TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #271
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
Are you kidding? Jesse killing Todd might have been the single highlight of the whole episode for me. I was literally screaming at my TV. It was spectacular!

And I am certain that they planned Lydia's death with the ricin a long time ago. Something that specific is not done by chance. Gilligan is much too detailed for something that large to be coincidence. I have a feeling they planned Lydia's death from the first time she ordered her tea. It was set up a LONG time ago.
I was not saying it was not spectacular, I am saying it hasn't been discussed here much.

Gilligan specifically said few times on this seasons podcast that they did not know what to do with the ricin and kind of backed themselves into a corner. He's also said there was never a fixed long term plan but there was a conscious effort to stay consistent to and resolve what had been laid out before.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #272
gigaguy

I also thought it was Hollywood magic that Walt could show up in Skylar's appt while there was an active manhunt for him.
Another scene a few shows back was when the 3 nazis threatened Skylar in her house at the baby's crib. the house was surrounded by cops. how did 3 guys sneak in.

loved the show. watched all shows in 2 weeks. kinda fast. I will rewatch at a slower pace sometime later but I wanted to sync up to the live finale. series was well done. not ground breaking, but great characters, acting, and story.
Jesse was my favorite character, tho Mike and Saul were great too.

also- someone posted Bob Dylan's lyrics to his song, Baby Blue. that's not the song in the finale. it was a Badfinger song. the group on the Beatles label, Apple, whose lead singer Pete Ham, committed suicide some years ago, and I see Todd Rundgren produced the song for the album. wow, the new BB reference is already on the Wikipedia page for this song, fast..

Last edited by gigaguy : 09-30-2013 at 03:21 PM.
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #273
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post
...Another scene a few shows back was when the 3 nazis threatened Skylar in her house at the baby's crib. the house was surrounded by cops. how did 3 guys sneak in...
Because they're REALLY good bad guys...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #274
squint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I kinda a agree with you on this point. I see A LOT of "belly shots" on TV when people are shot once in the belly area, and then die pretty quickly, without a lot of blood loss. I'm not a doctor, but I don't think that's so realistic. From what I could tell, he was hit in the lower, right side of his abdomen. Maybe it got his liver or intestine, which I guess could be fatal, but not in a few minutes like Walt (again, not a doctor). Now if it were higher up, where it could hit a lung, heart, or major artery, sure, I'd believe it. But in that case, I doubt he'd be walking around.
Gunshot wounds to the liver can be rapidly fatal. The liver doesn't snap back as well as other tissues, resulting in more damage. It also has a large blood supply. Also, the the M60 fires a moderately powerful round very similar to a common hunting rifle round and would do a lot more damage than a handgun.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #275
mrdbdigital
Nano-Bot Advocate

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr461 View Post
Nothing worse in a finale (IMO) that after investing years in a series, it is left wide open.
Yeah, like the Magnum P.I. finale. They implied for 5 or 6 previous seasons that Higgins was Robin Masters, with Magnum figuring out all the tiny clues to this revelation. And then in the finale, Higgins admits that he is Robin Masters.

The closing scene, Higgins turns to Magnum and says (paraphrased), "About my being Robin Masters? I lied." [fade to black]

ARRRRGGGGHHH! The first time I wanted to throw something at the TV!
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #276
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
Gilligan specifically said few times on this seasons podcast that they did not know what to do with the ricin and kind of backed themselves into a corner.
You're saying that he discussed before this finale that he didn't know what to do with the ricin?

Could you point to a podcast, I'm not familiar with this comment.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #277
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Holy crap....the series finale pulled in over 10 million viewers according to EW.
10.3 million viewers, with a 5.2 rating among adults 18-49!

Beat every other show on TV last night except football!

A few blurbs from the article...

Quote:
Breaking Bad will not only be remembered as a TV drama that went out on top — creatively, and in terms of popularity — but possibly as a game-changer for underdog TV shows. The second half of the fifth season premiered last month to a stunningly large audience for the long-struggling cult-favorite series, delivering a record 5.9 million viewers. A couple weeks ago, ratings notably rose to 6.4 million viewers. Then last week’s penultimate hour crept up to 6.6 million.

For the grand series finale Sunday night, Breaking Bad hit 10.3 million viewers, with a 5.2 rating among adults 18-49.

Let me explain how crazy that is. Do you know what the fourth season finale of Breaking Bad delivered a mere two years ago? That was the gripping “Face Off” episode that capped Walter vs. Gus’ deadly season-long chess game. Go on, guess…

The fourth season finale delivered only 1.9 million viewers. And at the time, that rating was actually considered good news. Because that was up 23 percent from season three. So two years and only 16 episodes later (since the fifth season was split into two runs of eight episodes each), Breaking Bad viewership has skyrocketed an astounding 442 percent.
I think the absolute sheer fanaticism of Breaking Bad viewers brought in a few visiting eyeballs. My wife, who is familiar with the basic story but has never watched the series, sat and watched the entire finale with me. I guess a week of watching me run around crazy-eyed and drooling about Sunday night got to her.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #278
3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
You're saying that he discussed before this finale that he didn't know what to do with the ricin?

In the Entertainment Weekly interview with Gilligan (and presumably on other occasions), he said that they originally didn't know what to do with the ricin being left in the wall, and eventually decided that rather than ignore that it had been left there, they came up with giving Walt a reason to go back and retrieve it. At the same time, they desperately wanted to kill Lydia, but knew that it wouldn't have made sense for her to be at the compound. They eventually realized that Lydia was the perfect excuse for them to bring back the ricin (killing two birds with one stone in the process).
3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #279
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Apologies if this has been discussed before- did anyone know that Michael Bowen (Uncle Jack) was Tommy in the Valley Girl movie from 1983??

Wow- that is seriously blowing my mind.......

Good article on Bowen here: (with a pic from Valley Girl)

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/br...150629521.html
Yes.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #280
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
Walt was getting kind of old. Perhaps he had his pants up to his armpits like grandpa...
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
I couldn't find an image, but did find this one. How funny was that?

Wasn't that actor in "Jurassic Park"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmo View Post
My main small quibble with this episode? Marie calling Skyler to tell her that Walt is back in town and they are looking everywhere for him. Everywhere, I guess, except his wife's apartment as he is able to wander around outside with no problems while waiting for Flynn to get home from school.
It seems that the cops never "surrounded" Skyler's home(s) ... a couple of officers just parked out front, like when the balaclava-ed Aryans broke into (and out of) Holly's room without detection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #281
Fahtrim

"Elliot, if we're gonna go in that direction you're gonna need a bigger knife."

awesome
Fahtrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #282
Dawghows

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D View Post
In the Entertainment Weekly interview with Gilligan (and presumably on other occasions), he said that they originally didn't know what to do with the ricin being left in the wall, and eventually decided that rather than ignore that it had been left there, they came up with giving Walt a reason go go back and retrieve it. At the same time, they desperately wanted to kill Lydia, but knew that it wouldn't have made sense for her to be at the compound. They eventually realized that Lydia was the perfect excuse to use bring back the ricin (killing two birds with one stone in the process).
He talked about it on the Breaking Bad Insider Podcast as well. (I believe it was podcast #509, the first of this "5B" season.) He said they had the idea that the White House was deserted, with the skateboarders in the pool and such, but they needed some reason for Walt to go to the house. So, they decided he would go in and retrieve the poison. Up until that time they had no plans for the poison at all, but once they made it a point for him to retrieve it they knew they would have to figure out something for him to do with it.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #283
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

I swear to God that last week I was going to post that Walt was going to use the Schwartz' to get money to his family. But I didn't post it.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #284
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Is that the same actor from Suits - the english guy that tormented Louis?
Yes, it is. I didn't remember him from Breaking Bad when I saw him in Suits, but I did recognize him when seeing him in last week's episode. He's Adam Godley, who did also play Nigel Nesbitt in Suits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #285
Tracy
Truly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Apologies if this has been discussed before- did anyone know that Michael Bowen (Uncle Jack) was Tommy in the Valley Girl movie from 1983??

Wow- that is seriously blowing my mind.......

Good article on Bowen here: (with a pic from Valley Girl)

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/br...150629521.html
Holy frick! I have seen Valley Girl a bunch of times but never put that together.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #286
Numb And Number2

Quote:
that's not the song in the finale

I know, it was not represented to be. Just a Baby Blue song. TY!
Numb And Number2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #287
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Yes, it is. I didn't remember him from Breaking Bad when I saw him in Suits, but I did recognize him when seeing him in last week's episode. He's Adam Godley, who did also play Nigel Nesbitt in Suits.
That's what it was. I didn't recognize him as being from Breaking Bad when he was Nigel, but those ears tipped me off to it last night.

betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:29 PM   #288
pmyers

Quote:
...Another scene a few shows back was when the 3 nazis threatened Skylar in her house at the baby's crib. the house was surrounded by cops. how did 3 guys sneak in...
Well 2 low level scrubs in 1 car is hardly surrounded
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #289
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
I was not saying it was not spectacular, I am saying it hasn't been discussed here much.
I mentioned it in my initial post after the episode aired.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #290
JETarpon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
And the teacher in the pageant at the end of Love Actually.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #291
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb And Number2 View Post
Why would the Nazi's ego suffer by what Walt thought of his "partnership" with Jessie?
Nazi guy thinks he's an honest man. He's fair and trustworthy. Why else would he have given Walt part of his money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacThor View Post
There was a great line during the scene with G&E (I will have to rewatch) - something about how this was their chance to make it right. My interpretation was that Walt was reminding them how they wronged him, and even set all of this in motion.
And although they didn't admit that they had wronged him, they didn't deny it or act all insulted either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
So...in breaking bad world, does Skyler now get to tell the whole story? Does she get to tell what really happened to hank or does Walt jr go on thinking his dad killed him?
Did she even believe Walt when he said he didn't kill him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
OMG yes. I have the same problem here. In fact I was just sitting here thinking about my family and who to talk to about it and none of them watch it either.
Now that I think about it, I don't really know anyone who watches it either. A lot of my friends are going to start finally, although I've been telling them they should since season 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
My issue with that scene was that there was fresh snow on the car, so wouldn't there be fresh footprints going into the car? Are we to assume that car was in the parking lot of the bar or somewhere else?
If it was still snowing, Walt's footprints would be covered up pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Badfinger was introduced as an Apple (records, Beatles) band when they backed up George Harrison in the Concert for Bangladesh. I always assumed that they got picked up because they sounded like The Beatles: The New Generation.
I wasn't familiar with the song--at first I thought it sounded like Paul McCartney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmo View Post
My main small quibble with this episode? Marie calling Skyler to tell her that Walt is back in town and they are looking everywhere for him. Everywhere, I guess, except his wife's apartment as he is able to wander around outside with no problems while waiting for Flynn to get home from school.
We discussed last week whether Marie and Skyler were on good terms. I assumed not since Marie didn't seem to be helping her financially, and it seems I was right. Poor Marie--you know she wants to get her hands on that baby.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #292
MacThor
Not Pictured

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Nazi guy thinks he's an honest man. He's fair and trustworthy. Why else would he have given Walt part of his money?

Did she even believe Walt when he said he didn't kill him?
Jack always "shook on it" for every deal he made with Walt. Might seem silly for an Aryan Brother but they were consistent about this trait. A deal is a deal.

I think Skylar believed him. My wife yelled out "TRUTH" when he said "I did it for me." Everything he said from that point, she believed.
MacThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #293
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawghows View Post
He talked about it on the Breaking Bad Insider Podcast as well. (I believe it was podcast #509, the first of this "5B" season.) He said they had the idea that the White House was deserted, with the skateboarders in the pool and such, but they needed some reason for Walt to go to the house. So, they decided he would go in and retrieve the poison. Up until that time they had no plans for the poison at all, but once they made it a point for him to retrieve it they knew they would have to figure out something for him to do with it.
Vince definitely mentioned it in the 509 podcast, and I think a couple other times in subsequent podcasts as well. And since the podcast goes through the scenes of each episode chronologically, that discussion should be near the beginning of the 509 podcast.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #294
stellie93

One thing I didn't get--at some point they showed a nicely groomed Jesse making a box out of wood? That was Jesse, wasn't it? I assumed he was day dreaming, but I didn't get the point.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #295
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETarpon View Post
And the teacher in the pageant at the end of Love Actually.
That's where I recognize him from.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #296
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
One thing I didn't get--at some point they showed a nicely groomed Jesse making a box out of wood? That was Jesse, wasn't it? I assumed he was day dreaming, but I didn't get the point.
He was daydreaming while chained on Todd's methlab dogrun. It harkened back to a story he told a few seasons ago (while in rehab?) about his pride in a box he had built in shop class, but that he traded it for some weed.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #297
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Yes. It was. Yes, he was dreaming.

It was a call back to a story he told in a meeting for addicts in recovery.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #298
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
I mentioned it in my initial post after the episode aired.

Either I have you on ignore or one or two posts does not a discussion make
Old 09-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #299
DougF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
I swear to God that last week I was going to post that Walt was going to use the Schwartz' to get money to his family. But I didn't post it.
May da Schwartz be wit ya!
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #300
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Either I have you on ignore or one or two posts does not a discussion make
I did my part!