TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
backspaces

Hardware refresh likely?

A sorta "tivo culture" question: Is it likely that tivo will slightly modify their hardware if they see issues/features they'd like to fix/add and can't do with the current hardware?

I suspect not, but thought I'd ask before I get my Roamio pro. I can likely last a few month more with my failing HD series 3 which is getting glitches (random reboots) so would do so if there is any chance of a HW mod.

Thanks!

-- Owen
backspaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Originally Posted by backspaces View Post
A sorta "tivo culture" question: Is it likely that tivo will slightly modify their hardware if they see issues/features they'd like to fix/add and can't do with the current hardware?

I suspect not, but thought I'd ask before I get my Roamio pro. I can likely last a few month more with my failing HD series 3 which is getting glitches (random reboots) so would do so if there is any chance of a HW mod.

Thanks!

-- Owen
I would say we are seeing the best of the best right now.....Like all devices a refresh will be in the works but not anytime soon.
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
NJguy

As with most products the hardware is generally fine when released and it's really all about getting the software right. Once you take it out of Beta people think it should work properly....and logically it should but there are always tweaks to make it better. Probably why Google never takes anything out of Beta.
NJguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Is it likely that tivo will slightly modify their hardware
No
Old 09-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I'd say it depends on when TiVo is planning to start working on the next generation of DVRs.
That probably won't be for a while.

I could see them doing a hardware refresh maybe in a couple of years IF it only involves something easy like updating the chips on the motherboard.
Something that doesn't require retooling the manufacturing process or redesigning the motherboard.

Having said that, I don't think it will actually happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
anthonymoody

Short of a 4K broadcast standard and hdmi 2.0 it's tough to see what they might've missed in this current generation of hardware that would require a refresh. I suppose more tuners could be added if the underlying cc/chip infrastructure becomes available. I'm more interested in the App Store, a robust selection of useful apps, and making all menus HD
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
SullyND
L: 14-49

The most likely "refresh" IMHO, and likely not soon, would be HD size. I could see 4GB Pro, 2GB Plus, 1GB Base.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
backspaces

Thanks all, that's good input .. and good news too, I can go ahead and order it!
Old 09-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Short of a 4K broadcast standard
OTA- I don't see that happening at all. Maybe for cable... quite frankly I think it is silly. Just a way to try an obsolete everything to sell more devices. The majority of the people out there can't tell the difference between DVD/SD and Bluray/HD. (We on this forum can, of course).
Old 09-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
The most likely "refresh" IMHO, and likely not soon, would be HD size. I could see 4GB Pro, 2GB Plus, 1GB Base.
I think you mean TB (Terabyte)
Old 09-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
SullyND
L: 14-49

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I think you mean TB (Terabyte)
LOL Yep.

Hey, I can record 5 whole minutes on my new Roamio!
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
Philmatic

The only hardware refresh that I can see coming is for the Mini. Mostly to put it in an enclosure that more closely resembles the Roamio family design, but maybe we'll see a spec bump in the CPU or MoCA.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #13
ggieseke

On my Pro (which I assume is just a Plus with a bigger hard drive) there are some cutouts in the back wall that look like 2 HDMI ports and some blank spots with chip layouts on the motherboard. I have no idea what that means for the future.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #14
moyekj

Currently the Stream can't handle H.264 channels and it's been that way over a year. Don't know if there is a hardware limitation there (unable to decode H.264) but if so it may mean a possible hardware refresh. Could well be TiVo doesn't see it as a big issue so haven't bothered with a software update. Will wait and see what out of home streaming software update brings, but if H.264 handling is still not addressed with that update then I'd start to suspect hardware issue.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
innocentfreak

Has the Plus/Pro been tested with H.264? I thought it was figured out that the Plus/Pro had the same chip from the Stream.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #16
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Has the Plus/Pro been tested with H.264? I thought it was figured out that the Plus/Pro had the same chip from the Stream.
That's what I'm talking about - the integrated Stream in Plus/Pro. Yes, it has same problem as standalone Stream with H.264.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #17
anthonymoody

Quote:
OTA- I don't see that happening at all. Maybe for cable... quite frankly I think it is silly. Just a way to try an obsolete everything to sell more devices. The majority of the people out there can't tell the difference between DVD/SD and Bluray/HD. (We on this forum can, of course).
I disagree, but different strokes. All good.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #18
backspaces

It occurred to me to ask about the TiVo basic .. in terms of "future proofing".

I believe the basic only lacks 1) remote finder 2) streaming 3) disk space

So possibly the streaming capability may more important than it seems. In terms of HW refresh question, it may be that the streaming functionality may be required for certain firmware updates. Does that make sense? .. i.e. getting the streaming may have future capabilities that I'd want to have? (Had a sling for a while, and was great for watching TiVo on my computer and for NFL playoffs in Italy!)

I ask because it seems to me the alternatives are:
1 - Basic + 2/3TB Disk .. around $300
2 - Plus $400, and around $500 with 2/3TB disk
3 - Pro $600, no worries!
It seems 1 & 3 are the interesting ones, 2 is less a win price wise. I'm not too cost sensitive but 300/600 seems worth considering.

Thank you for your patience!

-- Owen
Old 09-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #19
moyekj

Quote:
I believe the basic only lacks 1) remote finder 2) streaming 3) disk space
You missed at least another few items:
4) 6 tuners (vs 4 for Basic)
5) Integrated MoCA + MoCA bridge
6) 100/1000 Mbps ethernet (vs 10/100 for Basic)
7) Component + composite outputs without need for breakout cable

Old 09-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #20
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
You missed at least another few items:
4) 6 tuners (vs 4 for Basic)
5) Integrated MoCA + MoCA bridge
6) 100/1000 Mbps ethernet (vs 10/100 for Basic)
7) Component + composite outputs without need for breakout cable
And

8) External power supply
9) Cheapy plastic case
10) Sub-standard size that doesn't fit well with other units
11) Cable card on bottom
Old 09-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #21
backspaces

Pro it is!

-- Owen
Old 09-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator

At this point I can't think of anything TiVo could do, hardware wise, to improve on the Roamio. All the features I want now are software based. The only exception is maybe having a Roamio with built in BD player. Would be nice to have a BD player with a TiVo UI like we did on the old Pioneer S2 unit for DVDs.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #23
mr_smits

Quote:

Any upcoming refresh will be for the Stream and / or Mini.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #24
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
At this point I can't think of anything TiVo could do, hardware wise, to improve on the Roamio.
Are you kidding?

Nothing can ever really be fast enough. They could have removable drive trays. Flash card slots to store settings on and load stuff. Alphanumeric front display. Built-in tuning adapter (not sure that would fly, since they are not standardized enough). Touch to sync for remotes. NFC for phone/tablet control pairing. HDMI in for PIP with other devices. Dual and simultaneous OTA and cable tuners. Additional (more than 2) USB ports.

I can think of lots of stuff without trying hard!
Old 10-01-2013, 03:18 AM   #25
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Are you kidding?

Nothing can ever really be fast enough. They could have removable drive trays. Flash card slots to store settings on and load stuff. Alphanumeric front display. Built-in tuning adapter (not sure that would fly, since they are not standardized enough). Touch to sync for remotes. NFC for phone/tablet control pairing. HDMI in for PIP with other devices. Dual and simultaneous OTA and cable tuners. Additional (more than 2) USB ports.

I can think of lots of stuff without trying hard!
The only thing on that list I might use is simultaneous OTA. Everything else is of no interest to me.

I will never fill 3TB and if I ever do I can always add on a eSATA so no need for removable drive trays. I'd much rather have PC software to transfer settings via the network then a card slot. I had an OLED display on my S3 and it was never of any use to me. (Show names were too small to read and clock was unnecessary) I don't know what touch to sync for a remote is, but I use a Harmony so it probably wouldn't work. Phone/tablet syncing can just as easily be accomplished via wifi and I don't have to walk up to the box like I would for NFC. I have zero use for PIP. Why would I need more then 2 USB ports?
Old 10-01-2013, 03:20 AM   #26
Dan203
Super Moderator

What might be cool is a BD player add-on that attached to the TiVo via USB and allowed you to play BDs without needing a completely separate box. Like that HD-DVD add-on they had for the Xbox 360.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #27
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
What might be cool is a BD player add-on that attached to the TiVo via USB and allowed you to play BDs without needing a completely separate box. Like that HD-DVD add-on they had for the Xbox 360.
People still use discs?
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #28
backspaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
People still use discs?
I do and I gotta say changing from "input" to "input" on the TV is a pain, even with the TiVo S3's input that has to go through several, one at a time. And the primitive DVD remote is, er, primitive.

I wonder if it's possible to have a HTMI in - HTMI out where I could use my TiVo to proxy my Apple TV through to the TV. Why? The ATV (and I think other devices like DVD/BD and Roku), I think, have no control over the volume.

I do love my iPhone/iPad "remote" for ATV and soon for TiVo. Soooo much nicer to search.

-- Owen
Old 10-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #29
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
And

8) External power supply
9) Cheapy plastic case
10) Sub-standard size that doesn't fit well with other units
11) Cable card on bottom
I consider having an external power supply a huge plus. I wish my Roamio Pro had one.

I see no reason to have a BD player in the TiVo. BD players are inexpensive now. And all I do is press the touch screen button on my Harmony One labeled "Sony 3D BD" and all inputs needed change and my BD player powers up. When I'm done I press "Roamio Pro" and the BD player powers down and all the inputs change so I'm can view my Roamio Pro again.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 10-01-2013 at 05:11 PM.
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I consider having an external power supply a huge plus. I wish my Roamio Pro had one.

I see no reason to have a BD player in the TiVo. BD players are inexpensive now. And all I do is press the touch screen button on my Harmony One labeled "Sony 3D BD" and all inputs needed change and my BD player powers up. When I'm done I press "Roamio Pro" and the BD player powers down and all the inputs change so I'm can view my Roamio Pro again.
I had (still have) a Pioneer S2 TiVo with built in DVD. (it can actually burn DVDs of shows, but never really used that much) The best parts about using it for DVDs were...

1) Not having to switch inputs on the TV or A/V receiver.

2) Being able to use 8 second instant replay while watching DVDs.

I too have a Harmony remote. But with a bit more consolidation I could actually get rid of it and use the TiVo remote for everything.