Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-05-2015, 08:20 AM   #1
cheesesteak
Meh.

H2 soon to be kaput

H2, History’s abomination of a spinoff channel, will be replaced by Vice

I used to like H2 once the History Channel started broadcasting mostly reality shows. Then H2 recently basically became the Ancient Aliens channel and I could only take so much of that.

"I handcuffed lightning and threw thunder in jail." - Muhammed Ali
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:24 AM   #2
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Another interesting niche station succumbing to pop culture. I'm afraid TV is heading toward becoming a vast wasteland again. But I guess money talks.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:52 AM   #3
Alfer

Well I think it's safe to say I will be able to ignore the Vice channel solely based on this bit of info...

Quote:
Vice will fill the channel with a slate of lifestyle programming, and is in talks with Kanye West to make a new series.

Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:37 AM   #4
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
Well I think it's safe to say I will be able to ignore the Vice channel solely based on this bit of info...
I'm not thinking the channel will appeal to the over 40 set. This is totally aimed at the same audience that watches MTV. I've seen a couple of Vice stories on HBO, and it's pretty obvious which audience they are aiming at.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Yeah, the only reason I watched H2 was Modern Marvels, and that's mostly gone into hiatus. I think they've produced exactly one new episode since 2011 (everything else is clip shows/countdowns/reuse of old footage)

kaszeta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #6
goblue97
Welcome Home, Jimmy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
This is totally aimed at the same audience that watches MTV. I've seen a couple of Vice stories on HBO, and it's pretty obvious which audience they are aiming at.
This isn't the same Vice program that is an in depth news/documentary type show, is it? I'm having a hard time relating Kanye West to anything I have seen in an HBO Vice episode.

goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #7
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue97 View Post
This isn't the same Vice program that is an in depth news/documentary type show, is it? I'm having a hard time relating Kanye West to anything I have seen in an HBO Vice episode.
I THINK they are connected, no? The Vice on HBO is a news/feature show, but I'd imagine they'd have to expand to many other things to fill a full channel.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:53 AM   #8
RonDawg
TiVo Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
Yeah, the only reason I watched H2 was Modern Marvels, and that's mostly gone into hiatus. I think they've produced exactly one new episode since 2011 (everything else is clip shows/countdowns/reuse of old footage)
For a long time, H2 was what the History Channel originally was, before A&E's idea of "history" morphed into the antics of a bunch of guys at a Vegas pawn shop.

Maybe history junkies need an H3 channel.

RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:13 AM   #9
tenthplanet

So is Vice's potential audience even using cable/ satellite, that might be there real problem. I give the the vice channel 5 yrs( maybe less) as they say 'I don't smell money"

Old 05-06-2015, 08:52 AM   #10
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
So is Vice's potential audience even using cable/ satellite, that might be there real problem. I give the the vice channel 5 yrs( maybe less) as they say 'I don't smell money"
Actually I see the opposite. If, as advertisers and networks claim, the most lucrative demo is 18-34 year old males, then that's Vice's wheelhouse and they WON'T have a problem Now, if this changes (and it might considering how large the baby boomer generation has gotten and the fact that they aren't like their parents, as set in their ways and more willing to try new stuff, and don't have the brand loyalties the same way), then they could be in trouble, but as of right now their target audience is right in the sweet spot advertisers want to sell to.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:17 AM   #11
cheesesteak
Meh.

It looks like Vice programming has replaced H2 even though my guide data still labels the channel H2. Vice.com is on my list of websites I check out every morning even though I'm not interested in about 80% of the articles. Based on what I see in the nightly programming blocks titles and descriptions for that channel, I won't be tuning in very often.

"I handcuffed lightning and threw thunder in jail." - Muhammed Ali
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:23 AM   #12
Chuck_IV

As I mentioned in the Main Tivo forums, A&E is (IMO) overly obsessed with the 18-49 age group and thus is focusing completely on them and throwing out everything else with the exception of The First 48.

From bits I have seen, their ratings have been suffering and thus why you are seeing so much new programming. Throw a bunch of cr@p at the wall and see what sticks.

Charter Cable
Chuck_IV is offline   Reply With Quote