TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
cyberskier

Only 5 of 6 tuners work - is that b/c of Mini?

I have the Roamio Plus, and was tapping the "Live TV" button this morning to switch between tuners, just to make sure they were all working. Five of the tuners work fine, but the sixth tuner gives me a "Channel not authorized" message, even for channels that I know I have. I tried this with 3 or 4 different channels.

Is this because of the Mini I have in the house? Will the Mini hold onto that tuner in a situation like this, where it isn't essential to the Roamio? We last watched that Mini before bed last night. It's fine if it is, but I want to make sure that my Roamio isn't defective.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[from
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, my blog]
cyberskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
Alan_r

The mini uses dynamic tuner allocation, so will only take it when it needs it.

It sounds more like you're experiencing this problem:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507973

I have the same issue only when certain channels are tuned at the same time.
I suggest changing channels around on all the tuners then go back to the problem channel and see if it works.
Alan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
cyberskier

Thanks for the reply. That does seem like the issue I am having. I haven't been able to recreate it, though, so hopefully it doesn't come back. When you say "only when certain channels are tuned at the same time" do you mean it only manifests itself when a very specific mix of channels is tuned at the same time, or do you mean if you have the same channel tuned on two adapters (or is that impossible on a TiVo- i.e. it will always just switch to a tuner that already is tuned to that channel?)?

I put all 6 tuners on different Showtime channels, since they are all encrypted, and couldn't even recreate the problem there.

[from
, my blog]
Old 09-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
tim1724

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberskier View Post
Thanks for the reply. That does seem like the issue I am having. I haven't been able to recreate it, though, so hopefully it doesn't come back. When you say "only when certain channels are tuned at the same time" do you mean it only manifests itself when a very specific mix of channels is tuned at the same time, or do you mean if you have the same channel tuned on two adapters (or is that impossible on a TiVo- i.e. it will always just switch to a tuner that already is tuned to that channel?)?

I put all 6 tuners on different Showtime channels, since they are all encrypted, and couldn't even recreate the problem there.
For me it will work with 6 tuners for a few days, then the sixth tuner will randomly start failing. (my Cisco cablecard is running the rather ancient 1.5.2_1601… someday I'll get around to trying to get Charter to upgrade it)

I set it to use 5 tuners and it works fine. (Well I have tuning adapter problems, but I've had tuning adapter problems long before I got my Roamio.)
tim1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
cyberskier

Does the TiVo use the tuner cards sequentially? In other words, does it only use tuner #6 for a recording if the first 5 tuners are in use? Or is it more random?

[from
, my blog]
Old 10-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
Alan_r

For me I can recreate it when tuning AMC HD and LMN HD.
I never watch LMN HD but happened to be flipping around and found thats one combination that does it.

Checking the DVR status when it fails Ive seen AMCHD tuned on Tuner 0 and 4, that I remember.
So it doesnt seem to matter which tuner is in use.

I also tried to make it happen by tuning in all premium channels, but it doesnt have a problem with that.
Its mainly the higher number HD channels.
(in my lineup thats all around the 880 range)

One way for me to guarantee it happening is to change to AMCHD and then restart the Roamio.
After it restarts all 6 tuners will be on AMCHD and 2 will say not authorized.
Alan_r is offline   Reply With Quote