TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
buscuitboy

Question Series 3 (OLED) cap list

I have a Series 3 with some reboot issues. I am thinking it may be the power supply and some of its caps & may attempt to replace them myself. It has been suggested to just replace them all to be safe.

I thought I remember seeing this somewhere, but can't seem to find it with search. Is there a full list of all the caps that are in the Series 3 (OLED) and what to exactly replace them with? I think the previous post even provided links to Amazon on where to actually get them.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I have a Series 3 with some reboot issues. I am thinking it may be the power supply and some of its caps & may attempt to replace them myself. It has been suggested to just replace them all to be safe.

I thought I remember seeing this somewhere, but can't seem to find it with search. Is there a full list of all the caps that are in the Series 3 (OLED) and what to exactly replace them with? I think the previous post even provided links to Amazon on where to actually get them.
I know someone listed them for one of the 2 models used in the HD, and I think someone did the 648, but I'll have to go search.

If I can ever take my S3 collection offline long enough, I was planning to make a list and trace which ones are part of which voltage output, since it's almost certain to be the ones on the +5 or +12 Volt, or both, that are the problem, 'cause that's where most of the current draw happens.

Okay, here's a guy who did a 648.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...93#post9131293

I think there was only one company who made a 648 supply (as opposed to the 652/658 supplies), but check his PS part number at the top of his list

3Y power supply: CP-1104 R2
TiVo PN: SPWR-00008-000 Rev A3

against your board to be sure.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
worachj

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=9456839
This guy made a parts list for the 648 on mouser.com.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
buscuitboy

Yep, those are the list I was looking for. Thanks
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
sfhub

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If I can ever take my S3 collection offline long enough, I was planning to make a list and trace which ones are part of which voltage output, since it's almost certain to be the ones on the +5 or +12 Volt, or both, that are the problem, 'cause that's where most of the current draw happens.
I've had the C401/C402 on what I believe to be the 3.3v line fail/bulge.

While there may be some effect, I don't think it always has to do with how much current draw.

I've had 2 TiVo HDs that sat in a box and were never turned on and the caps were bulging. Clearly current draw wasn't the issue there.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post

While there may be some effect, I don't think it always has to do with how much current draw.

I've had 2 TiVo HDs that sat in a box and were never turned on and the caps were bulging. Clearly current draw wasn't the issue there.
Yeah, but the ones that have to deal with the most current are the most likely to overheat, so your experiences are more the exception than the rule.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:25 AM   #7
sfhub

Quote:
Yeah, but the ones that have to deal with the most current are the most likely to overheat, so your experiences are more the exception than the rule.
What you say makes sense in general for caps going bad, but for bulging caps, if they can bulge even not having ever been turned on, some other factor is in play. In those cases there is probably some inherent instability in the electrolytic formula, which might be accelerated by heat, but can bulge all on their own.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
What you say makes sense in general for caps going bad, but for bulging caps, if they can bulge even not having ever been turned on, some other factor is in play. In those cases there is probably some inherent instability in the electrolytic formula, which might be accelerated by heat, but can bulge all on their own.
And the factor in play is the electrolytic "recipe" that was stolen several years back was incomplete and by the time that was discovered it had been used to make millions of capacitors, hence "capacitor plague".

And of course there are out and out counterfeit caps as well, where they aren't really made by the company whose name is put on them.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:20 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:

I did a little poking around with an ohmmeter/continuity tester, and those two caps don't appear to be directly "across"* any of the DC outs, but somewhere further back upstream.

When I was younger I'd have spent the time to trace all the circuits, look up the pinouts for the semiconductors, and draw up a complete schematic.

Now I lean more towards "just fix the problem and get it back into the TiVo and get the TiVo working again".

Old 10-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
Teeps

Quote:
I did a little poking around with an ohmmeter/continuity tester, and those two caps don't appear to be directly "across"* any of the DC outs, but somewhere further back upstream.

When I was younger I'd have spent the time to trace all the circuits, look up the pinouts for the semiconductors, and draw up a complete schematic.

Now I lean more towards "just fix the problem and get it back into the TiVo and get the TiVo working again".
+1
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote