TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
astrohip
Stuart F

The Trophy Wife "Pilot" S1E1 09/24/2013

This was funny! I was very pleasantly surprised. Only recorded because I typically try to watch all new sitcoms, and honestly, I didn't have high hopes, nor did I really care. Just didn't sound that appealing. And the reviews were mixed.

And this is why we actually WATCH THEM. I thought this was funny, and for a pilot, surprisingly well-fleshed out. First off, the actors are great. Between Malin Ackerman, Bradley Whitford, Marcia Gay Harden and others, they have an amazingly deep cast. Both Whitford and Harden could do this in their sleep, yet they really seemed to bring their A game (ok, no more cliches).

It was funny, had a catchy plot, no characters you immediately hate or think "miscast", but mainly, kept me laughing and entertained the entire time.

If I had a single complaint, it would be the sheer number of characters we had to meet. But any sitcom pilot faces this, and I'm sure within a couple of eps, they'll be family.

Again, as with many sitcom pilots, the first five minutes have some cringe and you want to delete it right then. But unlike most pilots, where it takes an episode or two before the fun overcomes the cringe, within minutes I was liking this.

I have no idea what the buzz is, or if anyone watched. It may be doomed from the start. But I liked it.

Try it!
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
billypritchard
Embiggener

I give this a big thumbs up too. Malin Ackerman plays slapstick so well, she was really funny.

I think they missed out by not putting this behind Modern Family. It plays to the same demographic I think, not so smarmy as Suburgatory (which I like, but could also be pretty wacky crappy).
Old 09-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
astrohip
Stuart F

Positive review:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3986505.html

And another:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mauree...b_3983307.html

Quote:
One of the fall's most promising shows, on the other hand, is "Trophy Wife," which is filled with recognizable actors who are not quite household names (though I suppose that depends on the household). "Trophy Wife" (9:30 p.m. ET Tuesday, ABC) is charming and buoyant, and it has fun with tasks that feel like homework on many other new shows: It creates specific characters, establishes a consistent tone and sets up a host of relationships that are full of potential. There are not many new programs to get excited about this fall, but the pilots for "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" and "Trophy Wife" are among the few that I enjoyed watching more than once.

The most impressive thing about "Trophy Wife," which stars Malin Akerman as the third wife of a guy played by Bradley Whitford, is that it gets so much done in an entertaining fashion without breaking much of a sweat. Creating comedy that feels breezy yet anchored in real emotions is incredibly hard, but "Trophy Wife" is like a duck on a pond: The feet below may be paddling furiously, but all you see is graceful gliding. The ace cast, which also includes Marcia Gay Harden, Michaela Watkins and Natalie Morales, meshes very well, and (miracle of miracles!) the various kids on the show are actually winning, not grating.
I think they may have done some serious damage with this title. This is one of the few sitcoms I had NOT planned to try, as the title turned me off (I had visions of a chick-flick show). Only watched because of a couple of positive reviews.

Seriously, what was ABC thinking? Cougar Town? Trophy Wife? Do they care if shows succeed?
Old 09-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
TonyD79

Yup. I reluctantly hit play but then found that of all the new shows, this was struck the best chord. Introduced the characters quickly and clearly and used that for humor right off the bat. Almost everyone has something you can like about them and understand while having quirks that make them stand out and leads naturally to comedy.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I had little hope for it and even deleted the ARWL at one time because I thought it would be crap. As it turns out, it's by far the best new show this season so far.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
getreal
postcrastinator

I loved the little Asian boy locked in the car and working the lady's cellphone. He is a fantastic young actor!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I had little hope for it and even deleted the ARWL at one time because I thought it would be crap. As it turns out, it's by far the best new show this season so far.
Oddly, yes.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I enjoyed it and will most likely keep watching.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #9
marksman
ID-10-T

Only new comedy I have found funny so far. It is very much in the vein of Modern Family but I really enjoyed it. Malin Ackerman is about as fearless a comedic actor as you will find.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:34 AM   #10
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

I enjoyed this, as well. I don't watch a lot of sitcoms -- just How I Met Your Mother, and only because this is the Season of the Mother -- but Trophy Wife gets an SP for now.

(I'll also be sampling The Crazy Ones and The Michael J. Fox Show, but I'm holding out hope only for the latter. Decided not to continue with Brooklyn Nine-Nine.)
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
I give this a big thumbs up too. Malin Ackerman plays slapstick so well, she was really funny.

I think they missed out by not putting this behind Modern Family. It plays to the same demographic I think, not so smarmy as Suburgatory (which I like, but could also be pretty wacky crappy).
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
Only new comedy I have found funny so far. It is very much in the vein of Modern Family but I really enjoyed it. Malin Ackerman is about as fearless a comedic actor as you will find.
ABC has put "Super Fun Night" after Modern Family, starting next week. If SFN is the next Modern Family, then good decision. Otherwise, the schedulers have once again stuck their heads up the @$$es by missing this. This show has the potential to be a medium sized hit for ABC. By premiering it on a night with FOUR other premieres, it's almost guaranteed to get lost in the crowd. By premiering it after The Goldbergs, a show that will be challenged to keep viewers and as poor a lead-in as I can imagine, they doomed it.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think this is a case of poor scheduling killing a show. I say that without knowing what next week's numbers will be. I hope I'm wrong and retention stays high. But the early numbers don't look good.

ABC is run by idiots. They truly are.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
ABC has put "Super Fun Night" after Modern Family, starting next week. If SFN is the next Modern Family, then good decision. Otherwise, the schedulers have once again stuck their heads up the @$$es by missing this. This show has the potential to be a medium sized hit for ABC. By premiering it on a night with FOUR other premieres, it's almost guaranteed to get lost in the crowd. By premiering it after The Goldbergs, a show that will be challenged to keep viewers and as poor a lead-in as I can imagine, they doomed it.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think this is a case of poor scheduling killing a show. I say that without knowing what next week's numbers will be. I hope I'm wrong and retention stays high. But the early numbers don't look good.

funny you say this because i missed the pilot because i changed channels after the Goldbergs started and i didn't realize trophy wife was on after them.

it was also a pilot i wasn't necessarily trying to keep an eye out for so i didn't set it to record previously. the only reason i checked it out was because i clicked on this thread and saw good initial comments. and i enjoyed it. SP is set.
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #13
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo99 View Post
funny you say this because i missed the pilot because i changed channels after the Goldbergs started and i didn't realize trophy wife was on after them. it was also a pilot i wasn't necessarily trying to keep an eye out for so i didn't set it to record previously. the only reason i checked it out was because i clicked on this thread and saw good initial comments. and i enjoyed it. SP is set.
I had to check. I am in a TiVo forum. You changed channels?
Old 09-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #14
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
I had to check. I am in a TiVo forum. You changed channels?
heh.. .yeah, i think i was watching SHIELD (is that what was on before Goldbergs?), having started it late so we could FF thru commercials, and we caught up right around the end of the show. The tivo wasn't recording anything at that time so i was on live tv and when the goldbergs came on, i had no desire to watch that, so i started flipping through channels. then ended up watching something else that was recorded... but totally didn't realize trophy wife was on afterwards.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #15
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

I watched a few clips of Super Fun Night. GIANT FLOP written all over it. It makes zero sense for them not to pair Trophy Wife (with a better name) with Modern Family. So dumb.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
astrohip
Stuart F

Another very positive review. And brings up the Modern Family comparison.

http://www.chicagonow.com/couple-cri...e-trophy-wife/

If this fails, I'm going to think bad thoughts about ABC.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #17
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I also was very pleasantly surprised with this. This was another of my, "what the heck, I have 5 tuners so I'll record it" shows and we really liked it. I also felt the Modern Family vibe with a bit of Legally Blonde. My one complaint for the pilot is I felt they tried to cram in TOO many story lines, to try and introduce us to each character.

One thing I'm unclear about, who is Natalie Morales' character supposed to be. Is she Malin's friend?
Old 09-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #18
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Yes she was the one singing karaoke with Malin
Old 09-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #19
kar74
hi.

It was an okay show for me. I definitely think the little Asian boy stole the show. He's an amazing actor. :-). I might give it another chance before setting a SP.
kar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #20
sharkster

I really enjoyed it. I'm staying. I find Malin Ackerman intriguing and she's funny. Of course it was kitschy and predictable, but then most sitcoms are. I still enjoy a decent sitcom. I've watched a few of the new ones so far and haven't seen one (yup, even Dads) that I am deleting.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #21
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar74 View Post
It was an okay show for me. I definitely think the little Asian boy stole the show. He's an amazing actor. :-). I might give it another chance before setting a SP.
I got a horndog!
Old 09-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #22
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
I got a horndog!
I loved that the kid named the new puppy 'Horndog'. Great gag they can keep bringing in the whole show.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #23
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I was listening to a TV podcast this morning and they talked about this show. They felt it will have the same problem Cougartown had with the show's naming. That "middle America" will have a problem with a show name Trophy Wife.

edit: I now see someone mentioned something similar further back. So, no need for anyone to point that out.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #24
milo99

kinda reminds me of Sports Night. women thought it was a sports show, not the drama/comedy that it was so it didn't get a big female following.