TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
cannonz

BH All Digital

Brighthouse CFL area going all digital. I bet they lose a ton of TV only customers when they hear they will need a device since satellite and prism offer more channels for less than they pay now.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Charter is in the process of doing this in a lot of areas. I think they offer up to 3 boxes free for 1 year to ease the transition.

Perhaps broad transition to all digital lineups will prompt TV makers to start including CableCARD support in their TVs again.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Charter is in the process of doing this in a lot of areas. I think they offer up to 3 boxes free for 1 year to ease the transition.

Perhaps broad transition to all digital lineups will prompt TV makers to start including CableCARD support in their TVs again.
Not likely when cable cards in the wild are only in the hundreds of thousands.(for retail devices, there are millions in cable company devices)
It's not worth the effort, time, and money to put them back in TVs. I had a TV in 2005 that had a cable card slot. It was the first Samsung 1080P DLP set. But I never used that cable card slot since it was worthless to me since it meant I would have to watch Tv in realtime.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
jadziedzic

And for an opposing viewpoint regarding "watching TV in realtime", I still have TWO sets that accept CableCARDs - one HP (rebadged Samsung I think) and one Sony - and use the CableCARD so I can watch the 11:00 pm news (live) while I'm laying in bed. (ALL of our channels are encrypted - thanks, Comcast - so I can't use clear QAM any longer.) I suppose I could replace the CableCARD with a TiVo mini, and may do that at some point, but it's an overkill for this use of a CableCARD-equipped TV.
jadziedzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

If the technology is cheap enough, and there is a demand for it, manufacturers might reconsider. With a lot of cable companies going all digital, and encrypting all the channels in the process, it's limiting peoples ability to have a functioning TV in secondary location. CableCARDs in TVs never really caught on originally because they were only included in high end TVs and added a $100-$200 price premium. Most people look at high end TVs for the main room, where they likely have a DVR or other device they have to use for tuning anyway. But a lot of people have smaller, cheaper, TVs in secondary rooms connected directly to cable. This is where a CableCARD might actually be useful. It's cleaner and easier to use then an external box, especially if the TV is wall mounted. This was actually the originally intended use for CableCARDs. i.e. plugging them in to every TV in the house so you could get all your channels without needing an external box. It never really worked out because digital wasn't at a high enough proliferation point when they hit. Now that it's getting to that point I could see a situation where they might actually have a chance.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

I still can't see manufacturers doing it because is a tiny, tiny market. Retail cable card users number in the hundreds of thousands while cable card user with cable company boxes number well over ten million. And that is only because the government mandated that the cable companies had to use cable cards.

But I guess you never know.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Hah.

Maybe if the FCC mandated it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
cannonz

If they put just a little memory in enough for a 2 hour buffer, but would have to accommodate TA's would be the hard part. That's what the FCC really should get rid of SDV.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I still can't see manufacturers doing it because is a tiny, tiny market. Retail cable card users number in the hundreds of thousands while cable card user with cable company boxes number well over ten million. And that is only because the government mandated that the cable companies had to use cable cards.

But I guess you never know.
Well that's sort of a chicken/egg scenario though. Back when CableCARDs were first released most people still got a good number of analog channels and/or clear QAM channels for those secondary TVs. Add to that the fact that there was a $200+ price premium for CableCARD compatible TVs and they really only even offered the option in high end primary TVs and it makes sense the technology never caught on. However if they had an inexpensive TV with built in CableCARD now, especially in markets that are going all digital, they would probably fare much better then they did in 2006.

Although given the fact it's still a nightmare to get a new card paired correctly, it may still end up being a huge flop. But if people had the option I think more would try it now then did back in 2006.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
would have to accommodate TA's would be the hard part. That's what the FCC really should get rid of SDV.
Yeah TAs are a bummer and kind of screw up the dream of a built in digital tuner. If someone has to hook up a TA anyway then they might as well just get a box. I've heard there are new boxes that are about the size of a TA.

I honestly sort of forgot about TAs in my fantasy. Kind of throws a monkey wrench into the whole thing.