TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-10-2015, 08:01 AM   #1
brebeans

American Crime - anyone watching?

I checked this out on my DVR last night....
I like Timothy Hutton and Felicity Huffman, so I wanted to see what it was all about.

Perhaps I need to see a few more episodes, but I don't know if I'm "getting it".

They had sort of connected a few pieces by the end of the episode, but still, I wasn't very impressed.

Anyone else catch it? And what did you think or am I missing something?

brebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Saw the ad for it and it didn't really make me want to watch so we skipped it.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:12 AM   #3
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I have it on my TiVo but haven't gotten around to watching yet. I have hopes for it based on previews, but...

Old 03-10-2015, 08:47 AM   #4
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

I enjoyed the pilot episode tremendously.

Probably the best pilot, IMO, this Fall/Winter season. Gripping

Old 03-10-2015, 10:15 AM   #5
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Felicity Huffman was such a cardboard stereotype, it really yanked me right out of the story.

I'm not saying such people don't exist in reality, because obviously they do. But if you're going to tell a story about them, you have to at least make them interesting. And in her case, I'm not interested. I don't want to understand her; I just want to slap her.

By Felicity Huffman, of course, I mean the character, not the actor. She's great; she just isn't being given anything interesting to work with here. My experience with John Ridley (haven't see 12 Years) is that when he doesn't deal with race directly, he has much more interesting things to say about it than when he DOES deal with it directly.

But I'll give it at least another week to see how it develops.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #6
csell

I loved the first episode and am quite curious to see where the story line will go. Will keep watching and would recommend.

csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
laria
Librocubicularist

I didn't really love the pilot, but I'll see where it goes. It was a fairly depressing story and I didn't really like any of the characters.

It vaguely reminded me of Traffic.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #8
brebeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Felicity Huffman was such a cardboard stereotype, it really yanked me right out of the story.

I'm not saying such people don't exist in reality, because obviously they do. But if you're going to tell a story about them, you have to at least make them interesting. And in her case, I'm not interested. I don't want to understand her; I just want to slap her.

By Felicity Huffman, of course, I mean the character, not the actor. She's great; she just isn't being given anything interesting to work with here. My experience with John Ridley (haven't see 12 Years) is that when he doesn't deal with race directly, he has much more interesting things to say about it than when he DOES deal with it directly.

But I'll give it at least another week to see how it develops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I didn't really love the pilot, but I'll see where it goes. It was a fairly depressing story and I didn't really like any of the characters.

It vaguely reminded me of Traffic.
Thanks. I was drawn into it, but only a bit. I agree that Felicity Huffman's character was , well, not very likable. I like a lot of shows with unlikable characters, but I didn't 'get' their relationship and, well, both you, above, sort of sum of my feelings. I will definitely watch another week to see what happens and to see if things change up a bit re the character development. thanks.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #9
StacieH
betativowho??

I liked it enough to set up an SP, but I felt the same way about "Allegiance," and was done after the 2nd episode. So we'll see.

I tend to like Huffman, and was very happy to see Timothy Hutton again.

StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:11 PM   #10
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Ya think Mom is happy that the killer is not an illegal?

It's pretty dark and too involved to enjoy but I'll give it a chance.

This looks like a network's stab at being AMC.

Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:05 AM   #11
brebeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndrews View Post
Ya think Mom is happy that the killer is not an illegal?

It's pretty dark and too involved to enjoy but I'll give it a chance.

This looks like a network's stab at being AMC.
Yeah.....agree.
Both with the fact that it's their stab at being AMC and it's pretty dark and depressing. I did watch, and enjoy, the killing. But the whole context of that show was consistent. This one, well, I'll reserve any more judgment until I watch a couple of more episodes. I want it to get better that what I thought it was in the first episode.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:38 AM   #12
dthmj
Hinky

I watched it, and it was ok for me. It took a while to piece it all together, so I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Felicity Huffman's character is not very likable at all. But I was too pre-occupied with wondering what was up with her face. Looks like she's had some work done. But I do want her eye glasses - they looked pretty cool. Wonder where I can find them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Gaming Blog

- Personal Blog
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:58 AM   #13
Beryl

The pilot was ok. I also enjoy Hutton and

Spoiler:
see Regina King is in upcoming episodes

so I'll keep watching for a bit.

Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #14
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

Thought it was very boring

DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #15
mattack

I agree with the previous post.. I watched the first ep, and wasn't sure if I was going to keep watching.. I usually give every show at least a couple eps, and I like crime shows.

I did decide to keep watching at least for now, but the other recent crime "limited series" (not quite mini-series, but I think these two shows are intended as short runs) "Secrets and Lies" is MUCH MUCH better, and even it isn't _great_ IMHO.

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:59 PM   #16
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Well, I realize I'm in the minority, but I like the second episode as well.

I'm just really enjoying the acting. I don't like the character that Felicy Huffman plays, but she plays it very well. And the mexican fellow that's about to be deported is fantastic, as is the blond meth girl. I'm just really drawn into the show based on that.

I'm also interested to see where it goes and what twists develop.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #17
Beryl

I'm still in but multitasking through it. The characters, though cliché, are developing nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I did decide to keep watching at least for now, but the other recent crime "limited series" (not quite mini-series, but I think these two shows are intended as short runs) "Secrets and Lies" is MUCH MUCH better, and even it isn't _great_ IMHO.

I tried to like S&L but can't. I hear the UK version on Netflix is good.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #18
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm watching it. But I'm really close to disposing of it because I cannot stand Felicity Huffman's character. But if it should just disappear one day and no new episodes were to ever appear again, I don't think I'd even notice. I enjoyed the pilot a lot, but the episode last night left me wondering why I even want to bother watching more.

dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:29 PM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I tried to like S&L but can't. I hear the UK version on Netflix is good.
I'm pretty sure Australia isn't part of the UK...

Old 03-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #20
series5orpremier

I'm out. Life's too short.

series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #21
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanstew View Post
Well, I realize I'm in the minority, but I like the second episode as well.

I'm just really enjoying the acting. I don't like the character that Felicy Huffman plays, but she plays it very well. And the mexican fellow that's about to be deported is fantastic, as is the blond meth girl. I'm just really drawn into the show based on that.

I'm also interested to see where it goes and what twists develop.
^^^This pretty much nails it for me.

It's enjoyable enough to keep watching.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #22
ADG
Allan

I like the acting, but it's much to "stylized" (over-directed) for my taste. It's as though the director is saying "look at what I can do". I much prefer straight-forward story telling and directing for this type of show. Also, while the main plot is fine they are moving in the direction of adding too many side plots that will not only detract from the story but make it that much more difficult to follow.

I'm going to watch a couple of more episodes in the hope it "settles down".

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:02 PM   #23
Tivo_60
NY State of Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by series5orpremier View Post
I'm out. Life's too short.
We hoped there was going to be a different crime each week, however, it looks like the whole series is just this one. We bailed half way into the second ep as they were getting too detailed with too many characters. BTW, Hutton needs to run a comb through his hair at least once. he looks like hell.

Tivo_60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:21 PM   #24
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

I'm really enjoying this series. Each personality is unpeeled layer by layer to reveal their multi-faceted and even nuanced character. Just when you think you know what cliched box to put each character into, something is revealed to make it not so. Much more complex story telling than typical for network TV.

Felicity Huffman is excellent in portraying a completely repellant, cold figure. Even if you can't stand her, it is interesting seeing how she got to this place.

Timothy Hutton's portrayal of a guy who has lost it and is trying to pull it back together and now his son is murdered is moving. Can't help but root for him as his ex-wife grinds him under her heel.

I'm looking forward to seeing the development of all the characters. Kind of doubting that I can predict, even if it looks familiar to begin with.

Who knows, maybe I'll like Barb Hanlon by the time it's over? (Nah...)

minimeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #25
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimeh View Post
I'm really enjoying this series. Each personality is unpeeled layer by layer to reveal their multi-faceted and even nuanced character. Just when you think you know what cliched box to put each character into, something is revealed to make it not so. Much more complex story telling than typical for network TV.

Felicity Huffman is excellent in portraying a completely repellant, cold figure. Even if you can't stand her, it is interesting seeing how she got to this place.

Timothy Hutton's portrayal of a guy who has lost it and is trying to pull it back together and now his son is murdered is moving. Can't help but root for him as his ex-wife grinds him under her heel.

I'm looking forward to seeing the development of all the characters. Kind of doubting that I can predict, even if it looks familiar to begin with.

Who knows, maybe I'll like Barb Hanlon by the time it's over? (Nah...)
Good review, and I pretty much agree. I find the writing and acting to be very compelling and moving.

My only beef is with the stylized quick-cut editing, such as when the junkie girlfriend woke up under the bridge after being raped and dumped after taking the drugs in the nightclub.

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:15 PM   #26
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
I disagree. The wife's mom is the stereotype. Grieving, praying, that's it. Huffman's character is the squeaky wheel advocating for her child. She's aggressive.

I liked the first two eps.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #27
Beryl

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Australia isn't part of the UK...

Ahh.. I was told it was a UK production -- like House of Cards. Thanks for the "correction".

Old 03-16-2015, 09:32 PM   #28
mattack

Sorry, I don't think there's a secrets & lies thread..

Hmm, just checked imdb. The original version was 6 episodes, the U.S. one is 10.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:51 AM   #29
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

There is at least one secrets & lies thread. Do a title search on either word.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:00 PM   #30
mattack

Watched 2nd episode. Nuked OP.

I think people would say that The Slap and Secrets & Lies are "soapier". I wouldn't necessarily disagree.. "American Crime" also just feels depressing, whereas the others are dramas to watch.