TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
jmoline

Moved from Series 3 to an xl4 - Cablecard

Took the second Multi stream cablecard from the Series 3 and put it in the XL4. I was getting ready to call Comcast to get the card paired when I went to the XL4 and found all the channels active. Not just the over the air ABC, NBC, etc, but other HD channels on the extended tier. We have no pay channels like HBO or Showtime. Everything available on the Series 3 is available on the XL4 with out contacting Comcast. I also have access to Xfininty on demand. Any guesses on who this is working?
jmoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoline View Post
Took the second Multi stream cablecard from the Series 3 and put it in the XL4. I was getting ready to call Comcast to get the card paired when I went to the XL4 and found all the channels active. Not just the over the air ABC, NBC, etc, but other HD channels on the extended tier. We have no pay channels like HBO or Showtime. Everything available on the Series 3 is available on the XL4 with out contacting Comcast. I also have access to Xfininty on demand. Any guesses on who this is working?
Can you watch any programs using OD ?
In many places the Comcast cable card will shut off if non activated in about 30 to 60 days, this is to stop people from blocking the communications between an activated card that has HBO etc than cancel the extra service and putting a trap on the cable to stop Comcast from telling the card that you reduced your service, the same goes a cable box.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Comcast protects only a very small number of channels in most of their franchises (though it is franchise dependent.) In most markets, like mine, the free Encore movie channels are protected, along with the pay channels. You might want to check them.

I've gone for years using unpaired cablecards on some of my TiVos, though with the national Comcast cablecard support line pairing is much much easier.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I've gone for years using unpaired cablecards on some of my TiVos, though with the national Comcast cablecard support line pairing is much much easier.
Your not in the Hartford CT area, If I unplug a cable card TP for more than 30 days the card (paired) will be almost shut off when the power is restored (can receive only network channels), after a few days of power all the channels come in (I could also call Comcast to give my card a hit and do the same thing). I use an un-subed TP in a guest bedroom, turning it on only when friends or my kids come to sleep over as Comcast only charges me $1/month per card, no AO fee.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Your not in the Hartford CT area, If I unplug a cable card TP for more than 30 days the card (paired) will be almost shut off when the power is restored (can receive only network channels), after a few days of power all the channels come in (I could also call Comcast to give my card a hit and do the same thing). I use an un-subed TP in a guest bedroom, turning it on only when friends or my kids come to sleep over as Comcast only charges me $1/month per card, no AO fee.
But isn't that a different situation? Mine are never un-powered, they're just unpaired. So the card is receiving any monthly subscription update that Comcast sends and the card remains happy.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:19 AM   #6
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
But isn't that a different situation? Mine are never un-powered, they're just unpaired. So the card is receiving any monthly subscription update that Comcast sends and the card remains happy.
Comcast told me that an unpaired cable card does not receive any information as the numbers don't match, and the card will stop after the internal clock runs out in 30 to 60 days, Comcast could also be giving me Bull.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Comcast told me that an unpaired cable card does not receive any information as the numbers don't match, and the card will stop after the internal clock runs out in 30 to 60 days, Comcast could also be giving me Bull.
My suspicion is the latter. I've never heard of any unpaired Comcast cablecard anywhere that didn't get franchise channel movement info, for instance, so I think we can be sure that unpaired cablecards get some information. But who knows with comcast and comcast franchises!!!