TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2016, 08:51 PM   #1
morac
Cat God

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - Emancipation (OAD 5/10/16)

I don't have any comments yet since I haven't finished watching, but I wanted to give warning that there are a few spoilers for Captain America Civil War. Nothing really major if you know the basic plot of the movie, but part of the episode's story centers around something that happened in the movie.

There's also another spoiler that doesn't have a lot to do with the movie plot, but it will have a bigger impact if you don't find out about it from this episode.

morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:13 PM   #2
MusicMama

Watched it live for a change.

Without specifically spoiling, gotta say I was not surprised to see the tie-in to the CA:CW movie. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm guessing the association isn't all that different from how a previous SHIELD season was very closely tied to Avengers Ultron or CA:Winter Soldier?

I actually felt that the beginning of the episode might have been modified somewhat to emphasize the association. At least they're not making pseudo-plot-related car commercials based on characters from their currently popular dramas, like another network I could mention.

MusicMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:57 AM   #3
jeepair

Did Hive know what Lash is? He stepped back like he was afraid but he should have stepped forward to use his power to turn Lash. Then, once that failed he should have stepped back thinking... uh oh.

Convenient way Lash was killed.

jeepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:12 AM   #4
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMama View Post
Without specifically spoiling, gotta say I was not surprised to see the tie-in to the CA:CW movie. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm guessing the association isn't all that different from how a previous SHIELD season was very closely tied to Avengers Ultron or CA:Winter Soldier?

The TV show seems to be dependent on or beholden to whatever the movies do, but the reverse isn't true. It's like a codependent relationship.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
TonyD79

Any mention of things from the movie the week the movie is released is just plain dumb. With three episodes left, they could hold off on impacts from the movie for next season. Do they think everyone is going to see the movie in the first four days it is out? Or do they prefer everyone stops watching shield until they see the movie.

Old 05-11-2016, 03:15 PM   #6
wedgecon
Just Plain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Any mention of things from the movie the week the movie is released is just plain dumb. With three episodes left, they could hold off on impacts from the movie for next season. Do they think everyone is going to see the movie in the first four days it is out? Or do they prefer everyone stops watching shield until they see the movie.
Well we are talking about Marvel fanboys here!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wedgecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:43 PM   #7
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

They want to "encourage" watchers of SHIELD to see the movie right away so they aren't spoiled by the show.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

That said, there's really not much in the show that you won't get from the movie trailers...

Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:08 PM   #9
Ereth

Plus, it's hardly new. Every Marvel movie has been referenced in the following weeks Agents of SHIELD, so if you aren't aware of it by now, you aren't really a follower of the show.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:32 PM   #10
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Plus, it's hardly new. Every Marvel movie has been referenced in the following weeks Agents of SHIELD, so if you aren't aware of it by now, you aren't really a follower of the show.

Some are referenced more (Winter Soldier) than others (Age of Ultron). AoS completely and totally spoiler the former, but not so much the later. Civil War had more spoiled than AoU, but no where near as much as WS.

The flow back from AoS to movies has basically stopped. I'm guessing by the time the Inhumans movie comes out (assuming it ever does), it will be like no one has ever heard of them before.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:37 PM   #11
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

So who is going to "die"? I can't imagine any of the regulars. (My money's on 'Yo-Yo').

Will Hive make it through til next season? Who else would they have for a big bad?

Is the guy that played Lash really that big? Maybe they used smaller guys for the newly grown Inhumans, because he looked ginormous next to them.

(New and improved with TiVo. Again.)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College 1962

10/12 - DirecTV Genie HR34/700
10/14 - TiVo Q
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:58 AM   #12
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I thought it was pretty lame that we find out Lash can stand up to Hive, and then Lash is killed 2 seconds later. Of course, is Lash really dead? I know a hole in the chest will kill most, but this is a super hero show.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:31 AM   #13
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
So who is going to "die"?
Isn't it obvious?

In this episode, Mac gets a new cross on a chain. That cross on a chain has been the central image every time we see Daisy's vision.

Could be a fake out, of course, but I think we lose Mac.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #14
caslu

Quote:
Isn't it obvious?

In this episode, Mac gets a new cross on a chain. That cross on a chain has been the central image every time we see Daisy's vision.

Could be a fake out, of course, but I think we lose Mac.
Yes, that would be very obvious... which is why it's definitely not Mac. My vote is for Lincoln.

caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Some are referenced more (Winter Soldier) than others (Age of Ultron). AoS completely and totally spoiler the former, but not so much the later. Civil War had more spoiled than AoU, but no where near as much as WS.

The flow back from AoS to movies has basically stopped. I'm guessing by the time the Inhumans movie comes out (assuming it ever does), it will be like no one has ever heard of them before.
That's because The Winter Soldier completely blew up the premiss of the show. I wonder how much warning they got on that one? They basically destroyed the agency that is in the name of the show. They couldn't really just gloss over it like they did with Age of Ultron. They did a fairly tied in episode with Thor: Dark World too. They actually went to basically CSI that giant space ship that crashes at the end.

What sort of bugs me about the current season is they made the bad guy too powerful. If he was really that big of a threat where are the avengers? They're all human and would not be effected by his parasite so they would be able to easily take him down. But instead they send in these inhumans who can be effected by him. If they're going to have a show like this in the same universe as the avengers then they need to keep the threats a little less world ending.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:59 AM   #16
TonyD79

The avengers are too busy beating each other up.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:08 PM   #17
Graymalkin
Grumpy Poster

Whoever ends up with that red shirt, er, gold cross is going to get it. And I don't think it's done being passed around yet.

Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:28 PM   #18
David Ortiz
Yankee Fan

Quote:
This, totally. Saw the movie yesterday afternoon, then the episode last night.

David Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:52 AM   #19
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caslu View Post
Yes, that would be very obvious... which is why it's definitely not Mac. My vote is for Lincoln.
Please, let it be Lincoln. Or the general with the stupid hairdo.

"I handcuffed lightning and threw thunder in jail." - Muhammed Ali
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:03 PM   #20
bruinfan

so, how did they know lash was the hive killer?

and why wouldn't he have finished off hive/ward before helping daisy, which eventually earned him a spear through the torso?

bruinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:05 PM   #21
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Wasn't it a chain through the torso? The chain he was using earlier in the episode to catch those 5 dudes they turned into Hivelings?

Old 05-13-2016, 01:09 PM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
Wasn't it a chain through the torso? The chain he was using earlier in the episode to catch those 5 dudes they turned into Hivelings?
How did he suddenly get that power anyway? In the last episode everything he touched blew up, ala Gambit in Xmen. Now all the sudden he can turn a chain into so sort of flaming whip?

Also all those guys had assault weapons and he attacks them with a chain? And not one of them actually shoots him? Had none of them seen Raiders of the Lost Ark?

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:15 PM   #23
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
How did he suddenly get that power anyway? In the last episode everything he touched blew up, ala Gambit in Xmen. Now all the sudden he can turn a chain into so sort of flaming whip?
I think that is pretty much how things have gone. When someone first turns inhuman, they can't control their powers. Then over time, they figure things out. Like Daisy was causing quakes left and fight until she got that things on her arms.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:45 PM   #24
vertigo235

I think when he let's go they blow up.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:24 AM   #25
bonscott87
Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
What sort of bugs me about the current season is they made the bad guy too powerful. If he was really that big of a threat where are the avengers? They're all human and would not be effected by his parasite so they would be able to easily take him down. But instead they send in these inhumans who can be effected by him. If they're going to have a show like this in the same universe as the avengers then they need to keep the threats a little less world ending.
My wife and I said the same thing to each other. "Good grief...give Tony a call STAT!" to take out Hive. Especially since this is basically "end of the world" level threat now. I've let it go, but it really doesn't make sense.

Having said that, Hive has been shown more then once to kill humans pretty easily so it's not like any of the Avengers are immune or something.

Also, since the Avengers are under the Accords now, Coulson couldn't just call them up anyway, it would have to go thru committee, get approved, etc. at which time the world is over. Which was Cap's whole point.

bonscott87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #26
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post
Also, since the Avengers are under the Accords now, Coulson couldn't just call them up anyway, it would have to go thru committee, get approved, etc. at which time the world is over. Which was Cap's whole point.
I can almost see the TV people ending the world just to show the movie people what idiots they are...

Old 05-14-2016, 01:17 PM   #27
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I can almost see the TV people ending the world just to show the movie people what idiots they are...

And the movie people who go on just like it didn't happen, same as anything else that happens on the TV show.

Has there been any movie/tv crossover characters at all this season? The first two season had a few characters cross back and forth, but I can't recall any at all this season.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:25 PM   #28
vertigo235

There has not, I read a while back that there was sort of a falling out between the TV group and the movie folks.

I think it was a Joss Whedon interview.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:29 PM   #29
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
There has not, I read a while back that there was sort of a falling out between the TV group and the movie folks.

I think it was a Joss Whedon interview.
I'm not sure it was a falling out so much as the movie people forgetting there even was a TV show, upper management continuing to give the TV people movie edicts, and the TV people resenting it. Deeply.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:26 PM   #30
Howie
Out of Pocket

I've never seen any of the movies, or read any of the comics for that matter. The show works fine for me as a standalone. I do catch the references to Avengers and such, but I don't dwell on them too much. Maybe I'll look on the movie channels and try out some of them. Where should I start?

Howie is offline   Reply With Quote