TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #391
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Tim Goodman puts Breaking Bad at #2

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bas...s-stand-639177
Can someone tell me if this article contains any spoilers about other shows. I really want to read it, but I'm afraid it might reveal stuff about other shows that I haven't seen yet.
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #392
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
It was interesting in Talking Bad (at least I think it was in TB) how they (possibly VG) mentioned
Spoiler:
dressing Skyler in larger clothes to make her appear to be thinner, lending to the impression of how stressed she was...
Maybe they did the same to Walt...
I think Vince was saying that they thought about doing that with Skyler, since they had done the same with Walt. I don't think they actually did that with Skyler, though. Also, as cearbhaill mentioned, they did some make up work on Walt's face to make him seem more gaunt (goth?) as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Good point. But if you recall, the AB was going to kill Jesse so the likelihood of him teaming up with them to cook meth isn't very realistic, IMHO. OTOH, Walt may have jumped to conclusions when he realized that Jesse was cooking the blue meth and thought Jesse offered to cook in exchange for staying alive. That's essentially what happened, but not by his choice. I guess only Vince Gilligan knows the real motive behind Walt's actions.
Vince pretty much laid out Walt's thought process during his interview with Stephen Colbert on Monday night.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...gilligan-pt--2
Old 10-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #393
peitsche
Immer vor der Glotze

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I think Vince was saying that they thought about doing that with Skyler, since they had done the same with Walt. I don't think they actually did that with Skyler, though. Also, as cearbhaill mentioned, they did some make up work on Walt's face to make him seem more gaunt (goth?) as well.

Vince pretty much laid out Walt's thought process during his interview with Stephen Colbert on Monday night.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...gilligan-pt--2
Thanks for posting that video clip. Turns out Walt did not intent to "save" Jesse at all.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #394
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
I think it was pretty clear that when Walt found out about the purity of the product he knew immediately that Jesse was cooking it. I don't think in a 1,000 years he would have dreamed they were holding him hostage and beating him in order to make him cook the stuff. I'm sure he just assumed they had partnered up. He was pissed!

I think he was truly shocked to see just what had become of Jesse and in that moment made the decision to save him.
Except for the fact that Walt knew Jesse was out of the business and wanted nothing more to do with cooking meth, especially with Walt. Walt realized immediately that Jesse was cooking the blue meth and was obviously pissed when he had that revelation. I'm pretty sure Walt was smart enough to know that even though Jesse was doing the cooking, he wouldn't be doing it voluntarily. He put 2 and 2 together and figured he could take care of two birds with one stone.

This is just my interpretation of how things went. I can see how others may have seen it differently. It's all good. In any case, once Walt saw Jesse in chains he made up his mind that he had to save him. Whether he decided that beforehand is simply conjecture on my part.

I just saw the link to the Colbert interview so it would appear that you are correct. Unfortunately, I can't link to the video from work so I'll have to check it out when I get home.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #395
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsche View Post
Thanks for posting that video clip. Turns out Walt did not intent to "save" Jesse at all.
I think that's a misinterpretation. Vince says he was coming back for his own reasons (because he thought Jesse had yet again turned on him) but once he finds that Jesse is a slave he changed his mind and he decided save him.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #396
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post

I think that's a misinterpretation. Vince says he was coming back for his own reasons (because he thought Jesse had yet again turned on him) but once he finds that Jesse is a slave he changed his mind and he decided save him.
Correct, but the point was that saving Jesse was not his original motivation for returning to the AB's HQ.
(3) Minis

Old 10-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #397
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
Correct, but the point was that saving Jesse was not his original motivation for returning to the AB's HQ.
And even more so Walt went to the AB compound with the intent of killing all the Nazis and killing Jesse as well. It wasn't until Walt found out Jesse had been a slave for nearly six months, and that Walt was the reason for this, that Walt decided to protect Jesse rather than killing him.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #398
The Flush
Anonymous User

Is Jesse the only one who killed someone who is still alive?
The Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #399
MonsterJoe
$('.electric').slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flush View Post

MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #400
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flush View Post
Hmm... He might be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #401
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
But we knew that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #402
DougF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJoe View Post
He probably meant to say something like "Is Jesse the only one still alive who killed someone else?".
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #403
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Tim Goodman puts Breaking Bad at #2

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bas...s-stand-639177
Quote:
Can someone tell me if this article contains any spoilers about other shows. I really want to read it, but I'm afraid it might reveal stuff about other shows that I haven't seen yet.
Not really, only in the very broadest sense. No specific spoilers. I haven't seen some of them (The Wire, for example), and didn't feel spoiled by what I read.

This link, BTW, is the one I was referring to a few posts up, about the list of all-time greatest shows. Very worthwhile read.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #404
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

Not really, only in the very broadest sense. No specific spoilers. I haven't seen some of them (The Wire, for example), and didn't feel spoiled by what I read.
Thanks! I just read the article, and it's a very interesting analysis of the shows. I then randomly stumbled across this article by Damon Lindelof. It was supposed to be about the Breaking Bad finale, but he ends up talking more about the Lost finale instead ...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-finale-639484
(3) Minis

Old 10-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #405
MonsterJoe
$('.electric').slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
He probably meant to say something like "Is Jesse the only one still alive who killed someone else?".
Oh duh - oops.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #406
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
Can I ask a favor? I've ignored the few times it's happened because I don't want to nag during the final thread, but can people please stop spoiling the end of other shows? I can almost see St a Elsewhere and Six Feet Under because the were a while ago, but Dexter JUST ended, and now I'm reading left and right here whether it's finale was good or not. Please don't spoil stuff for those of us a few seasons back. We even have rules about this here.

Sorry/thanks.
I have never watched the last few episodes of Battlestar Galactica because I was behind in finishing it and heard so many places that the ending stunk. I wasn't even spoiled by anything specific, but I just somehow never got around to watching it, even tho I have it recorded. Maybe I should go and do that.....
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #407
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
'Breaking Bad' finale song 'Baby Blue' posts huge 3,000% sales increase

I will confess I've listened to it about 20 times in my car since Sunday. I have a USB drive I play in my car with about 6,000 songs on it, and a search turned up four Badfinger songs, including Baby Blue.
Besides loving this show and being sad that it's over, I had a bit of a connection to the music in the finale.

My parents had that Marty Robbins album when I was a kid, and for some reason I liked "El Paso" and listened to it over and over. Haven't heard it in 40 years, and there it was. And the story in the song does kinda sorta fit with Walt in BB. Though maybe Jesse is "Filena." I also think it's possible that Walt went in to the AB compound with the intent to save Jesse. Calling out Uncle Jack on not killing Jesse could have been a way to get him to produce Jesse. Not saying it's probable, but possible. A lot of things had to fall into place, but a lot of things had to fall in place in general in this episode.

I've always loved "Baby Blue" and if you like the song, there is an impossible-to-find cover version by a guy named Phil Keaggy that is incredible. Phil is a guitar guy so the song is more guitar heavy, but not overboard. The album is called "Blue." I bought it on ebay years ago because I couldn't find it online.

As for what to watch now, if you haven't seen Orphan Black, I recommend it. It's between seasons - season one is over and season two starts next year. It's similar to Breaking Bad in that the lead is incredibly talented and it draws you in right away (there's no "just wait until episode four and stuff starts to happen" with this show), but other than that it's pretty different.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #408
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
Besides loving this show and being sad that it's over, I had a bit of a connection to the music in the finale.

My parents had that Marty Robbins album when I was a kid, and for some reason I liked "El Paso" and listened to it over and over. Haven't heard it in 40 years, and there it was. And the story in the song does kinda sorta fit with Walt in BB. Though maybe Jesse is "Filena." I also think it's possible that Walt went in to the AB compound with the intent to save Jesse. Calling out Uncle Jack on not killing Jesse could have been a way to get him to produce Jesse. Not saying it's probable, but possible. A lot of things had to fall into place, but a lot of things had to fall in place in general in this episode.
VG said in the Colbert interview posted above that Walt's "Precious" is the blue meth and the lab he created. That's his "Felina" that he's coming back for.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #409
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
...I've always loved "Baby Blue" and if you like the song, there is an impossible-to-find cover version by a guy named Phil Keaggy that is incredible. Phil is a guitar guy so the song is more guitar heavy, but not overboard. The album is called "Blue." I bought it on ebay years ago because I couldn't find it online....
I am VERY familiar with Phil Keaggy's music. He is one of the greatest acoustic guitar players in the world (IMHO), and even plays missing half the middle finger on his right hand.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #410
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
VG said in the Colbert interview posted above that Walt's "Precious" is the blue meth and the lab he created. That's his "Felina" that he's coming back for.
Maybe.....maybe not....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #411
Langree
The Gimp

Saw Phil in concert once at my college, amazing guitar player.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #412
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post

Maybe.....maybe not....
Since VG said that it is, and it's his show, I don't think it's open to interpretation. Then again, half the people still disagree with Lindelof's explanation of what went down on Lost ...
(3) Minis

Old 10-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #413
danterner
Not it!

"Baby Blue" is now at 9000%

That's Heisenberg level...
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #414
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
"Baby Blue" is now at 9000%

That's Heisenberg level...
We just know that the clueless record company made AMC pay huge bucks for clearance so AMC could promote the song and sell lotsa copies for the record company.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 10-02-2013 at 10:31 PM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #415
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
We just know that the clueless record company made AMC pay huge bucks for clearance so AMC could promote the song and sell lots a copies for the record company.
So they made money twice, wish I was that clueless.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #416
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
So they made money twice, wish I was that clueless.
Eventually the world will be right and such as AMC will charge a promotional fee.

Note that among the advertisers for this last episode were Mercedes-Benz.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #417
JohnB1000

Listening to the Talking TV Podcast and man were they negative about the finale. The biggest complaint was basically that Walt got what he wanted which was quite a shift for the shows tone (In EP1 he wanted money for his family because he was going to die, he got that).

They made a point about how few minutes Jesse got in the final 8 episodes (compared to earlier) and since he was many people's favorite character it seemed off.

My conclusion now. I would have ended at Ozymandias, Walt going with the relocator but defeated, Jesse dead or chained cooking. Earlier I was not a big Hank fan but the show lost it's power when he (and Marie) were gone.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #418
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
We just know that the clueless record company made AMC pay huge bucks for clearance so AMC could promote the song and sell lotsa copies for the record company.
I'm not entirely sure, but I think there's a statute of limitations that puts music in the public domain after 20 years unless the rights are renewed. It automatically enters public domain 70 years after the author's death. It's possible, but not likely, that AMC probably may not have had to pay any royalties to use it.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #419
maltese

I am assuming spoilers from any part of the series is allowed in this thread?

Anyways, I had one thought that keeps coming up. The final episode of S4 where Gus dies, the famous Faceoff scene. Loved it, as it was a major jaw dropping moment in the story. He walks out and then you clearly see half his head missing. When I saw that scene, I felt like the story suddenly took a turn toward the suspension of disbelief route. Almost supernatural.

And yes, we can debate all sorts of aspects of the show that are hard to believe, but for the most part, almost all other events were based in the possibility of reality. Do people agree that the faceoff scene was the only scene that pushed the limit of non supernatural belief?

I only thought about this because, prior to Felina, I wondered if the grand finale would include another such impossible to believe scene. But obviously they kept it grounded in reality. So what's the deal, in hindsight, you either say that the faceoff scene was out of place in an otherwise non-supernatural story. Or, you can try to explain the scene by saying people can stand up and walk for 10 seconds with half their face blown off.

Thoughts?
maltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #420
nyny523
Oy

I thought the head on the tortoise was pretty crazy.

Loved it, but crazy.