TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
jerrymc
TiVo Tinker

dialog audio too low on Tivo Desktop recordings

I have Tivo Desktop Plus v2.8.3 running on my laptop with Windows XP. Playback of shows downloaded from my S3 have perfect sound on commercials, but during the shows, the dialog audio levels are super low while the "background" audio (laugh track, music, ambient sounds) are normal. I can't turn the volume up high enough to make the dialog discernible.

I've adjusted my laptop audio settings 9 ways from Sunday with no improvement. I tried the same show on my Windows 7 Desktop and the sound is fine. Is this a codec issue?

I ran ggieseke's TivoDesktopCodecMgr tool. The graph shows AC3 in to MainConcept Dolby Digital Audio Decoder, then to Tivo PCM Boost before going to Default DirectSound Device.

Is there a setting on my Tivo that needs to change?

Thanks for any assistance.

-Jerry
HR10-250 - 77HD hrs
HR10-250 - 63HD hrs
Philips DSR7000 - 240SD hrs
jerrymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Which AC3 filter is it using? There is a free one called AC3Filter that has all sorts of settings including some compression settings which would probanly help with that.

Alternatively you could run the files through VideoReDo and change the audio to 2ch MP2. That should be louder.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #3
jerrymc
TiVo Tinker

Thanks Dan! Installing AC3Filter did the trick!
HR10-250 - 77HD hrs
HR10-250 - 63HD hrs
Philips DSR7000 - 240SD hrs
jerrymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

+1

Thanks Dan, I just installed, it and works perfectly. I couldn't even hear the shows before, now I actually have to turn down the volume.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
unitron

Is there any way to do this sort of thing for stuff that's being played back on a TiVo and watched on a TV?

Or does mom just need to turn on the TV's closed caption function and leave it on?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Try changing the TiVo to PCM output mode. If it's connected directly to the TV that tends to produce louder audio.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Try changing the TiVo to PCM output mode. If it's connected directly to the TV that tends to produce louder audio.
I don't think her S2 DT can do that.

And it's not the audio level that's the problem, it's the level of the dialogue relative to everything else on the soundtrack.

Partially the blame rests with whoever's producing shows these days and the way they mix, with Burn Notice being the exception that proves the rule and shows that it doesn't have to be that way, just like stuff produced a few decades ago prove it doesn't have to be that way.

But, being familiar with the way FM radio stations that broadcast in stereo can wind up with a mono signal that sounds like one channel is phase reversed because of something in the processing chain, I wonder if perhaps new stuff designed to be in 5.1 or 7.1 or whatever might have problems when converted to only left and right that goes undetected by people mixing it with 5 and half speakers in the room, and wondered if there was a way to undo some of those unintended consequences.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:03 AM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Is the S2 connected to a cable box? If so check the cable boxes settings and look for one called audio compression. That can help with the disparity between the dialog and the effects. If it's connected directly to the cable then there isn't much you can do. These days analog channels are actually down mixes of the HD channels which have 5.1 audio and unless they apply compression at the time it's converted you're going to get the effect you describe.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Is the S2 connected to a cable box? If so check the cable boxes settings and look for one called audio compression. That can help with the disparity between the dialog and the effects. If it's connected directly to the cable then there isn't much you can do. These days analog channels are actually down mixes of the HD channels which have 5.1 audio and unless they apply compression at the time it's converted you're going to get the effect you describe.
We haven't been forced to a cable box yet. Just straight TWC analog cable.

Thanks for the confirmation that the people doing the audio mixing are at least partially to blame.

I don't suppose there's any way to run left-right line level through something and turn it back into surround sound?

Old 10-04-2013, 01:57 AM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

If you have a surround sound system you can turn it to PLiix mode and then turn up the center speaker and that should help with the dialog.