TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
mbonaparte

DVR not found- bad ethernet cable

I”m posting this for the help it might give someone else.... My three week nightmare trying to get my Mini to see my Roamio was caused by a bad ethernet cable. I spent a ton of money and replaced every piece of equipment, including buying a new $200 router, trying to get this to work. After all the trouble and money, I changed the ethernet cable on the Roamio based on a suggestion I got here. That $5 cable was the source of the problem. It was working well enough to say it had contacted the Tivo service, the techs on the other end could see that it had called in, but looking back it makes sense. Tivo had changed my MAK (twice), but the Roamio was not updating it. Tech support had to take down my Tivo account and re-activate everything to get the MAK to change. The cable was obviously only carrying part of the information. My mini is now working great (by MoCa no less).
mbonaparte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
DigitalDawn

So glad to hear that it's all working now. Sometimes the smallest parts are overlooked. With HDMI I always suspect it's the cable -- ethernet, not so much.
DigitalDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:39 AM   #3
markfheil

I wonder if that is what my problem is. Both my Roamio Pro and Mini seem to have internet connections that work. The program guide is updating, network diagnostics can connect to the Tivo servers, etc. Yet, periodically I get a "Cannot watch" error on the mini, stating that there is a network error between the Mini and my Roamio. My router is fine, the connections seem fine so there should be no reason for this.
markfheil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
mbonaparte

It’s easy enough to check. I beat my head against the wall for three weeks only to find the answer here. It was a two second fix and my Roamio and Mini found each other immediately. I assumed (we all know where that leads) that my wiring was ok because it was working on several levels.

And since I posted this six days ago everything is working flawlessly. I so wanted the Mini to work-- most people would have given up after a week with tech support but I HAD TO HAVE IT!!
mbonaparte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #5
dave13077

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday and today. I set up my new Romaio Pro yesterday to replace an Elite and regular Premiere. I the pro and new Mini would connect to the Tivo service OK but the Mini could not see the Pro. As a last ditch effort I switched out the ethernet cable and viola.... the mini was able to see the Pro.
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote