TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #361
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
The Shield, yes. Lost..ehh.
The first season or two of LOST had me counting the days. We had parties to watch together.

It totally fell apart for me and got ridiculous to the point I was almost done with it. But for a period of time it was gripping.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #362
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
You aren't watching Game of Thrones?

Want to. Love the genre. Don't want to pay for HBO. Trying to figure out a legal way to watch it free.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #363
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
That was funny. Laugh out loud funny!
Spoiler:
"Keep typing beeitch!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #364
cherry ghost

Tim Goodman puts Breaking Bad at #2

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bas...s-stand-639177
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #365
JohnB1000

What he says now isn't that important, it's what people say in 5 years that matters.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #366
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahtrim View Post
Mad men, no. not consistent enough
I disagree. It is the best time piece series I have ever seen.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #367
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
Mad Men had spectacular writing, great performances, universal themes, unbelievable sets and costumes and is as good of a character written drama as any of the others on that list - maybe even better than some.

Mad Men is truly excellent TV.

brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #368
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post

Want to. Love the genre. Don't want to pay for HBO. Trying to figure out a legal way to watch it free.
Make friends with someone who has HBO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #369
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
Mad Men had spectacular writing, great performances, universal themes, unbelievable sets and costumes and is as good of a character written drama as any of the others on that list - maybe even better than some.

Mad Men is truly excellent TV.
It's anti-semitic, misogynistic and racist. By episode 5 I realized I hated every single character on the show and was only watching because the sets were interesting. That's when I gave up.

Which, admittedly, is interesting in a thread about a chemistry teacher who turns into a drug dealer, but somehow, there remained parts of Walter White which were not despicable, and while everybody was complex, they (almost) all had things about them you could like and relate to.

Sure, I get that the characters on Mad Men were products of their times and their hateful attitudes are just "part of day-to-day life", but it doesn't make me nostalgic for the 1950s, it makes me cringe to watch it.

There's a scene in Boardwalk Empire where a devout christian takes his jewish co-worker and literally drowns him while trying to get him to convert to christianity, and that scene is distasteful and difficult to watch. But Mad Men felt like that every week. I kept thinking to myself "who is the everyman here? Who is the character I'm supposed to relate to? Or failing that, who am I supposed to like and/or root for?" and there wasn't anybody. Nobody has any redeeming qualities that I could see.

Perhaps that changed in later seasons?

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #370
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

it's set in the 1960s, not the 1950s.

Not that it really changes your argument. But it's a really good representation of what life was like then. I think. I wasn't alive then.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #371
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post

Sign up for HBO for one month. Stream the entire previous seasons through HBO Go. Turn HBO off until next year.

$15 it'll cost you for 3 seasons of some of the best TV I've ever seen in my life. Maybe less if you catch it on one of those "get HBO free for one month" promos.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #372
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
it's set in the 1960s, not the 1950s.

Not that it really changes your argument. But it's a really good representation of what life was like then. I think. I wasn't alive then.
I was, and it is.

That said, I think BB has the edge over MM...however, they are VERY different animals. So comparing them is somewhat an exercise in futility...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #373
astrohip
Stuart F

'Breaking Bad' finale song 'Baby Blue' posts huge 3,000% sales increase

http://www.hitfix.com/news/breaking-...sales-increase

Quote:
British rock group Badfinger is experiencing a mini-resurgence thanks to Sunday night's explosive "Breaking Bad" finale.

The now-defunct rock band's 1972 single "Baby Blue" is set for a nearly 3,000% sales increase after being featured in the final frames of AMC's popular crime-drama series, according to Billboard, with the song logging 5,000 downloads on Sunday night alone. That would be the biggest digital sales week ever for the track, which was taken from the group's 1971 album "Straight Up." The song also briefly rose into the Top 25 on iTunes' top songs list, though it appears to have fallen off the chart since. Billboard predicts the track will place on this week's Rock Digital Songs chart (it hit a peak of No. 14 on the Billboard Hot 100 when it was released); final sales figures are set to be released on Wednesday.

In addition to increased sales, "Baby Blue" was up 9,000% in Spotify streams in the 11 hours following the finale.

Badfinger (originally known as The Iveys) first formed in Swansea, Wales in the early 1960s. The band - made up of Pete Ham, Mike Gibbins, Tom Evans and Joey Molland at their height - were signed to the Beatles' Apple record label in 1968 and released a total of ten studio albums, the last of which was delayed for 19 years before finally hitting stores in 2000. Marred by tragedy, the group lost two members to suicide over an eight-year period, with Ham taking his own life in 1975 and Evans following in 1983.
I will confess I've listened to it about 20 times in my car since Sunday. I have a USB drive I play in my car with about 6,000 songs on it, and a search turned up four Badfinger songs, including Baby Blue.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #374
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Sign up for HBO for one month. Stream the entire previous seasons through HBO Go. Turn HBO off until next year.

$15 it'll cost you for 3 seasons of some of the best TV I've ever seen in my life. Maybe less if you catch it on one of those "get HBO free for one month" promos.
That is quite similar to my free plan, where my wife makes her yearly call to Comcast to get us back on the promotional pricing but I'm asking her to get some free HBO added.

Or else we walk to U-verse.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #375
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
'Breaking Bad' finale song 'Baby Blue' posts huge 3,000% sales increase

http://www.hitfix.com/news/breaking-...sales-increase

I will confess I've listened to it about 20 times in my car since Sunday. I have a USB drive I play in my car with about 6,000 songs on it, and a search turned up four Badfinger songs, including Baby Blue.
The Devil with a blue dress on guys were seen sulking in the corner.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #376
mr.unnatural

Just watched this last night. One of the things that sets this finale head and shoulders above so many others is that it offered closure to a well-told story. After seeing the POS that ended Dexter, this was more than a welcome relief. I second the sentiment about Six Feet Under in that it also provided closure to a great series. Too many finales just leave you guessing and disappointed.

Sure, there were some holes in the plot, but what script doesn't have a few? In order to make good TV you have to stretch the boundaries of reality a bit to make things work. The bit about the watch just showed how much attention they paid to details. My wife and I usually make a game out of spotting flaws in shows that have no concept of continuity or staging (the magic glass that mysteriously changes fluid levels with the camera angle is the most common and easiest to spot). Anyway, here's my take on the finale.

When Walt talked to his son in the previous episode he finally realized how badly he had screwed up his life and everyone around him, especially those he cared for the most. I'm pretty sure he was already aware of this to some extent, but when his son read him the riot act it finally hit home. Seeing Elliott and Gretchen on TV gave him a way to start making amends by setting up the trust for his kids. The money no longer held any meaning for him as he had already lost everything that really mattered.

When he got back in the car with Badger and Skinny Pete and found out that the blue meth was still being manufactured, he realized that Jesse was still alive. This was one more chance for him to make things right. First, he had the opportunity to take revenge for Hank's death as well as save Jesse. Killing Lydia was the way to break the chain so that no more meth would get distributed or produced. Having Jesse kill Todd was just a bonus.

In the end, I saw Walt as both a hero and a villain, albeit a badly broken one (or would that be Broken Badly? ). He lived his life to the fullest, but paid dearly for it. The one question that remains is whether or not Walt's cancer had actually gone back into remission. Having a full head of hair just meant that he stopped the chemotherapy. The telltale cough indicates to me that he still had cancer and that he was resigned to it being terminal. He basically had nothing left to lose, hence the suicide mission to save Jesse and take out the bad guys.

This show will be hard to top as one of the best ever. I really hope that Vince Gilligan takes another shot at a TV series because this was simply brilliant.

FYI - Walt's first kill was when he strangled the gang member that tried to rob and kill him and Jesse in the first season. He didn't succomb to the toxic fumes Walt released in the RV in the 1st episode so they shackled him to a pole in Jesse's basement with a bike lock. I think he did the deed in the 2nd episode, but I'd have to go back and check.

Last edited by mr.unnatural : 10-02-2013 at 07:55 AM.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #377
Hank
AC•FTW

Good points.

One thing though -- when Walt found out that Jesse was still cooking, he assumed he was in partnership with Jack, and not being held as a slave. (Jesse already flipped to the DEA, so why wouldn't Walt think he flipped again to work with the AB?). So I think Walt went there to primarily assassinate the entire AB crew, and "deal" with Jesse one way or another. It wasn't until he learned that Jesse was being held against his will that he decided to rescue/shield him from the gunfire. Either he had planned to kill Jesse, or let Jesse kill him (as he offered). But I don't think he went there expecting to "save" Jesse.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #378
jkeegan

Can I ask a favor? I've ignored the few times it's happened because I don't want to nag during the final thread, but can people please stop spoiling the end of other shows? I can almost see St a Elsewhere and Six Feet Under because the were a while ago, but Dexter JUST ended, and now I'm reading left and right here whether it's finale was good or not. Please don't spoil stuff for those of us a few seasons back. We even have rules about this here.

Sorry/thanks.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
jkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #379
ct1

Crossover from the "federal government shutting down" thread: Colbert's Breaking Gov
ct1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #380
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I don't see how Breaking Bad will ever be better than the Wire in my own mind. If anything, Breaking Bad might fall below some of my other all-time favorites like Deadwood. I am not saying it WILL happen, but that's the only direction I can see it going. The Wire has permeated my very being and changed how I view the world. Breaking Bad was just a really, really good story.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #381
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
Can I ask a favor? I've ignored the few times it's happened because I don't want to nag during the final thread, but can people please stop spoiling the end of other shows? I can almost see St a Elsewhere and Six Feet Under because the were a while ago, but Dexter JUST ended, and now I'm reading left and right here whether it's finale was good or not. Please don't spoil stuff for those of us a few seasons back. We even have rules about this here.

Sorry/thanks.
Yeah...the comments you allude to have been creeping closer and closer to spoiler territory. I, for one, have not yet caught up the end of Dexter (I have four eps left), and there have been some comments here about
Spoiler:
how bad the series finale is...

Old 10-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #382
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Good points.

One thing though -- when Walt found out that Jesse was still cooking, he assumed he was in partnership with Jack, and not being held as a slave. (Jesse already flipped to the DEA, so why wouldn't Walt think he flipped again to work with the AB?). So I think Walt went there to primarily assassinate the entire AB crew, and "deal" with Jesse one way or another. It wasn't until he learned that Jesse was being held against his will that he decided to rescue/shield him from the gunfire. Either he had planned to kill Jesse, or let Jesse kill him (as he offered). But I don't think he went there expecting to "save" Jesse.
This was pretty much my take on it also.

I am glad he rescued Jesse by killing all the AB's but he was going to kill them that whether Jesse was there or not. Jesse getting his final revenge on Todd was just perfect.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #383
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
The one question that remains is whether or not Walt's cancer had actually gone back into remission. Having a full head of hair just meant that he stopped the chemotherapy. The telltale cough indicates to me that he still had cancer and that he was resigned to it being terminal.
I don't think there's a question about whether or not his cancer had come back- you could pretty much look at the man in both Granite State and Felina and know he was dying. It's the wasting away that tells the tale.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #384
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

It was interesting in Talking Bad (at least I think it was in TB) how they (possibly VG) mentioned
Spoiler:
dressing Skyler in larger clothes to make her appear to be thinner, lending to the impression of how stressed she was...
Maybe they did the same to Walt...
Old 10-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #385
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
It was interesting in Talking Bad (at least I think it was in TB) how they (possibly VG) mentioned
Spoiler:
dressing Skyler in larger clothes to make her appear to be thinner, lending to the impression of how stressed she was...
Maybe they did the same to Walt...
They did - it was mentioned at the same time they discussed that.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #386
astrohip
Stuart F

When a series as prominent as this ends, the TV-verse tends to go wild. Lists of "top series ever", "top finales ever", "top songs featuring the word 'blue' ever", yada. I read one yesterday, apologize for not having the link, of Top Series. And the writer made an interesting point.

It has to do with the length a series runs, and the quality of the various seasons. He posited that it is very difficult to have a 5-7 year run and have every season be A+ quality. He specifically mentioned Deadwood, oft considered an A+ series (it is in my eyes), but says with only a 3 year run, it's hard to judge. Then he mentions The Sopranos, another oft-considered A+ show. Yet it's universally acknowledged that while as a whole it is top-notch, there were years that were less superb than others.

His point being... Breaking Bad is a rare show that ran for five years (really six), and had no weak seasons. In fact, the show got better as it ran. And that's part of why so many people were drawn to it, it just wouldn't let us go.

I'll see if I can dig up his post, it was fun reading.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #387
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

With Walt being so smart and so precise, I wonder if it bugged him a bit that the gun didn't lift high enough to not shoot through the body of the car.

Obviously he knew the bullets would go through the car, the building, etc. but still I bet it bugged him the gun didn't lift up and clear the trunk wall.

It would have bugged me.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #388
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Good points.

Good point. But if you recall, the AB was going to kill Jesse so the likelihood of him teaming up with them to cook meth isn't very realistic, IMHO. OTOH, Walt may have jumped to conclusions when he realized that Jesse was cooking the blue meth and thought Jesse offered to cook in exchange for staying alive. That's essentially what happened, but not by his choice. I guess only Vince Gilligan knows the real motive behind Walt's actions.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #389
Jstkiddn

I think it was pretty clear that when Walt found out about the purity of the product he knew immediately that Jesse was cooking it. I don't think in a 1,000 years he would have dreamed they were holding him hostage and beating him in order to make him cook the stuff. I'm sure he just assumed they had partnered up. He was pissed!

I think he was truly shocked to see just what had become of Jesse and in that moment made the decision to save him.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #390
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
They did - it was mentioned at the same time they discussed that.
Yes, and I read that he wore facial prosthetics as well.