TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-21-2015, 07:49 AM   #1
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Naked and Afraid - Season 4 (spring 2015)

Happy to see this show return!

It was interesting to see the first episode of the new season was in the Florida Everglades. I like the episodes where there's a chance for the contestants to actually feed and shelter themselves while still providing some hardship and drama, and the Everglades seems to do that very well. We felt bad for the girl, seemed like bad luck of the draw that forced her out. She clearly wanted to complete the 21 days.

I was very surprised that they were allowed to kill an alligator. I'd like to know the detail how that was done. Was the show taped during season and they were given a tag to hunt? Was it some sort of private property thing?

I also found it interesting that the entire episode seemed to go out of its way to show what would surely be a major source of food for someone trying to survive in the Everglades for real - birds. We've got lots and lots of really large birds down here and many of them aren't especially afraid of people. I'm pretty sure I could take down cranes, herons and the like with sticks and stones, but I'm also quite sure they are all protected. Rather than tell us that, the show was conspicuous in not showing any birds at all.

Anyway, good ep to start. That guy was quite good, as was the girl before she got sick.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:59 AM   #2
2004raptor
time to emancipate

Glad the show is back.

I thought the girl was pretty rude calling him a p&#@y. He had provided their only food at that point (unless something was edited out). She did help with the shelter and make that blanket but just because he isn't stupid enough to risk his life doesn't make him a p&#@y.

Also, strange that they never mentioned at the end what type of sickness she had. They normally do when someone drops out due to sickness.

2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
john4200

They were drinking out of that bottle that he found. I wonder if they sterilized the bottle (in a fire) before using it, or if they just washed it out with rainwater. If they did not sterilize the bottle, then that could account for the gastrointestinal distress that Amber had -- there could have been enough pathogens left in the bottle to infect Amber, but little enough that Ryan's immune system was able to prevent his infection.

I was not impressed by the incautious way that Amber wanted to hunt gators. Rushing into a patch of sawgrass with one or more gators and virtually no visibility is not smart. It seems that the "training" that she had, out in the open and with other people standing by to help her if she got into trouble, made her overly confident. She is lucky that Ryan tried to discourage her from hunting the gators in a scenario where it was more likely that the gator would be hunting her.

john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #4
Bob Coxner

I think Ryan may be the strongest player they've ever had on the show. There were more food sources than normal but he still seemed to have the right stuff to make it anywhere, both physically and mentally.

Given his looks and personality I predict great success for his survival school.

Bob Coxner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #5
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Another couple things about alligators. First, there's no way this was taped during mating season. That would be April/May and the temps they were showing us were more likely August/September (which, by the way, is also gator hunting season). I checked with a cow-orker who is also a part-time hunting guide and he says they can be taken in season as small as 18 inches, so I think that supports my theory that the production crew had a tag to take a gator.

Then there was Amber's plan to jump on the alligator's back. That might have been fun when she was training and had pants on, but you wouldn't want to do that naked. That gator skin is very hard and those ridges down their back are sharp enough to tear bare skin.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:29 AM   #6
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
I think Ryan may be the strongest player they've ever had on the show. There were more food sources than normal but he still seemed to have the right stuff to make it anywhere, both physically and mentally.

Given his looks and personality I predict great success for his survival school.
He was pretty awesome. I'm going to make a smoker for the alligator, BOOM makes himself a Big Green Egg.

JFriday is online now   Reply With Quote