Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-28-2015, 10:19 PM   #1
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Sense8 - Netflix, All Episodes release 6/5/2015

A heads up that the series Sense8, from creators/writers J. Michael Straczynski, Andy Wachowski and Lana Wachowski, will be available on Netflix on June 5, 2015 -- all 12 episodes.

A group of people around the world are suddenly linked mentally, and must find a way to survive being hunted by those who see them as a threat to the world's order.

The trailer looks pretty good.

http://www.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movieid=80049878

http://www.slashfilm.com/sense8-reviews/
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-10277105.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:46 PM   #2
Marc

TC CLUB MEMBER
I can't watch the trailer on my Mac (it complains that my non-mirrored iMac doesn't have an HDCP compliant monitor).

Fortunately, I found it on YouTube.

Sense8 Trailer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:26 AM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
Well that looks awesome! Man Netflix seems to be doing more originals then the Premiums now.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:55 AM   #4
wprager

Definitely looking forward to this one. On the surface reminds me of Heroes. With JMS at the helm (and a better budget than B5) this one should be really good.

wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:44 AM   #5
danterner
Not it!

I'm looking forward to this, as well.

For Heroes with JMS at the helm, you may want to check out Rising Stars.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_Stars

| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:19 AM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Tom Tykwer! He's an amazing director...I wonder why he's slowed down so much.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:27 PM   #7
Craigbob

Count me in as someone looking forward to this. In JMS, I have the faith he can pull this off. In the Wachowski's, not so much. I think they are great visual story tellers, and despite it's bad reviews Jupiter Ascending was a visually stunning movie. It lacked a lot in story/plot however.

I think the pairing will work as each side compliments the other. Early reviews are mixed, but they're based on only the first three episodes. As JMS tends to like the slow build up, it ought to be interesting.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:15 PM   #8
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Damn June 5th! Wanted to start now!

gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #9
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I'm really looking forward to this, but from re-watching the trailer to show it to my wife, it looked like it had briefly flashed a decent amount of cliched wachowski-isms and I hope that they are far overshadowed by the JMS-isms.

TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Launches today! Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend...

Old 06-05-2015, 08:37 AM   #11
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Launches today! Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend...
Yep! Looks like it is already currently available. Must have dropped just after midnight last night. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:51 AM   #12
wprager

It was released at midnight PT.

wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #13
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I've watched the first two episodes. So far, I'm pretty bored with this show.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #14
classicX
Don't scream.

So, in the first few minutes of the first episode:

the asian is doing Tai Chi
the hispanic guy is approaching someone or something with a gun (with blood dripping)
one of the white guys is at a rave
the loner woman is on the roof smoking
the drug addict is shooting up
the indian woman appears to be a doctor or chemist (or both)
the black guy appears to be in an African country on a super crowded street
and the other white guy is a cop

seems legit.

They really introduced some twists in the next scenes though, so don't take the above at face value.

I'll keep watching though - I am interested in where this goes.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:00 PM   #15
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Typical JMS slow-burn...after three episodes, things are just starting to come together.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:37 PM   #16
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I've watched the first two episodes. So far, I'm pretty bored with this show.
I was so bored during the first episode I almost stopped watching.
Also confused trying to keep up with the 8 characters.
The second episode played automatically and I became more interested as I got to know everyone.
By the third... I was hooked.

I am quite amused by Freema Agyeman (Doctor Who fans?) having an American accent.

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:54 PM   #17
Craigbob

I've only watched the 1st episode so far, and while I enjoyed it, I was not overwhelmed by it like I was when I first saw B5.

There were several inconsistencies that bothered me, primarily the use of location title cards sometimes they were used sometimes they weren't. I think if they were used consistently or at least in the beginning it would've led to less confusion on the part of the reviewers. I would've also liked to see(hear?) the characters talking in their native language ala Hunt for Red October.

I found some of the characters more or less TV cliches, but I'm not too worried knowing that JMS sometimes does that to keep us off guard.

I'm intrigued enough to keep going, but finding the time to do so is tough.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #18
squigy0
Internet DJ & Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigbob View Post
There were several inconsistencies that bothered me, primarily the use of location title cards sometimes they were used sometimes they weren't.
I initially noticed this too, but then realized they did eventually show the title cards for all cities in the 1st episode, just not necessarily on the very first time they were seen. I don't know what the intent of this was exactly though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigbob View Post
I would've also liked to see(hear?) the characters talking in their native language ala Hunt for Red October.
Another one I noticed. They did sometimes, and then the person from their cluster was speaking their language as well even though they didn't know it. I'm almost wondering if it's a little third wall nod of "you're part of the cluster too, so you understand them."

squigy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #19
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

The language stuff didn't bother me that much, except that some of the accents were extreme (especially the Mumbai ones).

Old 06-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #20
SeanC
ECT

Well that really was a slow burn at the start. I was pretty bored in episode 1, vaguely interested in episode 2, but totally into it by the end of episode 3.

So thanks to Rob and Cainebj, I was ready to drop it after episode 1, but you guys convinced me to push on.

SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #21
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I liked the first three... didn't find them boring... but the show really caught on fire for me by the end of episode 4.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #22
Craigbob

Watched Ep. 2 last night on the big screen, and ep 3 via my phone on the train into work this morning.

I'm liking this. Yeah it started out slow and confusing, but I really loved EP 3. Even though I could figure out what was coming, the fight between Capheus and the gang was great. I loved how they switched between Will and the shooting and Sun and the fight.

Still not getting a good feel for the role of Lito, Riley or Wolfgang in the bigger picture, and I'm guessing Sun is covering up something for her brother and the other bank.

I absolutely loved how they handled Lito, Hernando and Daniella.

The Indian bride story line is just boring as crap to me. But I'm sure it will all make sense by the end.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:43 PM   #23
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I watched the first episode last night and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest, but it's not because the 1st ep was so good because it wasn't. If I had not watched the preview linked to in the first response before watching the 1st ep, I would have called it quits already. But knowing how these people will eventually interact with each other has me very curious about where the show will go.

scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:34 PM   #24
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Well that really was a slow burn at the start. I was pretty bored in episode 1, vaguely interested in episode 2, but totally into it by the end of episode 3.

So thanks to Rob and Cainebj, I was ready to drop it after episode 1, but you guys convinced me to push on.
Thats how I sold it to my siblings and kids, 1st episode, snooze fest, but don't give up.
2nd episode, 3/4 snooze, 1/4 "Wow".
3rd episode, 1/2 snooze, 1/2 OMG!.

This is a show that is totally written for binge watching, closing credits come out of nowhere, and you have to just keep watching the next, and the next.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
TiVo Roamio Basic 300 HD Hours-Lifetime
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:25 AM   #25
J4yDubs

Glad I came in here to get a vibe for this show (worth watching or not). We haven't started watching yet, but I'll make sure to remind the wife and kids that it starts slow but get better. Very JMS like...

John

J4yDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #26
Peter000

By the end I was left with a "meh" feeling about the series. Some of the dialog was just unbearable to sit through, and could have been cut completely. Felt like padding. And I just didn't really care all that much about anyone on the show.

I really feel like the story could have been told just as effectively in half the number of episodes. And the only reason there were 8 people in the group was the title of the show. "Hey, Sens8te is a really cool title. Let's have a group of 8 that can communicate with each other without being in the same place!" Whereas it probably would have been just effective with 5 or 6 people.

But I did stick with it to the end, I'll give it that much. And some of the stories were engaging. It's kind of like the rest of the creators' work, very hit or miss.

Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:33 PM   #27
J4yDubs

Well, I'm glad I pre-screened it before letting the kids watch with us. It shows a TV-MA rating, but is definitely not suitable for teens (we all watch Walking Dead, same rating). The scenes didn't really add anything (a strap-on...really?) either. Just seemed to be there to hit you over the head. Language was a bit much, but fit the scenes.

Only watched Ep 1 so far. It was a big meh. I understand there needs to be setup, but it's not very well done in ep 1. I'll try to keep going, but I'm pretty sure my wife won't be continuing.

John

Old 06-12-2015, 09:31 PM   #28
J4yDubs

Well, I'm calling it quits 1/2 way through Ep 2. The gratuitous sex just seems out of place and I'm not connecting with the characters at all. I know a couple of people said to give it 3, but I'm not going to be able to. It sounded like an interesting story, but it's just not executed well from the little bit I could sit through.

John

Old 06-13-2015, 03:10 AM   #29
Mr.Scarface

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4yDubs View Post
Well, I'm calling it quits 1/2 way through Ep 2. The gratuitous sex just seems out of place and I'm not connecting with the characters at all. I know a couple of people said to give it 3, but I'm not going to be able to. It sounded like an interesting story, but it's just not executed well from the little bit I could sit through.

John
LOL... It starts getting interesting in episode 3. People have no patience anymore. Lets have all the answers in one or two episodes.

Mr.Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:00 AM   #30
Beryl

I've watched through Ep 9. I plan to finish eventually but it doesn't grip me enough to binge. Definitely not something I can watch with my nieces and nephew (all under 15). I felt awkward and disengaged watching one episode with my 30 year old niece!

Beryl is online now   Reply With Quote