TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #1
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

The Amazing Race | "The Only First That Matters" | 5/13/2106 | *spoilers*

Wry surprising finishing order given the way the season was edited. I figured Tyler and Korey would win easily.

That first challenge (jumping off the building) was poorly placed/designed, because only one team could jump at a time and the best case scenario was the teams would each be about ten minutes apart after that challenge. But with the first place team getting the clue in one jump, the second place team needing two jumps, and the third place team needing three jumps, that just spaced the teams out even more and at that point it would require a pretty major screw up for Matt & Dana to lose their lead.

I'm kind of surprised they just let the teams drive those dinghies around in the harbor, given how it was clear they didn't know how to properly maneuver and stop. They could have damaged some of those extremely expensive crafts. And did the old fisherman giving out the clues actually have any expressions? They could have used a robot for that and not lost anything.

Matt and Dana were stupid to let their cab go, especially in a place where cabs aren't that common, but it didn't hurt them.

The Gibraltar Rock challenge was clearly set up for all three teams to potentially be doing it simultaneously, but with the way the first task was set up, it was pretty unlikely they'd actually get teams there at the same time. Kudos to Sheri and Cole for powering through despite their fear of heights.

The final memory task was a major dud. First, they never showed us the hashtags, so we had no idea what they were, second, the teams clearly realized that the hashtags would be important so they all had them memorized, and three, just spelling the cities was super easy. It would have required one of the teams being colossally stupid for that task to change the order.

Overall, a good season with a lackluster finale. Seems like that happens more often than not. I'm not sure what they can do to make the finales more competitive, but they should certainly not start the leg with a one-at-a-time task.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:45 PM   #2
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Yes, exactly. In fact, the way they edited it I at first thought they had 3 different locations for doing the jump where the other teams could see each other, and that seemed cool. They were careful to never show any of the people jumping interacting with someone waiting to jump, or anyone standing behind them etc. But as it went on it became clear that there was in fact only one location. Lame.

Definitely it was a mistake to have Tyler do the jumping. Korey was much more likely to be able to get it in the first jump, or for sure the second. Given the way Sheri and Cole got lost in the marina that may have been enough to turn the game around.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #3
laria
Librocubicularist

Yeah, wow was that a hashtag boring season finale.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #4
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Matt and Dana were stupid to let their cab go, especially in a place where cabs aren't that common, but it didn't hurt them.
They probably could have found a cab waiting if they'd gone a few blocks over to Stearns Wharf, or worst-case scenario, gone a few more blocks up to the train station -- but I know, you'd have to be somewhat familiar with Santa Barbara to realize this.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #5
ElJay

I thought this was a pretty lame end to an otherwise good season. I can't believe the final leg of this season would present a serialized challenge like what we saw at the first one, where teams would have to line up behind each other to complete it. Given the logistical challenges the producers regularly seem to successfully deal with, this was quite the limitation to present to the two trailing teams so close to the finish line.

ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:42 PM   #6
verdugan

Quote:

That first challenge (jumping off the building) was poorly placed/designed, because only one team could jump at a time and the best case scenario was the teams would each be about ten minutes apart after that challenge.
In an aerial shot of that challenge, You could see that were multiple buildings with helipads on them. I think there were helicopters on two of them. I assumed that they had multiple jump "stations" set up close to each helipad.

verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:18 PM   #7
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Not a terrific finale, but I'm happy with the finish order.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:57 PM   #8
getbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
In an aerial shot of that challenge, You could see that were multiple buildings with helipads on them. I think there were helicopters on two of them. I assumed that they had multiple jump "stations" set up close to each helipad.
Yeah, there were definitely three different jump stations. There are different buildings in the background as each person is jumping.

From how it was shown, there was no indication that there was anything to prevent the three people from jumping at the same time.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:29 PM   #9
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I just rewatched and I now agree that there were three jump stations set up. When I watched last night I saw all three helicopters but only saw one jump platform, but looking more closely now I see all three.

So I guess it wasn't faulty leg design by the producers. They did everything they could to allow teams to compete simultaneously, but the failures by Sheri and Tyler to get the clue on the first jump is what really ruined the leg. Although maybe still not a great idea to have a task that would be so difficult for teams to get on the first try and require at least ten minutes to get reset for a second try.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:04 AM   #10
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

This was one of the worst finales of AR I can remember. There was no excitement to it as it wasn't even close. I'm sure there were worse ones, but other than the first season I can't remember one so lopsided.

Not to mention, of the 3 teams remaining I'd rather have seen the dancers get 3rd, mostly because of the way they treat one another.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #11
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
There was no excitement to it as it wasn't even close. I'm sure there were worse ones, but other than the first season I can't remember one so lopsided.
Agreed, there was no suspense. Most of the time, they can use some editing to make us think it's close. They couldn't even do that here.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #12
verdugan

Dana has been horrible through out the whole season. I even used the #FreeMatt several times.

However, I have to admit that Dana won this leg for them. She is the one who suggested that the boat should be close to the museum and she killed that memory challenge. Admittedly, it wasn't that hard as Cole did it fast too if you believe the editing.

She only had one mini-meltdown when they couldn't find a taxi. That is a record for her.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #13
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
However, I have to admit that Dana won this leg for them. She is the one who suggested that the boat should be close to the museum and she killed that memory challenge. Admittedly, it wasn't that hard as Cole did it fast too if you believe the editing.
I disagree. Matt won this right off the bat when he was first up at the jump and got the clue on the first try. After that all they had to do was avoid a catastrophe. They didn't even have to run mistake-free (like not having their taxi wait for them). And since they knew they were playing from way in-front the opportunities for a complete Dana meltdown were very few. If it had been a tight race or the racers weren't able to tell where the others were so easily, then I'm sure she would not have been so "reasonable".

The boat thing seemed pretty obvious; you knew you had to get into the skiff so clearly it was in the marina somewhere. It didn't seem like they found it much faster than Tyler and Korey. Sheri and Cole were confused as usual .

I do agree Dana did well with the memory challenge but all the contestants seemed pretty clear on what needed to be done; based on his comments about the tricky spelling of some of the cities I think Matt could have done just as well.

But Matt won it, hands down, with that first jump.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:04 PM   #14
MarkofT

Matt and Dana's taxi slip up was completely nullified by Tyler and Corey's driver failing to know or even bother to try and find their next location.

MarkofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:20 PM   #15
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofT View Post
Matt and Dana's taxi slip up was completely nullified by Tyler and Corey's driver failing to know or even bother to try and find their next location.
For all we know, Sheri and Cole spent just as much time looking for a cab after finding the Theresa Ann, but the editors didn't want to show that because it would take away what little suspense there was.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:22 PM   #16
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Wry surprising finishing order given the way the season was edited. I figured Tyler and Korey would win easily.
You mean how they edited to show Tyler and Korey win 5 legs and finish 2nd in 3 others?

JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:26 PM   #17
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
You mean how they edited to show Tyler and Korey win 5 legs and finish 2nd in 3 others?
No. We just got lots of interviews and narration from Tyler and Korey, but they didn't focus much at all on Matt and Dana except when they were fighting. I just think it's odd that of the three teams in the finale, the team that won is the team that got by far the least screen time throughout the season.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:37 AM   #18
RickyL
valar morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofT View Post
The slip up might of actually helped them. THey ended up with a local driver, not the driver from the airport.

"If You chose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush, Freewill
RickyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:00 PM   #19
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
This was one of the worst finales of AR I can remember. There was no excitement to it as it wasn't even close.
Didn't the 2nd team arrive to the mat fairly soon after the first? I don't mean seconds.. but I seem to remember you could tell that it was a short time (minutes not hours).. like the rest of the teams were still celebrating from the first one arriving or something..

no, I don't remember exactly, and NO, I don't mean just cheering for the 2nd team to arrive.. you can often see various hints to how close they are, and I thought there was one in this one..

maybe I misread it though..

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #20
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I thought I remembered that Matt and Dana finished the last challenge before Cole and Sherri started it. So, I don't think it could have been TOO close.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #21
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Disappointed at the winners. Dana was a bit of a nightmare during the race and they had such awful communication that I just could not root for them. Tyler and Korey got too cocky near the end. I was rooting for Cole and Sherri. They were a weak team but were usually pretty positive.

The alpine episode they did this season was my favorite. I want to do those challenges myself.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:40 PM   #22
etexlady

I wanted any team other than Tyler and Korey to win. One of them had the most annoying laugh and if I never hear it again that will be fine with me. Otherwise they were a good team. I would have been happy with the mother-son winning as they overcame so many flubs along the way.

etexlady is offline   Reply With Quote