TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

Heroes Reborn

I've been seeing ads. Anybody know anything about it?

Old 06-10-2015, 08:39 PM   #2
JYoung
Series 3

Yep.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=514937

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:37 PM   #3
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
With Tim Kring involved, there is no chance I will watch this.

He had his first chance with Heroes, and he failed miserably at the end of Season 1. Great show, solid "A", with a "D-" finale. And downhill from there.

Then this past year, he was half of the team that created "Dig" on USA. Almost identical process... a show that starts strong, has an interesting premise, and then just falls flat when it's time to end.

He clearly can come up with, and put together, a really interesting series. He just doesn't know how to end them. And sadly, that's where the money shot is.

I'll never watch anything he does again. Two chances is all anyone gets.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:37 AM   #4
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
With Tim Kring involved, there is no chance I will watch this.

He had his first chance with Heroes, and he failed miserably at the end of Season 1. Great show, solid "A", with a "D-" finale. And downhill from there.
I thought he wanted it to be a one season show, but the execs saw the high ratings and pressured him to change the ending and carry it on to a 2nd season

jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:20 AM   #5
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
I thought he wanted it to be a one season show, but the execs saw the high ratings and pressured him to change the ending and carry it on to a 2nd season
Actually, my understanding was he always wanted a multi-season show, but he wanted each season to feature an entirely new cast. Then that changed for some reason: I always thought it was the network executives pressuring him to keep the same cast, but Wikipedia says "his motivation changed when he realized how popular the original cast was with audiences".

In any event, I think that became the downfall of the show. He built some really powerful characters...too powerful. Spoilers in case someone wants to watch the original still:
Spoiler:
As Hiro mastered his time travel abilities, it would become a simple matter of "Hiro can solve every problem just by time travelling", so instead he became this blundering idiot who never could master his skill. Peter's skill was pretty powerful too, so that had some similar "he cant control it" stuff, and then since it was so powerful, didn't they had the bad guy steal his abilities, so he was powerless for some time? I don't recall anymore

Anyway, it would have been great to build up these characters who become powerful, save the world at the end of the season, and then we start over with some new characters next season, learning about their powers, mastering their skills, solving a different crisis. But he didn't go that way.

LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:34 AM   #6
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

That's why every time I hear that the original cast may be in this one, I get more likely to not try it. Or try it but not pay that much attention.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:53 AM   #7
mr.unnatural

From what I've seen so far, it looks like there will only be 2 or 3 of the original cast members in the reboot. Masi Oka (aka Hiro Nakamura) and Jack Coleman (Claire Bennett's father) are among the ones that are returning. Here's an excerpt of the show description:

Quote:
The saga behind the 2006 breakout series "Heroes" will continue this fall as creator Tim Kring returns to the fold and develops new layers to his original superhero concept.

This highly anticipated 13-episode event series will reconnect with the basic elements of the show’s first season, where ordinary people were waking up to the fact that they had extraordinary abilities.

Original cast member Jack Coleman will reprise his role as H.R.G., Jimmy Jean-Louis returns as The Haitian, and Masi Oka will be back as Hiro Nakamura. Also joining the cast are Zachary Levi (of NBC's "Chuck" and the Marvel franchise "Thor"), Ryan Guzman ("The Boy Next Door"), Robbie Kay ("Once Upon a Time"), Danika Yarosh ("Shameless"), Judith Shekoni ("The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2"), Kiki Sukezane ("Death Yankee 3"), Henry Zebrowski (NBC’s "A to Z") and Gatlin Green ("Criminal Minds").

With the return of "Heroes Reborn," NBC will launch a digital series prior to the premiere that will introduce new characters and storylines that will take the "Heroes" phenomenon to new places. NBC’s digital platforms, as well as Hulu and video-on-demand, will debut the online prequel to the series prior to the show’s premiere.

Tim Kring, Peter Elkoff and James Middleton will serve as executive producers.

Produced by Imperative Entertainment, in association with Universal Television, "Heroes Reborn" will air in fall 2015 on NBC.

mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:18 AM   #8
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
From what I've seen so far, it looks like there will only be 2 or 3 of the original cast members in the reboot. Masi Oka (aka Hiro Nakamura) and Jack Coleman (Claire Bennett's father) are among the ones that are returning. Here's an excerpt of the show description:
So perhaps this is Tim Kring taking a stab at what he originally intended to do with season 2.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #9
andyw715

If Hayden is in it, I'd watch. Otherwise, pass.

andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:27 AM   #10
Alfer

I don't know if I have it in me to try this out since they burned us so bad on the last go round.

Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #11
Jolt
Disgruntled Member

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was late to watch the original series but it was pretty damn good. I look forward to this.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #12
hummingbird_206

Season 1 was awesome. After that, big bag o suck.

I wonder where they'll start with this one? Redo season 1 or take up where they left off before? I'll give it a try but don't hold out much hope.

hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:50 AM   #13
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
Season 1 was awesome. After that, big bag o suck.

I wonder where they'll start with this one? Redo season 1 or take up where they left off before? I'll give it a try but don't hold out much hope.
I'm thinking more or less simultaneous timeline, just having other's discover their powers at the same time. As I recall, I think we knew that HRG (Mr Bennet) was involved with other heroes beyond the ones featured in the original series (correct?), so he could easily fit in that way. Not sure how Hiro would fit in.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:14 PM   #14
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I find it hard to believe that it was 2006! I'm it, at least to start with, but we'll have to see where this will go.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #15
LooseWiring

If Chuck is in it I'm in.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:42 PM   #16
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
and
Sendhil Ramamurthy - Mohinder
Noah Gray-Cabey - Micah
Greg Grunberg - Parkman
Jimmy Jean-Louis - the Haitian

scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:32 PM   #17
danterner
Not it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:14 PM   #18
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Here are some who aren't coming back, according to Entertainment Weekly:
Hayden Panettiere (Claire)
Ali Larter (Niki)
Adrian Pasdar (Nathan)
Milo Ventimiglia (Peter)
Zachary Quinto (Sylar)

That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:01 AM   #19
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Here are some who aren't coming back, according to Entertainment Weekly:
Hayden Panettiere (Claire)
Ali Larter (Niki)
Adrian Pasdar (Nathan)
Milo Ventimiglia (Peter)
Zachary Quinto (Sylar)
The people who are back have already been named here so, anyone not already named isn't back for this.

scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:09 AM   #20
classicX
Don't scream.

It's not a simultaneous timeline, it is after the events of the first series. Claire showed the world that heroes exist, so this will be the aftermath of that. (A la x-men)

Old 06-12-2015, 06:24 AM   #21
wprager

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseWiring View Post
If Chuck is in it I'm in.

I hope they make it a little less violent this time out because my daughters (turning 13 in late fall) will definitely want to watch because of Zach.

wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:26 AM   #22
hairyblue
A good Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
and
Sendhil Ramamurthy - Mohinder
Noah Gray-Cabey - Micah
Greg Grunberg - Parkman
Jimmy Jean-Louis - the Haitian
I'm in. I love Greg Grunberg and I really want to see how Micah is doing. It will be like catching up with old friends and finding they have new friends. Maybe their new friends will be interesting.

Own 2 Tivo Premieres. OTA
Fired DTV for expensive rates on Sept. 2012
hairyblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:28 AM   #23
wprager

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicX View Post
It's not a simultaneous timeline, it is after the events of the first series. Claire showed the world that heroes exist, so this will be the aftermath of that. (A la x-men)
I never watched the last season (or at least not all of it -- don't really remember if I bailed the last season or the one before that) so would someone be willing provide a brief (spoiler-tagged) summary? I started losing interest with the amnesiac-Peter-in-Ireland story line and completely tuned out when the carnival folk appeared.

wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:59 AM   #24
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
I never watched the last season (or at least not all of it -- don't really remember if I bailed the last season or the one before that) so would someone be willing provide a brief (spoiler-tagged) summary? I started losing interest with the amnesiac-Peter-in-Ireland story line and completely tuned out when the carnival folk appeared.
It sounds like we jumped ship at the same time.

| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:48 PM   #25
cybergrimes
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
It sounds like we jumped ship at the same time.
Ditto! Ugh, I've never gone from so enthralled to so "meh" with a single show.

cybergrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:53 PM   #26
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Heh, every time I see this thread title I think of the gawdawful Marvel Comics event back in the 90s, when they turned four of their top books over to be rebooted by the Image Comics people. It lasted a year before they finally gave up and restored the original versions...

Old 06-21-2015, 08:23 AM   #27
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergrimes View Post
Ditto! Ugh, I've never gone from so enthralled to so "meh" with a single show.

LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #28
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
The original run got screwed over by the writers strike. They cut season 2 in half leaving all sorts of loose ends and then never mentioned any of them again in season 3. I think they also scrwed themselves up with all the time travel. Time travel is a tricky thing to get right. Especially when they go forward because it locks them into a specific direction for the show or forces them to ignore stuff we're expecting to happen.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #29
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The original run got screwed over by the writers strike. They cut season 2 in half leaving all sorts of loose ends and then never mentioned any of them again in season 3. I think they also scrwed themselves up with all the time travel. Time travel is a tricky thing to get right. Especially when they go forward because it locks them into a specific direction for the show or forces them to ignore stuff we're expecting to happen.
Sorry, no. Season 2 was a steaming pile of crap from the beginning.

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #30
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Won't they have the same problem that the original series did, which is that they basically have to find lame excuses for Hiro to not use his powers in order to make his powers not so powerful that the entire plot makes no sense?

TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote