TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
jwall29

Tuning adapter with cable modem on same outlet

Can someone tell me the proper way to hook up a cable modem, tuning adapter, and tivo using the same outlet.

I recently moved the cable modem/router from one room to the same room as the roamio. I had very few problem with tuning problems with the cable modem in another room, now with it on the same outlet I am receiving quite a few more tuning issues.

It comes out of the wall into a two way splitter. One end goes into the tuning adapter and uses the pass though to go to the Tivo. The other end is going into the cable modem/router.

Is that the correct way or am I missing something?
jwall29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
Goober96

I'd recommend a 3 way splitter and don't use the cable out on the tuning adaptor.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:45 AM   #3
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwall29 View Post
Can someone tell me the proper way to hook up a cable modem, tuning adapter, and tivo using the same outlet.

I recently moved the cable modem/router from one room to the same room as the roamio. I had very few problem with tuning problems with the cable modem in another room, now with it on the same outlet I am receiving quite a few more tuning issues.

It comes out of the wall into a two way splitter. One end goes into the tuning adapter and uses the pass though to go to the Tivo. The other end is going into the cable modem/router.

Is that the correct way or am I missing something?
I agree, a 2 way splitter is all you need.

The connection from my TA to the TiVo is USB, not Cable Out.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
Goober96

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
I agree, a 2 way splitter is all you need. The connection from my TA to the TiVo is USB, not Cable Out.
He's using the "cable out" connection on the tuning adaptor. Has nothing to do with the USB connection which is also necessary. If he was not going to use the "cable out" pass through on the TA, he would, indeed, need a 3 way splitter.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
SNJpage1

The cable modem should always be ahead of everything else. In my house the cable goes into a 2 way splitter, with one side going to the modem and the other side feeding everything else in the house. So what you have should work. Maybe you have a problem with the wiring itself. A bad connector might be causing the problem.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
I'd recommend a 3 way splitter and don't use the cable out on the tuning adaptor.
That depends on which TA you're using. The Motorola ones are known to cause issues when looped through, but the Cisco has a built in amp and sends a pretty clean signal.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote