TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2016, 10:33 PM   #1
sonnik
Innovations.
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Posts: 857
Mr. Robot "eps2.5_h4ndshake.sme" OAD 8/17/2016

Well, that episode moved the storyline.

-If Elliot really killed Tyrell Wellick, who sent Joanna the phone in the earlier episode?

-Confirmation of the "trash piling up" comments from earlier ... maybe that explains the gas mask and surgical mask on the subway in an earlier episode, but not why Dom's assistant at the FBI had the dream (if that was a significant detail). I'm wondering if they'll continue to let society crumble in the show...

-What Ray really was will need to be better explained based on the ending of this episode.

-Leon to the rescue.

-Confirmation Elliot was perceiving his reality differently. (Finally).


Last edited by sonnik; 08-17-2016 at 10:44 PM.
sonnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:45 PM   #2
vman41
Omega Consumer
 
vman41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 9,222
Anybody else freeze frame the chess board to see if Ray really was going to lose the game?

vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:15 AM   #3
getbak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,622
Confirmation of what people have been speculating since the beginning, right down to the odd light on the wall of the doctor's "office" that wasn't there last season.

My guess is that Ray was a guard.

Dom mentioned that it was the Fourth of July. Does that mean it's only been 2 months since "5/9" or has it been a full year? 2 months feels too short, but a year feels too long.


Now that we know where Elliot really is, the next question is what was in for? It doesn't seem like it's either the F-Society attack or Wellick's murder.

__________________
When you do this without getting punched, you'll have more fun.
getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:03 AM   #4
pgogborn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Now that we know where Elliot really is, the next question is what was in for? It doesn't seem like it's either the F-Society attack or Wellick's murder.
I think it was for something comparatively trivial, say violation of the parole conditions set after he trashed the server room; dog stealing. For sure it seems he has already got his release papers.

For me the big reveal is White Rose protecting him in prison

Leon to Elliot
614 00:40:34,977 --> 00:40:38,779 Gonna get a letter on Tuesday.
615 00:40:38,814 --> 00:40:41,081 Do what it says.
616 00:40:51,627 --> 00:40:53,360 Hey, yo, man,
617 00:40:53,395 --> 00:40:57,798 when you see Whiterose,
618 00:40:57,833 --> 00:41:00,501 make sure you say I did you good.

Is Elliott going to meet White Rose in person? Does he already know who White Rose is?

pgogborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:09 AM   #5
pgogborn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnik View Post
...
-If Elliot really killed Tyrell Wellick, who sent Joanna the phone in the earlier episode?
So far I think all we have got is he shot him, not kill him.

145 00:08:48,014 --> 00:08:50,682 The popcorn,
146 00:08:50,717 --> 00:08:54,286 that's where Darlene said she hid that gun.
147 00:08:54,321 --> 00:08:58,623 And I didn't want to, but...
148 00:09:02,629 --> 00:09:05,963 I shot him.

pgogborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:02 AM   #6
ej42137
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnik View Post
-What Ray really was will need to be better explained based on the ending of this episode.
It's pretty conclusive he's a supervising guard, in order to place Elliot in and out of solitary as he did.

I just wonder if Elliot will keep his promise not to lie to us again.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #7
pgogborn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
I just wonder if Elliot will keep his promise not to lie to us again.
He made a promise to Shayla. He didn't keep it. As a consequence Shayla died

pgogborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #8
sonnik
Innovations.
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Posts: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Dom mentioned that it was the Fourth of July. Does that mean it's only been 2 months since "5/9" or has it been a full year? 2 months feels too short, but a year feels too long.
No, it's been two months. There was a scene shortly after the successive commercial break where a video screen displayed 7/7.

In addition, ECorp Risk Management's Director made reference to the fact that they were about to start taking heat for the Flint, Michigan water crisis - probably around Q1 of 2016.

sonnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #9
sonnik
Innovations.
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Posts: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
It's pretty conclusive he's a supervising guard, in order to place Elliot in and out of solitary as he did.
I would assume it's something to that extent; however, I wouldn't say it was conclusive. Perhaps he was even the warden. However, he seemed to have quite a few associates coming to his defense.

Was that really the FBI that came in? Or some prison agency that Elliot had informed ... people seemed to treat Elliot as a snitch after that.

I'm still not certain here because Ray was hanging out on the basketball court as an observer earlier on.

I'm not sure if these associates were inmates, or other guards.

The guys that Leon got rid of were seeking retribution for Ray's capture - were these guards also? I'm thinking no, but it's unclear on what happened to Leon after he saved Elliot.

sonnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:30 AM   #10
pgogborn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
It's pretty conclusive he's a supervising guard, in order to place Elliot in and out of solitary as he did.
He was married to a smarter wife and wasn't smart enough to survive after she died.

His Tor website made a lot of money, enough to bribe a supervising guard.

pgogborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:32 AM   #11
DancnDude
Thrice as nice
 
DancnDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Madison, WI, USA
Posts: 8,264
TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm kinda mixed as to if I liked this twist or not. On one hand, this makes a lot more sense. On the other, I feel like the first 5(?) episodes were a waste and certainly parts were just made up to mess with us instead of actually advancing any sort of plot.

__________________
XBox Live Gamertag - DancnDude
Wii U - Barrid
DancnDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:27 PM   #12
markp99
TakoKichi
 
markp99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 10,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
On the other, I feel like the first 5(?) episodes were a waste and certainly parts were just made up to mess with us instead of actually advancing any sort of plot.
This is exactly where I'm at. I'm not totally engaged with the story or characters this time around. This large chunk of S02 leaves me feeling manipulated, and not in a good way

markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:02 PM   #13
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 37,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41 View Post
Anybody else freeze frame the chess board to see if Ray really was going to lose the game?
I take it as an article of faith, given how persnickety these writers are about computer stuff, that if I were a chess geek the game they were playing would be significant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgogborn View Post
He made a promise to Shayla. He didn't keep it. As a consequence Shayla died
Oh, crap...you mean if he lies we die?!?

__________________
“Stab her gently!”—DeBlanc
Rob Helmerichs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:19 PM   #14
robojerk
Registered User
 
robojerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Laguna Hills CA
Posts: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Oh, crap...you mean if he lies we die?!?
High stakes viewing...

__________________
TiVo Roamio - Lifetime Subscription

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
robojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #15
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 37,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
High stakes viewing...
Maybe if we don't watch, though, we'll be exempt, since he won't be lying to US...

[Mr Robot ratings plummet]



By the way, I don't remember seeing this here, but the show has already been renewed for Season 3.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/mr-r...il-1201838194/

__________________
“Stab her gently!”—DeBlanc
Rob Helmerichs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:26 AM   #16
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 46,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
I'm kinda mixed as to if I liked this twist or not. On one hand, this makes a lot more sense. On the other, I feel like the first 5(?) episodes were a waste and certainly parts were just made up to mess with us instead of actually advancing any sort of plot.
So does that mean you didn't expect this reveal?

I hope they tell us why he was in there. There wasn't time for a trial and he was only in for two months, so the probation violation thing makes sense.

I'm a little confused about what really happened with the thugs and Leon. Did that actually happen? Did Leon kill a bunch of guys in the yard and nobody seemed to care? No repercussions on Elliot? Are the people who are pissed that Elliot got the site busted only in the prison, or will he have to watch his back on the outside as well.

If Ray knew what Elliot was going to do as soon as he gave him access to the computer again, why did he let him do it? Because he felt guilty about what was happening on the site now that he finally looked and knew what it was?

We previously saw a scene where Ray went to RT's house and roughed him up. That clearly wasn't part of Elliot's imagination. So who was RT and how was he getting into the prison to help with the computer stuff?

__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:38 AM   #17
cherry ghost
Registered User
 
cherry ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,182
At this point I'm not so sure Ray even had a website. Could have been some other illegal activity within the prison that Elliot was somehow able to help with and in his mind was a website.

cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #18
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 46,459
Alan Sepinwall has a good interview with Sam Esmail regarding the first half of the season up through this episode:

http://m.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watch...n-2s-big-twist

__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:17 AM   #19
cheesesteak
Meh.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 15 mins from Philly
Posts: 28,768
I'd been wondering what happened to Leon.

Angela's scenes make me cringe. I can't wait for them to be over. She's as creepy and soul dead as the main character in The Girlfriend Experience.

Mrs Wellick wore the hell out of that white dress in the opening scene but other than that, I have no idea how her character fits into this season's plot lines other than to waste 5 or 6 minutes that could have been more productively given to someone else (not named Angela).

__________________

"I handcuffed lightning and threw thunder in jail." - Muhammed Ali

Last edited by cheesesteak; 08-19-2016 at 10:23 AM.
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:45 AM   #20
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 46,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Mrs Wellick wore the hell out of that white dress in the opening scene but other than that, I have no idea how her character fits into this season's plot lines other than to waste 5 or 6 minutes that could have been more productively given to someone else (not named Angela).
Well, there's some kind of mystery going on there with Tyrell Wellick being missing (and apparently shot), with Joanna getting gifts and phone calls presumably from Tyrell, with Joanna paying off the parking lot attendant to protect Elliot (and then having home killed when it looked like he was going to crack), and with Joanna manipulating this DJ. So far, it all seems disjointed because we don't know where it's going, but I'm sure it will all become clear soon enough.

Plus, the more time Stephanie Corneliussen is on my screen, the happier I am.

__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:32 AM   #21
3D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Plantation, FL.
Posts: 809
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm of the belief that certain shows have been all but ruined by reddit and tv show forums with this being one of them. Not ruined for me, mind you, but for those who get upset when a so-called twist is deemed obvious. The best twists are obvious in hindsight. Thus, when you happen to stumble upon someone else's theory that turns out to be right, it's easy to brush it off as having been obvious. I read and participate in these threads last year and someone correctly predicted the Fight Club like twist very early on. I have no idea if I would have guessed it on my own and seeing it play out did not take away my enjoyment (I also had no idea that Darlene would be his sister).

After the first episode this year, I decided to avoid any internet discussions of Mr. Robot because I wanted to test out how much I would figure out by just watching the show on my own without over analyzing every detail. Although it was obvious to me that certain aspects of what we saw with Elliot were in his head, I had no clue as to the extent. The twist blew me away but even watching it, I was pretty sure that going into the same forums I have previously avoided I would run into comment after comment about how it was about time they revealed this obvious twist.

As someone who is traditionally pretty good at guessing where a movie or tv show is headed, I can at least offer one piece of anecdotal evidence that the prison reveal was not as obvious as the forum posters are making it out to be (this forum has not been that bad, but others I've seen are complaining about how easy this was to see coming). It should have been obvious, and had I been privy to the theory that turned out to be right, it would have been more obvious week after week. But without the benefit of reading someone else's theory, my self-imposed exile has shown me that at least for me (who has a decent track record) the extent of the twist was far from obvious.

3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:47 AM   #22
robojerk
Registered User
 
robojerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Laguna Hills CA
Posts: 2,245
I think the twist was obvious, but hidden at the same time. There were tons of clues, it was filmed to look and feel a certain way, like the change in the look of his doctor's office, the vertical wall paper. It was subtle, so if you weren't looking you'd miss it, but it was all there.

I was actually starting to think that the theories were wrong actually because it kept going for so long. I was thinking that if it were true they would've shown us by now, because that's kind of big mind trick.

__________________
TiVo Roamio - Lifetime Subscription

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
robojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #23
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 37,156
The only thing that kept me from being 100% convinced was Ray...his storyline didn't seem to fit the prison theory very well. And I'm still not sure how it does! I'll be curious to see how...

__________________
“Stab her gently!”—DeBlanc
Rob Helmerichs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:06 PM   #24
3D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Plantation, FL.
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I think the twist was obvious, but hidden at the same time. There were tons of clues, it was filmed to look and feel a certain way, like the change in the look of his doctor's office, the vertical wall paper. It was subtle, so if you weren't looking you'd miss it, but it was all there.

I was actually starting to think that the theories were wrong actually because it kept going for so long. I was thinking that if it were true they would've shown us by now, because that's kind of big mind trick.
But that's kind of my point. The fact that it was obvious if you knew the theory tells us nothing about whether it was obvious. A good twist should be obvious if you go back and watch after knowing about it. Unless you came up with the theory on your own, you can't really say whether it was obvious. I'd love to see a poll of those who never read the theory as to whether those people thought it was obvious. For me, it wasn't.

3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #25
cheesesteak
Meh.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 15 mins from Philly
Posts: 28,768
Wasn't obvious to me but that's not unusual.

__________________

"I handcuffed lightning and threw thunder in jail." - Muhammed Ali
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #26
sonnik
Innovations.
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA
Posts: 857
Regarding the poll above...

From the Episode zero/one two parter thread:

This is what I posted after watching the episode a second time. I had not seen any discussion elsewhere at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnik View Post
Noticed something odd about Elliot's environment.

It's almost as though he's doing some sort of jail time or psychiatric supervision.
  • His "program" follows a strict pattern...
  • Krista - asked "why your mom?" instead of "why are you living with your mom?"
  • The references about being seen by Darlene implied her visits were not frequent, and Angela wasn't mentioned. Gideon may have been a visitor.
  • Leon seems a little off. Ray seems a little off.
  • His other primary settings were the diner (which could have been the way Elliot perceives a cafeteria) and the basketball court.
  • He spends time cleaning, and doesn't seem to be worried about income.
  • We see him walking down a row of town homes, but this could be the way he perceives cells.

In the last episode of Season 1, Krista's ex stated that Elliot was being investigated, but they did not have enough evidence against him as Elliot proxied through Estonia - and they wouldn't be able to get that as evidence unless the government of Estonia fell, and it did.

So, while they don't know who is behind 5/9, they may have brought in Elliot for the small petty hacks he may have done for his personal self interests.
Even after this, I was more in the mindset that he had himself voluntarily committed, as it seemed like there were times he was moving about to his own liking.

sonnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #27
3D
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Plantation, FL.
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnik View Post
Regarding the poll above...

From the Episode zero/one two parter thread:

This is what I posted after watching the episode a second time. I had not seen any discussion elsewhere at this point.



Even after this, I was more in the mindset that he had himself voluntarily committed, as it seemed like there were times he was moving about to his own liking.
You are to be congratulated. Don't get me wrong, someone came up with the theory in the first place so certainly there are those that were capable of figuring it out on their own. I just get bothered by this general consensus that the twist was so obvious when I think you are in the minority (i.e., someone who figured it out on their own). In my experience, the vast majority of people simply aren't that smart. I will say that you are the first poster I've come across to claim to have figured it out without having read the theories. I do not say this to doubt your claim, but simply to support my assertion that the twist was not as obvious as many would have us believe.

ETA: Ironically, it was an earlier post by you in that thread that prompted me to check out (the one where you said Leon must be real because of how much he knew about Seinfeld). I realized from that point that threads on this show were going to contain theory after theory about what was real and what wasn't and that I'd rather be surprised having been somewhat spoiled last year. If I read for two or three more posts, I would have been exposed to the fan theory from your earlier posting that you re-quoted above.


Last edited by 3D; 08-20-2016 at 01:36 PM.
3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #28
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 46,459
The red light on the wall was the biggest clue. It wasn't on the wall of the doctor's office during S1 but it was on the wall of her office during S2. Also, from what we knew of Elliot from S1, he's a total recluse and doesn't associate with anyone if he can help it. Therefore, he would never be sitting at a table for multiple meals a day listening to someone talk about Seinfeld if he had any choice in the matter.

Another question and a theory:

Q. During the conversation between Angela and Darlene during this episode, it seems that Angela came to the realization that Darlene is with fsociety and is behind the 5/9 hack. She talks about how she remembered the movie and the masks and finally put it together and she basically accuses Darlene who doesn't respond, which is pretty much an admission. But if Angela didn't know before now that Darlene was with fsociety, what did she think she was helping Darlene with when she agreed to help hack the FBI in the last episode.

T. S1 ended with someone knocking on Elliot's door. What if the knock on his door was some law enforcement agency that knew of Elliot's computer prowess due to his prior issues when he destroyed the server room. What if they enlisted Elliot to go into the prison undercover in order to get close to Ray and bust his website. What if Elliot agreed because he was overwhelmed by the 5/9 hack and the revelation that Mr. Robot was all in his head and he simply wanted an excuse to get away from computers and try to come to grips with everything.

__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #29
JYoung
Series 3
 
JYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 27,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
The only thing that kept me from being 100% convinced was Ray...his storyline didn't seem to fit the prison theory very well. And I'm still not sure how it does! I'll be curious to see how...
I sort of wrote off the Prison idea because of Ray and his dog.
Despite Cool Hand Luke (and the fact that Elliot is in the New York area, perhaps down the road from Litchfield), I don't think it would be common for a dog to be in prison, whether it belonged to a prisoner or a guard.
(And then what's the deal with Pyro Girl?)

__________________
Member of the TiVoShanan Fan Club!

"I aim to misbehave"

Last edited by JYoung; 08-19-2016 at 03:09 PM.
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:56 PM   #30
pgogborn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
...
I sort of wrote off the Prison idea because of Ray and his dog.
It is possible that the dog wasn't really there but Ray spent a lot of time talking about his dog in order to make a connection with Elliott - one of the reasons why Elliot could be in prison is he stole a dog in order to give it a better home.

pgogborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump







Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Advertisements





TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media


(C) 2016 DBNet - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.
Page generated in 0.19912601 seconds (66.86% PHP - 33.14% MySQL) with 17 queries