TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #31
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
People still use discs?
Unless you're talking about stolen bd rips, blu ray is the highest quality programming available* and the bigger/better your display the easier it is to see. And yes that includes Vudu HDX and Netflix superhd. There are scores of comparisons on AVS of bd, HDX, iTunes, and Netflix. They take extreme close ups at matched pauses and the differences are very noticeable.

For those interested in the highest quality, yes, we still use discs.

*I'm not counting 4K YouTube videos as there is nothing there quite yet in terms of mass media content
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #32
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Unless you're talking about stolen bd rips, blu ray is the highest quality programming available*
Amazon download of 1080p content isn't the highest quality?

Quote:
They take extreme close ups at matched pauses and the differences are very noticeable.
Good thing I watch my shows, not pause and take extreme close ups!
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #33
rainwater

Quote:
No. It outputs at 1080p but it is certainly compressed way more than a Blu-ray.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #34
moyekj

Quote:
6 Mbps bit rate max for Netflix Super HD streams vs 40-50 Mbps for BD makes quite a difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #35
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't really see that much difference, but I still own some BDs and need a way to play them. Plus BDs are still cheaper for getting entire seasons of TV shows not available on Netflix. You can usually buy the entire season on BD a lot cheaper then the $2.99/episode they charge on services like Amazon or VUDU.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #36
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

I had (still have) a Pioneer S2 TiVo with built in DVD. (it can actually burn DVDs of shows, but never really used that much) The best parts about using it for DVDs were...

1) Not having to switch inputs on the TV or A/V receiver.

2) Being able to use 8 second instant replay while watching DVDs.

I too have a Harmony remote. But with a bit more consolidation I could actually get rid of it and use the TiVo remote for everything.
Yeah I had the Toshiba version with the DVD drive. It was pretty cool and I did burn a few things over to a DVD that I wanted to archive. It would be pretty cool with a bluray writer integrated.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #37
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Yeah I had the Toshiba version with the DVD drive. It was pretty cool and I did burn a few things over to a DVD that I wanted to archive. It would be pretty cool with a bluray writer integrated.
The biggest problem with a BD writer is that the encoding formats commonly used for HD broadcasts are not always compatible with the BD specification. Back in the old S2 days everything was being transcoded on the fly so they could guarantee compatibility with the DVD spec. But with these new TiVos everything recorded as-is so they'd be depending on the broadcasters to transmit BD compatible encodes, which couldn't be guaranteed.

Although I wonder if they could use the transcoder chip in the Stream hardware to transcode to a complaint format? Actually the main Broadcom chip they use in the Plus/Pro has built in H.264 transcoding, so maybe they could use that instead and leave the Stream part alone.

Alright TiVo we gave you the idea just let us know when you need some beta testers.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #38
backspaces

Totally agreed. My first TiVo was a Toshiba and I constantly gave friends DVDs of nifty shows .. back in the day when they weren't available on NetFlix, Amazon, etc.

I'm going to disconnect our DVD player and not tell the wife! .. and hook up a Google TV adapter!

-- Owen
backspaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #39
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'm trying to convince my wife to let me disconnect the Pioneer TiVo. She doesn't really use it for TV anymore, but she says she still uses it for DVDs. We have a PS3 for DVDs and BDs, but she says she can't figure out how to use it. I'm getting an XBox One next month that will be replacing the PS3 for BD duty. Maybe it'll be easy enough for her to use.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #40
backspaces

OK, as much as I *really* appreciate the chat, I gotta 'nother question:

How am I going to transfer my S3 HD shows to the Roamio?

I've seen these two threads:
Moving shows from an old TiVo to a new one? http://goo.gl/sf2eQw
Transfering shows to Roamio Pro from HD http://goo.gl/tf7FcN

But I've got around 1TB to transfer. Is it certain I can just use a cross-over cable and it "just works"? There have been pluses and minuses for each technique.

I wish I understood why TiVo doesn't have a "Migration Assistant". Sigh.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #41
Dan203
Super Moderator

Just hook both to your network. If you don't have a network then you can use a crossover cable and assign both a static IP and that should work.

The actual process of scheduling all the shows to transfer is a huge PITA. Lots, and lots, of button presses. Plus the S3 units are really slow to transfer so it's going to take a couple days for everything to finish. But once it's done, it's done, and you don't have to worry about it again for at least a few years.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #42
moyekj

The other more automated option is you can transfer all shows to PC then use pyTivo on demand to watch them on your Roamio.
For transfers to PC you can queue up all shows to transfer with just a few clicks (in either pyTivo or kmttg).

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:02 AM   #43
sterfry

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
And

8) External power supply
9) Cheapy plastic case
10) Sub-standard size that doesn't fit well with other units
11) Cable card on bottom
And

12) OTA tuners

If you watch over the air programming the Roamio basic is the only choice.
sterfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #44
anthonymoody

Quote:

Good thing I watch my shows, not pause and take extreme close ups!
Lulz.

Trust me, on a 75" set the difference is extremely obvious and it isn't particularly close. The point of the stills and close ups is to analyze the degree of difference, which is large, and to understand the composition of the picture for insight into how delivery bandwidth, as distinct from overly simple things like "resolution" impacts picture quality.

If you're happy with your amazon downloads, wonderful. But please don't mistake what you're watching for the highest picture quality available, or assume that others need be satisfied with it.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #45
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Lulz.

Trust me, on a 75" set the difference is extremely obvious and it isn't particularly close. The point of the stills and close ups is to analyze the degree of difference, which is large, and to understand the composition of the picture for insight into how delivery bandwidth, as distinct from overly simple things like "resolution" impacts picture quality.

If you're happy with your amazon downloads, wonderful. But please don't mistake what you're watching for the highest picture quality available, or assume that others need be satisfied with it.
The difference is also very obvious on my 46" set I use at my secondary viewing location.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #46
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

I love all the post but I just want my guide button back where it was. Oh yes and built MoCa for the MiNi
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #47
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealone View Post
I love all the post but I just want my guide button back where it was. Oh yes and built MoCa for the MiNi
What model Mini do you have ??, my Mini has built in MoCA, or do you mean bridge MoCA + Ethernet ?

Old 10-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #48
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealone View Post
I think the new location for the guide button makes more sense because it is more prominent. But since I use three Slide remotes I need consistency between all my remotes. So I don't typically use the Roamio remote because I will hit the wrong button for the guide.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #49
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
...I need consistency between all my remotes.
I agree, and I do not like that my brand new Mini and my brand new Roamio have different remote layouts.

They just added the Roamio remote to the accessory store, I may get one and just use it in IR mode for my Mini.

FIRST WORLD ISSUES!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 10-03-2013 at 11:39 AM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #50
backspaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterfry View Post
And

12) OTA tuners

If you watch over the air programming the Roamio basic is the only choice.
Boy, I like the list! I have to admit that the OTA feature being missing on the Plus and Pro was a surprise. In my wilder moments, dreaming of cutting the cable, I would love to have the OTA option. I'm not clear as to why OTA wouldn't be on all devices, are you? I know it'd take a separate tuner, but..

Cutting the cable is a popular conversation now. Why, for example, isn't there a complete, internet accessable archive of all the shows covering the last month, say. Xfinity/Comcast could easily do so, or simply a new company (HuLu) that provides that service?

The internet/TV convergence is clearly a Roamio target/response.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #51
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by backspaces View Post
Boy, I like the list! I have to admit that the OTA feature being missing on the Plus and Pro was a surprise. In my wilder moments, dreaming of cutting the cable, I would love to have the OTA option. I'm not clear as to why OTA wouldn't be on all devices, are you? I know it'd take a separate tuner, but..

Cutting the cable is a popular conversation now. Why, for example, isn't there a complete, internet accessable archive of all the shows covering the last month, say. Xfinity/Comcast could easily do so, or simply a new company (HuLu) that provides that service?

The internet/TV convergence is clearly a Roamio target/response.
Actually it is quite clear. No one makes a 6 tuner OTA chip. Done.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #52
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
What model Mini do you have ??, my Mini has built in MoCA, or do you mean bridge MoCA + Ethernet ?
Oop's I ment bridge + Ethernet

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I think the new location for the guide button makes more sense because it is more prominent. But since I use three Slide remotes I need consistency between all my remotes. So I don't typically use the Roamio remote because I will hit the wrong button for the guide.
I have a slide in one room a glo in another room and my roamio remote in another. I agree with it being more prominent and just plain bigger I do like it. I'm just saying can we keep it in the same place it's been for the ten years I have been using a TiVo remotes... I'm just kidding it's more a me thing then a TiVo thing. I love the direction that TiVo is going
Old 10-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #53
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I agree, and I do not like that my brand new Mini and my brand new Roamio have different remote layouts.

They just added the Roamio remote to the accessory store, I may get one and just use it in IR mode for my Mini.

FIRST WORLD ISSUES!
I need a learning remote in my other rooms and for now the glo and slide are all the work for me. So I will wait for the new learning slide remote to come I hope before the holiday shopping time..
Old 10-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #54
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
Actually it is quite clear. No one makes a 6 tuner OTA chip. Done.
+1.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #55
backspaces

Just got my Roamio and had several annoyances:

- No HDMI cable!
When I opened the Roamio box, I was surprised that there was no HDMI cable! WTF? Why? On a $600 device, no video cable? Unbelievable.

- Tiny serial numbers, MACs etc (2 labels) on back of roamio
When I beamed into TiVo to register, it needed my serial number. I'd have thought it would be in the box! But no, it was on one of two tiny labels in the back .. which is hard to get to. Solution? Take a iPhone pix and send it to my self! Really? No serial number in the docs? Comcast's m-card receipt had one even.

- Required knowing channel info, had to switch between tivos
While setting up metadata for my locale, it asked whether XXX was on channel YYYY. I don't know about you, but one of the points of TiVo is to not NEED that sort of info. Luckily I'm doing what most of us do, have the old TiVo and the new both live. So changing the input and messing around with channel finally satisfied TiVo. Couldn't it just look at my existing TiVo account to figure this out?

- Required s/w update w/ two reboots!
This is a brand new TiVo and it still needs long, drawn out downloads and two reboots? Really?

It seem to take FOR EVER for the TiVo registration to complete. Why? Is it registering me with NSA? Or the Cable Mafia? 7 Hours and counting.

I love so much of the TiVo experience, especially this new version. But I'm not sure many people have the know-how to hook up a splitter to have both the old and new devices available during the setup. Or figure out what MoCA is and how to hook hardware ethernet up when the router is in the next room (luckily I'm using ethernet over power line). I'd heard folks talking about the Migration Nightmare but I had no idea it was this bad. And I haven't even started moving the media and metadata from the old to the new.

I could'a whittled you a better user experience than this! I'm not sure TiVo will survive the new kids on the block like Google's Chromecast or Raspberry PI (both around $35). Yes I know they're geeky and your basic customer can't do anything interesting with them, but a friend recently used a Raspberry PI to build a complete media system! And apparently (according to Comcast) some TVs come with cablecard slots. And no DVR needed.

Don't wanna be down on TiVo and yes I know this happens once every several years, but gawd help the technically challenged! I wonder if Best Buy will do what Apple does: bring in your computer an we'll do a Migration for you!

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #56
innocentfreak

Just a FYI, the serial number is on the box. It is on the white barcode.

Also they stopped making CableCARD TVs shortly after CableCARDs came out.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:26 AM   #57
gigaguy

I like the adjustable buffer (30, 60, or 90 min) on my Sony DHG dvr. 30 min on the Tivo seems small. If Sony could offer that 8 years ago, why not Tivo today? Longer buffer gave me more options to watch or record hour long programs or movies. also user created (and nameable) index marks is a killer feature the Sony had. not to mention the better playback features on the Sony. I still use the Sony for manual recordings, now using TiVo too, I'm even more impressed with the Sony's features and design. I expected more in these areas from TiVo.
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:01 AM   #58
DeltaOne
Mount Airy, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by backspaces View Post
The serial number was on the box, as the OP mentioned. I didn't see it at first, and read the tiny label on the Roamio. Then found it on the box later. Oops.

I was put off by having to answer the channel info too. This is my first TiVo, but it still caught me by surprise.

The software update makes sense. At some point they have to freeze the OS so they can begin manufacturing the hardware. The software engineers don't stop working -- they continue to fix bugs and add new features. Apple released an update to iOS 7 just a few days after iOS 7 was released. And now they say another update will be out soon.

The long registration is hard to understand. You'd think this process would be automated -- but maybe it requires a human hand?
DeltaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #59
takeagabu

- No HDMI cable!
Yes, this sucks

As everyone said, it's on the box.

It is just trying to narrow down what lineup you actually have. The channel is supposed to show up in the background making it really easy.

I think it has to do with the fact that it is formatting the tivo harddrive. This makes the setup process a little longer, but makes it really easy to upgrade or replace your hard drive.

Go to the network settings and force a connection. This always expedites things that require communicating with the tivo servers.
takeagabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #60
uw69

No HDMI cable is a small thing, but it is really a head scratcher. I mean even the $100 Mini comes with an HDMI cable. Fortunately most of us on the forum probably have several HDMI cables laying around.
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote