TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
smbaker

Wayward Pines Books and TV Series thread *spoilers*

This thread is for those who want to talk about the book and the TV series.

Since the TV series appears to be diverging from the books, expect that all three books may be spoiled in this thread.

smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
smbaker

As Maui points out in the other thread, some very interesting diversions from the series regarding Ethan's wife and family. It really ramped up the enjoyment of the series for me, as now I feel that anything can happen.

I forget the circumstances around the Sheriff's death in the book, but IIRC it was somewhere around the end of the first book.

Did the Sheriff have a deputy in the book? I seem to remember some badass mercenary woman that Ethan had to deal with, and the nurse just isn't seeming badass enough to fit the role I remember.

Now that Ethan's family have arrived in Wayward Pines, do we expect the outside-of-wayward-pines storytelling to come to a close? The only person we have left out there with unresolved story is Ethan's FBI boss.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:51 AM   #3
3D

Thanks for starting this. Wasn't sure there would be enough of us readers to warrant such a thread, but I'm happy to contribute.

I think the sheriff dies at the very end of the first book with Ethan then stepping into that role. IIRC, Ethan going to his first day of work as the sheriff was the last scene in book one.

The thread is marked accordingly, but HUGE SPOILERS ahead just in case any non-readers were daring enough to take a peek.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I'd like to take a second in the safety of this book reader thread to point out specifically the concern I had with the spoiler at the beginning of the episode three thread, which I couldn't do there without disclosing the very spoilers that I thought were implied in the original post. My concern was that pointing out that, in the books, the wife and son had been living in Wayward Pines for years would lead an astute non-reader to the conclusion that the scenes taking place outside of Wayward Pines must necessarily be from a different point in time, which would obviously be a pretty big spoiler. The spoiler was identified as pointing out a difference, which could theoretically have been something more innocuous like in the book, it was the son who actually killed the sheriff (I know that's not true, but just giving an example of the type of difference that one could safely read but would not be an inadvertent clue to anything going on in the show). It seems that my concerns were unwarranted, but I still think the spoiler reveals more than was intended.

3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
I forget the circumstances around the Sheriff's death in the book, but IIRC it was somewhere around the end of the first book.
Having just read the first book yesterday, yes, it was at the end of that one. The sheriff was forced to die heroically in Spokane, in defense of the helicopter against the creatures. His unwillingness to go along with the plan proved not to be a factor.

The intent was to get rid of somebody who had become a liability while creating a job opening for somebody who was proving useful.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #5
3D

I am curious about how the whole Hassler storyline will play out given the change. Is his motivation for participating going to be different, or is he simply not going to get the benefit of the bargain, so to speak? At first I thought that maybe the wife and son simply had a memory wipe but had actually lived for several years with Hassler prior to Ethan's arrival, but on second thought decided it wouldn't make sense as the son hasn't aged at all.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:16 PM   #6
smbaker

I suppose it could turn out that the wife had been around a few years with hassler, had a reset, and the son unthawed to join her. Her aging wouldn't be too apparent.

I wasn't real happy with hassler's role in the second and third books (IIRC he went on a long duration recon mission). It just didn't fit with the mental image of the hassler character that I had built up at the time.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:18 PM   #7
3D

I had no problem with the recon mission and kind of like your explanation of what might have happened.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:35 AM   #8
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D View Post
I am curious about how the whole Hassler storyline will play out given the change. Is his motivation for participating going to be different, or is he simply not going to get the benefit of the bargain, so to speak? At first I thought that maybe the wife and son simply had a memory wipe but had actually lived for several years with Hassler prior to Ethan's arrival, but on second thought decided it wouldn't make sense as the son hasn't aged at all.
Given the only reason that they are there at all is Hassler's infatuation with the wife, I am not sure how they will spin it, if he does not get involved with the wife.

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:50 AM   #9
3D

Maybe in the TV version Hassler is still on ice?

Old 06-07-2015, 10:37 AM   #10
smbaker

So it looks like the big reveal is coming next week already. Although this feels really soon compared to a typical a TV series, I think it's a good decision rather than drawing things out.

It's fun watching the theories come up in the other thread. At least one or two people are dead on.

The one theory I haven't seen discussed much is that the townsfolk are dead and the town is set in purgatory (i.e. last season of LOST). IIRC this was mentioned in the book as a phase that many new arrivals to Pines go through, believing they are dead, and was considered not only normal but a good sign that a townsperson was adapting.

Still no Hassler. Maybe they're saving him for a 'big surprise' of some sort. This a M. Night Shayamalamalalamala production and he does like surprises.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #11
3D

I've never heard of anyone guessing the reveal from just reading the book. I think with a television show, it is harder to stump everyone, as you literally have weeks to stew over the clues as opposed to just tearing through the book.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:55 PM   #12
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D View Post
I am wondering if they are not mostly jettisoning the whole Hassler subplot of him and the family living happily together prior to Ethan's awakening. I think it added a whole other layer to the characters of the wife and son.

The limited airtime the character of Hassler has gotten makes me think he will not be a factor.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:10 AM   #13
smbaker

Primarily a question for Maui -- in the latest episode thread I believe you said you felt the series has diverged significantly from the books.

I've read all three books, and it seems to me it's following along fairly closely. They've tweaked some characters, for example putting much greater emphasis on the teacher and her students and for some reason giving Pam a personality makeover. They dropped the love triangle plot between Hassler and Ethan's wife. They killed Pope and made Ethan sheriff relatively soon. However, it seems to me the overall plot is pretty much the same. We even have the sudden re-emergence of Hassler as a scout.

The whole underground bunker in the middle of the town seems like it is merely being used as a (rather silly) device to re-introduce Hassler to the audience. In the books all they needed to do was to drop his name, but television audiences needed a little more hand-holding. We needed Ethan's wife to point at the screen and go 'Hey look, it's Adam Hassler!'.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts of the differences between book and series.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #14
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Primarily a question for Maui -- in the latest episode thread I believe you said you felt the series has diverged significantly from the books.

I've read all three books, and it seems to me it's following along fairly closely. They've tweaked some characters, for example putting much greater emphasis on the teacher and her students and for some reason giving Pam a personality makeover. They dropped the love triangle plot between Hassler and Ethan's wife. They killed Pope and made Ethan sheriff relatively soon. However, it seems to me the overall plot is pretty much the same. We even have the sudden re-emergence of Hassler as a scout.

The whole underground bunker in the middle of the town seems like it is merely being used as a (rather silly) device to re-introduce Hassler to the audience. In the books all they needed to do was to drop his name, but television audiences needed a little more hand-holding. We needed Ethan's wife to point at the screen and go 'Hey look, it's Adam Hassler!'.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts of the differences between book and series.
The list is actually growing. I don't think they have really hurt anything by changing it up though (unlike Under The Dome).

In The Books
  • Ethan seems to be trying more to keep people in town. In the book I remember him helping with the escape.
  • More emphasis on the school and the children
  • Pam is not the Pam from the book
  • Wife and Son not already living in town for years when Ethan is awakened.
  • Hassler subplot mostly cut
  • Pilcher did not kill Pam (I think it was Pam) in the show and then Ethan revealing that video.
  • The massacre in the jail was definitely was not in the book.

In the end they are hitting the major points and have not really lost me with the changes. It is mostly in the details and subplots where things have changed. In fact I kind of like the changes as it keeps the show somewhat enjoyable for those of us who have read the books.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:43 AM   #15
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
[*]Pilcher did not kill Pam (I think it was Pam) in the show and then Ethan revealing that video.
I don't think that was Pam, but I can't remember the name of the character. I think that was in book #2, and was Ethan's primary assignment from Pilcher, to investigate the murder of some beloved member of Pilcher's team (his daughter, perhaps?). IIRC it was revealed that she wanted to disclose the truth to the residents, and was killed for that. IIRC it was Pam and/or Pilcher who did it.

Wasn't Pam the one Ethan locked outside the gate and allowed her to be killed by Abbies?

I can't find a decent synopsis of the books, and am trying to recall this based solely on my memory, which is not so good these days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui
It is mostly in the details and subplots where things have changed.
Yes, I agree the changes are mostly in the subplots. I also am enjoying the series having some differences from the book. It's the perfect combination of the excitement of seeing the events in the book brought to life on screen, with a little bit of uncertainty not knowing if things are going to occur the same way.

I know there's been some griping in the other thread, but I'm really very pleased with the quality of the adaptation. Especially when I compare it to something else, like Under The Dome, where they went completely off the rails with any attempt to hold true to the novel.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:17 PM   #16
JMikeD

I almost can't believe how they totally screwed up the ending of the tv series. It left a bad taste in my mind. I'm going to have to go back and re-read the book ending to get all that out of my head.

JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:48 AM   #17
smbaker

IIRC I didn't care for the book ending much either. But the TV series ending was certainly worse. It felt like something Stephen King would write.

I wonder if Blake Crouch is thinking about doing a new 3 book series on 'the first generation' ? Certainly the TV series set it up that way.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #18
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
IIRC I didn't care for the book ending much either. But the TV series ending was certainly worse. It felt like something Stephen King would write.

I wonder if Blake Crouch is thinking about doing a new 3 book series on 'the first generation' ? Certainly the TV series set it up that way.
I did not hate the ending as much as most folks. The ending scene definitely seemed tacked on as a possible way to have a season 2 without needing the highly paid adult actors.

It's still multitudes better than the Under The Dome adaptation.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:15 AM   #19
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

So anyone want to spoil to us tv-watchers how the book ended?

Old 07-24-2015, 10:48 AM   #20
smbaker

The epilogue to the third and (presumably) final book is:

Spoiler:

"Seventy thousand years later, Ethan Burke's eyes slammed open."

(spoilerized just in case someone hasn't read the whole series yet and doesn't want to see the ending)

Old 07-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #21
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
The epilogue to the third and (presumably) final book is: * SPOILER * (spoilerized just in case someone hasn't read the whole series yet and doesn't want to see the ending)
Spoiler:
How does anything slam open? Is that even possible?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #22
getreal
postcrastinator

Did Ethan blow himself up in the book?

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #23
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Did Ethan blow himself up in the book?
Nope.

There was an abbies vs residents battle that paralleled the one in the TV series. I don't recall exactly how it was resolved, but it definitely did not involve Ethan's death.

Last edited by smbaker; 07-24-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #24
jon777

So for someone who liked the books, but hasn't started the show (sitting on the DVR). Worth watching or delete? Sounds kind of mixed...

Lets Go METS!
jon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #25
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon777 View Post
So for someone who liked the books, but hasn't started the show (sitting on the DVR). Worth watching or delete? Sounds kind of mixed...
The show was great overall. I wasn't too excited about the ending but overall really glad I watched.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:39 PM   #26
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I enjoyed the both.

It stuck close to the books in the begining, especially the first half of the season, and then strayed from the books enough to keep me interested week after week.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:42 PM   #27
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon777 View Post
I read the book first, and I would absolutely recommend the show. I thought they did a great job.

Just substitute the book ending for the show ending and you'll be happy.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:10 AM   #28
ej42137

Quote:
I don't think that was Pam, but I can't remember the name of the character. I think that was in book #2, and was Ethan's primary assignment from Pilcher, to investigate the murder of some beloved member of Pilcher's team (his daughter, perhaps?). IIRC it was revealed that she wanted to disclose the truth to the residents, and was killed for that. IIRC it was Pam and/or Pilcher who did it.

Wasn't Pam the one Ethan locked outside the gate and allowed her to be killed by Abbies?

I can't find a decent synopsis of the books, and am trying to recall this based solely on my memory, which is not so good these days...

Yes, I agree the changes are mostly in the subplots. I also am enjoying the series having some differences from the book. It's the perfect combination of the excitement of seeing the events in the book brought to life on screen, with a little bit of uncertainty not knowing if things are going to occur the same way.

I know there's been some griping in the other thread, but I'm really very pleased with the quality of the adaptation. Especially when I compare it to something else, like Under The Dome, where they went completely off the rails with any attempt to hold true to the novel.
Book spoilers.

Spoiler:
Pilcher's daughter, who was murdered by Pam and Pilcher acting in concert, was named Alyssa; she was beloved by all who knew her. Pilcher also murdered her mother because she wanted to stay behind and not enter stasis; this murder was concealed from Alyssa. The character of Pam was a completely unsympathetic and irredeemable sociopath, physically beautiful and a serious bad-ass fighter. It seemed to me that the characters of Alyssa and Pam were conflated and simplified for the teleplay.

Pam was locked outside the gates by Ethan, but made her way back to town and attempted to murder Theresa and Ben who were hiding from abbies in the sheriff's jail, but instead Pam was killed by Adam Tobias Hassler, who shows up in the nick of time. Hassler had lived with Theresa and Ben as her husband for a time before being sent on an epic three year journey to San Francisco and back where he discovered the nascent Abby civilization, said cohabitation having been concealed from Ethan. Theresa has to choose between Ethan and Hassler, and makes Ethan squirm for a bit before choosing him. Hassler and Kate independently decide to commit suicide but have a meet-cute on suicide rock, reconsider, and wind up together and at the conclusion seem to be friends with Ethan and Theresa.

Climate change (global cooling) has made Wayward Pines nonviable (which was part of Pilcher's motivation for attempting to destroy it), so everyone agrees to go back into stasis for 70 more millennia, when it is presumed that there will be kinder and gentler civilized abbies, or at least a survivable interglacial temperate period. It ends with Ethan's eyelids slamming into the upper orbits of his eye sockets, awaking to a new day in 73,843 C.E.
I enjoyed both the television production and then the three books; they were different enough that only the central mystery of the first book was spoiled, otherwise the plot was dissimilar enough to hold my interest to the end, and I particularly liked learning more details about how it all came to be put together. I wasn't completely satisfied with either of the two endings, but then endings are hard. For what it's worth, I enjoyed "Lost" and Under the Dome (the book of course) even though both their endings sucked.

If they were to continue the series as a revolution against the tyranny of the young ones, I suspect it would be as bad as the second season of "Heroes".

Last edited by ej42137; 07-27-2015 at 02:41 PM. Reason: expanded some topics slightly
ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:07 AM   #29
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Does the author ever explain in the books the physical and logistical issues relating to Pilcher's plan, such as how the cryopods had uninterrupted electricity for over 2,000 years, how things like vehicle tire, belts, and hoses were still intact, how their food stores were still good, how/where all the building materials were stored so that they'd have what they needed to build the fence and the whole town, etc.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #30
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
how/where all the building materials were stored so that they'd have what they needed to build the fence and the whole town, etc.
I believe the building materials were all stored in the bunker in the mountain.

I think the room full of abandoned cars was one of the dumber scenes of the TV series. Those cars clearly would not have survived in the way they were stored. They weren't necessary for the function of the town in any way. I don't see why they would have bothered to keep them at all. I don't remember a similar scene in the books (but I could be forgetting).

The biggest issue I see (in both the book and TV series) is maintenance. Even if you have a power system that can survive 2,000 years, then it's probably still going to require periodic maintenance to keep it going. Perhaps this means you have to wake people up periodically.

End of third book spolier:

Spoiler:
And if you're struggling with a 2,000 year power source... then you'll really have issues with a 70,000 year power source