TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #91
squint

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Acker was promoted to regular on Person of Interest this season so I'm going to guess her availability is limited.
Felicia Day then.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #92
Azlen

Quote:
Acker was promoted to regular on Person of Interest this season so I'm going to guess her availability is limited.
Being a regular on a show on another network didn't prevent them from getting Cobie Smulders to appear in the pilot.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #93
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Dichen Lachman needs to be in this
Old 09-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #94
secondclaw

The dialogue made me smile - it really was the only reason I ever watch Whedon shows.
Loved the response from Skye on the cosplay comment: What???! I would ... it was just one time.
secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #95
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Being a regular on a show on another network didn't prevent them from getting Cobie Smulders to appear in the pilot.
But Cobie Smulders already has a well-established role in the Marvel/SHIELD universe, which I'm sure Marvel could leverage somewhat, especially since her show on that other network is ending. Acker does not.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #96
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
But Cobie Smulders already has a well-established role in the Marvel/SHIELD universe, which I'm sure Marvel could leverage somewhat, especially since her show on that other network is ending. Acker does not.
Plus she is planned on for the future Marvel movies.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #97
Azlen

That makes it more likely that ABC would want Cobie to appear in the show but it wouldn't have much bearing on CBS letting her appear on another network. Where her leverage with CBS existed is that they needed the cast to sign another contract for the final season of HIMYM and she probably stipulated that she wouldn't reup without the ability to guest star on SHIELD.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #98
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Plus she is planned on for the future Marvel movies.
And this way they didn't have to pay Samuel L. Jackson.
Quote:
That makes it more likely that ABC would want Cobie to appear in the show but it wouldn't have much bearing on CBS letting her appear on another network. Where her leverage with CBS existed is that they needed the cast to sign another contract for the final season of HIMYM and she probably stipulated that she wouldn't reup without the ability to guest star on SHIELD.
I doubt CBS had any ability to stop her, as long as her SHIELD work didn't interfere with her HIMYM work. And since her appearance here could easily have been shot on a Sunday morning, I doubt there was ever an issue.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #99
gweempose

I'd love to see Cobie join the cast permanently once HIMYM is over. She's pretty smokin' in that SHIELD uniform!
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #100
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
I said limited availability as opposed to no availability.

While we don't know how often Smulders will appear in SHIELD (or if she has any scenes for the rest of the season), logistically, it's probably a lot easier for her to slip away for a morning or afternoon from a 30 minute show shot on the Fox lot over to (I'm guessing) the Disney Studios in Burbank then it would be for Acker to have a long enough break to fly in from New York where the 60 minute Person of Interest is shot.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:52 AM   #101
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

They could have had Skye make a BttF comment and Coulson correct her, but maybe they didn't have time.

I enjoyed all the Whedon wit and humor. The story felt like a promise of something, not an actual something; maybe that'll turn out to be bad, but I don't think so. I think it's better than every pilot that tries to cram in the highest possible stakes and biggest set pieces in with the exposition and just ends up overburdened.

Sound editing needs work. The soundtrack was too high too often.

Introducing a super-powerful truth serum in the first episode's not necessarily a good idea; now he's going to have to periodically write excuses why it can't be used to solve the problem of the week. Don't think it was worth that, just for that one gag and twist.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #102
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

Watched it last night. It was pretty good. I didn't shut it off, which means something, since I have about a million other things I want to be doing at any given time.

I do like how this is the same Universe as the movie.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #103
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlsinger View Post
I'm Whedon's bitch. In for the duration.
We're going to have a big crowd in this section of the room
Old 09-26-2013, 06:51 AM   #104
mr.unnatural

I watched it. I liked it. I think a lot of people were expecting it to be a huge blockbuster show like The Avengers movie. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense how they started the series. You don't want to start off with a blockbuster opening because then there'd be nowhere to go but down. I think Whedon is just throwing us a big enough bone to keep us coming back so he can build things up as the show develops.

The one thing that departed from the movie is that they make it seem like Coulson's group is the focal point of S.H.I.E.L.D. and not so much a huge organization, which, of course, everyone knows is not the case. I expect the show will concentrate mainly on this small group, but I think they also need to expose us to the entire S.H.I.E.L.D. universe along the way.

I'm in for the duration. I'm another Whedon groupie so that alone is enough to keep me interested. I also grew up with Marvel comics back in the 60's. I'm still kicking myself for selling my collection of early Marvel comics back in the 70's. I could have put both my kids through college with the money they're worth today.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #105
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
hot brunette..hot brunette...hot brunette ..guess hot blonde must be a power.

Hope they keep the dialogue style going and the series doesn't start going the 'lets make our voices low and raspy so we cab show we're serious' route.
That's a problem with the show for me, all those girls kinds of look alike and I kept getting confused who was who. It was ok, but a bit boring. It's a pilot so I'll allow for that. SP set, but tenuous for now.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #106
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
The one thing that departed from the movie is that they make it seem like Coulson's group is the focal point of S.H.I.E.L.D. and not so much a huge organization, which, of course, everyone knows is not the case.
How did they do that? As you say, this was one small outfit within SHIELD. I never got the impression that it was anything else.

I certainly haven't gotten the impression that Maria Hill and Nick Fury are just sitting their twiddling their thumbs waiting to hear what Coulson's been up to!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #107
dcheesi
...I'm not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I find it interesting that although this show was developed and the pilot shot before the whole NSA thing blew up, it very much reflects that reality.

Which means either Joss Whedon can see the future, or the whole NSA thing didn't happen in a vacuum. U decide!
I was actually wondering how this is going to play in a post-Snowden world. I think they did a pretty good job of defusing the "MIB" creepiness, but part of me still feels like it's almost propaganda for the NSA at this point (realizing it wasn't designed that way of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
I was thinking "where's Summer Glau?"
What, do you want the show to get cancelled?!?!

Quote:
How did they do that? As you say, this was one small outfit within SHIELD. I never got the impression that it was anything else.

I certainly haven't gotten the impression that Maria Hill and Nick Fury are just sitting their twiddling their thumbs waiting to hear what Coulson's been up to!
I can see the point, though; while there's clearly a larger organization, there's a danger that in focusing everything on this team, it won't feel like there's a larger organization at work.

One thing that bugged me along those lines here was when they investigated the crime scene. It didn't look like it had been touched, yet there were no barriers up either. There should have been cops or MIB or something keeping a perimeter, at least, but we saw nothing.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #108
late for dinner
Always Hungry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypacman View Post
Disappointment overall. It did not carry enough comic book flavor for me.
Not having a comic book flavor works for me. My wife seemed to enjoy the show although she claimed she was indifferent I liked it so far.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #109
loubob57
Running Fool

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheesi View Post
One thing that bugged me along those lines here was when they investigated the crime scene. It didn't look like it had been touched, yet there were no barriers up either. There should have been cops or MIB or something keeping a perimeter, at least, but we saw nothing.
There was still a burnt body in there! You'd think that would have been carted off by the medical examiner.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #110
Queue
Fire and Blood

Was there a quick scene when Gunn punched the door off the van that the door came flying at Coulson and it looked like he dodged it with super-human speed/reflexes?

Also that phrase about Tahiti that Coulson kept saying sounded like some sort of trigger that someone would use instead of a typical one-liner you would expect from Whedon.

I saw someone mentioned LMD earlier in the thread and not being a comic person I wasn't sure what that was so I googled it and that almost seems where they're going with it.
Queue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #111
allan
I survived the Mayan

This has potential. So far, I like it.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #112
loubob57
Running Fool

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queue View Post
Was there a quick scene when Gunn punched the door off the van that the door came flying at Coulson and it looked like he dodged it with super-human speed/reflexes?

Also that phrase about Tahiti that Coulson kept saying sounded like some sort of trigger that someone would use instead of a typical one-liner you would expect from Whedon.

I saw someone mentioned LMD earlier in the thread and not being a comic person I wasn't sure what that was so I googled it and that almost seems where they're going with it.
I think this may be significant.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #113
ehusen
Geek not Nerd

Quote:
I too love Amy Acker and we watch POI. Just watched the season opener and the final scene with her and her psychiatrist gave me chills. She is really a good actress.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #114
Dirk Legume

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
We're going to have a big crowd in this section of the room
Save me a seat please.
Dirk Legume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #115
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehusen View Post
I too love Amy Acker and we watch POI. Just watched the season opener and the final scene with her and her psychiatrist gave me chills. She is really a good actress.
She has really been great in POI!
Old 09-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #116
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
The one thing that departed from the movie is that they make it seem like Coulson's group is the focal point of S.H.I.E.L.D. and not so much a huge organization, which, of course, everyone knows is not the case.
Not everyone. I have no clue. I'm not familiar with any of the comic book stuff. As such, I immediately called back to BTTF with the flying car.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #117
TheSlyBear
Opinionated Walrus

I liked it a lot. My partner was more "Meh+", but he also pointed out "Sort of what you expect from a pilot". We'll keep watching.

Some of the technology scenes had me rolling my eyes, but then I reminded myself "it's a comic book -- let it go" and was able to enjoy it.

Some of the dialog made me laugh out loud.

My only annoyance is the Wonder Twins whom I can hardly understand given their thick accents and the pace at which they speak.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #118
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlyBear View Post

My only annoyance is the Wonder Twins whom I can hardly understand given their thick accents and the pace at which they speak.
Every time they were on the screen, I kept thinking how much better the Topher character was on Dollhouse. I can understand why Joss went another direction, though. The idea of a geeky tech genius has become so cliche and overused (i.e. Birkhoff on Nikita or Felicity on Arrow).
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #119
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
I don't even remember them having accents... were they british accents? I watch a LOT of british TV so maybe i'm more acclimated.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #120
mr.unnatural

Quote:

We all know it's part of a larger organization. However, anyone not familar with the comics or hasn't seen The Avengers movie may get a different impression. I realize it's just the first episode and no doubt the storyline will spill over to the rest of the organization. It just seemed like the first episode was severely compartmentalized and some folks might not realize that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
Not everyone. I have no clue. I'm not familiar with any of the comic book stuff. As such, I immediately called back to BTTF with the flying car.
Defense rests, your honor.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote