TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
gweempose

Anyone else starting to get bored of The Big Bang Theory?

This is a show that I used to watch religiously. I haven't technically missed an episode yet, but about a dozen of them have now piled up on my TiVo. I still think the show is funny, but it lost its freshness to me. It's always just the same old Sheldon being Sheldon stuff.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

It's been formulaic for a while- it seems that after a certain point sitcoms stick with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" model of generating the maximum number of episodes for syndication.

I wouldn't be expecting any huge changes at this point, although what they are going to do for the next three years is a little baffling.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Nope

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
This is a show that I used to watch religiously. I haven't technically missed an episode yet, but about a dozen of them have now piled up on my TiVo. I still think the show is funny, but it lost its freshness to me. It's always just the same old Sheldon being Sheldon stuff.
+1111101000

Try my new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
+1111101000
Yes Hank we all know your feelings towards the show

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
waynomo
My One Time

Yes, definitely getting a little stale. (Or has been for a while.)

I still enjoy it. If it wasn't for TiVo I probably would have stopped watching it.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Still love it - and watch it in reruns on TBS or Peachtree TV if there's nothing else to watch or I have a short time to fill.

Sheldon being Sheldon is funny. Sorry if you've stopped enjoying that fact.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #8
MLR930
Gamer Goddess

Nope not at all, very excited for a new episode tonight!

Xbox 360 Gamertag: GeekChic80
MLR930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #9
sharkster

I do agree that some things, particularly some character aspects like Sheldon the most, have been played out just about to the max already. It's still better than a lot of shows. I will remain loyal. I kind of wonder how they are going to freshen up the storylines and characters, though.

They still have enough per episode to make me laugh and entertain me. Perhaps I'm more easily entertained that some (it's entirely possible! heh). But I think they need some fresh blood or something.

As for Sheldon, I don't really think you can evolve him because then it would no longer be Sheldon. A character like this probably doesn't evolve but after a while I think it's unavoidable that it will become stale.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #10
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
I saw Season 1 Episode 1 on TBS last night... sure felt different.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #11
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Nope, still watching.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #12
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

I still watch it, but it's always been a second tier show for me.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:29 PM   #13
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
Yes Hank we all know your feelings towards the show
It was a joke. Would have

+0x3E8

been better?

Try my new

Last edited by Hank : 04-03-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #14
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I do agree that some things, particularly some character aspects like Sheldon the most, have been played out just about to the max already. It's still better than a lot of shows. I will remain loyal. I kind of wonder how they are going to freshen up the storylines and characters, though.

They still have enough per episode to make me laugh and entertain me. Perhaps I'm more easily entertained that some (it's entirely possible! heh). But I think they need some fresh blood or something.

As for Sheldon, I don't really think you can evolve him because then it would no longer be Sheldon. A character like this probably doesn't evolve but after a while I think it's unavoidable that it will become stale.
Pretty much sums up my feelings for the show. As with just about all sitcoms, most of the characters are now caricatures of themselves. They find the one defining trait of the character and harp on it each episode. But that gets old after awhile. Still if the writing is good it's still funny and that's where TBBT is.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:54 PM   #15
mr.unnatural

I don't think there's ever been a sitcom that could come up with enough fresh ideas to sustain it at the same level of humor when it was first introduced beyond a few seasons, except perhaps for Seinfeld. I do still enjoy Big Bang, but when they start resorting to potty humor and cheap sexual jokes it gets old in a hurry. OTOH, if they can ever get Sheldon to pop his cherry things might take a turn for the better (either that or it will end up jumping the shark). They've managed to keep things going by constantly introducing new characters into the mix. If it gets to the point where it becomes tedious I'll drop it.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #16
NashvilleKat
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Nope
This.

I'm accumulating the reruns on my NAS for future viewings. Nothing like watching a full day of sitcoms in order on a cold winter's day.
NashvilleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #17
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I don't think there's ever been a sitcom that could come up with enough fresh ideas to sustain it at the sam elevel when it was first introduced beyond a few seasons, except perhaps for Seinfeld. I do still enjoy Big Bang, but when they start resorting to potty humor and cheap sexual jokes it gets old in a hurry. OTOH, if they can ever get Sheldon to pop his cherry things might take a turn for the better (either that or it will end up jumping the shark). They've managed to keep things going by constantly introducing new characters into the mix.
I thought Seinfeld, the last season, was about done (and this could be because LD left more than anything). Yet when I watch in reruns, there are some pretty good episodes and a lot of catch phrases (Festivus, yada yada for example).

I actually thought Cheers was really good the first few years, then bottomed out during the years when they had on the rich guy dating Kirstie Alley, but then got better the last season or 2. But yeah, I have to agree, very few sitcoms can sustain it long term.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #18
gweempose

Quote:

I don't think there's ever been a sitcom that could come up with enough fresh ideas to sustain it at the same level of humor when it was first introduced beyond a few seasons, except perhaps for Seinfeld.
I agree with you about Seinfeld. I also think Friends is another sitcom that remained extremely funny for the duration of its run. By the end, there was so much character development and chemistry with the cast, that a simple look or glance could make you laugh. Very few shows stick around long enough, or are well enough written to reach this level.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #19
JYoung
Series 3

Nope.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #20
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleKat View Post
This.

I'm accumulating the reruns on my NAS for future viewings. Nothing like watching a full day of sitcoms in order on a cold winter's day.
On each of our 2 DVRs we just have season passes setup for Friends and BBT for 14 episodes, we probably watch 1-3 eps between those 2 shows every day. but just in the background or falling asleep (Mix in futurama for falling asleep part)

Old 04-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #21
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I thought Seinfeld, the last season, was about done (and this could be because LD left more than anything). Yet when I watch in reruns, there are some pretty good episodes and a lot of catch phrases (Festivus, yada yada for example).

I actually thought Cheers was really good the first few years, then bottomed out during the years when they had on the rich guy dating Kirstie Alley, but then got better the last season or 2. But yeah, I have to agree, very few sitcoms can sustain it long term.
Fraiser! I'm down to the last 4-5 eps of rewatching it all (started about a year ago) and I think season 1-10 are all on the same awesome level. This last season is just a HAIR below the others

Old 04-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #22
NashvilleKat
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
On each of our 2 DVRs we just have season passes setup for Friends and BBT for 14 episodes, we probably watch 1-3 eps between those 2 shows every day. but just in the background or falling asleep (Mix in futurama for falling asleep part)
I just ordered 2 4tb drives to add to my NAS. I just started accumulating, BBT, Cheers, Seinfeld, Married With Children, and My Name is Earl so I can put them on the NAS. We always liked those shows and found we watch the re-runs a lot so I'm putting them on the NAS for in-order viewing.

I'd also like to add Frasier, Newhart and The Bob Newhart Show when someone starts showing them.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #23
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleKat View Post
I just ordered 2 4tb drives to add to my NAS. I just started accumulating, BBT, Cheers, Seinfeld, Married With Children, and My Name is Earl so I can put them on the NAS. We always liked those shows and found we watch the re-runs a lot so I'm putting them on the NAS for in-order viewing.

I'd also like to add Frasier, Newhart and The Bob Newhart Show when someone starts showing them.
Fraiser - Hallmark channel (if you get it), ALL the time
If you have Netflix or Prime, it's on there too

Old 04-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #24
NashvilleKat
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Fraiser - Hallmark channel (if you get it), ALL the time
Thanks. I missed it somehow.

Last edited by NashvilleKat : 04-03-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #25
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
I don't think there's ever been a sitcom that could come up with enough fresh ideas to sustain it at the same level of humor when it was first introduced beyond a few seasons, except perhaps for Seinfeld.
I think the biggest difference between BBT and Seinfeld is that BBT is spending most of every episode to develop each of the main characters and their relationships, which is one way to go. On Seinfeld, you had the 4 main characters, but every show brought in new, transient, characters to tell a new story (or scenario,problem,puzzle,caper) each time, which kept it fresh. They didn't just focus on Jerry, George, Elaine, and Kramer. It was more about how those 4 interacted with everyone else, and less so how they interacted with each other (although that was some of it).

I think BBT is alot more like Friends, where the main focus is the core group and their internal interactions.

Try my new
Old 04-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #26
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Still enjoy TBBT quite a bit and since it's the highest-rated show on broadcast TV, it's not going away anytime soon (just got renewed for three years). Also, because of the massive ratings, the producers have no incentive to tinker with the formula. It's working very well.

Having said that, I still watch my recordings of Community and Parks & Rec before I watch TBBT.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #27
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Still enjoy TBBT quite a bit and since it's the highest-rated show on broadcast TV, it's not going away anytime soon (just got renewed for three years). Also, because of the massive ratings, the producers have no incentive to tinker with the formula. It's working very well. Having said that, I still watch my recordings of Community and Parks & Rec before I watch TBBT.
Community? Talk about stale. A show that every week the friends forget they are friends and learn a big life lesson that they promptly forget all while wearing outlandish costumes and playing outlandish games. And this has been the same from the first season.

BBT has not grown stale at all.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #28
replaytv
home brewed chaos

I thoroughly love some of the current episodes, and am bored stiff with others. I DO love to watch old episodes of BBT and catch things I missed the first 3 times I watched them. I still watch Seinfeld, the old 2 and 1/2 men, Married with Children, but never got into Friends, or anything Kelsy Grammer was in.

I would like to see Penny go to AA, she is not funny as a drunk.

And have Howard, his Mom, and his wife move to Canada.

I hope Raj gets involved with the Vet'. She is delicious!
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #29
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
I would like to see Penny go to AA, she is not funny as a drunk.
While Penny drinks, I seriously do not think she's an alcoholic who needs AA.

Try my new
Old 04-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #30
replaytv
home brewed chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
While Penny drinks, I seriously do not think she's an alcoholic who needs AA.
Hmmm..... I will have to watch her more and think about that. Pretty much now I ignore her unfunny character and enjoy the others. I do look at her butt if she turns around though. I am not neutered yet. Her face looks like she is a drunk or is going drugs or eating very badly.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote