TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
gweempose

I thought six tuners was enough, but perhaps not ...

I recently replaced three Series 3 boxes with a Roamio Pro and two Minis. Since I pad all of my recordings, I tend to utilize more tuners than most people. I just checked the "To Do" List", and it looks like my machine will be using 5 tuners at once tonight. During this time, I won't even be able to stream live TV to one of the Minis. I guess six tuners isn't as many as I first thought.
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

It's the same number you had before. So you're no worse off. If all 6 tuners were recording on your previous setup you wouldn't have been able to watch live TV either.

You know that you CAN watch any of the the programs that are in the process of recording via one, or both, of the Minis right? Unlike the S3 units that required a recording to finish before you could start transferring it to watch via MRV.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
It's the same number you had before. So you're no worse off. If all 6 tuners were recording on your previous setup you wouldn't have been able to watch live TV either.

You know that you CAN watch any of the the programs that are in the process of recording via one, or both, of the Minis right? Unlike the S3 units that required a recording to finish before you could start transferring it to watch via MRV.
Yeah, I'm not complaining. I just thought it was interesting how six tuners seemed like so much until the TV season began. The Minis are both in rooms that don't get a lot of use, so it's really not a big deal at all. I may even get rid of one of my Premieres and replace it with another Mini.
(3) Minis

Old 09-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
kbmb

I just upgraded from a TivoHD and I thought the same......but now that I'm recording all the new shows and padding everything, I found the other night where it would have needed 7 tuners.

Thankfully, most of these new shows will probably be cancelled before the 3rd episode.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
jmpage2

Well, six tuner feeds is the maximum for a single cablecard, so I don't think you guys will find a higher capacity box unless TiVo decides to make some kind of box for hard-core users that puts two cable-cards together again... or an IP delivery system comes along that can stream many, many HD streams simultaneously to a DVR.

When they do that they can also put in 1 petabyte of storage so that you can record everything on TV for several years and then pick and choose what you might eventually want to watch.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Well, six tuner feeds is the maximum for a single cablecard, so I don't think you guys will find a higher capacity box unless TiVo decides to make some kind of box for hard-core users that puts two cable-cards together again... or an IP delivery system comes along that can stream many, many HD streams simultaneously to a DVR.

When they do that they can also put in 1 petabyte of storage so that you can record everything on TV for several years and then pick and choose what you might eventually want to watch.
Yeah....it's more of an interesting observation not a complaint. Heck, coming from 2 tuners it's great! Although wouldn't lie......a 2 Mcard Tivo with dual 4TB drives would be pretty cool

I'm more interested in maybe Tivo tweaking software to handle back-to-back overlaps (like the interesting bug I ran across the other night http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=509458). If they could use a single tuner for back to back programs that overlap that would free up other tuners.

-Kevin
Old 09-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
jmpage2

within a week of a dual m-card box with 4TB of storage coming out there would be "power users" who would be decrying the lack of a three m-card box with 12TB of storage.....

"I just like to really record every show that's on.... I mean, you know, something might be good, and maybe a year or two later I'd like to re-visit that show and start watching it".

Old 09-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

6 tuners is plenty for me . I have yet to even see all 6 lights on at the same time. Although there could have been a few minutes here or there where they were due to padding and I just didn't notice.

There are only 4 major network channels (5 if you count The WB) and everything on cable repeats, so I can't imagine a situation where I'd ever need more then 6 tuners. In fact if TiVo ever added a feature that would share data between back to back recordings so that padding shows didn't require 2 tuners I'd only ever need 4
Old 09-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
moyekj

I've got 12 tuners available right now, but most of the time 6 is enough for me. This past week alone I've had plenty of occasions with 5 parallel recordings during prime time on my Roamio and I don't use any padding and never enable suggestions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Why the heck would you pad every recording??
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #11
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post

OCD
(3) Minis

Old 09-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Most stations are pretty good. But on some comedies I have to pad to get that last little bit at the end. A lot of cable channels seem to be off a bit on their timing, both start and end, so I tend to pad all of them, just in case. but since they repeat all the time that doesn't typically cause conflicts.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
mattack

Quote:
Because the majority, if not the vast majority, of stuff I record needs it?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Because the majority, if not the vast majority, of stuff I record needs it?
Just the opposite for me. It's rare that I need to pad my SPs. So far I've also had no issues with any of the new show recordings. They have all ended without anything being cut off.

Besides I'd have major problems if I tried to pad a bunch of SPs. I don't clip any recordings and I'm already using six tuners concurrently just about every evening. With the new shows SP, I am recording a little more than normal. So hopefully once I delete that and add the permanent SPs. I won't have a dozen conflicts each two week period like I have right now.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:20 PM   #15
ShoutingMan

Quote:
Because TiVo guide data isn't quite right, and a number of shows run long and/or start early.

This is a recurring problem for me. It's more manageable with six tuners. But it's still a nuisance.
ShoutingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #16
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
Because TiVo guide data isn't quite right, and a number of shows run long and/or start early.

This is a recurring problem for me. It's more manageable with six tuners. But it's still a nuisance.
It's not just TiVo guide data that's not quite right. I had the same problem with my cable company DVR guide data.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #17
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
It's not just TiVo guide data that's not quite right. I had the same problem with my cable company DVR guide data.
That's because it's not the guide data that is off, it is the networks and/or local affiliates.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #18
Riverdome

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
That's because it's not the guide data that is off, it is the networks and/or local affiliates.
I wonder if it isn't the locals because with ~60 SP we wish we had padded something maybe once/twice a year. As was mentioned it's usually that last joke or the preview of the next episode.
Riverdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #19
aeternal

We have become spoiled huh? :P TV shows have drastically increased in quality over the last decade or so. AMC, A&E, DISCOVERY, etc. have definitely made the jump to be in line with the big boys. I am curious as to how many Roamio folks watch every single show they record or if it is more about sharing the DVR with shows that your wife, husband, son, daughter etc. want to watch on their own.

I'm definitely guilty of watching TV too much as well. I just fear one day we will have 2,000+ channels, 20 Tuner boxes and get our direct fix by plugging in a cord Matrix style in the back of our head lol.
aeternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #20
aaronwt
HD Addict

I expect the number of tuners to decrease in the future, potentially to zero. Where the content is streamed instead received with a tuner.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #21
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeternal View Post

I just fear one day we will have 2,000+ channels, 20 Tuner boxes and get our direct fix by plugging in a cord Matrix style in the back of our head lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I expect the number of tuners to decrease in the future, potentially to zero. Where the content is streamed instead received with a tuner.
Exactly. At some point, everything will be available on demand. It's not a question of if, but when.
(3) Minis

Old 09-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #22
wmhjr

I have two XL4s and one Premiere, along with two minis. So, effectively at this particular time I have 10 tuners, though I can only use 8 of them for any combination of recording/live due to mini tuner consumption. That's not terrible. I've learned to live without padding, though more and more I'm losing the last bit of an increasing number of major network shows.

I would agree that at some point, the number of tuners will stop increasing and maybe functionality will change, as more streaming content will become the standard. Of course, as that happens it will likely create further competition for Tivo, as there is no real need for Tivo at that time and other solutions have proven to be better at delivering streaming content.
wmhjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #23
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
Exactly. At some point, everything will be available on demand. It's not a question of if, but when.
Sure and if Netflix is any indication the quality will stink and show availability will change every time the wind blows.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #24
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Sure and if Netflix is any indication the quality will stink and show availability will change every time the wind blows.
Well, availability changes with the wind already. How many shows have you seen get canned in the middle of a run with no resolution to any of the plot turns?

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #25
lessd

Quote:
ABC and FOX OD will not let you fast forward, you have no control, streaming has it place, but if normal TV goes away the experience of TV watching will go back to the 70s as you may not control ad skipping, all you would have is time shifting, I could not stand not being able to skip say parts of the nightly news that I have no interest in or have already seen, this lets me see the CBS,NBC and ABC nightly news in about 45 to 50 minutes. I do this skipping with other programs as well, if say Jay has a guest on that I want to see, the next day I may skip directly to that guest and not have to watch the rest of Jays tonight show, I love the control TiVo gives me.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #26
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
There are only 4 major network channels (5 if you count The WB)
This made me laugh. You don't get out much, do you Dan?

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #27
gweempose

Quote:

Sure and if Netflix is any indication the quality will stink ...
Are you referring to the quality of the content, or the picture quality? PQ will only get better as bandwidth increases and compression algorithms improve.
(3) Minis

Old 09-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #28
kbmb

Quote:
Are you referring to the quality of the content, or the picture quality? PQ will only get better as bandwidth increases and compression algorithms improve.
Gotta say.....the SuperHD that Netflix just rolled out looks pretty darn good to me.

-Kevin
Old 09-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #29
moyekj

Quote:
Don't know about your experience but to me Netflix Super HD feeds (6Mbps H.264) look better than most "HD" channels from my cable company. Amazon HD downloads still trump Netflix streaming though from my experience.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #30
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
And that will be a sad day in many respects, because you will lose control over how you watch a show.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote