TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

The Big Bang Theory [04/05/12] - "The Hawking Excitation"

Once again Bernadette gets the best line in the show:

Bernadette: You're being mean to him.
Howard: He's mean to me all the time. You've heard him tease me about not having a doctorate.
Bernadette: If you don't want to get teased about that, get a doctorate. I have one; they're great.
ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaCat View Post

Howard: He's mean to me all the time. You've heard him tease me about not having a doctorate.
Bernadette: If you don't want to get teased about that, get a doctorate. I have one; they're great.
Meh...not so good IMO. Ep was fine, thought not on par with most BBTs...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

The visual image of Sheldon in a french maid outfit was just horribly wrong. Unsee! Unsee!
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
MikeMar
Go Pats

Howard having just ONE belt Must be a pain to keep changing buckles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
Hank
AC•FTW

I'm weird...when I see a scene like the belt buckle scene, with at least 100 different chrome belt buckles, some poor set designer/set dresser or more likely an intern had to go out and source 100+ chrome belt buckles just for that one gag. (That is, source all the ones they haven't already used on the show).
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I'm weird...when I see a scene like the belt buckle scene, with at least 100 different chrome belt buckles, some poor set designer/set dresser or more likely an intern had to go out and source 100+ chrome belt buckles just for that one gag. (That is, source all the ones they haven't already used on the show).
Maybe the gag originated from somebody seeing the box of belt buckles they have for Howard in the costume department...
Old 04-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Quote:
If you have ever watched a behind the scenes set tour, they already had them.
Howard even has his own room in the wardrobe department.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyPPIL6-_gk
Old 04-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaCat View Post

That's a lot of effort to avoid being teased by Sheldon -- and let's be honest, Sheldon still wouldn't respect him. Sheldon respects only a handful of people other than himself.
JustAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Jonathan_S

Quote:
More like 80 or so. But shouldn't Sheldon's natural OCD have caused him to arrange them in even rows and columns on the bed? (And then I could have multiplied to get the total)
They were almost organized, but some odd instances of rows doubling up towards the left side of the bed.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAllie View Post
That's a lot of effort to avoid being teased by Sheldon -- and let's be honest, Sheldon still wouldn't respect him. Sheldon respects only a handful of people other than himself.
Oh suuuurrrreeeee, that's easy for you to say.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
More like 80 or so. But shouldn't Sheldon's natural OCD have caused him to arrange them in even rows and columns on the bed? (And then I could have multiplied to get the total)
They were almost organized, but some odd instances of rows doubling up towards the left side of the bed.
Actually, I have not really seen Sheldon be picky about things like that. Most of his compulsions are thought out and for his comfort and for his sake of consistency. Things like where he sits, what nights what food is ordered. Most if his issues have to do with feeling (in)secure.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
Agatha Mystery

I saw a little bit of an interview with Johnny Galecki about this episode. Apparently, they offered Stephen Hawking to record his computer statements, so they could just be played at the appropriate time (I guess so he wouldn't have to work so hard), but he refused. He wanted to deliver his lines with his own comedic timing.
Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
GameGuru

So that really was Stephen Hawking? Ok my question is, how does he tell the voice what to say? I so no movement from him. Is it hard wired into his brain?
8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD
Seagate 2TB HD
Pioneer Blu-ray Burner BDR-209DBK
Windows 8.1 Pro
GameGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Wikipedia:

For lectures and media appearances, Hawking appears to speak fluently through his synthesiser; however when preparing answers his system produces words at a rate of about one per minute.[31] Hawking's setup uses a predictive text entry system, which requires only the first few characters in order to auto-complete the word, but as he is only able to use his cheek for data entry, constructing complete sentences takes time.[31] During a TED Conference talk, it took him seven minutes to provide a brief answer to a question.[32]
Old 04-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
AlphaDelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameGuru View Post
So that really was Stephen Hawking? Ok my question is, how does he tell the voice what to say? I so no movement from him. Is it hard wired into his brain?
His computer tracks his eye movements so he looks at buttons on the screen that have letters, words, etc.

I was a little disappointed that the only scene Hawking was in was just with Sheldon. They couldn't have a scene with all of them?
Old 04-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
Fassade

Yes, it was him. He has also done ST: TNG, Futurama, and the Simpsons.

Hawking used to control his speech with a button; eventually, he had to switch to a system using twitches in his facial muscles, and they are now researching eye tracking and other options for if/when his condition deteriorates to the point where facial twitches are no longer an option.
Fassade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #17
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Thought this ep was pretty good. No aff and only one scene with squeaky, so I liked most of it. The last scene was unnecessary.
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #18
oscarfish

I just love the fact that gods gift to humanity presented a paper to one of the only people on the planet capable of appreciating his brilliance with an arithmetic error.
oscarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #19
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Does Hawking have ALS? If he does then he must be the longest living survivor of the disease.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #20
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Yeah, the time they gave him when he was diagnosed expired decades ago.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #21
Hank
AC•FTW

Obviously he's found a way to warp the time-space continuum, but he's not telling anyone else. Bastard.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #22
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
Does Hawking have ALS? If he does then he must be the longest living survivor of the disease.
Yeah. He was diagnosed in his 20's. The average person with ALS lives for several years. It's astonishing, really.

I missed AFF.

But what I liked the most was you could tell Hawking was enjoying himself, even through facial twitches. His small smile when Sheldon fainted was golden.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #23
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead View Post
But what I liked the most was you could tell Hawking was enjoying himself, even through facial twitches. His small smile when Sheldon fainted was golden.
This x a million.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #24
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Yeah. He was diagnosed in his 20's. The average person with ALS lives for several years. It's astonishing, really...
If you go to his Web site, there's an excellent autobiographical piece about his journey with ALS...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #25
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Here's an interesting Scientific American article on this kind of longevity with ALS.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...en-hawking-als
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #26
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
hehe Stephen Hawking said 'boner'! hehe

I laughed out loud more in this ep than I have in a long time watching this show. Half the time it seemed like the guys were getting a genuine laugh at Sheldon's expense.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #27
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
hehe Stephen Hawking said 'boner'! hehe
It just made me sad.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #28
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Hawking is a great lecturer, and a funny guy.

[Side note: The only time I seriously feared getting trampled to death in a crowd was when I was trying to get a seat for one of Hawking's lectures. Ah, the things we nerds do for science.]
Old 04-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #29
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass

Quote:
His small smile when Sheldon fainted was golden.
I saw that and it made me smile.

Famous people are prisoners of their fame to some respect. Some enjoy and learn to work with the trappings of fame, some are haunted and consumed by it. Hawking has world-wide fame, but he is also a prisoner of his body. Again, some learn how to continue to live within their limitations or even break through those limits, others retreat and shrink from the public eye.

For all of the amazing things he's accomplished, the number of people he's inspired both with his mind and his continued ability to live and thrive, that small smile...to me...reflected the spark of life that he has within him. It also proves that you're never too smart to laugh at a sight gag.

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #30
Fish Man
Phish Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHertz67 View Post
I saw that and it made me smile.

Famous people are prisoners of their fame to some respect. Some enjoy and learn to work with the trappings of fame, some are haunted and consumed by it. Hawking has world-wide fame, but he is also a prisoner of his body. Again, some learn how to continue to live within their limitations or even break through those limits, others retreat and shrink from the public eye.

For all of the amazing things he's accomplished, the number of people he's inspired both with his mind and his continued ability to live and thrive, that small smile...to me...reflected the spark of life that he has within him. It also proves that you're never too smart to laugh at a sight gag.
Very well said!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fish Man is offline   Reply With Quote