TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
True Colors

Can the Tivo Premiere be expanded to 3TB?

The Tivo Roamio that just came out can be expanded to 3 terabytes.

The Premiere and the Roamio run similar firmware.

Sooooooo will it now be possible to expand our premieres all the way up to 3 TB?

I know that this is a shot in the dark. Just hoping.

What do you think?

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

No
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
MeInDallas

I heard something in the Premiere software would have to be changed to do that, and I really dont think Tivo would spend the money or go to the trouble to do it, when they can just say "Buy a newer model and you can get more storage" and make more money.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
I heard something in the Premiere software would have to be changed to do that, and I really dont think Tivo would spend the money or go to the trouble to do it, when they can just say "Buy a newer model and you can get more storage" and make more money.
The change would be between very difficult and downright impossible. Even in the Roamio line they moved the OS to flash and changed to a data only drive.

In order to do this, they would need to completely reformat your existing drive and reinstall of of the sofware.

Can it be done... Maybe, but the only way to do it would be by sending you a brand new non NTFS formatted drive with the software pre-installed. And that is assuming that they wouldn't encounter some pretty major obstacles even with that strategy - thus the Roamio design

TiVo can take a lot of flack for a lot of things, but not supporting an upgrade to 3TB on the Premier line has nothing to do with their desire to "Make Money"
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
TiVo can take a lot of flack for a lot of things, but not supporting an upgrade to 3TB on the Premier line has nothing to do with their desire to "Make Money"
Totally beg to differ on that one.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
jmbach

3TB Premiere XL

I just upgraded my 748 Premiere XL to a 3TB drive.

Just did it today with a little insight from ggieseke who proved that an XL can boot a 3TB drive. Will post the procedure after I talk to him if anybody is interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3TB.jpg (126.1 KB, 127 views)
Old 12-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
I just upgraded my 748 Premiere XL to a 3TB drive.

Just did it today with a little insight from ggieseke who proved that an XL can boot a 3TB drive. Will post the procedure after I talk to him if anybody is interested.
You have more hours (stated) than my 3Tb Roamio+

Old 12-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
lpwcomp

It looks to me like the TiVo is confused. The available (480HD/4215SD) exceeds the capacity (479HD/4195SD).

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
jmbach

It was initially. The picture was immediately after boot. Went back out of the screen then back in and it was 479/478
Old 12-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
ggieseke

What's an hour or two among friends when it's all a WAG anyway? It's still the first known 3TB Premiere, and that's a big accomplishment.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
It was initially. The picture was immediately after boot. Went back out of the screen then back in and it was 479/478
I see this ROUTINELY with 2TB upgrades, done with any means, including JMFS and a DVR_DUDE pre-imaged drive, immediately after a doing C&DE.

It goes away once all the Guide Data has been downloaded via a TiVo Service connection, and the Guide Data has been processed.

The question I always ask, in my own mind, is: Why should this space anomaly even exhibit, since the Guide Data and recording space SHOULD BE in two completely separate drive areas? How should/could one even effect the other, if the expansion of storage capacity is done in the CORRECT manner?

I've never posted about it before now, and this is the first time I've seen anybody else post about anything even remotely similar, even though I can replicate it 100% of the time.

Perhaps it has something to do with the supersize portion of it all?
Old 12-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #12
allenfr

Arrow Tivo Premiere Hard drive upgrade

Just did it today with a little insight from ggieseke who proved that an XL can boot a 3TB drive. Will post the procedure after I talk to him if anybody is interested.[/quote]

I am interested in how it was done.Maybe we also could use a 4TB hard drive. I have done a upgrade using a 2TB and using JMFS to do it.
Allenfr
allenfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
jmbach

Here is the post where I described it. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=512153 Working on a 4TB procedure but it is much more involved.