TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
milo99

Castle S06E01

Well, i'm glad that in Beckett's reaction to the proposal she was surprised because "he was so serious", which was my thinking, that it was a weird looking proposal.

i also liked how they talked a bit before she accepted, seemed more realistic to me than typical hollywood. but what didn't make sense was that he'd still be in NY. If it's a temp gig in DC, i could understand that, but i would think he'd have moved down there with her. Unless that's in the plan but they just haven't expressed it.

anyway, overall not a bad episode. the one thing though that i'm not sure i like is the "cliffhanger" at the end. i mean, really. the main character of the show is not going to die. we all know this. so it's just a matter of a "how" they'll get him out of it. Which is something that kind of takes away from the cliffhanger. There's no real threat to the character, we KNOW he's not going to die, so why bother? a cliffhanger should have the threat of something that could realistically happen.

Similarly, the Beckett standing on a bomb episode - you know she wasn't going to die, so it kind of took away from the drama. it allowed them to advance their relationship by his actions, but still, you knew there was no threat to her actually dying. Now if Ryan or Espo were on that bomb, you never know, the writers may be brave enough to kill them off, they killed the old Captain, so THAT would have had some tension.... anyway...
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo99 View Post
i mean, really. the main character of the show is not going to die. we all know this. so it's just a matter of a "how" they'll get him out of it.
It's not about the destination, it's about the journey. The storytelling is as important as what happens at the end. Titanic was a hugely successfully movie and every single person that saw it knew how it ended. Apollo 13 is the same way. Just because you know how it ends doesn't mean it's not entertaining to watch.

I thought the episode was okay. Pretty classic Castle except the board was at the Feds instead of NYPD. For me it was frustrating because we know that in three or four episodes Beckett will end up back at NYPD and that all this Fed stuff is just filler.

tk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pendragn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn View Post
It's not about the destination, it's about the journey. The storytelling is as important as what happens at the end. Titanic was a hugely successfully movie and every single person that saw it knew how it ended. Apollo 13 is the same way. Just because you know how it ends doesn't mean it's not entertaining to watch.

tk
i get that, and like i said, the story was advanced on the Beckett on a bomb ep., but the titanic example is not quite the same as what i'm talking about. For example, in Titanic, the guy died, you didn't know that in advance. There was no real anxiety about whether or not the ship was going to hit the iceberg - that wasn't the tension. the tension was who would survive and how.

Apollo 13 was probably a closer analogy, but yet, you knew that going in. you knew there was going to be a story about how they survived that particular circumstance. They had small obstacles that we didn't know if and how each was going to be surmounted. We knew the general story, but not the stuff in between.

but with these episodes, the threw out these events that are supposed to be twists, and to create tension, but yet it doesn't create the tension because we know it will work out in the end, just not how they get there. so it just kind of leaves a little missing. like if Alexis' life or his mom's life is in danger, that's legitimate tension because we don't know if they may be killed off. most likely not, but there's a chance.

that's all i'm saying.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
Lori
Social Defective

I thought that it was rude to have a two-parter kick off the season. Seriously?

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
jgickler
Mr. Rolleyes

I completely agree with the cliffhanger being silly. Castle will not die, so why make the cliffhanger "will Castle die"? If would be like ending a Charlie Brown cartoon with a cliffhanger of whether or not Lucy will pull the football away at the last minute. That is not a cliffhanger, it is more like a first floor window hanger. Other then that, I thought it was a decent episode, but I just hope they don't spend too much time with the DC thing. Once case, I can buy that Castle gets mixed up in things, but if it goes farther then this, it starts to get extremely unbelievable. I did like Cuddy as the partner and the episode was very in character for the show.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
Honora

Quote:

but what didn't make sense was that he'd still be in NY. If it's a temp gig in DC, i could understand that, but i would think he'd have moved down there with her. Unless that's in the plan but they just haven't expressed it.
You weren't paying attention. The caption for the transition after the proposal said that it was 2 months later. Then we find out from the conversation between Castle & Mom that he's been on a book signing tour for 6 weeks. And Kate's been in training, so they've had no time to make any plans.
Honora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honora View Post
You weren't paying attention. The caption for the transition after the proposal said that it was 2 months later. Then we find out from the conversation between Castle & Mom that he's been on a book signing tour for 6 weeks. And Kate's been in training, so they've had no time to make any plans.
i caught that, i just thought that the book tour was something he did as a way to keep busy since he no longer has the NYPD gig and she's out of town. if that's the cause of him not moving, ok... but i would have expected them to say something like, "now that i'm done with the book tour, i can look at moving down" or anything to that effect. That's what seemed weird to me.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
SNJpage1

I hate two parters.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
I hate two parters.
Only things worse than two-parters are seasons that are 13-parters or 22-parters.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
i caught that, i just thought that the book tour was something he did as a way to keep busy since he no longer has the NYPD gig and she's out of town. if that's the cause of him not moving, ok... but i would have expected them to say something like, "now that i'm done with the book tour, i can look at moving down" or anything to that effect. That's what seemed weird to me.
I wouldn't expect Castle to just move out of his home and down to Arlington after just two months, regardless whether he's engaged or not. I think that's rather unrealistically fast. I get that living arrangements would have to be worked out eventually, but not quite that quickly.

Plus, if/when he were to move, he probably wouldn't just keep his multi-million dollar flat in Midtown Soho; he'd probably sell that, which isn't something you just do. Also, that would mean finding someplace else for Martha and Alexis to live. (I know Alexis is living in the dorms in college, but she still seems to visit enough that I'd consider her still living at home at least part time.)
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I wouldn't expect Castle to just move out of his home and down to Arlington after just two months, regardless whether he's engaged or not. I think that's rather unrealistically fast. I get that living arrangements would have to be worked out eventually, but not quite that quickly.

Plus, if/when he were to move, he probably wouldn't just keep his multi-million dollar flat in Midtown Soho; he'd probably sell that, which isn't something you just do. Also, that would mean finding someplace else for Martha and Alexis to live. (I know Alexis is living in the dorms in college, but she still seems to visit enough that I'd consider her still living at home at least part time.)
i agree with all of that, i just wish they would have mentioned that they were thinking of it, even in passing. it just doesn't seem to be on their radar at all.. you know?
Old 09-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honora View Post
It seems you were not paying attention. Castle's west coast book tour was "12 cities in 11 days". He does say to Kate that they have not seen each other in "6 weeks", but he does not say that he was on a 6 week book tour.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
SNJpage1

Since Kate has a place in DC there isn't any reason why he cant stay there when he is in DC and she can stay at his place in NY when she visits. However, with the money he makes there isn't any reason why he can't get another place in DC. He already has a place in the Hamptons that he doesn't use so he could sell that if needed.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Well, if Castle and Beckett get married in the next 24 hours and then he dies, the show can be about her adventures as a fed and still be called Castle.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #15
mattack

I'm guessing she's back to NYC within several episodes. Seems weird to make it long distance for a significant period of time. (Hmm, they're farther away than I thought.. "nyc to dc" in maps.google.com says 226 miles by driving.. Lots of other shows seem to make it sound like a quick jaunt... though maybe I'm confusing it with DC to Philly, which is 97 miles, according to the same source.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #16
Flop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
(Hmm, they're farther away than I thought.. "nyc to dc" in maps.google.com says 226 miles by driving.. Lots of other shows seem to make it sound like a quick jaunt... though maybe I'm confusing it with DC to Philly, which is 97 miles, according to the same source.)
It's 3-4 hours by train from Penn Station in Manhattan to Union Station in DC.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #17
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

and lets not forget Castle's Father...
DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #18
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was waiting for the feds to see how much of a help he is that they offer him a job. Or maybe he talks to someone about a new book he is writing about federal cases and needs to do research on...

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I was waiting for the feds to see how much of a help he is that they offer him a job. Or maybe he talks to someone about a new book he is writing about federal cases and needs to do research on...
Or he gets her into so much trouble with his butting in that she gets fired.

Seriously, though, they have to end up back in New York, and sooner rather than later. Too much of the show (and its cast) is set there.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #20
Martha

Or they just stick her in the FBI field office in NY.
Martha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #21
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Or they just stick her in the FBI field office in NY.
And Esposito & Ryan join the FBI?

Nah, this has to end, and soon.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #22
Martha

Is the Cuddy character a guest role or has she joined the cast? I didn't notice the credits.
Martha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #23
Archangel00

They need to wrap up this FBI crap, and wrap it up quick or I'm done!
Archangel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #24
Agatha Mystery

She's not necessarily FBI. She's a "federal agent". I don't think they ever actually said where she is working, just some elite kind of group.

However, Castle not being able to mind his own business makes him seem extremely immature. I understand his nosiness, but having him deliberately ignoring her request not to look at classified documents and telling all sorts of people about it is just stupid. And Ryan and Espo asking about it when he said he couldn't talk about it, pushing for more info seems slightly out of character as well.

I'm going to guess that they're going to let him help 'investigate' since he's about to die, allowing them to keep the show in character. My prediction is that they'll have Kate decide that she really likes working with Castle, rather than the feds, and ask for her old job back. She'll realize that she loves Castle and that playing Fed keeps her from spending time with him after almost losing him.
Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #25
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Is the Cuddy character a guest role or has she joined the cast? I didn't notice the credits.
Googling for news is more effective when you look up the actress' real name.

spoilery-headlined article on Zap2It

Spoiler:
Quote:

The "Castle" Season 6 premiere features a big guest star -- Lisa Edelstein of "House" will appear as Agent Rachel McCord in the first three episodes of the new season.
After the first three episodes of Season 6, is there any chance that your character might return to "Castle"?

Lisa Edelstein: Andrew [Marlowe] has been open for me to come back later on, but it really depends on my availability. I've signed on for my next project, so that limits the amount of time.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #26
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha Mystery View Post
She's not necessarily FBI. She's a "federal agent". I don't think they ever actually said where she is working, just some elite kind of group.

However, Castle not being able to mind his own business makes him seem extremely immature. I understand his nosiness, but having him deliberately ignoring her request not to look at classified documents and telling all sorts of people about it is just stupid. And Ryan and Espo asking about it when he said he couldn't talk about it, pushing for more info seems slightly out of character as well.
she works for the attorney general. they talked about that last season...

as for Castle's nosiness, while annoying, it's totally within his character. he's done that countless times over the years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha Mystery View Post
My prediction is that they'll have Kate decide that she really likes working with Castle, rather than the feds, and ask for her old job back. She'll realize that she loves Castle and that playing Fed keeps her from spending time with him after almost losing him.
funny you say this because i was just thinking earlier that the entire season 5 was them trying to keep it a secret because if anyone found out, they wouldn't be able to work together any more, and that was a big deal to them. So it would make sense from a story standpoint that they get back to that, as you theorize, since it was such a big deal to them before.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #27
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Gulfer View Post
and lets not forget Castle's Father...
At some point will Beckett say, "And yonder lies the faddah of my Castle"?

(Good luck with THAT reference.)
Old 09-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #28
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
At some point will Beckett say, "And yonder lies the faddah of my Castle"?

(Good luck with THAT reference.)
Alan Sherman?

scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #29
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Alan Sherman?

Heh, I can see where you got that from, but no, it's from:
Spoiler:
the movie line that is often attributed to Tony Curtis, but was never actually uttered by him -- "Yondah lies the castle of my faddah."