Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-27-2015, 11:29 PM   #1
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Mr. Robot (S01E01) "Pilot" - Preview of new Summer series on USA

USA has the full pilot episode online, and it's available via various VOD and digital sources. It actually premieres on the channel on Wednesday, June 24, 2015.

Forbes has a pretty good article on the pilot: http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillb...ot-usa-review/

If you can tell by the title, they liked it...

'Mr. Robot' Review: The Best Show Of The Summer And On Track To Be A Modern Classic

And after watching it I really have to agree; it was engaging right from the beginning. And it was just refreshing for some reason -- a good approach to telling a good story.

And it was amazing to listen to a drama that has computer hacking and cyber security as a major component that didn't resort to spewing out a bunch of so-obviously-meaningless gibberish and pretending it was technical speak. Even the various things shown on computer monitors wasn't a stretch and had some reasonable basis in real life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:30 AM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I mostly liked it...aside from the cognitive dissonance of a prolonged rant against consumer culture appearing on commercial television, the beating heart of consumer culture.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:34 AM   #3
Enrique

Loved this first episode. Loved how they used the side E for Evil corp(Also used by Enron). Can't wait for it to air and hope it has a long run.

I also love their website. http://www.whoismrrobot.com/

Last edited by Enrique; 05-28-2015 at 06:43 AM.
Enrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
mr.unnatural

I heard good things about this show a while back. I already had it penciled in as one of the new summer series to record. I just hope it fares better than every other Christian Slater show that has come before this. He doesn't have a good track record for longevity in a TV series, except perhaps for Archer.

mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrique View Post
i also love their website. http://www.whoismrrobot.com/
Code:
<!--
\   //~~\ |   |    /\  |~~\|~~  |\  | /~~\~~|~~    /\  |  /~~\ |\  ||~~
 \ /|    ||   |   /__\ |__/|--  | \ ||    | |     /__\ | |    || \ ||--
  |  \__/  \_/   /    \|  \|__  |  \| \__/  |    /    \|__\__/ |  \||__
-->

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #6
caslu

I liked this SO much more than expected, hope it sticks around.

caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:40 PM   #7
DLiquid
Progressive User

I was intrigued by the commercials for this a while back. Looking forward to it.

DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:53 AM   #8
markp99
TakoKichi

Liked the pilot, though a bit dark.

My wife asked, "Are they really saying 'Evil Corp'?" I replied it must just be a nickname, from the the big "E" logo. Then I saw the poster with the name "Evil Corp" spelled out. How odd they made the decision to be so direct. Maybe the CEO's name is Mr. Greedy Badman?

markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:02 AM   #9
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
My wife asked, "Are they really saying 'Evil Corp'?" I replied it must just be a nickname, from the the big "E" logo. Then I saw the poster with the name "Evil Corp" spelled out. How odd they made the decision to be so direct. Maybe the CEO's name is Mr. Greedy Badman?
The poster was a hallucination (at one point, I think we saw one morph from E-Corp to Evil Corp)...

Remember, our narrator/viewpoint character is insane, so we can't entirely trust what we are seeing...

Old 05-29-2015, 06:12 AM   #10
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
The poster was a hallucination (at one point, I think we saw one morph from E-Corp to Evil Corp)...

Remember, our narrator/viewpoint character is insane, so we can't entirely trust what we are seeing...
Ahh, you may be right! The hallucinations/voices are an interesting aspect of the show. Hopefully they meter its usage.

markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:18 AM   #11
Gunnyman
Just a boring dude

That was one of the best produced most polished pilots I've ever seen.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:50 AM   #12
wprager

I'm not at all a spoilerphobe, but shouldn't "spoilers" be included in the title (or use spoiler tags)?

wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:56 AM   #13
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
I'm not at all a spoilerphobe, but shouldn't "spoilers" be included in the title (or use spoiler tags)?
Not required for an episode thread, which this is clearly labeled as...

Old 05-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #14
MikeCC
TiVotee

I watched the DirecTV On Demand pilot.

I hated it. Intensely. Liked quite a few of the supporting characters, but I loathe the lead, both the actor and the role. The tone is way too dark and mind-numbingly depressing, and the "income distribution" idea from Christian Slater's character is simplistic and incredibly unfair.

I had already set up a season pass, but I quickly cancelled it. Not wasting my time on this steaming pile.

MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:25 PM   #15
zalusky

It seems to be the cool thing these days to have all the characters smoke to emphasize their anti-establishment position. I thought we were past all that.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:11 PM   #16
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I don't normally comment on TV shows, but I watched the Pilot last night on OnDemand and absolutely loved it. Loved how dark it was, reminded me of the original Matrix movie, which is one of my all time favorites.

I can't wait to see where this goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
Ahh, you may be right! The hallucinations/voices are an interesting aspect of the show. Hopefully they meter its usage.
The silent self discussions is what really drew me in.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #17
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

[to us] "Tell me you're seeing this too..."

Old 05-30-2015, 09:05 PM   #18
domat

Seems fairly obvious that it is "Fight Club" With slater and him.

domat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:11 AM   #19
DLiquid
Progressive User

I thought this was fantastic. It reminded me a little of Donnie Darko, but strangely, what it reminded me most of was Risky Business, due to that synth-driven soundtrack and narration. Great soundtrack, great atmosphere. A lot happened, but it was a bit slow moving. Still, I'm interested in the story, and the guy playing the lead seems perfect for the part.

I'm pretty sure I haven't liked Christian Slater in anything since Heathers, and I was worried he was going to ruin this for me, but he didn't really bug me.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:01 AM   #20
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
The tone is way too dark and mind-numbingly depressing, and the "income distribution" idea from Christian Slater's character is simplistic and incredibly unfair.
So you support the idea of double-digit interest rates on credit cards in a depressed economy? It basically amounts to legalized theft. Financial institutions that get bailouts from the government using taxpayer's money was just an insult to America. Every CEO from those banks should be behind bars. The fact that they get away with screwing the public on a daily basis is what's really depressing.

Mr Robot, go for it.

Absolutely love this show. The only downside is that it doesn't premiere until June 24th.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:51 AM   #21
Alfer

We also enjoyed it. Will set a season pass for it.

Alfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:23 PM   #22
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
So you support the idea of double-digit interest rates on credit cards in a depressed economy?
I do without things I can't afford, so NO, I don't like the idea that everyone who went out and splurged on their credit cards is just home free while I get nothing.

I felt insulted when he said the guy's password couldn't be very good because he's old.

But overall I liked the show.

stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:03 PM   #23
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I do without things I can't afford, so NO, I don't like the idea that everyone who went out and splurged on their credit cards is just home free while I get nothing.

I felt insulted when he said the guy's password couldn't be very good because he's old.

But overall I liked the show.
Unfortunately, there are a large number of people that get caught up in the credit card crunch. I also try to stick to a budget and not use credit cards, but a certain member of my household doesn't understand that there are consequences to using them too fequently. Anyway, banks like to suck you into using them just like the tobacco companies try to get you to smoke their cigarettes. They prey on the addictions of some people that have a need to impulse buy. Others find themselves in situations where they end up using credit cards just to survive. It's ridiculously easy to wind up with serious credit card debt and not even realize how you got there. It's not an excuse, just a real fact.

I found the password statement amusing, and I'm 64.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:50 PM   #24
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiquid View Post
I thought this was fantastic. It reminded me a little of Donnie Darko, but strangely, what it reminded me most of was Risky Business, due to that synth-driven soundtrack and narration. Great soundtrack, great atmosphere. A lot happened, but it was a bit slow moving. Still, I'm interested in the story, and the guy playing the lead seems perfect for the part.

I'm pretty sure I haven't liked Christian Slater in anything since Heathers, and I was worried he was going to ruin this for me, but he didn't really bug me.
Did you watch "My Own Worst Enemy"?

I thought it was great, and he was fantastic in it, and otherwise he's like fingernails on a blackboard for me.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:56 PM   #25
stellie93

I'm not saying that I don't feel for people who get caught up in debt. Just that it's very unfair for those of us who meet our obligations to let others off the hook. They still have all the stuff they bought, and we don't. I could see maybe forcing banks to lower the ridiculous rates they charge, but not just wiping out all the debt. But hey, it's a tv show.....

stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:02 PM   #26
wprager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiquid View Post

You didn't like Star Trek VI: Undiscovered Country? Pretty sure that was after Heathers.

wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:02 PM   #27
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I'm not saying that I don't feel for people who get caught up in debt. Just that it's very unfair for those of us who meet our obligations to let others off the hook. They still have all the stuff they bought, and we don't. I could see maybe forcing banks to lower the ridiculous rates they charge, but not just wiping out all the debt. But hey, it's a tv show.....
It can be a complicated and confusing issue, fraught with emotional aspects, too, but this did come to mind when I read your post and wanted to share:

The consumer isn't the only one who benefits by the use of credit to obtain things; those things had to be manufactured/designed/distributed/sold/delivered. So while yes, it may seem somewhat unfair that someone may have that "thing" or what's left of it, and are now off the hook for paying for some/most/all of it, but there was a ripple effect into the economy by its purchase initially (and that ripple didn't end at the first level either), so it's not as bad as it may seem, in the larger view.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:35 PM   #28
DLiquid
Progressive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Did you watch "My Own Worst Enemy"?

I thought it was great, and he was fantastic in it, and otherwise he's like fingernails on a blackboard for me.
I think I might have just watched the pilot of that, so I probably didn't give it much of a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
You didn't like Star Trek VI: Undiscovered Country? Pretty sure that was after Heathers.
Hmm, let's see, even numbered TOS movie... I probably liked the movie, but I'm not sure about Slater. Point taken though, it could just be his recent performances that I haven't liked. I usually just have a hard time believing he is his character.

Last edited by DLiquid; 05-31-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:22 PM   #29
Bob Coxner

Wow. F'ing Wow. That could have been the best produced pilot I've ever seen. Setting aside the philosophy of debt argument, the quality of the acting and screenplay was excellent. And, they must have Kevin Mitnick as their tech adviser or else the screenwriter truly knows his ****. Tons of tech jargon and all of it accurate to my ears.

Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:05 AM   #30
Test

Very Dexter like, right down to keeping souvenirs of his victims.

I'll keep watching