TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
slate

tivo remote slider pro

Hello,
I could get away with just using my tivo remote if it only had a way to turn my receiver's power on and off. I need to control both my tv and my receiver's power with the one remote. The new tivo slider pro product features blurb uses "and/or" when it talks about receiver power and tv power, but from looking at the buttons it doesn't seem possible that this remote can do what I want. Am I missing something?
Thank you!
-Ben
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

It can program all tivo remotes do both the tv and reciever power, both with one power button press...

googled it, one of many results: (from http://blog.tivo.com/2010/08/guest-p.../#.UtL5zfQ7f0c )

"People also seemed to be confused about what the remote controls can do. Start with Messages & Settings -> Settings -> Remote, CableCARD, & Devices -> Remote Control. The TiVo remote can control the power on BOTH your TV and receiver. Program the TV power like normal, then do the procedure again – only this time enter the IR code number for your receiver (maybe it’s receiver first than TV, but the point is it can do both). One press sends both signals. I’ve been using this feature for many years now, it is very convenient. Also, the TiVo Series3, Glo, TiVo HD XL, and Premiere XL remotes are all learning remotes – so even if it doesn’t have the IR code you need, several buttons can be programmed by ‘learning’ from your existing remote"
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
Edmund
Remote Czar

To get it programmed the way you want, you have to do three steps in the order I list:

1. press and hold TV POWER & TIVO, enter the TV code
2. press and hold MUTE & TIVO, enter av receiver code
3. press and hold TV POWER & TIVO, enter the av receiver code again.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
slate

Doesn't work for me. I have a Panasonic TV and a Yamaha receiver. I had the Panasonic code programmed in. Then I went through the process with the Yamaha codes, and the result was no control over either device. Maybe it would work if Yamaha made TV's.

So back to my original question...
Old 01-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
slate

Oh, I'm sorry I misunderstood some of the instructions. It works, I had not idea I could expect a feature like this. I wish Tivo put these instructions right in the settings page
Old 01-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #6
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I had no idea you could do that, thanks.

Although, in one room, I have a soundbar which has no working tivo codes. I bought a Glo remote so I could learn the volume/mute codes, but I don't know if I can get this "double power" thing to work if I have to learn the soundbar power code.
todd_j_derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:05 AM   #7
HF444

Why get a slider remote

For those who have purchased the slider remote:

How are you using the keyboard ?
How often are you using the keyboard?

Do you now feel that it was a good use of the $ 50 ?
And why ?

Thanks.
HF444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:11 PM   #8
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Ive only had mine since Xmas, but I'm definetly liking the search button... with the new winter shows that have been starting up, it made things quick to find and add

I tried the kb in one of the new apps in the opera App Store (a weather one maybe?) and it didn't work

I like the smaller size... I don't have small hands, but still less "stretching" to reach things... still getting used to the small differences in the layout
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote