TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2016, 07:48 AM   #1
markymark_ctown

Exclamation The Americans | "Pastor Tim" | 2016-03-23 S4E02

There's a cold war between Stan and Phillip...

markymark_ctown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:32 AM   #2
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I'm still thinking Gabriel is trying to get rid of them with that disease.

Was it necessary for Philip to beat up the security guard on the bus?

It also sounds like Philip is considering an exit strategy from "the life".

Pastor Tim's days are numbered.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:10 AM   #3
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I
Was it necessary for Philip to beat up the security guard on the bus?
He didn't beat him up, he killed him. Phillip probably would have been able to bluff his way through it, but the pilot was too nervous.

Last edited by vman41; 03-25-2016 at 04:33 PM.
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:13 AM   #4
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Why did Philip have to go to New York to pass on the package? They couldn't get a courier into D.C. ?? Seems risky for him (Philip) to transport it further than necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #5
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
Why did Philip have to go to New York to pass on the package? They couldn't get a courier into D.C. ?? Seems risky for him (Philip) to transport it further than necessary.
I was wondering the same thing. It's little things like that that lead me to my thoughts in the previous episode thread. Having that "package" in their possession with a flaky contact who refuses the package and having to travel to NYC to transfer it leads me to believe that the Soviets don't entirely trust P&E and are looking for a way to make them disappear. I think Philip eluded to it with his "should we run" comment.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:31 AM   #6
john4200

They cannot have many compromised pilots on their asset list -- certainly not one in every city. If they were willing to use this one, who was far from reliable, it is not surprising that he would have to travel a ways to reach such an asset.

But it seems like there should have been a better way to do it. Doesn't the Center have some path to get contraband out through a diplomatic pouch?

john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:34 AM   #7
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

So the "keep it in the freezer" thing was only a suggestion I guess? At no point in this episode did it look like the sample could be anywhere near freezing temperatures.

TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:35 AM   #8
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
They cannot have many compromised pilots on their asset list -- certainly not one in every city. If they were willing to use this one, who was far from reliable, it is not surprising that he would have to travel a ways to reach such an asset.

But it seems like there should have been a better way to do it. Doesn't the Center have some path to get contraband out through a diplomatic pouch?
Even if they did need to go to NYC, it seems strange to me there was no discussion at all about how going to NYC might not have been ideal. Not before Philip went. Not after he came back and tells Elizabeth it was a disaster. no "I knew it was a bad idea". Nothing. It's like it all went down locally. Except it didn't. They seem to totally ignore it. It's just weird.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:48 AM   #9
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
Even if they did need to go to NYC, it seems strange to me there was no discussion at all about how going to NYC might not have been ideal. Not before Philip went. Not after he came back and tells Elizabeth it was a disaster. no "I knew it was a bad idea". Nothing. It's like it all went down locally. Except it didn't. They seem to totally ignore it. It's just weird.
That does not strike me as nearly as weird as the fact that they would use a compromised pilot to get it out. I still don't see why they could not get it to the embassy and then out that way.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
So the "keep it in the freezer" thing was only a suggestion I guess? At no point in this episode did it look like the sample could be anywhere near freezing temperatures.
They had it in a cooler with ice when it was in the wall...

Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #11
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
They had it in a cooler with ice when it was in the wall...
Sure, an insulated lunchbox with a small amount of ice. Nowhere near freezing temperature. In reality, I would assume that it wouldn't need to be kept below freezing -- fridge temps are probably fine. On the other hand, all the time it spent out of the cooler probably has ruined it by now, if refrigeration is actually all that important.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:33 AM   #12
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

It will be really interesting to see what they decide to do with Pastor Tim now that Paige has told them she spilled the beans. That threw two different wrenches in their plans, because 1. now Paige will be much more likely to suspect them if Pastor Tim ends up dead, and 2. it shows that Paige doesn't have the constitution for keeping secrets and is not likely ever going to make a good asset for the Centre.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #13
busyba
The Funcooker

So.... anybody else want Paige to accidentally drink the toxin?

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #14
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
It will be really interesting to see what they decide to do with Pastor Tim now that Paige has told them she spilled the beans. That threw two different wrenches in their plans, because 1. now Paige will be much more likely to suspect them if Pastor Tim ends up dead, and 2. it shows that Paige doesn't have the constitution for keeping secrets and is not likely ever going to make a good asset for the Centre.
Another way of looking at #2 is that she is so "loyal" to her parents that she can't keep anything from them (ie showed where her priorities are).

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #15
busyba
The Funcooker

More like Paige was fearful for Tim's safety (as evidenced by her nightmare), and knowing that Tim was up in the cabin, grew suspicious when mom told her that they had to "work" that night, so she confessed because she figured they already knew and by letting them know that she knows they know, she could prevent them from taking him out.

I think it was a calculated move on her part. A whiny, selfish, bratty, calculated move.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:23 PM   #16
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
More like Paige was fearful for Tim's safety (as evidenced by her nightmare)...
No, that was Elizabeth's nightmare, not Paige's.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:37 PM   #17
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
Another way of looking at #2 is that she is so "loyal" to her parents that she can't keep anything from them (ie showed where her priorities are).
Possibly, but we'd need to see more from her to know if she told her mom because she felt guilty for betraying the family or did she tell her mom because she simply isn't able to keep secrets very well. Is this experience going to make her more likely to keep a secret next time, or is she going to spill the beans just as quickly?

Quote:
More like Paige was fearful for Tim's safety (as evidenced by her nightmare), and knowing that Tim was up in the cabin, grew suspicious when mom told her that they had to "work" that night, so she confessed because she figured they already knew and by letting them know that she knows they know, she could prevent them from taking him out.

I think it was a calculated move on her part. A whiny, selfish, bratty, calculated move.
As John said, that was Elizabeth having the dream. I think Paige is so naive at this point that she'd never even consider that her telling Pastor Tim might put him in harm's way.

Speaking of Elizabeth's dream, when she turned over Pastor Tim and he was dead, then he changed into someone else and attacked her. Who did he change into? I didn't recognize that person.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:39 PM   #18
busyba
The Funcooker

Ah, my bad.

So maybe Paige isn't calculating.

I still stand by whiny, selfish, and bratty though.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #19
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

So Stan is basically friendless. He's lost his wife and his son doesn't talk to him. His angry outburst toward Philip has damaged that relationship. He's burned his relationships at work and now Agent Gaad is can't even mask his disdain for Stan during their meeting in this episode. Stan tries to connect with Oleg by expressing sympathy for the death of his brother, and Oleg walks away stating that they're not friends.

All Stan has left is Henry, the neighbor boy who has a fetish for older women, and in many respects, Stan seems to be about on the same emotional level as Henry. I think Stan's isolation is going to factor into some kind of big blowup that is bound to be messy.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:28 PM   #20
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Speaking of Elizabeth's dream, when she turned over Pastor Tim and he was dead, then he changed into someone else and attacked her. Who did he change into? I didn't recognize that person.
Wasn't that the KGB trainer that raped her?

Old 03-25-2016, 01:39 PM   #21
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Wasn't that the KGB trainer that raped her?
Yes, that was Nikolai Timoshev, raping Paige in much the same way he raped Elizabeth.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:57 PM   #22
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
...the neighbor boy who has a fetish for older women...
He's a teenaged boy who's hot for his 25-year-old science teacher with big boobs, I think "fetish for older women" is overstating it by several orders of magnitude.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #23
john4200

Quote:
He's a teenaged boy who's hot for his 25-year-old science teacher with big boobs, I think "fetish for older women" is overstating it by several orders of magnitude.
He also had a crush on Stan's wife. He had a picture of her hidden in his room, presumably to masturbate to.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:55 PM   #24
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
He also had a crush on Stan's wife. He had a picture of her hidden in his room, presumably to masturbate to.
Projecting.

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:45 PM   #25
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Projecting.
Are you saying that you find Sandra attractive?

Or are you suggesting I am wrong about Henry's use for the picture?

Remember, he had Sandra's picture among a collection of other pictures of scantily clad women, all hidden under a floorboard in his room. What do you suppose he does with the pictures?

Old 03-25-2016, 07:52 PM   #26
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

He's saying that just because that's what you would do with the picture, that doesn't mean it's what the boy was doing.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:02 PM   #27
busyba
The Funcooker

Given how angry Stan got with Phillip just for having a drink with his wife, imagine his reaction over Henry doing that!

Old 03-25-2016, 09:17 PM   #28
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanstew View Post
He's saying that just because that's what you would do with the picture, that doesn't mean it's what the boy was doing.
Which still does not answer the question, what else would a teenage boy do with pictures of scantily clad women he keeps hidden in his room? Are you going to tell me he is studying to be a bikini and lingerie designer but does not want his family to know his career plans?

Old 03-25-2016, 09:32 PM   #29
busyba
The Funcooker

Oh jeez, let's not make this into another Big Bang Theory: Felonious Alcoholic Unit thread.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #30
stellie93

I think they need to tell Paige that they are not in charge, and their handlers sometimes record conversations in their house. Now someone higher up is going to kill the Pastor, and there's nothing they can do about it. She'll feel guilty (as she should) but it would shut her mouth.

stellie93 is online now   Reply With Quote