TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #61
tomhorsley

Looks like TiVo has a good chance to beat comcast. The latest word on the comcast forums is that the update isn't scheduled for October anymore. I did notice my external IP address just changed. Maybe they have everyone working on networking instead of cable.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #62
hershey4

At least you didn't get your Premiere 4 a couple of weeks before Roamio came out like I did! I am so annoyed that I paid full price for a practically obsolete device, plus the fact that it has so many annoying aspects.

The upside is that I am not a big fan of automatic upgrades and active development and changes to a big piece of tech that I am dependent on. Updates often cause more problems than solutions, I value stability. So I might be okay with this after all. (once I get used to all the regressions of P4).
hershey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #63
Balzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey4 View Post
At least you didn't get your Premiere 4 a couple of weeks before Roamio came out like I did! I am so annoyed that I paid full price for a practically obsolete device, plus the fact that it has so many annoying aspects.
I have to ask.. if you purchased the Premiere a couple of weeks before the Roamio release, could you have returned it for a refund, since it was within the 30 day money back thing?

Roamio/Stream (Sep '13 - Present)
Premiere "B" (July '12 - Oct '13)
Premiere "A" (August '11 - Present)
TiVo HD (July '07 - July '12)
TiVo S1 (August '01 - July '07)
Balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #64
hershey4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzer View Post
I have to ask.. if you purchased the Premiere a couple of weeks before the Roamio release, could you have returned it for a refund, since it was within the 30 day money back thing?
you would think so but unfortunately it sat in the box for 6 weeks before I could set it up and turn it on and discover it was such an inferior product. I was on the ball to make sure it arrived at my new house before Comcast did, but Comcast was unable to complete the installation (because they are flippin idiots - don't get me started...). A 6-week nightmare of miscommunication and incompetence followed before I finally got cable and internet service installed.

And, true, it would be clear without using it that the value of it dipped, but it wasn't until I saw that it was not a great product combined with the value dipping that really aggravates me. Plus, I was so busy dealing with Comcast and moving in, it was not high on my radar. And usually with TV's and other electronics, the price gradually decreases as a new model approaches. Not so here. Full price to outlet clearance price. wooosh...
Old 10-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #65
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Not to be a pain in the ass...

But we were discussing the fact that a new unit was coming out for, what, the last 3 months? And that it was best to wait...

You may not come here very often, but TiVo was definately leaking the information and Zatz and Sbiller were providing a heads up on both their sites and on this forum.

So...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #66
rick stone

Thanks Margaret. Your involvement is always appreciated.

Do you know if the Fall Update will fix the Netflix issues we are all having with the Premiere? Locking up, freezing, rebooting, etc
rick stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #67
hershey4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
But we were discussing the fact that a new unit was coming out for, what, the last 3 months? And that it was best to wait...
I had no idea. I'm not in the loop. I'm an infrequent visitor and when I do visit its generally very issue focused. I should visit more... it is amazing the amount of info that exists.

Now that I think about it, I did start a thread about my upcoming move before I moved to sort out how the Series-2 played into the scheme. (or NOT!) I don't think Roamio came up. I'll have to go see. But even if it did, it takes using the P4 a bit to realize how yuck it is. I definitely assumed going from a 7-8 year old Series 2 to the latest Premiere would have to be a no-brainer and major improvement. features - yes, performance - no.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #68
atmuscarella

Quote:
I had no idea. I'm not in the loop. I'm an infrequent visitor and when I do visit its generally very issue focused. I should visit more... it is amazing the amount of info that exists.

Now that I think about it, I did start a thread about my upcoming move before I moved to sort out how the Series-2 played into the scheme. (or NOT!) I don't think Roamio came up. I'll have to go see. But even if it did, it takes using the P4 a bit to realize how yuck it is. I definitely assumed going from a 7-8 year old Series 2 to the latest Premiere would have to be a no-brainer and major improvement. features - yes, performance - no.
If you want to improve your Premiere's performance switch back to SDUI. With the Premiere's hardware you can either have a fast SDUI or a sluggish HDUI. Personally until I used a Roamio the Premiere's HDUI didn't bother me, but now that I have been spoiled the Premiere's HDUI really seems slow.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #69
shamilian

Tivo recently had a service outage and the discovery bar did not work. I noticed that the Premiere seemed to run faster without this extra part of the UI. I wish they gave us the option of removing the discovery bar from the My Shows Screen. I think that might make the experience a little more tolerable.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #70
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Priority List is now open

Hi TiVo Premiere owners!

We've just opened the Priority page for the Fall Update.

http://www.tivo.com/priority

--Margret
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #71
MeInDallas

Thank you! Best news all week!
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #72
timstack8969

I hope it fixes the following problems:

"Channel not available" message when tuning
"Black Screen" for a second or two
timstack8969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #73
dhoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Hi TiVo Premiere owners!

We've just opened the Priority page for the Fall Update.

http://www.tivo.com/priority

--Margret
Does this update include Dynamic Tuning between Mini and P4?
dhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #74
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
Tivo recently had a service outage and the discovery bar did not work. I noticed that the Premiere seemed to run faster without this extra part of the UI. I wish they gave us the option of removing the discovery bar from the My Shows Screen. I think that might make the experience a little more tolerable.
+1000, but then Tivo couldn't push useless junk to you all the time.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #75
tvmaster2

I have to admit that when pushed on the phone, you can sometimes get satisfaction with Tivo.

However....I do remember CSR's being somewhat assured in that future updates would unleash the "full" power of the Tivo Premiere

that never happened...not even close. The power was never there to begin with. For that, I would love to find a competing product and adios the Tivo's from the building.

paying for a Roamio upgrade just doesn't feel right this time...feels like I've been suckered big time. The technical sloth that is the "powerful" Premiere interface really is insulting to a paying customer. Problem is, there really isn't that much competition.

Remember when there were 15 different companies who made VCR's, and they all had something to offer? And when speakers were so big you could be buried in them.....lol
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #76
tomhorsley

OK, Why can no web designers get this right? On the TiVo box down in messages and settings, the TiVo Service Number is printed grouped into chunks with a dash between each chunk.

If you try and copy it exactly as written, it won't take it in the priority update page.

Sigh. Credit cards in web forms are always the same way too. Is this some secret requirement of the web designers guild to torture all the poor fools trying to use web forms? :-).

I also notice that the "number" includes letters, so if there is a round circle in the middle of a bunch of letters is that a zero or the letter O? (Of course if it is a hex number, then it must be a zero, and I don't see any letters past F :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #77
MPSAN

Well, I hope they fix the bug where we get no audio unless we back up a few seconds!
Old 10-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #78
porges

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
Well, I hope they fix the bug where we get no audio unless we back up a few seconds!
I have that too (after catching up to live). Slightly cleaner workaround: hit pause twice, quickly.
porges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #79
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Speaking of bugs, the past few months if I start watching a show off of another Premiere over the network that is STILL RECORDING, about 10-15 min away from the end it says it lost connection from the Tivo. Every time. So then you have to restart the episode and skip up to the point it disconnected. I hope this is fixed.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #80
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by porges View Post
I have that too (after catching up to live). Slightly cleaner workaround: hit pause twice, quickly.
same happens to me. Glad it doesn't seem to be my receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
OK, Why can no web designers get this right? On the TiVo box down in messages and settings, the TiVo Service Number is printed grouped into chunks with a dash between each chunk.

If you try and copy it exactly as written, it won't take it in the priority update page.

Sigh. Credit cards in web forms are always the same way too. Is this some secret requirement of the web designers guild to torture all the poor fools trying to use web forms? :-).

I also notice that the "number" includes letters, so if there is a round circle in the middle of a bunch of letters is that a zero or the letter O? (Of course if it is a hex number, then it must be a zero, and I don't see any letters past F :-).

Same. Just happened to me.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #81
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
Speaking of bugs, the past few months if I start watching a show off of another Premiere over the network that is STILL RECORDING, about 10-15 min away from the end it says it lost connection from the Tivo. Every time. So then you have to restart the episode and skip up to the point it disconnected. I hope this is fixed.
This bug (error code V87) has been around ever since MRS was introduced and persists even with series 5 platform. TiVo obviously doesn't care enough about it to fix it.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #82
sbiller

Netflix App on Premiere to be updated

http://investordiscussionboard.com/b...upgraded-q1-14
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #83
aeternal

Smile

Quote:

The upside is that I am not a big fan of automatic upgrades and active development and changes to a big piece of tech that I am dependent on. Updates often cause more problems than solutions, I value stability. So I might be okay with this after all. (once I get used to all the regressions of P4).
I was in the same boat you were hershey4. I had bought an XL4 back in May with no idea that a new series would be out any time soon. Then in June i started seeing ads for comcast's X1 device and then in August the Roamio debuts. It was pretty frustrating. I will say that I had an excellent experience with a tivo CSR. I had the monthly 1 year commitment on the XL4. I had recently purchased and activated a Roamio Plus and I thought i would be locked in and have to pay early term fees for the XL4. Well the rep ended up voiding the XL4 service and retro-activating my Roamio back to May. Now I have a free-standing XL4 that should fetch around $150 on ebay. Sure, I've lost some money but the Roamio is fantastic and definitely worth the upgrade. Couple that with the great customer service and this Tivo customer is a happy camper again
aeternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #84
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
I'm not sure the Bloomberg article actually states what you are saying in your headline. Are you just assuming that Atlantic would not deploy the current crippled Netflix app on their Premieres? I suppose that might be a good assumption but you never know.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #85
jrtroo
User

With any new device, there must be the last purchaser of the old technology who did not know/expect the update. Happens all the time. You are not alone.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #86
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

HEY!! I just had that happen too and never had it before!!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #87
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I'm not sure the Bloomberg article actually states what you are saying in your headline. Are you just assuming that Atlantic would not deploy the current crippled Netflix app on their Premieres? I suppose that might be a good assumption but you never know.
I would be shocked if Suddenlink launches Netflix with the crippled Premiere app on their 90,000 TiVo devices currently in the field. I think there is a high probability that this comment telegraphs a Netflix app update that will filter back to retail Premiere boxes later this year.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #88
Loach

Quote:
I would be shocked if Suddenlink launches Netflix with the crippled Premiere app on their 90,000 TiVo devices currently in the field. I think there is a high probability that this comment telegraphs a Netflix app update that will filter back to retail Premiere boxes later this year.
For my own sake, I really hope you're right.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #89
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
I don't expect the refreshed Roamio version of Netflix to fix the performance issues on the Premiere. First the Roamio Netflix instance isn't HTML5 (not that a platform change would help). Second, the problem with Netflix is the processor, not the app.

The Roamio update to Netflix was a simple UI refresh that included DIAL support, not some magical performance fix.

The Premiere still has an underpowered processor and always will. I doubt it will ported and am pretty sure it wouldn't provide you a performance boost if it were.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #90
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I don't expect the refreshed Roamio version of Netflix to fix the performance issues on the Premiere.
Updated Netflix and YouTube apps feature improved performance on Premiere...

By the by, looks like the Priority singup page isn't working - I get a web error when I try to put mine in.

Quote:
Error 404--Not Found

From RFC 2068 Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1:

10.4.5 404 Not Found

The server has not found anything matching the Request-URI. No indication is given of whether the condition is temporary or permanent.

If the server does not wish to make this information available to the client, the status code 403 (Forbidden) can be used instead. The 410 (Gone) status code SHOULD be used if the server knows, through some internally configurable mechanism, that an old resource is permanently unavailable and has no forwarding address.

davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote