it's possible, but it's still a dependency, a weak link in the chain. If, for whatever reason the trunk didn't open (suppose they threw a dead body on top of the trunk, or the latch jammed, or the trunk springs broke??)... you don't want the rest of the machine to depend on just the trunk opening. You want the main part to work, which, IMHO clearly would have worked without the trunk opening.

Now if he was driving a later model car that already had a factory key fob and a remote trunk open feature, then I would agree with you, that that is a part of the system that's already built-in and quite dependable, and he could trigger the rest of the system off of that. But to build it that way from scratch? I don't think so.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #658
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Right, but you still haven't made a suggestion as to what the key fob did. He clearly needed it. He pushed one button on it once. Which button? What did it do?

I surmise, it popped the trunk and that activated everything else. What's your supposition?

I'm not saying that's how I (or you) would do it, but it seems like that's how Walter set it up based on the information that we have.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #659
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Right, but you still haven't made a suggestion as to what the key fob did. He clearly needed it. He pushed one button on it once. Which button? What did it do?

I surmise, it popped the trunk and that activated everything else. What's your supposition?

I'm not saying that's how I (or you) would do it, but it seems like that's how Walter set it up based on the information that we have.
I surmise that he rigged two (or three) actuators/servos all to trigger (in parallel) from the one remote.. one to pop the trunk, and then a second servo to activate the garage door opener after a short delay (trivial to do at 12v), and then possibly a third servo to trigger the gun to fire. The gun trigger could be mechanically tied to the moving arm mechanism, I suppose, which wouldn't need a third servo. It seems odd to me to create a serial-based system where any link in the chain could fail the entire system, as opposed to a parallel system there each event is triggered independently.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #660
Hank
AC•FTW

Cast of BB on Conan on right now. All BB themed everything.

oops. ETA: It's a re-run. Sorry. I hadn't seen it before.