TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #1
cannonz

Rick and Morty

I watched a episode a few days ago thought it was pretty good, caught another tonight (Raising Gazorpazorp) was one of the funniest TV shows I've ever seen.

cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:51 AM   #2
Bob Coxner

I'll add another vote. It's Venture Brothers on steroids.

Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:38 PM   #3
cannonz

I noticed they are showing some of their classics recently too (Sealab, Space Ghost) would like to see Shin Chan again.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
Tivortex
Cherished Member

Rick and Morty is the funniest/weirdest show I've seen in a long while.
Double plus good.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I've seen the first 3 episodes of this show. I liked the first 2 and loved the 3rd. The 3rd dealt with Xmas and a theme park. Great stuff!!

Old 05-28-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
cannonz

Just saw the Mr. Meseeks episode, hilarious. After one more this Sunday I will have seen them all, hope the new ones are out soon.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:04 PM   #7
cannonz

A long time ago I saw somewhere the new episodes would start in January or February, anyone seen anything more recently?

Old 02-16-2015, 09:31 AM   #8
Bob Coxner

It sounds like it will be in the summer. http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/rick-and-...morty-season-2

Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:29 PM   #9
Odds Bodkins
Doug's Dad

First episode aired last night and it was glorious. "One dot mother****er!"

Odds Bodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:35 PM   #10
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

That episode was NUTS! I had to look twice to see it was only 22 minutes long. Seemed like a LOT happened in that short period of time. What a great show... it always delivers.

KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:50 PM   #11
GoPackGo

Just watched it. Wow. Love that it's back.

GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:02 PM   #12
hairyblue
A good Man

I just saw season 2 episode 1. I love how they are building on the episodes. Are spoilers allow in this tread?

For a cartoon, they have great taste in music. I actually like it so much I looked it up.

4Js-XbNj6Tk

LwVXkM_YxMg

And for fun.
ocTijYhFP-Y

Own 2 Tivo Premieres. OTA
Fired DTV for expensive rates on Sept. 2012
hairyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:46 PM   #13
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
That episode was NUTS! I had to look twice to see it was only 22 minutes long. Seemed like a LOT happened in that short period of time.
They did have time stopped for part of the episode.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:04 PM   #14
Gerryex

I don't watch too much of the Adult Swim stuff but when I saw the sofa opener on the Simpsons I was blown away with Rick and Morty. I was able to catch up on all of the first season's episodes on the Internet and just watched the second season opener and it was great!! I don't know if spoilers are OK in this thread so just in case:

Spoiler:
I knew the time line was going to split in two because it was shown in the season 2 teaser video. But when it split into 4 parallel time lines I broke up laughing. And then 8 time lines and I think ultimately 64 parallel time lines. At that point I couldn't stop laughing!!!

A question. Is Rick 100% human? From his crazy hair and what happened in the Simpson's sofa opener -

Spoiler:
The regenerated Simpsons were not totally human because Rick cleaned out the test tube with his spit!

- Rick seems to be not 100% human. But I didn't see anything in the first season's episodes that talks about his background. Was there some other info on whether he is part alien and why is his daughter seemingly 100% human?

Anyway if you like animated Sci Fi that is outrageously funny you MUST watch Rick and Morty.

Gerry

Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:03 PM   #15
trainman
Nice to see you

My interpretation of what you mentioned about the "Simpsons" opener...

Spoiler:
Rick is 100% human in and of himself, but he's been to so many different worlds that who knows what weird parasites/bacteria/viruses/etc. he has living in his body?

Old 07-30-2015, 07:03 PM   #16
hairyblue
A good Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
I don't watch too much of the Adult Swim stuff but when I saw the sofa opener on the Simpsons I was blown away with Rick and Morty.
The Simpson Couch Gag is what lead me to Rick and Morty. And Hulu let me watch season 1. And I found the new Rick and Morty with the help of the internet.

It's a smart SciFi show and very funny.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:30 AM   #17
hairyblue
A good Man

Just watched s2 e2. Am I the only one fooled into thinking goodbye moonman was a real David Bowie song? It is very catchy, and I have it stuck in my head.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Old 08-04-2015, 09:13 AM   #18
Odds Bodkins
Doug's Dad

Is there an auxiliary out? We've tried that.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #19
hairyblue
A good Man

I miss Ziggy Stardust and the spiders from Mars.

People think the lyrics are about genocide for the Moonmen (Carbon life forms).

Goodbye Moonmen

Old 08-06-2015, 05:36 PM   #20
cannonz

"They dip their balls in cocaine then rub them on each other" You won't see a quote like that from too many other TV shows.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #21
calitivo

S2E3 is leaked online. Things...get...dark

calitivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:27 PM   #22
hairyblue
A good Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by calitivo View Post
S2E3 is leaked online. Things...get...dark
I'm resisting watching it until Sunday. I like dark.

The hired killer was dark. And they make us think about actions and their consequences.

I love to see what happens in E3 on Sunday. Can't wait.

Is this a spoiler free thread. Anyone know?

Old 08-07-2015, 09:58 PM   #23
hairyblue
A good Man

Adult Swim released the Moonmen Music Video.

Goodbye Moonmen

Old 08-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #24
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyblue View Post
I'm resisting watching it until Sunday.

Is this a spoiler free thread. Anyone know?
I guess is my call discuss anything you want.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #25
cannonz

I liked the Mister Meseeks showing the guy how to win game in background, disappearing when he did.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:15 AM   #26
hairyblue
A good Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
I guess is my call discuss anything you want.
I like this answer. I would think any broadcasted Rick and Morty should be ok for this thread.

And I like the details of Rick and Morty. The back ground is the first thing I noticed about Rick and Morty in the Simpson's gag. It was full of interesting things to look at. You could tell some thought when into it.

Charles Schulz wrote a foreword for a Calvin and Hobbes book I had. I will always remember and agree with what he said. He said Watterson drew a great table and water splash. That the work was just fun to look at.

I think Rick and Morty's backgrounds are like this.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:55 PM   #27
cannonz

On background, I did not watch opening credits on first S2 episode assumed would be the same as last season. Watched second one, saw was clips from upcoming episodes, last nights they had inserted Mister poopy butthole into them.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:24 AM   #28
hairyblue
A good Man

Quote:
On background, I did not watch opening credits on first S2 episode assumed would be the same as last season. Watched second one, saw was clips from upcoming episodes, last nights they had inserted Mister poopy butthole into them.
S2 E3 was ok. But E4 is great. Loved their "clip show"!

Here is an article about it.

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/rick-an...rickall-223924

Rick And Morty: “Total Rickall”
“Wait, no! Don’t flashback!”

Do television series even do clip shows anymore? Reality series probably still churn one out every now and again, but it’s a rarity otherwise; no one turns on the latest episode of The Walking Dead expecting to see Rick and the rest regurgitating five minute chunks of previously aired misery. But the “clip show made up of clips that never actually existed before this episode” format, while not exactly a cliché, is at least something that’s been done. Clerks: The Animated Series did it. Community did it. And now Rick And Morty has done it—sort of. While a half hour of Rick and the rest (wait, what?) cueing up glimpses of horrifying hilarity that we’ll never see in context wouldn’t be completely out of place for the series, it also wouldn’t be quite enough on its own. Rick And Morty doesn’t need to constantly top itself, but it would be a legitimate letdown if the writers ever brought in an old concept without presenting it in a different light.

And so we get “Total Rickall,” a clip show in which the clips themselves are the enemy. Or at least representative of the enemy. The failing of past clip shows (even the self-aware ones) is that the plots are nearly always terrible, for the simple fact that it’s really ****ing hard to build a good story when you have to keep coming up with reasons to cut away to a completely different story. (“Shades Of Grey,” the awful Star Trek: The Next Generation clip show, gave Riker a brain infection that had him reliving his past to try and cover for the clunkiness. It didn’t work.) Here, though, Morty and his family are beset by alien parasites who insert themselves into people’s lives by giving them false memories, ala Dawn from Buffy: The Vampire Slayer; which means that every time someone says, “Remember when…,” another alien gets a chance to essentially come into being. Instead of groaning at each new flashback, or even appreciating them as ironic commentary on the phoniness of flashbacks, those memories create rising tension. They’re funny, but they’re also dangerous—which, thankfully, makes them funnier.

It’s a brilliant conceit, and the speed with which things get out of hand is breathtaking to watch. That’s not unusual for the show; one of its hallmarks is an absolute faith in the intelligence of its audience, and a willingness to follow established premises to their logical conclusion without holding back for fear of losing or alienating viewers. So the episode begins with things already somewhat out of hand—the first parasite has taken the form of “Uncle Steve,” and in the first scene, he’s already insinuated himself into the family’s life. Rick, unsurprisingly, realizes what’s going on, and shoots Uncle Steve in the head; the alien reverts to its hideous worm form when it dies, which gives Rick’s explanation of the situation considerable credence. (It also sets up the episode’s final twist, when Beth makes a horrible, horrible mistake.)

Things escalate from there, with each new alien manifesting in increasingly ludicrous ways. I’ve tried to list some of those forms below, but I’m sure I missed a few; and hell, most of the ones we see don’t even get names. Which is another hallmark of the series—the writers (and animators) jam so much invention into each twenty-minute block that listing it all would take, well, a lot more patience than I have at 12:30 am on a Monday morning. Really, though, fun as lists are, keeping track would be to miss the point. The voluminous creativity only works because it serves a narrative function. Jerry, Summer, Beth, Morty, Rick, and Mr. Poopybutthole need to feel overwhelmed, so lost in a sea of friendly faces that they forget the danger they’re in.

What really brings everything together, though, is Morty’s discovery that the parasites can only create good memories. The first half of the episode is dominated by flashbacks to happy times that never happened. Summer flying with Tinkles, the magical ballerina lamb; Cousin Nicky rescuing the family from a trapped elevator (thing I just realized—it’s an unhappy memory until Nicky shows up, which is a clue that Mr. Poopybutthole, improbably enough, is real); Rick and Frankenstein in ’Nam; Jerry and Sleepy Gary hooking up in the south seas, or wherever they were. The second half is when **** gets real, and each member of the family has to conjure up the bad times to make sure who’s real and who isn’t.

It gets a bit dark (the scene of a drunken Beth accidentally hitting Summer in the face with a wine bottle is legitimately unsettling), but that makes sense. A more reserved show might have tried to soften those bad memories, or at least give us a “Well, a family is made up of the good and the bad!” lesson at the end. This episode doesn’t really try. There’s no moral here about anything, just the observation that perfect contentment and happiness is not something we can ever expect in our lives, and the only time we can really be sure that someone is lying to us is when they keep telling us exactly what we want to hear. This isn’t about reassuring anyone—it’s simply presenting facts without commentary, and letting us make up our own minds.

Actually, not quite. Saying “all families have bad memories” would be a bit sad, but Rick And Morty goes a step further in suggesting that maybe it’s just this family that’s ****ed up. Through the whole half hour, the audience has been primed for the Mr. Poopybutthole shoe to drop. He’s absurd, he has a ridiculous name, and he’s been inserted into the show in an extremely suspicious way. (Right down to appearing in the title sequence.) But when Beth shoots him, he bleeds real blood. Recovering in the hospital after the end credits, he tells Beth (through his physical therapist) that he’s sorry none of them had any bad memories of him.

So I guess it’s possible to have all good memories of a real person. Kind of makes you wonder what the hell we’ve been doing with our lives—right, Mr. Computer Screen Which I Keep Staring At Because I Hope You Have Answers Guy?

Stray observations
“Steve wasn’t real?” “He was a real piece of ****.”
Much thanks to Alasdair for covering for me last week.
“I was on the wrong side of the pitchfork on that one.” -Frankenstein. (He’s really Frankenstein’s monster.)
Another reason this episode is so strong is because there’s no unrelated subplot to distract from the main story. The closest we get is Jerry convincing himself he’s an alien parasite, but that’s both completely fitting and immediately relevant. (Jerry also has a love affair with a man, but I think that’s less about his sexuality, and more about his desperate need to be loved.)
Okay, there was also Photography-raptor, Pencilvester (Rick is very emotionally attached to Pencilvester), Reverse Giraffe, Hammerai, Amish Cyborg, and Mrs. Refrigerator. And a ton of others.
Having the main characters start to question each other’s reality was inevitable, but it’s great how the episode doesn’t linger on the idea. It happens, there’s some lampshaded yelling (Beth pointing out Rick’s “incredibly vague backstory”), and then Morty figures out what’s going on.
“Why don’t you make me, implausibly naive adolescent boy with an old Jewish comedy writer’s name?” -Rick, mocking Morty’s name
“Summer, I love you.” “Yup.” And she shoots. Do not mess with Summer.
“Sorry, Jerry. We’re real.” “I’m a parasite!” “Yeah. But you’re real.”

Old 08-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #29
Odds Bodkins
Doug's Dad

And that's the way the news goes.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:55 AM   #30
hairyblue
A good Man

Quote:
I had missed this, I got up to grab a drink when the credit was rolling. I just rewatched the episode and got to see it. Nice touch and attention to detail. This is one of my favorite episodes.