TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
flar

no TiVo suggestions

My Roamio Pro has not recorded any suggestions in 3 days now even though I have it set to record suggestions. This has persisted through a number of reboots, and I even went through guided setup a second time to see if that would help.

Previously, I had a Roamio Plus that I bought last week, but I decided I wanted the extra storage of the Pro and, for the price difference compared to buying a 3TB AV-GP drive, I'd rather have it all under warranty and on BB free financing so I went back and got a Pro to replace it.

My experience with setting up the Plus was much better than my experience with setting up the Pro (though the cablecards were a nightmare in both situations). With the Plus, once I got the cablecard paired it started right up, I transferred my Season Passes online and then moments later went to the box and reordered them back into a sane order (I know it probably isn't really necessary with 6 tuners, but better safe than sorry). It also happily started recording suggestions on the first day.

Now contrast that to my Pro. The setup went fine, but when I went to transfer the Season Passes online it was refusing to take. I forced a few service connections and then it allowed me to transfer them (was pretty sure I gave it similar amount of time to get its bearings as the Plus, but it was definitely more finicky about allowing me to transfer the SP). I didn't bother to reorder them right away and it was the next day before I went in to check their order. About half of them showed up as "Corrupt, Please delete". I read online about the problem and waited another day and forced a few service connections, but I still had a whole bunch of those. Finally I downloaded kmttg and transferred them that way and it went much better. Very puzzling that the transfer worked very well the first time for the Plus, but the Pro never really took to the online version of the transfer. And now, on the 4th day after getting the Pro running, it still has never recorded a suggestion. With so much more disk space you'd think it would be chomping at the bit to record some stuff.

Any ideas? I read a suggestion somewhere to turn the suggestions off and on again, possibly with reboots in between. Others reported that going through that dance did not fix the problem for them. I did the off and on with a service connection in between and still no go. I would try it again with reboots in between, but it is currently showing that tonight's service update is pending and I have a few recordings tonight so I don't want to interrupt them for this experiment. I'll try that later tonight.

Another suggestion was to clear thumb ratings, but it is brand new and doesn't have any yet (other than the season passes that I transferred, if they imply a thumbs up). Also, the Plus started recording suggestions without any thumbs up work needed...?

Any other ideas? Do suggestions just take longer for some TiVos?
selling TiVo Series 3, WD10EVCS, lifetime from Series 2
retired TiVo Series 2, 80 hour
flar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
markp99
TakoKichi

Flar, I noticed a similar issue with my new Roamio.

I forced a couple connections in a row and suggestions started to appear approx. 36 hours after I activated the new box. I did not manually reboot or fiddle with suggestions on/off.

I presume you have set thumb settings up an down to give TiVo something to work with.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
flar

Thanks Mark, I guess I should stop fiddling and wait and see.

I've most recently (last night) done a "clear thumbs and reboot" and then thumbs upped a few shows to seed it, but my Roamio Plus was recording suggestions within hours of coming on-line with absolutely no thumbs-up work done at all. Meanwhile, it has been over 12 hours since the thumbs reset on the Pro and still it is not recording any suggestions, even with the manual thumbs settings.

The only thing different about the 2 (with respect to suggestions - a lot of things are just wonky on the Pro that worked without a hitch on the Plus) is that I did an online transfer of my SP from my old box to the Plus. On the Pro, the online SP transfer got messed up (half of the shows coming in as corrupt) so I cleared out all the transferred SP and did the SP transfer via kmttg instead. Perhaps the online transfer moves the thumbs ratings over as well, but the kmttg method does not? On the other hand, I now have manual thumbs ratings on the Pro and still the suggestions folder sits empty.

All in all, the Plus "just worked" (once I got the cable card paired) and it worked first time and immediately for every feature, but every single feature on my Pro has given me headaches and required a bunch of fiddling to get it to work. Nothing that suggests a hardware fault, more like some configuration in the software went wonky on my Pro and is not repairing itself, but set up just fine on the Plus. I did expedite the set up on the Pro a bit, though - knowing what was coming next because I had just been through the process on the Plus, but I didn't skip any steps and at worst I did a few steps (like activating and/or trying to transfer the season passes) before the accounts were fully acknowledged and ready and so I had to "try again later" on some parts. A few configuration steps were probably done in a different order between the two. At some point I may simply reset the box and start over from square zero and redo all of the initial setup slowly and carefully a step at a time, but meantime it is recording SP shows that I won't have on my old Premiere (to watch or transfer) so I'm getting past the window when I can view its contents as "scratch". (And I'm not entirely happy trusting software where the order of configuration steps matters so much to basic functionality...)

(I'd hook up the Premiere in a spare room, but I scavenged its cable card for the Pro and that's a 2 or 3 hour nightmare with Comcast to try to switch things back...)
Old 09-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
mattack

Did you go into the suggestions *section* (I don't remember where it is on Premieres) to see if it had even 'figured out' any?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:20 AM   #5
flar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Did you go into the suggestions *section* (I don't remember where it is on Premieres) to see if it had even 'figured out' any?
If you are referring to the suggestions folder, I do have folders activated and that folder is there and it is empty.

I went looking for my thumbs ratings, but couldn't find them. A search on the web turned up a help page on the TiVo site that mentioned:
Quote:
To review or edit your Thumb Ratings:

1. Navigate to TiVo Suggestions:

TiVo with HD menus: Go to TiVo Central > Browse TV & Movies > TV > TiVo Suggestions
That wasn't right on my menus, but I eventually found it under a slightly different path: "TiVo Central -> Find TV, Movies, & Videos -> Browse TV & Movies -> TV -> Tivo Suggestions". You are then looking at a list of random planned suggestions and can hit "Enter" to get to the actual thumbs ratings list. I have about 3 pages of thumbs ups and the earliest entries on the suggestions look to be scheduled to record on Friday, so I'll know by tomorrow if it is working.

Another new development tonight, I just received this evening a "Message" telling me all about suggestions. If I recall correctly, I think I got that message right away on my Plus, but it took a few days to get it on my Pro. Perhaps this is the announcement that the box is planning to start recording them soon, as per the list I just found in the menus.

Last edited by flar : 09-27-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
flar

It just occurred to me an obvious difference between my Plus and my Pro that could be responsible for this. It has a much larger hard drive.

The Roamios ship with an unformatted drive from what I've heard. In order to get up and running quickly they likely do a quick format and then start populating it with data. If bad sectors are on the drive then they will be found the first time they try to write some video data to that sector. The drives are likely set to flag errors asynchronously to avoid interruptions in streaming the video to them, and so this would mean dropouts in the video as they likely just "let the errors go". In order to avoid discovering any bad sectors "on the fly", they probably do what amounts to a slow format (writing zeros to every sector on the drive). But, to avoid a long setup process, rather than do this up front they could be doing it in the background while the DVR is in use. To keep the process as short as possible, they may disable suggestions until they are done with the initial bad sector sweep. The Plus, with a smaller drive and with me not having to reboot it a few times due to configuration/setup issues, and also not having to deal with me transferring over about a hundreg GB of shows from the old TiVo, it could have finished a bad sector scan within a day, but the Pro, with the configuration issues I've had, and all of those reboots and spending about a day copying over a few dozen shows from the old TiVo, took 3-4 days to complete the process and go idle enough to spend time on the suggestions.

It's just a theory, but it would explain why it would take longer to get suggestions on my Pro, and it would explain the typical "wait 24 hours" recommendation related to suggestions. Anyone else with a Pro notice that it took a long time to get suggestions to record?

One fly in this theory is that all 6 tuners are always recording a 30 minute buffer anyway, so recording a suggestion would not change much. But perhaps they reuse the same sectors on the disk for all of their 30 minutes and so while they are simply doing "live TV buffering" they aren't getting in the way of a bad sector write search as much as if they were distributing saved video across the full content of the disk?
Old 09-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
If you are referring to the suggestions folder, I do have folders activated and that folder is there and it is empty.
No, I don't mean where it RECORDS suggestions. I mean where it LISTS suggestions "to be recorded". (Not all are actually on the To Do list, but the list of the types of shows it WOULD record if/when there was space.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
flar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
No, I don't mean where it RECORDS suggestions. I mean where it LISTS suggestions "to be recorded". (Not all are actually on the To Do list, but the list of the types of shows it WOULD record if/when there was space.)
Yes, I think I eventually found that in the menus as I mentioned in one of my replies above.

BTW, it has now started recording suggestions, so it looks pretty good right now (modulo the V53 errors that I've only seen a couple of times on a single channel...)
Old 09-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #9
markp99
TakoKichi

Flar,

I dropped a 3TB drive into my Plus around mid week. Again no suggestions for a couple days, then I got the "Suggestions" email, again.

I now see about 6 suggestions recorded... So, appears the delay is not activation-related.
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote