TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
hytekjosh

Tivo Mini can't stream music from Tivo Desktop

Before I purchased the Roamio Plus and Minis to replace my rented Premieres and Quads, I checked on the ability to stream MP3s on the Minis. Two web pages (below) and a phone call to their technical support confirmed the feature would work.

http://www.tivo.com/my-account/how-t...-music-your-pc
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2474

It works without issue on my Roamio but will not work on the Minis. Tivo Desktop software only lists the Roamio. So either the Mini is not seeing the Tivo Desktop or the Tivo Desktop is not seeing the Mini. I spent hours with their technical support and now they are telling me this is not a feature of the Minis and they will be removing it from their web pages.

Has anyone been able to get streaming working on their Minis? Thanks!

Last edited by hytekjosh : 04-12-2014 at 05:19 PM.
hytekjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

I just tried it here. I added a couple of folders with MP3 songs on my TiVo Desktop PC. TiVo Desktop picked them up right away. And they showed up on the page on my Mini right away too. And I'm playing them back on this Mini.

In the Music and Photo section, at the top is a link to the music on my TiVo Desktop PC.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
hytekjosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I just tried it here. I added a couple of folders with MP3 songs on my TiVo Desktop PC. TiVo Desktop picked them up right away. And they showed up on the page on my Mini right away too. And I'm playing them back on this Mini.

In the Music and Photo section, at the top is a link to the music on my TiVo Desktop PC.
Is your Mini using MOCA or Ethernet? Mine is using MOCA and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytekjosh View Post
Is your Mini using MOCA or Ethernet? Mine is using MOCA and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.
I'm on Ethernet but I don't see why MoCA should make a difference. When I tested MoCA on my Minis, the experience with everything else was identical to using Ethernet. Although I don't recall specifically testing MP3 playback.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytekjosh View Post
How are you getting your MOCA? There are Verizon FIOS routers that have problems forwarding some packets (are on Google's Chromecast "bad router" list).
Old 04-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
hytekjosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
How are you getting your MOCA? There are Verizon FIOS routers that have problems forwarding some packets (are on Google's Chromecast "bad router" list).
I'm using the Roamio to create the MOCA network. I have no problem streaming/controlling youtube from my phone via WiFi to the Mini but I don't know if that communicates in a different way. My PC is on the hardwired network so the Roamio would be responsible for the bridge.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:30 PM   #7
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

TiVo Desktop has two different ways of publishing its location: Bonjour (mDNS) or TiVo Beacon. Bonjour packets are the ones that often get blocked or not forwarded across network segments by faulty routers/switches. Have you tried both ways?

Within TiVo Desktop, check Server/TiVo Server Properties/Network. TiVo Beacon is the brute force method (the PC sends out broadcast packets announcing the presence of TiVo Desktop), and should always work if your network is setup reasonably (both the PC and the Mini have to be on the same LAN).

I just downloaded TiVo Desktop, installed it, and set it to use TiVo Beacon. My Mini was able to pick it up right away once I changed to Beacon (Bonjour didn't work immediately for the Mini, though it did for the Roamio and Premiere Elite - I didn't bother trying to see what the Bonjour problem was; just changed to Beacon).
Old 04-15-2014, 08:09 AM   #8
DigitalDawn

Thanks for that tip!

I was only able to see photos on the mini before switching to Beacon. Now I can stream music as well.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:21 PM   #9
hytekjosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
TiVo Desktop has two different ways of publishing its location: Bonjour (mDNS) or TiVo Beacon. Bonjour packets are the ones that often get blocked or not forwarded across network segments by faulty routers/switches. Have you tried both ways?

Within TiVo Desktop, check Server/TiVo Server Properties/Network. TiVo Beacon is the brute force method (the PC sends out broadcast packets announcing the presence of TiVo Desktop), and should always work if your network is setup reasonably (both the PC and the Mini have to be on the same LAN).

I just downloaded TiVo Desktop, installed it, and set it to use TiVo Beacon. My Mini was able to pick it up right away once I changed to Beacon (Bonjour didn't work immediately for the Mini, though it did for the Roamio and Premiere Elite - I didn't bother trying to see what the Bonjour problem was; just changed to Beacon).
I don't know why I didn't try that. Its now working. Thanks!!