Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
lambertman
Not single!

I don't know about this new "WGN America" logo

http://www.wgnamerica.com/

The station probably needs a rebranding, but is this the best way?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
appleye1

TC CLUB MEMBER
I guess with the "America" addition they're trying to convey that they're available coast to coast, not just Chicago.

I'm not sure what they're trying to convey with the creepy anime eyes though!

TiVo user since 12/99
Yamms:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

appleye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

WGN America isn't a bad name.

The logo is just dumb. Besides for being creepy anime eyes, there is nothing about them that makes people think "WGN."

And of course, the tagline of "TV you can't ignore" is in some ways worse - because nothing about their programming backs that up. If anything, I could easily ignore the whole channel and I wouldn't miss anything.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
dlovearl
Guru Meditator

It certainly is an annoying "bug" that is difficult to ignore.

Thank you VH-1 for being the one of the first, if not the first to inflict bugs on the public...
dlovearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Not sure I've ever watched anything on WGN so it certainly is easy to ignore. Those eyes are horrible. That's not the type of thing you want staring back at you when you watch TV. I agree that the "America" part is probably a good idea, but the rest is not.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
appleye1

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
And of course, the tagline of "TV you can't ignore" is in some ways worse - because nothing about their programming backs that up. If anything, I could easily ignore the whole channel and I wouldn't miss anything.
I partially agree. I can't ignore Cubs baseball, but I can ignore everything else. Other than the Cubs it's just another indie TV station showing sitcoms and old movies.

TiVo user since 12/99
Yamms:

Old 05-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
lambertman
Not single!

Actually, I'm hoping for more old sitcoms. Next week, they're doing a special retro week with MTM, Taxi, WKRP, Kotter and Barney Miller. Wouldn't mind seeing any or all of those making the schedule. I could get behind WGNA being a de facto TVLand2 + Cubs.

and elsewhere
Old 05-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #8
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
WGN America isn't a bad name.

The logo is just dumb. Besides for being creepy anime eyes, there is nothing about them that makes people think "WGN."

Corner Gas? C'mon....that's worth it! They're the ones that brought CG to the U.S.

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:38 PM   #9
appleye1

TC CLUB MEMBER
I do sometimes like the watch the WGN news though. I'm glad they don't overlay it on the national feed like I heard WTBS used to do.

It's fun to watch sometimes. Murder, mayhem! And that wacky City Council! Plus Chicago is my favorite city and by watching the news I can pretend that I live there.

TiVo user since 12/99
Yamms:

Old 05-26-2008, 10:40 PM   #10
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleye1 View Post
I partially agree. I can't ignore Cubs baseball, but I can ignore everything else. Other than the Cubs it's just another indie TV station showing sitcoms and old movies.
There's a lot of buzz that WGN America will shortly drop all Chicago-oriented programming, including Cubs and White Sox baseball, and the WGN 9 news... nothing official, yet, however.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:42 PM   #11
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
There's a lot of buzz that WGN America will shortly drop all Chicago-oriented programming, including Cubs and White Sox baseball, and the WGN 9 news... nothing official, yet, however.
That ain't happening. They just signed on (within the past 60 days) as a partner to broadcast Chicago Blackhawks hockey games (along with Comcast) providing Chicago viewers with all away and home games next year.

XL4
Old 05-26-2008, 11:08 PM   #12
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
That ain't happening. They just signed on (within the past 60 days) as a partner to broadcast Chicago Blackhawks hockey games (along with Comcast) providing Chicago viewers with all away and home games next year.
That's apparently with WGN-9, the over-the-air CW affiliate in Chicago, IL.

http://wgntv.trb.com/about/station/w...,4619120.story

That does not look to affect WGN America, which is continuing it's evolution away from WGN-9. Eventually, it is said that WGN America will be completely separate from WGN-9, and have absolutely no Chicago-oriented programming at all.

(WGN-9 will continue to be Chicago-oriented, including carrying Chicago sports and news programming.)

ETA: The WGN America website confirms that the Blackhawk games will be exclusively on WGN-TV, channel 9:
Quote:
Q: Will Chicago Blackhawks hockey games be carried nationally on WGN America?
A: Unfortunately, the NHL's agreement with Versus prevents us from doing so.
http://www.wgnamerica.com/contact.html

Last edited by LoadStar : 05-27-2008 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:09 AM   #13
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I knew that

three for me.

XL4
Old 05-27-2008, 08:59 AM   #14
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
If anything, I could easily ignore the whole channel and I wouldn't miss anything.
You'd miss "Corner Gas" which would be an almighty shame

That said I hate all logos/onscreen graphics, so an ugly or obtrusive one is just status quo anymore.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #15
Alfer
WOOSAH!

I haven't watched WGN in maybe a decade...
Old 05-27-2008, 10:50 AM   #16
lambertman
Not single!

Someone needs to holler when "Corner Gas" starts over from the beginning. I don't want to jump in the middle.

and elsewhere
Old 05-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #17
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer2003 View Post
I haven't watched WGN in maybe a decade...
+1

WGN & the Atlanta station (WTBS?) were big (to me) in the early days of cable. There weren't all the networks we have now (Disc, A&E, Trav, yada), and other than HBO, there were the "super-stations" and a few others. So we watched.

As time has marched, the quality of cable (and I suppose satellite) has increased exponentially as the number of viewing options has increased. I can't remember the last time I watched any of the superstations. Or which ones are even still around.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:21 PM   #18
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
Someone needs to holler when "Corner Gas" starts over from the beginning. I don't want to jump in the middle.
Really doesn't matter (plus WGN doesn't air them in order 'cept on Sunday night I think -- they run them all week out of order). There may be two or three eps in the first four seasons that would "require" previous knowledge from earlier episodes. You can basically start anywhere.

Check out this thread. There are comments about whether you need to watch them in order. Oh, and see this site too.

XL4
Old 05-28-2008, 11:29 AM   #19
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

More on the new branding of the Superstation in this Tribune column today.

XL4
Old 05-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #20
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Really doesn't matter (plus WGN doesn't air them in order 'cept on Sunday night I think -- they run them all week out of order). There may be two or three eps in the first four seasons that would "require" previous knowledge from earlier episodes. You can basically start anywhere.
Yep. Corner Gas has no larger story arcs. Each episode is it's own thing and with no casting changes, it can be difficult to see a difference between a 1st season and 5th season show.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:55 AM   #21
FilmCritic3000

It looks like WGN America is planning to unveil yet ANOTHER new logo. Gee, I guess because the second one wasn't getting the job done.

You can see the new logo on the banner ad for WWE Superstars on WGN America's website.

http://www.wgnamerica.com

Apparently, the new logo will debut on April 15th, from what I can tell.

According to Tribune Company Chief Innovation Office Lee Abrams, WGN is now known as WGN America because...

""WHY 'AMERICA'? Because there's more to life than Hollywood and Manhattan," Abrams writes. "The channel will speak to Middle America. TV for the average person living in the average community. Interesting and exciting, but on Middle America terms."

He describes the programming as "diverse as America itself."

"From Wrestling to Star Trek to the Beverly Hillbillies," Abrams writes. "All over the road...and proud of it!"

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pu...es_america.php

And then he got really surreal with this whole piece. I mean, *REALLY* surreal.

Was any of that even decipherable?
Old 03-30-2009, 04:30 PM   #22
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Smile I'd like to see WGN America offer more of their original programming content.

I'd like to see WGN America offer more of their original programming content.

For instance, they promoted a show on Diabetes and a program regarding the Randy Hundley baseball camp and so far this year, neither program aired on WGN America.

It seems to me that when they have interesting original programs, they could stand to pre-empt Funniest Home Videos.

I'd also prefer to see their morning news show over the Beverly Hillbillies.
Go figure.

Any chance they could bring back the BJ and Dirty Dragon show?

http://www.chicagotelevision.com/wfldtv.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_BJ_...ty_Dragon_Show

Share an online coupon here

DianaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #23
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I want more Corner Gas.

XL4
Old 03-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #24
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmCritic3000 View Post
You can see the new logo on the banner ad for WWE Superstars on WGN America's website.
The "WGN" portion looks like a neat retro logo. Unfortunately, the "America" portion doesn't match at all. (Admittedly, a little hard to tell at that small size.)
Old 12-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #25
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Arrow WGN news leaving WGN America

"The conversion also means the end of all local newscasts, sports programming and Illinois Lottery drawings on WGN America." http://www.robertfeder.com/2014/12/1...me-to-chicago/

Old 12-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #26
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Arrow

"WGN America will no longer be a Chicago cable "superstation" as of this coming Monday. Starting next week, there will be different feeds for different time zones. About half of the markets that receive WGN America will see an immediate change, while others will see the changes taking place a bit slower. The station plans on adding more and more original programming and becoming a bigger basic cable/satellite station, very much like how TBS evolved from an Atlanta "superstation" to a basic cable giant in the late 1990s. This also means that the Chicago-centric programming, such as newscasts,... will be going away. The midday newscasts and lottery drawings will be gone next week and the 4:00am newscasts will be gone by next month. "

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news...e-tv-much-more

Old 12-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #27
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Attached Images
File Type: gif skilling sky.gif (166.4 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg wgn morning news crew copy.jpg (55.6 KB, 135 views)
File Type: gif tom skilling white sox copy.gif (75.4 KB, 19 views)

Old 12-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #28
cmontyburns
Excellent.

I'm a cord-cutter so I don't get WGN anymore, but I'm from Chicago, and I really used to enjoy seeing the local newscast on the channel. Reminded me of home. Too bad.

(And I always enjoyed the dissonance of knowing that Tom Skilling's brother is Jeff Skilling, former Enron CEO, now in prison for a long long time on many charges related to the collapse of that company.)
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #29
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #30
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
...(And I always enjoyed the dissonance of knowing that Tom Skilling's brother is Jeff Skilling, former Enron CEO, now in prison for a long long time on many charges related to the collapse of that company.)
Tom said that he and the Skilling family had no understanding of what Jeff was up to or why he got in trouble. 'spose they were happy that he was so successful.

Tom Skilling is so valuable that he is also the highest paid Tribune Company employee. He makes more than the CEO.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote