TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2016, 07:20 AM   #1
astrohip

"Thirteen" BBCA mini-series (Summer 2016) *Spoilers*

**Spoilers allowed for any episode which has aired in the US**

Anyone watching? I watched the first episode last night, and was impressed.

Thirteen is a BBC mini-series (fictional). Already aired over there. On BBCA here in the US. Five episodes, one season only. It's about a 13 yr old girl who was abducted in 2003, and never heard from again. In 2016, she escapes.

Quote:
BBC America's Thirteen, which premieres Thursday, chooses to stay in the present (without flashbacks), keeping the procedural aspects as secondary elements and instead giving full attention to the fragility of memory, of imperfect victimhood and the collateral damage to almost everyone associated with the crime in a steady, stark but intuitively sensitive way gives this limited series maximum impact.

And at the center is a particularly interesting and peculiar performance from Thirteen's star, Jody Comer (Doctor Foster), who plays Ivy, a girl kidnapped 13 years earlier in Britain who flees into an entirely different world as a 26-year-old.
First episode did a great job setting the table. Lead actress is well cast. This is not Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, but a very different perspective on kidnapping and return to society.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:31 AM   #2
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Malcontent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:47 AM   #3
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

I watched it by 'alternative means' back when it was originally airing in the U.K.

I really liked it in the beginning but then it seemed to drag a bit. I was disappointed in the ending. Overall, I'd give the show an 'OK'.

The lead - Jodie Comer - is outstanding. I first saw her a couple years ago in a U.K. miniseries - Remember Me - and she's completely different here. If the BBC were to do a British remake of Orphan Black, she's their girl.

Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:29 PM   #4
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Never heard of this and it doesn't look like they're replaying the pilot episode.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
lynncosbm

I watched this whole series on BBC, liked it a lot. It's kind of similar to The Family but I think better.

lynncosbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:08 PM   #6
Cainebj

I liked it also - yes, the story is familiar - but still enjoyed...

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:20 AM   #7
astrohip

Ok, three episodes into a five eps run. And this is a phenomenal show. Very well acted, great writing. The lead is superb, you really buy into her being locked up for thirteen years. Her mannerisms, quirks, fears... all spot on.

The family dynamics are intriguing. The interplay between the parents, the sister, the fiance, even Tim & his coterie. Especially the police. Love how everyone is referred to as D.S. Merchant or D.I. Carne.

Her sister is a saint. The fiance is a dick (literally & figuratively). Tim's wife is a doosh too. You would think she would be more understanding of Ivy, and how Tim plays into that, but nope...

A strong part of the draw of this show is how ordinary family dynamics get twisted upon close examination. One can understand how the estranged parents wanted to put on a good face for Ivy upon her return. But now it makes it seem like one big lie to her when she discovers the truth. Ah, no good deed goes...

The slow, methodical pacing of this show make it seem like a premium cable series, where they aren't pressured by the same dynamics to force a story to move faster than it should. Hence, every time there's a commercial break, I'm jolted back into reality. Was this originally commercial-free when aired in UK, as almost no break seems organic?

Can't wait to see how the next two episodes wrap it up.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:06 AM   #8
Cainebj

Has anyone else noticed they have moved Thirteen to 6 pm on Thursday for the next 2 episodes, or is my TiVo data messing with me?

Old 07-14-2016, 06:38 AM   #9
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

It's for realsies. I checked the BBCA website. (5:00 for people living in a more civilized time zone...)

Old 07-14-2016, 07:00 AM   #10
Cainebj

Good thing we have TiVos with season passes

Old 07-14-2016, 05:59 PM   #11
astrohip

Yeah, I noticed it recording today during the evening news (5:00pm, civilized territory I'm told), and thought, WTF? Even had to play the first minute, to make sure it really was a new episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Good thing we have TiVos with season passes
QFT!!!

Old 07-14-2016, 07:29 PM   #12
cherry ghost

I saw it recording at 5:00. When I went to watch it, nothing was there. Not in the deleted folder and History says "channel not authorized." No idea what's going on.

cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:16 PM   #13
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

It recorded for me...

Old 07-14-2016, 09:26 PM   #14
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
I saw it recording at 5:00. When I went to watch it, nothing was there. Not in the deleted folder and History says "channel not authorized." No idea what's going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
It recorded for me...
Apparently Roamios in some areas are having problems with some h.264 channels

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=539351

cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:40 PM   #15
OhFiddle

Firstly, why would they bump this from prime-time to put on Kill Bill? Are the ratings that bad that it can't hold just five prime-time slots in the middle of summer?

On a good note my Tivo did catch the time change and I saw it "recording" at 5pm. Then went to watch it and it was gone. Same problem as cherry ghost. No re-airings either. Hopefully OnDemand works.

I'm on Comcast in Chicago market with a Roamio Plus. Same issue outlined in the thread you linked to. Won't record or buffer live tv on that channel and trying to view it as live tv on a connected Mini locks up the Mini! I don't know what changed recently. The first three episodes recorded fine and I think the channels have been MPEG-4 for a while. Checked my Tivo software version and it is the same as it was last time I looked at it in mid June. Arggh.

OhFiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:45 PM   #16
astrohip

Just watched today's episode. Just keeps getting better. The emotional trauma caused by her return is off the charts. I won't be more specific yet in deference to those of you having issues recording it. (What??!? No spoilers in a spoiler thread? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhFiddle View Post
Firstly, why would they bump this from prime-time to put on Kill Bill? Are the ratings that bad that it can't hold just five prime-time slots in the middle of summer?
Would love to know the answer to this.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:45 PM   #17
astrohip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Has anyone else noticed they have moved Thirteen to 6 pm on Thursday for the next 2 episodes
Not only are they the next two, they're the last two.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:26 PM   #18
astrohip

And that's that. Sort of an odd ending, must be a British thang. Builds to a huge climax, then 15 seconds later, poof it's over. I was glad to see Ivy get her gumption back at the end. Strength of character overcame Mr. Creepy.

A couple of minor quibbles took some of the shine off what had been a superbly put-together show. In the beginning of this episode, in the chase scene when they have his car boxed in, he takes off and rams the car with D.S. Lisa Merchant and D.I. Elliott Carne. Then drives off and no one follows. Not a one of the other cars follows him away. They clearly had him boxed in, they showed the other police vehicles staring him down... yet nothing?

And at the end, Chief Inspector Stick-up-his-Ass says to the family, "we have him located and units are on their way". They ask if they can go too, and he says yes. And yet at the final scene, the family arrives at the same time as the other units. Shouldn't the other units have arrived much sooner?

Every episode was solid and well done, except this final one. It just seemed sloppy, almost rushed.

Having said that, the emotional power of this story never lessened.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:54 AM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
A couple of minor quibbles took some of the shine off what had been a superbly put-together show. In the beginning of this episode, in the chase scene when they have his car boxed in, he takes off and rams the car with D.S. Lisa Merchant and D.I. Elliott Carne. Then drives off and no one follows. Not a one of the other cars follows him away. They clearly had him boxed in, they showed the other police vehicles staring him down... yet nothing?
I was also a little perturbed at how little damage there was to the van. It should have been undrivable after an impact like that, yet the fender probably could have just been hammered out. (OK, not really on a plastic body, but still..!)

It almost seemed to me like after four episodes at one pace, the last one should have been another two or three episodes, all crammed into one.

Still, all in all, good stuff!

Last edited by Rob Helmerichs; 07-22-2016 at 03:01 AM.
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:06 PM   #20
Hcour

Just finished this. Agree it was excellent and Comer in the lead was amazing. It takes real talent to pull off that "deer in the headlights" expression. She really came off as bewildered and emotionally wounded, if she didn't break your heart then you don't have one. A very believable performance in an extremely difficult role.

I also thought the final ep was off a bit, stretched credibility a few times (the abduction, the getaway), but man, was I rooting for Ivy to bash that bastard's head in. The tension during the abduction scenes was incredible, I was genuinely frightened for her. And it was indeed great to see her find herself and stand up to him.

Great series.

Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #21
Howie
Out of Pocket

I liked the series, but everything ended up so suddenly it just left me cold. I thought WTH, maybe she's dreaming, there must be one more episode. I even delayed deleting my season pass thinking that couldn't be the end. It seems like they ran out of money or something. Oh well.

Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:45 PM   #22
Hcour

I didn't think it ended suddenly at all. The story was about how her abduction and return affected everyone around her and how Ivy herself coped with both her current situation and her guilt and shame and confusion and her sense of loss, as well as dealing with her family and friends, who were also experiencing many of the same feelings, though for different reasons. During the course of the story pretty much every relationship falls apart, then when Ivy is abducted again the characters all come together due to their love or involvement with her. And Ivy finds the courage to confront her tormentor, which puts her on the path to healing and becoming whole again.

That's an over-simplification, natch, and makes it all sound a bit too pat, but the point is that the conflicts, both external - between the various characters - and internal - in each character's psyche - were moving toward resolution as the story concluded.

Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:20 PM   #23
Howie
Out of Pocket

Thank you for your apt synopsis of the story, which I have no argument with. I watched and understood it. Still, for me, the ending was much too abrupt. I felt some kind of denouement would have been appropriate.

Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:23 PM   #24
Jon J
Curmudgeon

It didn't end. It quit.