TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-18-2014, 01:06 AM   #1
ghenry1111

Where can I *see* a Roamio Pro before buying?

I am definitely interested in buying a Roamio Pro but would like to see the user interface first before buying.

My favorite local store in Chicago (Abt dot com) no longer has them on display, but will sell them to me.

None of the Best Buy stores around me have one on display. They say they used to have them on display a year or two ago, before they reconfigured the stores.

Where might I see and use a Roamio Pro?

Would rather not go through the hassle of buying and installing (dealing with Comcast and Cable Card install) just to see the Roamio.

ghenry1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:12 AM   #2
tarheelblue32

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2TcjFAd-uM

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:05 AM   #3
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

A couple things are out of date in that video. The netflix client is updated compared to what is in the video, and the Amazon Prime and Vudu apps are missing, but otherwise it captures things pretty good!

-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:10 AM   #4
tarheelblue32

It also doesn't have the newer 3-column view for the "My Shows" section, but otherwise it does a pretty good job of visually representing the Roamio UI.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
vurbano

The OP has a great question. Why does no one (best buy, walmart etc) demo this? It would really increase subs IMO.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
jrtroo
User

But does is increase their revenue more than some other endcap? If their folks are not trained in it, a one-of-a-kind item, it may be easier to train them on products that are more similar...

Old 12-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #7
jth tv

It is pretty much the same thing as a standard DVR. What do you expect you would not like ? The colors, the style of the menus ?

jth tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
ghenry1111

I might not like the colors or menus? No, that's not it. Go deeper... am i going to need to click 8 times to do something I will regularly do? Does it appear to reliably differentiate between "new" airing of a show and "repeat" airing of a show? Is the unit annoyingly slow from screen to screen or as I "type" letters on a virtual keyboard using up/down/left/right arrows?

And, because I don't know the product, I don't know what I might love about it. Or hate.

These are things I cannot determine by looking at a youtube video. Looking to see/touch/feel the product before I buy.

Another part of my concern -- why is it so hard to find one in a brick and mortar store? If they are so great, why not showcase them, let them sell themselves, and make some bucks???!!! Unless showcasing them let's people see the flaws in the product.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
jrtroo
User

Last question- asked and answered. Tivo would love to have big displays at all locations, but unless the store feels it maximizes profits when compared with other products, it will not get that prime space.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
trip1eX

30 day return policy from Tivo. BestBuy also has return policy.

That's really the only way (and the best way) to get as much hands-on feel as you would require.

trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:31 AM   #11
jth tv

I just bought my first Tivo Roamio Basic in June, works great. With cabletv it worked fine, I am now using it with an Antenna.

Have you tried looking at the negative reviews on amazon and bestbuy ? While I sometimes dismiss a few of them (or anything wifi), if enough people say the same thing, then it probably is true. For example, the common downsides mentioned for Tivo is No On Demand for Time Warner and paying $15/mth. Setup is a little more work than with a cable company supplied box, but that is pretty much a one shot or very rare deal. I had Zero problems with Time Warner.

It works pretty much like a standard dvr, look at the tv guide, select the show, press record. My impression is that for most things it takes less steps and works better, for example, maintaining and using favorites is very nice. New vs repeat is the essentially the same as Time Warner as they both get their data from Tribune Media. Tivo is much better about Season number and Episode Number. Typing is not much different than other equipment I have tried. I don't see any gotchas for what you asked about.

Why do you Think it may be better than a Comcast supplied dvr ? I sure people here could separate hype from fact with on hands experience.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #12
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghenry1111 View Post
I might not like the colors or menus? No, that's not it. Go deeper... am i going to need to click 8 times to do something I will regularly do? Does it appear to reliably differentiate between "new" airing of a show and "repeat" airing of a show? Is the unit annoyingly slow from screen to screen or as I "type" letters on a virtual keyboard using up/down/left/right arrows?

And, because I don't know the product, I don't know what I might love about it. Or hate.

These are things I cannot determine by looking at a youtube video. Looking to see/touch/feel the product before I buy.

Another part of my concern -- why is it so hard to find one in a brick and mortar store? If they are so great, why not showcase them, let them sell themselves, and make some bucks???!!! Unless showcasing them let's people see the flaws in the product.
Most of the major menus can be accessed using two button shortcuts:

Tivo Button x2 - My Shows List
Tivo Button + "1" - Season Pass Manager
Tivo Button + "2" - To Do List
Tivo Button + "3" - WishList Search
Tivo Button + "4" - Search
Tivo Button + "5" - Browse TV & Movies

"New" shows (Original Air Date is the same as air date listed in the guide) are shown with a "New" badge after the Episode title. Season Pass recordings can be configured to ignore repeats, so if all you want to watch are new shows, it will only record those.

The speed of menu to menu navigation on a Roamio could never be described as "annoyingly slow". Almost all transitions are <1 second. You can watch any number of user reviews of the Roamio showing the menu speed. While the previously linked Tivo video is partially edited, user reviews will show you real-time interaction to get a feel for responsiveness. The slowest things are 3rd party apps like Netflix, Vudu, Amazon Prime, etc. that might take ~10 seconds to load, but then are very responsive to navigate.

I understand the desire to see it and get a feel for it. Before I bought my first Tivo 7 years, ago, I had experience with using a friends Tivo and knew what to expect.

As to why you don't see them prominently displayed in stores, while it might help sales, people get hung up with the idea of buying a DVR. Tivo is definitely superior to any currently available Cable TV DVR, but just like cell phones, customers have been conditioned to free or nearly free equipment with a monthly fee as part of a contract. It's had to break that paradigm and get people to realize they can actually save money over the long-term by buying their DVR. Lackluster Cable Card installation support by Cable TV providers is also a barrier to entry to less tech savvy people who don't want the hassle.

tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:10 AM   #13
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghenry1111 View Post

Unfortunately, the world is changing to a point when there will be NO products for us to feel and try out in person. I have found that YouTube is all there is for most products to see what they are like, and while it may not be the same as actually operating one, I do credit YouTube and the kind people who take the time to post videos and narration and to show me how things go WRONG with a product after actually living with it for a while even better than just touching the always working well but hiding ugly things to come floor model.

Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:15 AM   #14
Series3Sub

I do think someone should post a NEW TiVo Roamio and Mini YouTube video showing the very latest enhancements---AND be willing to point out a few of TiVo's limitations to avoid disappointment because one is led to believe any product, even TiVo is perfect. It would be nice if some of the old TiVo videos would be pulled by those who made them because the old vids lacking the latest enhancements make TiVo look inaccurately inadequate or behind the times, but I'm sure people want their old "TiVo not in the best light" videos to stay up.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:17 AM   #15
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
I do think someone should post a NEW TiVo Roamio and Mini YouTube video showing the very latest enhancements---AND be willing to point out a few of TiVo's limitations to avoid disappointment because one is led to believe any product, even TiVo is perfect. It would be nice if some of the old TiVo videos would be pulled by those who made them because the old vids lacking the latest enhancements make TiVo look inaccurately inadequate or behind the times, but I'm sure people want their old "TiVo not in the best light" videos to stay up.
Yeah maybe Tivo should do their own video too.

I find return policies though are there to let you test drive the product.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #16
telemark

In my area, none of the BestBuys have a display anymore, but all the Magnolia in BestBuys have a Roamio Pro, but reluctantly so. You have to get them to switch to the input, and even when you do, they don't have any channels to looks at.

The old Premiere and Roamio basic demo loops were better.

There are a lot or Roamio Pro/+ on Slingboxes. You might be better off trying to make a friend who'll let you take theirs on a test drive.

telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:15 PM   #17
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Sometimes a retailer will showcase a product on their own if they have a lot of stock and want to move it or if it has a lot of buzz and they want to create traffic.. But in general, the distributor (TiVo in this case) has to pay the retailer for special product placement.

TiVo simply needs to decide if an end cap display is worth the marketing dollars for them. In the past they did, probably as part of an exclusivity deal with Best Buy, today they don't.

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #18
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
Yeah maybe Tivo should do their own video too.

I find return policies though are there to let you test drive the product.
Oddly, TiVo does a pretty rotten job of such videos. I have found the consumer home made ones far better, and honest or at least they spend more time going into detail about a feature and how it looks on the HDTV. I don't have the means to do a video myself, so I was hoping some one who does could.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:03 PM   #19
ghenry1111

Wonderful commentary. Great community.

I will check out some of the non-TiVo produced videos on Youtube and perhaps bite the bullet (that is, invest the time in Comcast visit to install a cable card just to try the product on my own).

May go with weaknees dot com just to get a bit more hard drive space.

Thanks again!

Old 12-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #20
jlb
NCC-1701-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Most of the major menus can be accessed using two button shortcuts:

Tivo Button x2 - My Shows List
Tivo Button + "1" - Season Pass Manager
Tivo Button + "2" - To Do List
Tivo Button + "3" - WishList Search
Tivo Button + "4" - Search
Tivo Button + "5" - Browse TV & Movies

Minor quibble......

These only work as you have written if you are not yet at TiVo Central/Home. If you already are, the press of the TiVo button takes you away from the Central/Home page.

Just a minor clarification. But thanks for noting for others....I use these ALL the time!

Old 12-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #21
nyjklein
J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
Minor quibble......

These only work as you have written if you are not yet at TiVo Central/Home. If you already are, the press of the TiVo button takes you away from the Central/Home page.

Just a minor clarification. But thanks for noting for others....I use these ALL the time!
But if you're already at TiVo Central, you just have to hit the number (the second button that is) alone as the shortcut! e.g. "2" takes you to "ToDo".

Jeff

P.S. To the OP, can't you pick up a cablecard from Comcast instead of scheduling a service call?

nyjklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #22
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
In my area, none of the BestBuys have a display anymore, but all the Magnolia in BestBuys have a Roamio Pro, but reluctantly so. You have to get them to switch to the input, and even when you do, they don't have any channels to looks at.

The old Premiere and Roamio basic demo loops were better.

There are a lot or Roamio Pro/+ on Slingboxes. You might be better off trying to make a friend who'll let you take theirs on a test drive.
Face it, if its not the latest white box idevice the blue shirt cretins want nothing to do with it and any customer that asks to see it is obviously of the uncool and un washed variety. There is a reason BestBuy is failing, same way Circuit City and the others did. Amazon and other online retailers will be the only game for electronics and entertainment devices. BestBuy's only remaining hope is in installed home theater and major appliances.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #23
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Face it, if its not the latest white box idevice the blue shirt cretins want nothing to do with it and any customer that asks to see it is obviously of the uncool and un washed variety. There is a reason BestBuy is failing, same way Circuit City and the others did. Amazon and other online retailers will be the only game for electronics and entertainment devices. BestBuy's only remaining hope is in installed home theater and major appliances.
Lately BB has been turning it around.

And Tivo probably doesn't sell enough for BB to give it enough shelf space for a proper display.

Tivo should work with BB tho and set up a test display in a store somewhere and then work on it and see if they can it get successful enough for roll out across more BB stores.

OR what about a Tivo rental program? What if BB carried a few rental Tivos. A customer could come in and grab a rental Tivo for $15 and bring it home and hook it up to test out. Even better if it already had a cablecard on it and service for a few weeks. Or if customer could purchase service and a cablecard thru BB.

Last edited by trip1eX; 12-22-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #24
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

FWIW, last time I visited Best Buy (about two months ago) there was a Roamio OTA very near the front center of the store, oddly grouped in with their Home Automation products, but it was very prominently displayed..it wasn't functioning, but it had a large colorful sign with some product literature, along with several OTA boxes ready for someone to pick up, along with accessories like HDMI cables and (if memory serves) a couple 'HD' antennas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #25
jth tv

For many items (including TiVo), they have the same price as Amazon and for me, they are close.

I liked that BestBuy included delivery, unboxing, installing the stand and lifting the TV onto the cabinet (whew) and disposal of the old TV with the very competitive, actually, the best price. When I replace the TV, I will buy from them again.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:37 PM   #26
Bigg

Does RCN have stores you can walk into and try out their hardware? Even if they don't serve the OP's area, they do have a strong presence in the Chicago area, and other than some differences in the apps/VOD that their TiVos offer from retail TiVos, everything else is the same.

Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote