TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #1
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Doctor Who Marathon on BBCA

In preparing for the new season BBCA is running every episode of (post-reboot) Doctor Who, plus all of the "Doctors Revisited" shows, and a couple of new "specials" pretty much 24 hrs/day until the Saturday premiere.

So if you want to rewatch an episode, or snag one to keep for your "permanent collection" its probably worth looking through the guide.

tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Doctor Who?

scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiassa View Post
In preparing for the new season BBCA is running every episode of (post-reboot) Doctor Who
As far as I could tell, they didn't include the Eccleston season. They started with The Christmas Invasion.

I wonder what that's all about.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
stargazer21

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Doctor Who?
Silence will fall...

Old 09-15-2015, 04:31 AM   #5
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

bbca 4 day non-stop doctor who marathon

thread bump:
Quote:
Starting Wednesday, September 16th, BBC America will be having a Doctor Who takeover as they will be showing 4 days of non-stop Doctor Who! They will be showing Eccleston, Tennant, Smith, Capaldi, and Baker episodes and tons of specials!

(Editor: Wait a second…. You said Baker episodes?!?!)

That’s right! They will be showing various Tom Baker stories throughout the takeover! Don’t believe me? Watch the video and find out more!!
Doctor Who TAKEOVER WEEK - Wednesday Sept 16th on BBCA

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:33 AM   #6
busyba
The Funcooker

I'm less surprised by Baker than I am by Eccleston.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:03 PM   #7
series5orpremier

There are no Tom Baker episodes. They were just referring to Baker's brief cameo in The Day of the Doctor (unless Baker is also in the season 9 premier).

Last edited by series5orpremier; 09-15-2015 at 01:20 PM.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:35 PM   #8
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

a word of warning, i noticed at least one guide error when browsing through the eps in the guide last week, an instance of ep numbers that weren't sequential (ex: 2, 3, 4, 4, 6).

if you're planning to record any of these with a 1pass, you might want to override duplicates.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:10 AM   #9
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by series5orpremier View Post
There are no Tom Baker episodes. They were just referring to Baker's brief cameo in The Day of the Doctor (unless Baker is also in the season 9 premier).

You're wrong! There are many Tom Baker episodes to be shown:

Episodes starting from 1975 and following, that are scheduled to air:

Genesis of the Daleks
The Seeds of Doom
Terror of the Zygons
Pyramids of Mars
The Hand of Fear
The Brain of Morbius
The Robots of Death

... and others have been added since this list was compiled. See the thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=531888

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:37 AM   #10
series5orpremier

Good. The Baker eps don't start until after the four day non-stop event and appear to go on indefinitely on a daily basis. They won't get noticed or recorded unless you set up a new separate OnePass.

series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #11
Church AV Guy

I just noticed something. Maybe I wasn't paying attention earlier when they were showing the history of Doctor Who, and had example adventures for each doctor. The example of TB was Pyramids of Mars. I distinctly remember at least three scenes when Pyramids was originally shown that were not in the version of Pyramids that aired this morning. I only remember them because Pyramids was one of my favorite episodes.

Just when DW figures out that Sutekh an Osiran was the "bad guy" he tells SJS that if they don't stop him, Earth will be destroyed. She says she is from 1980 Earth so it couldn't have been destroyed in 1911. He takes her in the TARDIS to 1980 and the Earth is a barren wasteland, so she agrees that they need to go back and stop him. That scene wasn't shown this morning. There was a short bit where DW is explaining how the Osirans think and how comples their minds were, and lastly there were more tests in the Mars pyramid than the wall with the geometric patterns on it. Those were the few I am aware of.

Were these scenes missing from the history of DW when Pyramids was shown? Maybe I was asleep and just missed their absence? Are all of the Breakfast with Baker episodes cut?

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Old 09-22-2015, 11:55 PM   #12
BluesFools

It looks like there's the usual 36 minutes of commercials in these 2 hour blocks, so 84 minutes of programming.

Each original episode was about 24:30 long, which totals 98 minutes. Allowing for 3 minutes for the opening and closing credits in the middle episodes, that's still 95 minutes, so about 10 minutes per story is gone. I noticed missing sections in Zygons as well.

BluesFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:55 PM   #13
kdmorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
I distinctly remember at least three scenes when Pyramids was originally shown that were not in the version of Pyramids that aired this morning.
They kinda butchered the ending as well.

As a general rule, if it's on BBCA, and it's not a first run, it's going to be at the very least nipped here and there, and frequently mangled.

There unerring ability to cut out important bits of dialog, and completely step on what should be a dramatic buildup, is impressive to say the least.

kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:33 AM   #14
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Are all of the Breakfast with Baker episodes cut?
I can't speak to the Baker episodes; while I saw some Baker episodes, I was not a regular watcher at that time.

However, I can tell you that the new episodes have been pretty badly butchered. I'd be surprised if the Baker episodes haven't been carved up the same way.

God forbid we should miss any of the airings of the half-dozen commercials that they play over and over and over and over and over.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #15
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
However, I can tell you that the new episodes have been pretty badly butchered.
Even on their first airing?

Old 09-26-2015, 01:48 AM   #16
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Even on their first airing?
Sorry, I was unclear. I meant 'new' as in "New Who" (as opposed to "Classic Who". I was referring to episodes from the modern show that I've viewed enough to notice when stuff goes missing.

For example, there were huge chunks ripped out of The Day of the Doctor.

BBCA is probably cutting up the current season episodes, too, but since I don't have special means to watch the UK versions, I can't compare.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:48 AM   #17
osu1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Sorry, I was unclear. I meant 'new' as in "New Who" (as opposed to "Classic Who". I was referring to episodes from the modern show that I've viewed enough to notice when stuff goes missing.

For example, there were huge chunks ripped out of The Day of the Doctor.

BBCA is probably cutting up the current season episodes, too, but since I don't have special means to watch the UK versions, I can't compare.
BBCA doesn't edit the first airing of New Who episodes, just any rebroadcasts, So today's first airing of Series 9 Episode 2 will be identical to the UK airing ,although with commercials, but the repeats will be edited. Today's episode 902 The Witches Family is scheduled for 65mins on the first airing at 8pm central. The replay at 4am is only 60mins

osu1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:47 PM   #18
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu1991 View Post
BBCA doesn't edit the first airing of New Who episodes, just any rebroadcasts, So today's first airing of Series 9 Episode 2 will be identical to the UK airing ,although with commercials, but the repeats will be edited. Today's episode 902 The Witches Family is scheduled for 65mins on the first airing at 8pm central. The replay at 4am is only 60mins
Ok, good. I knew that's how they had been doing it in seasons past; I just wanted to make sure they hadn't changed the policy.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:38 AM   #19
Church AV Guy

The version of The Magician's Apprentice that I recorded from its first showing was rather noticeably longer than the repeat showing just before The Witch's Familiar. By my timing, it was 4:30 shorter! That's a fair amount of program material.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:50 AM   #20
kdmorse

Quote:
The version of The Magician's Apprentice that I recorded from its first showing was rather noticeably longer than the repeat showing just before The Witch's Familiar. By my timing, it was 4:30 shorter! That's a fair amount of program material.
Same is true for the repeat showings of the second episode. The general rule seems to be that if it's not the absolute first run - on BBCA, it's going to be cut...

(And even if it is an absolute first run, they may still screw with it, like they did Dark Water)

Old 09-28-2015, 09:18 AM   #21
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmorse View Post
(And even if it is an absolute first run, they may still screw with it, like they did Dark Water)
What did they do with Dark Water?

Old 09-28-2015, 09:02 PM   #22
kdmorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
What did they do with Dark Water?
They slightly sped up the first 15 minutes or so of it. I didn't personally notice it when it aired, but several folks here complained the motion looked slightly unnatural. And compared to the UK broadcast, it ever so slightly lessened the dramatic tension of some fairly dramatic scenes.

It was slight, but it was noticeable, and it made me grumpy after the fact when I realized we didn't see it exactly as intended. (I'm easily made grumpy by BBCA's alterations)

It's really funny that I find Disney XD's airing of reruns to be less annoying than BBCA's. Disney XD mutes the sound whenever there's an 'inappropriate' comment, and sometime blurs things out. But they don't recut the show, leaving it substantially more true to the original than BBCA's reruns.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:56 PM   #23
busyba
The Funcooker

Yeah, I noticed that the bar for "inappropriate" on Disney XD is comically low.