TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #1
getreal
postcrastinator

"The 100" ... is it worth checking out, or chucking out?

Has anyone here seen "The 100"?
Is it worth a binge watch someday? Apparently they are cleared for a third season, so they must be doing something right, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #2
JohnS-MI

There are longer threads on it here (but they contain spoilers up to current episodes). My opinion, for what it's worth: Yes it is a pretty good show (assuming you like science fiction), Season 1 had a rocky start and some WTF moments (maybe we were meant to be as confused as the characters by what they were experiencing. I feel Season 2 has been a considerable improvement. If I say much more, it may become spoilers.

JohnS-MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
mattack

Heh, I think I have all of S1 offloaded and S2 still recording.. I'm trying to shed shows (esp since starting to record most stuff in HD, I too quickly filled up a new hard drive).. But this sounded interesting (since it's sci fi).

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Yeah, for me it starts out...interesting, but as it goes, it gets better and better.

The way the characters develop is fascinating.

Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:49 PM   #5
DavidJL

I watched 3 eps then saved a bunch not knowing if I'd watch or delete. Later I continued and it got better. Some of the characters are annoying but the show as a whole is better than a lot of other shows out there.

DavidJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:53 PM   #6
getreal
postcrastinator

Great feedback ... thanks! I saw the pilot and then kept these on the backburner, and will power through them at some point. Good to know that it will get better as it goes along.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:29 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I think it's better for binge watching vs 1 ep/week. I watched the first 3 eps this season and wasn't enjoying it at all so I stopped. A couple weeks ago I binged a few eps and last week I binged on some more and it was a much better watch for me.

scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:34 PM   #8
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I finished the first season but didn't feel a strong urge to watch the second. Is it better? Maybe I'll get back to it.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:49 AM   #9
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

I almost bailed during the first season. Just seemed like a bunch of punk-arsed kids constantly bickering. It started getting better towards the end and I stuck with it.

I'm really enjoying this season. The show doesn't pull any punches. I'm really surprised at some of the things that have happened and the brutality that that some of the plot lines have lead to.

Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:40 AM   #10
Archangel00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeters View Post
I almost bailed during the first season. Just seemed like a bunch of punk-arsed kids constantly bickering. It started getting better towards the end and I stuck with it.

I'm really enjoying this season. The show doesn't pull any punches. I'm really surprised at some of the things that have happened and the brutality that that some of the plot lines have lead to.
This pretty much sums up my experience/feelings as well. Though I think I did actually bail for a while during the course of the first season. Then re-visited it in the off season, binge style, and am now totally hooked. They definitely end up going to some surprisingly "dark places" from time to time, especially for a mostly teen-centric broadcast network.

For the newcomers
Clarke is the centerpiece of the entire thing thus far, and for the foreseeable future, so pay attention to her most of all.

Bellamy and Octavia are the next most interesting/relevant characters/stories, so you definitely want to give them your full attention too.

Of the adults, Clarke's mom is probably the most consistently relevant, though most of the adult characters relevance waxes and wanes over the course of time. Both Kane and Jaha eventually have a some interesting twists and turns as the series progresses as well, so you definitely want to pay attention to them too.

Archangel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #11
Peter000

TC CLUB MEMBER
I watched the entire first season, but watched maybe the first 3 or 4 episodes of this season and totally lost interest. It just got too hard to follow.

Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:12 PM   #12
danterner
Not it!

I'm with the majority on this one: I enjoyed the first season, and the second season was even stronger. Good show, worth watching.

| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:47 PM   #13
mr.unnatural

I looked forward to seeing it months before it aired and I wasn't disappointed. The fact that it airs on the CW was a strong indication that it would be full of teenagers dealing with a lot of angst. The storyline is interesting, although it does stretch reality a bit (but what show doesn't these days, especially those with a Sci-Fi flavor). I'm still watching it and haven't missed an episode.

They've already introduced several different factions into the plot and I suspect they still have a few more waiting in the wings. The writers have left the door wide open to take the show in just about any direction they want so anything can happen.

mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #14
JYoung
Series 3

The first season had some interesting stuff but had a lot of the "good looking teens that look great no matter what happens" thing and the teen angst that the CW is known for that pulled the show down in the first season.

They jettisoned most of that in the second season and the show has improved a fair amount.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #15
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
They jettisoned most of that in the second season and the show has improved a fair amount.
You could pretty much skip the first season or wherever the transition took place, may have been towards the end of season 1.

Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #16
mrdazzo7

Glad to see other people like this show - I think it's awesome. I had time to kill between classes one day and season 1 popped up on Netflix so I checked it out and got into it pretty fast. It's got my kind of story-telling (serialized, cliffhangers, "WTF JUST HAPPENED", etc). And moreso than most shows, it has no problem 'going there' at all. Especially when you consider that it's a CW show, that makes it all the more impressive.

Like every other show on TV, it has it's share of "who's doing who" and "who likes who this week", but I think the writers did an excellent job not only creating the back story, but also in how they layout the mythology over time and how nothing is what it seems. It's also a pretty brutal take on the future.

In my opinion, season 2 is WAY better - season establishes the characters and is good in it's own rite, but the second season is just bonkers from start to finish. I'm glad it got renewed.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:36 PM   #17
andyw715

CW gots a lot of pretty people in their shows.

andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:11 PM   #18
danterner
Not it!

(Season 2 spoilers)

Spoiler:
I enjoyed that there is a Planet of the Apes-esque overgrown Lincoln Memorial in the forest, and the fact that the grounders are from "tondisi" (which is surely their pidgin way of saying "Washington D.C.")

| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:30 PM   #19
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
CW gots a lot of pretty people in their shows.
Here are some funny interviews with a few of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p_0fP_TsHo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uxeOvNHCx4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZUQx5hQTkw

Eliza Taylor has an awesomely cute accent in real life.

I like this show. I've watched every episode, except for the last two, which are sitting on my Tivo waiting for me.

justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:20 AM   #20
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
(Season 2 spoilers)

Spoiler:
I enjoyed that there is a Planet of the Apes-esque overgrown Lincoln Memorial in the forest, and the fact that the grounders are from "tondisi" (which is surely their pidgin way of saying "Washington D.C.")
Spoiler:
Actually, they're saying "ton D. C.", after a sign they've shown a number of times...

Old 03-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #21
eddyj

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
The first season had some interesting stuff but had a lot of the "good looking teens that look great no matter what happens" thing and the teen angst that the CW is known for that pulled the show down in the first season.
I dumped it after a few episodes for this reason. Maybe U will give it another shot sometime.

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #22
gweempose

I like The 100 a lot. It's definitely one of my guilty pleasure shows.

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:09 PM   #23
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I don't even feel guilty.

Maybe a skosh in the first half of the first season, but not a bit since then!

Old 09-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #24
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

I just binge watched The 100. I really liked it! It's better than I expected, and I was able to overlook the teen/CW aspect of it much easier than I thought (because it's such a good show).

There are some strong parallels to Lost, which I didn't mind because I was a huge fan of Lost! It seems like every year there is a show that is the "next Lost" and they all turn out to be garbage (Under the Dome, for instance) but this was nicely done (The 100 is certainly much darker and more violent than Lost). I noticed that Javier Grillo-Marxuach (former writer of Lost) is a producer of The 100 (effective with season 2, I believe) and of course, The Notorious HIC, Henry Ian Cusick, is on both shows.

I'm looking forward to season 3!

tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #25
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Just last night I deleted my SP and over half of the episodes of season 2 because they were still unwatched. I have accepted the fact that I just don't care.

scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:37 PM   #26
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Just last night I deleted my SP and over half of the episodes of season 2 because they were still unwatched. I have accepted the fact that I just don't care.
Midway through S2 it did get a little monotonous. But I thought the last couple of episodes and especially the ending of the S2 finale were really good - a nice setup for S3.

I don't think it's an all-time great show by any means, but I enjoyed it. It got me through that very difficult time in my life - before the new fall shows start.

tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:41 PM   #27
Dan203
Super Moderator

TC CLUB MEMBER
I binge watched it over the summer and really enjoyed it too. Looking forward to it starting back up.

Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:35 AM   #28
Anthjo

Enjoying this one for sure. Season 1 was predictable, but enjoyable.....season 2 was nuts. I'm not even a huge Sci-Fi fan. The 100 is worth your time.

I'm glad they stopped wandering through the desert. That part was starting to grate on me......

Anthjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:50 AM   #29
Malcontent
Aka: Smiling Bob

Bump....

Season 3 starts January 21, 2016.

The 100 - Season 3 Trailer

Malcontent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #30
aaronwt
HD Addict

I only made it to episode nine or so on Netflix. I had planned on watching the first couple of seasons before season 3 started. I guess now I will need to push it to my list of shows to watch over the summer.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote