TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #61
aaronwt
HD Addict

I never use any of the HDMI cables that come with these devices., I'm glad they didn't stick one in there. I have a box with dozens of HDMI cables that came with my devices. I only use HDMI cables from Monoprice.

As far as it asking you about a couple of channels during setup, how esle is it going to verify it has the right info? In my area there are several cable companies, and during that setup that when it checks a couple of channels, you know you have the right lineup that way.

As far as updates, when I get a new device I expect it to update right away. If a device does not update during the first boot, I am suspect about it because if they are doing their job right, there should be an update with all the recent changes/additions/bug fixes. I would rather the device update right away, then work with some possible issues only to update at some point later to correct them.

The Serial Number is also in the sys info screen. I don't think I've ever looked at the back of the TiVo to get the serial number. I've either looked at the box or looked at the sys info screen. But either way, have the info in small lettering on the device is the norm anyway. It is nothing unusual and a person with good eyesight has no problem reading. But I know I have problems reading the small lettering in dim light which is why I try to avoid those situations as much as possible.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #62
GBTheater
Tivo user since 2000

No big deal

I agree with everyone else.
It's not as bad as you lay it out to be.
I do want to comment on the Rasberry pie method though. I could list off the hundreds of features that you would not have available on your raspberry pie, with the biggest being the lack of ability to record anything from the cable company, since everything is encoded/encrypted and only works with a cable card, which almost no TV has anymore.
My favorite thing about Tivo; MOCA. MOCA absolutely rocks and having the injector built into Tivo just makes things that much easier. Yes, it takes a little understanding, but I now have a very high speed network throughout my entire house without running any CAT5. 270Mbps. fantastic job that Tivo did getting this integrated into their boxes. It's a must have unless your entire house is wired for CAT5.
GBTheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #63
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I know this is a little off topic, but discussing the small serial number on the back just gave me a little chuckle. I am closing in on 50 real quickly and as happens my near vision has started to fade a little. I can't see those little screws or read those little numbers any longer.

My wife went out and got me a pair of reading glassess with LED lights for my many little projects. I LOVE THEM!

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote