TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-29-2015, 12:02 AM   #1
jeffspam

S3 w/ old software = HOURS of wasted time. THUMBS DOWN, TIVO!

Tivo has a looong history of pushing me away, but this one is a new low. I have a dead HDD on a S3 device (w/ lifetime). I put in a new drive, restored from an old but reliable image, and proceed to setup as usual. GS > CDE > GS, etc., but no TA support, etc. I force calls and reboot about half a dozen times... but no software update. I let it sit, hooked up, for a good three+ weeks, and still no update. So a couple of days ago I try another CDE, then force calls and reboot again and again... nothing. I finally call Tivo and explain the situation, but the rep first insists it's all because of the way I've run my coax through the TA, and adds that the cablecards are bad, saying I should get "four or more" from my cable company until I find one that works. He demands it has nothing to do with software. !?!!!? I finally ask to talk to a supervisor. He's apologetic, but finally admits that they have "no way" of issuing a software update to this older unit. My only recourse is to find a newer image ("I hear there are places online to get that") with the latest software.

Between the HUGE waste of time trying to repeatedly update the software, plus the HUGE waste of time trying to track down a newer image and install it to the drive, redoing the GS > CDE > GS process, etc., etc. -- it's just a complete waste of hours and hours, and I simply don't understand why leaving the software up on their servers so that my box could automatically update would have been such a hardship.

Tivo, you're becoming the Radio Shack of my gadget collection. I need you, yet I complain about you constantly. I love having you around, yet I'm going to say "good riddance" when you're finally unnecessary. The only reason I use you at all is simply because there's nothing better around. Yet. But you can bet your ass that once those key patents expire... I'm gonna kiss that shiny plastic remote good bye forever!

jeffspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

So you're upset that Tivo won't offer support to a potentially 9 year old unit that you've taken it to repair yourself? Sorry but you'll not get any sympathy there.

However had you talked to the fine folks here at TCF we'd have been more than happy to help troubleshoot and even provide you with a newer version of the OS for you to load.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #3
waynomo
My One Time

I have 3 series 3 TiVos. It's really time to upgrade. You'll be much happier with a Roamio. I know I am.

But, yes there are some very helpful people here who can help you get your S3 up and working again.

waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:40 AM   #4
HDRyder9

Tivo sold the OP "lifetime" service. Tivo is fond of saying it's the lifetime of the Tivo box not the lifetime of the purchaser. Just as its reasonable for a car owner to replace tires when worn out, it is just as reasonable for a Tivo owner to extend the life of his Tivo box by replacing worn out parts. The Tivo box is still working so it's within its "lifetime". Tivo owes the OP a software update.

I have a Series 3 Tivo, along with a two Premiers, a Roamio and am considering a Bolt, all with "lifetime" service. If Tivo fails to provide software for any of my Tivo boxes when needed, I believe I will do significantly more than post on a user forum.

HDRyder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:07 AM   #5
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRyder9 View Post
I have a Series 3 Tivo, along with a two Premiers, a Roamio and am considering a Bolt, all with "lifetime" service. If Tivo fails to provide software for any of my Tivo boxes when needed, I believe I will do significantly more than post on a user forum.
and that would be?
I know you want to say "class action suit" three of the most useless words out there IMNSHO.

First off Tivo does support these units via their ability to get guide etc info, that has not changed (the online scheduling is a different discussion) and a unit that has failed and gotten rebuilt can be fairly easily rebuilt via the tools we have here available to us, INCLUDING access to the latest revision of software, the OP has stated by their actions that they know how to load the software so we could have helped get them the correct software.
Additionally Tivo would not necessarily fix or repair a dead S3 even with Lifetime if it had been modified or opened which this one has.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:33 AM   #6
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffspam View Post
Tivo has a looong history of pushing me away, but this one is a new low. I have a dead HDD on a S3 device (w/ lifetime). I put in a new drive, restored from an old but reliable image, and proceed to setup as usual. GS > CDE > GS, etc., but no TA support, etc. I force calls and reboot about half a dozen times... but no software update. I let it sit, hooked up, for a good three+ weeks, and still no update. So a couple of days ago I try another CDE, then force calls and reboot again and again... nothing. I finally call Tivo and explain the situation,
This has already been discussed either here or more likely in the Underground forum. You can post in the appropriate thread in the Underground forum to get an image with the last version of the S3 software. I'm very surprised that you did not come here right away to ask for assistance rather than waiting 3 weeks and then calling TiVo for an unsupported activity.

You should be able to get a new Roamio Pro with lifetime/All-in for $600 which is a great deal. We have 2 S3 OLED's which are working fine for what we need but we went ahead and took advantage of this deal as Comcast is going to be switching to MPEG4 which the S3's don't support and because of the increase in lifetime/All-in pricing.

I really doubt that there will be any new retail DVR's when TiVo's patents expire. TiVo (and the other vendors that have tried) have shown that it's almost impossible to make a profit on the retail DVR market alone.

Scott

Roamio Pro - 3TB - All-in
S3 HD - 2TB - Lifetime (son's)
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:51 PM   #7
HD_Dude
I Want HD in my Car

As an original owner of two S3s, I can say that they are still working today because of the expert advice I receive here at the TCF. I have never called TiVo for a hard drive issue, or reboots, or the blinking blue light of death - It never occurred to me to call TiVo for an issue with 7-9 year old machines. I come here instead.

Sure, I wish TiVo would support them 100% for a century...but that won't happen.

This forum educated me to the fact that it was time to move on. Therefore, I now have the Pro and the OTA.

And instead of pulling my hair out trying to keep my decade old machines working...now? I'm having fun! And enjoying the new machines. They're a blast!

I respect the OP's opinion. But my opinion, and my approach, is different.

TiVo Roamio Pro - City, with FIOS
TiVo Roamio OTA - Country, with Antenna
(2) TiVo Series 3 - OLED - Semi-Retired
Lifetime Service on All

HD_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRyder9 View Post
Tivo sold the OP "lifetime" service. Tivo is fond of saying it's the lifetime of the Tivo box not the lifetime of the purchaser. Just as its reasonable for a car owner to replace tires when worn out, it is just as reasonable for a Tivo owner to extend the life of his Tivo box by replacing worn out parts. The Tivo box is still working so it's within its "lifetime". Tivo owes the OP a software update.

I
Unlike a car mfg tivo states there aren't any customer serviceable parts inside the unit. Customers are specifically told not to open the unit.

It's reasonable, to us, to assume purchasers might self repair units. Failing hard drives and power supplies are probably the two most common failures.

It's reasonable, to tivo, to EOL 7+ year old technology. It's reasonable, to tivo, to remove software from their servers. The TivoHD software hasn't been upgraded in more then 2 years.

It's reasonable to expect users who are self repairing to be responsible to keep backups.

I'll sort of agree with the OP on one point. It's reasonable to assume a company who is EOL ing a product will issue a statement describing exactly what tivo will and won't do. Tell us software will no longer be on their servers. Tell us if online web scheduling is gone.

Tivo will no longer activate a TivoHD. I doubt tivo will repair a TivoHD (ship a customer a refurbished unit). Therefore there isn't any reason to upgrade software. It would be different if tivo agreed to active an old unit, which had old software installed.

Last edited by lew; 11-29-2015 at 05:59 PM.
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:07 PM   #9
unitron

If one had purchased an original S3 back when they were new and purchased lifetime for it, and then didn't set it up, or set it up and then unplugged it and sat it on the shelf, and only recently started using it again, so that the original 250GB hard drive had a very old version of the OS, would it be unreasonable to expect the TiVo servers to detect this and push 11.0m to it?

Especially considering that "m" was, at least in part, a fix for their own screwup with a date which should never have been hard-coded.

There's some painful truth in that Radio Shack analogy.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:40 PM   #10
bitzerjdb

I had a similar problem (Thanks to the Community for sending me the M Image). I called tech support and was told "You modified the unit, no support is available". I asked if they could push the update....answer "You modified the unit, no support is available".

I get it, they are old (I have two Series 3 boxes), however they do what I want. My XL4 is the primary unit, one Series 3 is in the bedroom, and one is in the family room for recording stuff that would fill up the XL4 (Live sports, etc.).

Both Series 3s have Lifetime support...along with the XL4

I understand not updating the image on the servers, but the room to host it is tiny....

I have been a huge TIVO supporter in the past and have had one ever since they first came out...unfortunately their recent decisions have really started to erode the good will I had...

bitzerjdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:06 PM   #11
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If one had purchased an original S3 back when they were new and purchased lifetime for it, and then didn't set it up, or set it up and then unplugged it and sat it on the shelf, and only recently started using it again, so that the original 250GB hard drive had a very old version of the OS, would it be unreasonable to expect the TiVo servers to detect this and push 11.0m to it?
A person bought an S3 unit. Paid for LS. Spent $$$. Didn't set it up. 5+ years later he wants to first use it, on a SD TV? Sounds like a reach. I guess we'll have to assume the person went into a coma shortly after paying for the unit. After recover his biggest worry is his tivo. I'd hope tivo would work out something to accommodate such a customer. Maybe a free bolt.

Do you really think cable DVRs will be any different, or less expensive, when they no longer have to pay royalties to tivo?

I don't agree with the RS analogy but along the same lines I can think of companies which were pioneers but lost their way: visi calc, lotus 1 2 3, word perfect, Sony betamax...Apple didn't make the first mp3 player.

lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:22 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
A person bought an S3 unit. Paid for LS. Spent $$$. Didn't set it up. 5+ years later he wants to first use it, on a SD TV? Sounds like a reach. I guess we'll have to assume the person went into a coma shortly after paying for the unit. After recover his biggest worry is his tivo. I'd hope tivo would work out something to accommodate such a customer. Maybe a free bolt.

Do you really think cable DVRs will be any different, or less expensive, when they no longer have to pay royalties to tivo?

I don't agree with the RS analogy but along the same lines I can think of companies which were pioneers but lost their way: visi calc, lotus 1 2 3, word perfect, Sony betamax...Apple didn't make the first mp3 player.

I was posing a hypothetical to explore whether keeping the OS updated to the latest version is or is not a part of the TiVo Service to which one has a lifetime subscription, while removing from said hypothetical situation the complication of the original hard drive having been replaced.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #13
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I was posing a hypothetical to explore whether keeping the OS updated to the latest version is or is not a part of the TiVo Service to which one has a lifetime subscription, while removing from said hypothetical situation the complication of the original hard drive having been replaced.
Maybe they bought the S3 and then were arrested and sent to jail for a number of years and just got out of prison.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 12-09-2015, 11:48 PM   #14
HDRyder9

Maybe someone liked it enough he bought a spare to store away until it was needed.

HDRyder9 is offline   Reply With Quote