TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #1
Cainebj

The Player "Pilot" 9/24/15

Spending this weekend watching new shows and Season Premieres.

Just read the forecast on the fall season thread that this one was gonna be bad.

One of the things that I love about the new fall season is attempting to know nothing about the shows and going in with an open mind.

All I saw was this was set in Las Vegas and I assumed I would be out in 5 minutes.

That wasn't the case, I kindof liked it. Yes, it's ridiculous. But it reminds me of a cross between James Bond and The Transporter movies.

Philip Winchester was likeable (and running through the streets of Vegas in his boxer shorts?) smoking hot. I was assuming he had to be British or something but born in Montana he's a good ole American actor.

Liked the character of Cassandra and then of course we got Wesley Snipes - since when is Snipes so camp?

LOVED the moment when the diplomat's wife (or whatever she was) knifed her security guy in the hand.

The only thing I didn't get was the tattoo on the ring finger near the end. Not sure if they are suggesting the bodies were switched or what.

I'm in, so sure it will be cancelled.

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
The only thing I didn't get was the tattoo on the ring finger near the end. Not sure if they are suggesting the bodies were switched or what.
Exactly that. It's not his wife's body.

What that means...confuses me, since he saw her dead.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:13 PM   #3
Amnesia
The Question

No, he saw her apparently dead. Presumably she's not really dead (or else why would they need to switch the bodies).

But that plus the fact that the "House" seems to have been friends with the wife suggests that it was the game-runners who orchestrated the wife's apparent death in order to get the Player into the game...

But wouldn't that mean that they were in league with the baddie who kidnapped the girl?

Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:48 PM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
No, he saw her apparently dead. Presumably she's not really dead (or else why would they need to switch the bodies).
Complicated a bit by the fact that he's the kind of guy who knows how to tell if somebody's dead.

Not saying that means she's dead; just that they have a little extra 'splaining to do.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:27 PM   #5
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I didn't think I'd like it. I was wrong. We'll see where it goes form here.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #6
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Complicated a bit by the fact that he's the kind of guy who knows how to tell if somebody's dead.

Not saying that means she's dead; just that they have a little extra 'splaining to do.
Bullet wound to the heart; blood not gushing out. She ded. Or at least whose ever body that was, is toast.

Also, eyes open and staring; in TV universe that means really dead, just like explosion and no shot including dead body means alive.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:11 PM   #7
connie_w

Interesting story line. I'll continue to watch.

connie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:08 AM   #8
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
Bullet wound to the heart; blood not gushing out. She died. Or at least whose ever body that was, is toast.
Yes, it's possible that the body that he stumbled across in the bedroom was the double's...

Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:07 AM   #9
caslu

I did not expect to like it but I liked Wesley Snipes back in his pre-tax fraud days so I decided to check it out and surprise... I liked it, in a check your brain at the door sort of way.

I'd describe it as a sort of Person of Interest series, but less intelligent and more flashy.

caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #10
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
Yes, it's possible that the body that he stumbled across in the bedroom was the double's...
That's what I thought. He didn't see her get killed, after all, he just heard commotion and a shot, then found her later. To me that screams "funny business" in TV land. Pretty impressive to be able to pull it off, though: the double would have to be pretty freshly dead herself to make the switch believable.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:04 PM   #11
mattack

I think I cancelled the SP already. This is one I'd probably keep if I had a lot more disk space.. to watch 'whenever'.

Seemed vaguely similar to other recent shows where the guy got all of the info about the bad guys from computers.. (and no, I don't mean Person of Interest, nor Minority Report.. I'm thinking more like "Intelligence", which I liked more than this.)

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #12
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I'm surprised to see everyone like this. I deleted the show off my DVR in less than 10 minutes. After the guy came swinging through the window to save the guy from the assassin. Maybe I'll have to give it a second chance.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:39 AM   #13
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I'm surprised to see everyone like this. I deleted the show off my DVR in less than 10 minutes. After the guy came swinging through the window to save the guy from the assassin. Maybe I'll have to give it a second chance.
i dumped it 10 minutes in, too, but based on reviews in this thread i gave it a second chance. couldn't take much more, so it's gone again, permanently. enjoy, folks.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote