TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #1
chuckcheeze

Tivo Premiere flickers...replaced hard drive...still flickers

hi, my tivo premiere starting to flicker every 10-30 seconds randomly. it started last week after the Summer Update and lightening storm. not sure if this has anything to do with the flickering.

the flickering is happening in tivo menus, live tv and recorded programs.

i copied the hard drive ddrescue. booted up, kickstart 57, everything looked good for an hour and then the flicker came back. plugged the old hard drive and same thing...good for an hour, then the flickering came back.

kickstarted 54 this morning with new drive before work (ETA 473 minutes), should be done when i get home. i am thinking 54 will not identify any issue.

any suggestions what to look for next?
chuckcheeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
squint

Are you using HDMI? Sometimes the ports or cables go bad.

A failing power supply could be an issue but it's rare in Premieres.

Something could be overheating. I have a Series 3 with audio glitches that occur once it warms up. If I open the case and direct a fan at the motherboard, the glitches go away once the temperature has dropped.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Have you hooked it up to a different display?

Have you utilized a different connection type?

I definitely would have tried these before replacing a drive!
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
evanborkow

Have you determined that it's not the TV?
evanborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
tyd450

it sounds like a video connection issue
tyd450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
tyd450

like evan said it could be an issue with your tv too- I would probably try a few different cables (different hdmi, component, etc) to see if that is it and I would also try different ports on the TV.
tyd450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #7
Fielding

Had the same issue - went away with a different cable
Fielding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:43 PM   #8
g60roddo

I'm having exactly what you describe with my Roamio, only it is much more frequent than that. It is random, but i would say on average every 3-5 seconds. Some of the "flickers" are so bad that my TV pops the screen for a split second that indicates theres no signal on the input selected. I have tried a second HDMI cable. I do not think it is the TV, since the TV works perfectly fine with both the PS3 and built in programs (e.g. amazon).
The other symptom for me is even for the few seconds in between flickers, tiny random specs on the screen are flashing here and there for just fractions of a second... kind of like what you may see at a non-digital movie theater. Also here and there random horizontal lines can also be seen appearing very rapidly... easiest to see if the image is static.

Interesting that you mention lightning storm... we had one tonight but the power didnt even flicker and the tivo is on a surge protector to boot. I just bought this thing (my first tivo) in november and bought the lifetime service. If i'm out $600 I'm going to be seriously PO'ed.
g60roddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:56 AM   #9
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

As in the other threads where the OP has posted, nobody seems to notice the statement about the problem originating when lightning was involved.

It seems silly to be image begging, and going through all the usual motions, like as if there's no extenuating circumstances.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:11 AM   #10
squint

chuckcheeze, was your residence actually struck by lightning or did you just observe a bunch of lightning outside?
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:45 AM   #11
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

One would think it is generally safe to assume that a direct strike would be reported as such. I just noticed the lightning factor stated in other posts from the OP, and noticed a lack of any questions, at all, about specifics of the lightning factor...

Even the guy, who recently had nearly every device in his house lightning damaged "by a lightning strike", never did say where it struck. I gave up trying to get him to say where it struck, or to just say he didn't know.

A strike could hit anywhere in a large radius, and take whatever path it wants to, without somebody in the affected path actually seeing/witnessing a direct strike (or knowing one happened).

It just seems like if it is worth the OP bringing up, it may be worth being taken into consideration.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:15 AM   #12
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Even the guy, who recently had nearly every device in his house lightning damaged "by a lightning strike", never did say where it struck. I gave up trying to get him to say where it struck, or to just say he didn't know.
I'm not that guy, but I can say from unfortunate experience that when your house takes a direct hit you won't have any doubts. My ears were still ringing several minutes later. The fire made it hard to say exactly where it struck beyond "somewhere in that section of missing roof".
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:52 AM   #13
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I'm not that guy, but I can say from unfortunate experience that when your house takes a direct hit you won't have any doubts. My ears were still ringing several minutes later. The fire made it hard to say exactly where it struck beyond "somewhere in that section of missing roof".
Well, at least one of TCF's prized-assets in the DIY arena, wasn't seriously hurt. When did this happen?

This other-other guy still had his home wiring intact (without grounding, due to age of home), and was trying to repair the power supplies in all the electronics the insurance paid for replacement of. When he said the cableco had to replace all the splitters, but everything in his computer, except the mainboard, survived, I started to wonder if it hit something cable-related (or adjacent) nearby, and if the electrical utility lines might have been the path out, as opposed to just assuming the other way-around. His thread went dark, after he blabbed he was going to sell what he could repair. Maybe lightning did strike twice, and got him, before he could put damaged goods on the market... He started off in your thread, asking for an image, then started a thread and shared everything, except where the strike hit. But, he did give his word that he'd give full-disclosure when he sold the goods.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #14
ggieseke

May '07.

The good news is that it happened about 3:30am and I had to run downtown in a few hours anyway, so I didn't go back to sleep. The sad part is that I didn't know the house was on fire for almost an hour. Early intervention with my kitchen fire extinguisher would have saved Sate Farm about $150K, and saved me 4 months of hell rebuilding.

Lesson learned. Now I have a smoke detector IN the attic.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #15
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
May '07.

The good news is that it happened about 3:30am and I had to run downtown in a few hours anyway, so I didn't go back to sleep. The sad part is that I didn't know the house was on fire for almost an hour. Early intervention with my kitchen fire extinguisher would have saved Sate Farm about $150K, and saved me 4 months of hell rebuilding.

Lesson learned. Now I have a smoke detector IN the attic.
A lucky break indeed, combined with all the bad. As I always say, no matter how bad things are, they can always be worse.

I'm curious what kind of detector you put in the attic. Is it a just the standard round disc type, or one that sends the signal to a remote unit, or second part of it downstairs? I'd imagine it must be AC powered, with battery (or supercapacitor) backup, like the ones in my house, that are up high with vaulted ceilings, where access requires a long ladder...

Nothing I'm aware of would survive here. When it's 116 degrees outside, the attic gets hotter than outside temp, like 160 degrees, before I installed a gable fan. I have clay tiles that act like solar baking stones have their bonuses and drawbacks. I guess I'd either need a special one, or I'd have to mount it on the top side of the ceiling drywall in the non-vaulted areas...

Any damage to electronics that was all about the lightning, and not the heat/fire/water? If so, were you able to determine the path it took to find ground?
Old 07-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #16
unitron

Lightning doesn't have to hit something to damage it, because as the lightning bolt is traveling between the sky and the ground or between the ground and the sky, it's dragging a magnetic field with it, and as a moving magnetic field moves past and through something that conducts electricity it induces electricity in that something.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:04 PM   #17
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Lightning doesn't have to hit something to damage it, because as the lightning bolt is traveling between the sky and the ground or between the ground and the sky, it's dragging a magnetic field with it, and as a moving magnetic field moves past and through something that conducts electricity it induces electricity in that something.
Yes, unitron, the wikimaster...

This is why I always ask for details when somebody reports TiVo problems that began "at the time of a storm with lightning", or "after a lightning strike", rather than going straight to helping them get a drive image, recommend a replacement drive, and teach Power Supply Repair 101 (my syllabus doesn't call every single capacitor that fails, even after 7-10 years of operation, a victim, or case, of "capacitor plague", though). Besides the time involved, and the cost of parts, there's always a chance the tuners could be toast, or damaged. This is especially true when the only path back to ground, other than neutral, is the coax cable ground/shield. Never mind, the amount of damage that can't be seen, in components that still work, but just lost an unknown amount of their lifetimes.

Lightning that strikes a corn field could cause issues in a radius, or a pattern around it, as well. It doesn't even have to hit anything. There are two recent lightning-related threads running. The other one specifically said "lightning strike", and started to go off the rails when you redefined AC neutral, as how you see it.

Heck, cosmic rays can corrupt bits in memory, if you read wikipedia. There are some pages there I pray you never find.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:51 AM   #18
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I'm curious what kind of detector you put in the attic. Is it a just the standard round disc type, or one that sends the signal to a remote unit, or second part of it downstairs? I'd imagine it must be AC powered, with battery (or supercapacitor) backup, like the ones in my house, that are up high with vaulted ceilings, where access requires a long ladder...

Any damage to electronics that was all about the lightning, and not the heat/fire/water? If so, were you able to determine the path it took to find ground?
It's just a standard ionization detector. It's powered by & tied into the house alarm system, but a $20 version from Home Depot and a 9V battery twice a year would work fine. Houston summers are pretty brutal too, but it's doing fine so far.

Some voltage got into the phone lines. The DSL modem and the phone got fried. It also spiked into the electrical and blew the hell out several wall warts. I don't know if the phone wiring or the AC took out the security alarm.

My best guess would be that most of it went to ground through the copper water pipes but it's impossible to be sure. Electricity's weird.