Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #31
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
It seems like much of this season will take place at the wedding.

I kind of like that. If the whole series is about the circumstances that lead to him meeting her, multiple years of this, it would be weird for them to not go into depth about the day they actually meet.

-smak-
Spoiler:
Bays/Thomas have said that the whole season will take place the weekend of the wedding, although that will only serve as the touchstone for flashbacks/flashforwards, etc. At first I wasn't sure, but now I kind of like the idea.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #32
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehma View Post
I agree with you on these. The curse flashback was just dumb. Even worse was the "are we cousins or not" scene. The Mother is great, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I hated the 'cousins' scenes. Way too drawn out and was just not funny.
I loved the cousins scenes, but then again my friend, who just married almost 1 year ago, found out he was cousins with his wife (then girl he met out one night) shortly after they met. Don't worry, it is not by blood, but by marriage. So to me it was hilarious as that scene played out practically the same as for him.

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #33
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I hated the 'cousins' scenes. Way too drawn out and was just not funny.

Loved the Lily/Mother scenes too.

I liked when current Ted and future Ted/Mother were at the same table 1 year apart.
I though the cousins stuff was funny. Not hilarious, but funny.

Yeah, that at the table scene was weird.. The way it started, for a very brief period of time, it was confusing.. But even as I say that, it was well done, I guess because it was sort of a "flash forward" done in a different style.

I thought the two episodes overall were good.. Though I seem to be missing something.. The very last scene of the first episode had him at the airport going to L.A. to pick up the locket or whatever.. then IIRC they didn't really cover that again??? or they covered it in some weird way.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #34
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I thought the two episodes overall were good.. Though I seem to be missing something.. The very last scene of the first episode had him at the airport going to L.A. to pick up the locket or whatever.. then IIRC they didn't really cover that again??? or they covered it in some weird way.
They didn't really cover it after you found out he did go to LA. First you were supposed to think that he went and that the locket was in the wrapped gift, but then it was revealed that the gift was a photo of the whole gang. But then you find out he really DID go to LA... it was just kinda left like that.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #35
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Gotta start a thread so people can come in and say how much they don't like the show anymore...
Present!

Actually, I agree with a decent amount of what you and others have posted. If the season ends up needing a saving grace, it appears they'll have it in Cristin Milioti. Terrific casting, and she fit right in. I enjoyed her.

I didn't really like either episode overall, though. I just need to accept that the show doesn't do character-based humor anymore, and wants to go as broad as possible. Although I didn't think most of the broad humor worked well, either.

I think the more they write to the mother and Ted and their relationship, they better the show will be. Looking forward to that arc getting started.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:46 AM   #36
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I'm still having a hard time thinking of her as "The Mother", although the dark hair is helping. I still think of her as Abby Flynn, the very sexy baby from 30 Rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEmKN6DT-VE

(I can't figure out how to embed it. )
ha, first comment on youtube

"Kids, your mother likes to refer to those as 'the dark ages.'"
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:41 AM   #37
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
I fear we are going to get a whole season of Marshall driving cross country with Sherri Shepard. They didn't cast her to not use her.
Hopefully they cast her to drop a studio light on her head.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:47 AM   #38
busyba
The Funcooker

The bartender Linus was Robert Belushi, son of James, and cast member of season 3 of the Joe Schmoe show.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #39
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I watched the first two eps last night and was thinking while watching Ep1, 'wow, this is actually pretty good! I hope that bodes well for this season.'

Then watching Ep2, I realized it's just going to be more of the same and was back to 'why do I even spend the time'.

I'll watch to the bitter end, but I would prefer less of the Linus and Curtis type stuff. That's just gets me to stop even paying attention, and it just isn't entertaining.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #40
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
You mean "female"?
Not quite sure what you mean.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #41
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I though E1 was better than E2. But rewatching E2 last night I realized I REALLY liked the scene of Ted and his future wife at the table in the restaurant a year later. We get to see some of the spark between them and it was definitely there. That bodes well for the season I think. Especially if we get more scenes like that.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #42
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

For the most part, I thought it was dreadful. I like the mother, very cute, and her and Lily scenes were decent. The whole Marshall plotline was purest unfunny crap, the sort of thing a drunken me would write after watching Trains, Planes and Automobiles. The cousins scene, and horrible flashback 200 years? Oy vey! Did Russians even call each other "comrade" back then - I thought that was a 20th century commie thing.

I fear this is the shape of things to come if the whole season is "The Wedding" - a few chuckles but mostly lame filler. Paging Walder Frey!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #43
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I though the cousins stuff was funny. Not hilarious, but funny.

Yeah, that at the table scene was weird.. The way it started, for a very brief period of time, it was confusing.. But even as I say that, it was well done, I guess because it was sort of a "flash forward" done in a different style.
Heh, and I disliked the cousins scene but though the table scene was great.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #44
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Soze View Post
Did Russians even call each other "comrade" back then - I thought that was a 20th century commie thing.
You may be on to something here. Perhaps Barney's grasp of history may not be perfectly accurate. I'm beginning to suspect they didn't have electric guitars, even!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #45
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Green View Post
I'm beginning to suspect they didn't have electric guitars, even!
Come to think of it......
Old 09-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #46
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Green View Post
I'm beginning to suspect they didn't have electric guitars, even!
Best chuckle of the morning.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #47
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Not quite sure what you mean.
I believe he means that Ted has not historically been particularly discriminate.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #48
Amnesia
The Question

That's right. Tall or short, brunette or blonde, ditzy or serious, etc---Ted doesn't have a "type"...
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #49
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
I believe he means that Ted has not historically been particularly discriminate.
I just mean, that they same to have a lot in common. That wasn't always the case with the others. A lot of people date people who are not their type for whatever reason.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #50
jeff92k7

Quote:
Paging Walder Frey!
That had me literally laughing out loud.

As for the season, I'm betting the final scene will be the completion of the scene on the train platform - where they actually meet.

I did like the flash-forward scene and I wondered if they were going to do some flash-back stuff to show all the close calls that Ted and the mother had. I would be disappointed if they didn't. I want them to tie the whole story together and show (at least some) of the close calls from her perspective to make the other seasons worth it.
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #51
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff92k7 View Post
That had me literally laughing out loud.

As for the season, I'm betting the final scene will be the completion of the scene on the train platform - where they actually meet.

I did like the flash-forward scene and I wondered if they were going to do some flash-back stuff to show all the close calls that Ted and the mother had. I would be disappointed if they didn't. I want them to tie the whole story together and show (at least some) of the close calls from her perspective to make the other seasons worth it.
I would guess that is exactly what will happen. Some flash forwards to show Ted/Mother getting together, current day wedding shenanigans, and flash backs to near misses.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #52
2004raptor

My memory is bad. Wasn't it determined in one of the past seasons that the mother was part of the band at the wedding?

And I know somewhere along the way it was said she took a class Ted was teaching.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #53
jeff92k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
My memory is bad. Wasn't it determined in one of the past seasons that the mother was part of the band at the wedding?

And I know somewhere along the way it was said she took a class Ted was teaching.
yes, and yes.

We've also already been told/seen that the mother gets out of a cab at the train station after the wedding where Ted is also waiting for the train. Supposedly, that is where they actually "meet".

There are also a lot of close calls involving yellow umbrellas.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #54
smak
TV MA SLV

They kind of solved the whole show premise in the fact that it's supposed to be how Ted met her, so in the truest sense we should only see the mother in the last scene of the series.

But there's no way they can do that, so this whole season he won't meet her, but we will see her interact with other characters, and we will see flash forwards of them together.

Nicely done.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #55
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
I've never heard any rumors of that - in fact, I've only heard that the cast gets along famously. I just think Segal's probably done with the show after nearly a decade and wants to do other stuff.
He's filming a movie with Cameron Diaz right now. They were notified that they'll be filming on my daughter's campus on Monday. :-)
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #56
efilippi

I liked the first ep, the second not so much. I am anxiously awaiting developments with the ring bear, ring beaER that came up three times. The way these two actors deliver their lines so effortlessly (appearing) is really impressive.
efilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #57
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
They kind of solved the whole show premise in the fact that it's supposed to be how Ted met her, so in the truest sense we should only see the mother in the last scene of the series.

But there's no way they can do that, so this whole season he won't meet her, but we will see her interact with other characters, and we will see flash forwards of them together.

Nicely done.

-smak-
For me, they've done this perfectly. I've always been complaining that it's time to meet the mother already, and I would have been fine if Ted and mom met and they show their romance during the last season. But, I get the whole thing about not meeting mom until the end and that makes sense. So WE get to meet mom, and the other characters get to meet mom, but not Ted until the last scene. But, we DO get glimpses of them together in these flash forwards. Wonderfully done.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #58
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Quote:
I fear this is the shape of things to come if the whole season is "The Wedding" - a few chuckles but mostly lame filler. Paging Walder Frey!
Speaking of which, this one cracked me up:

“King Joffrey’s parents were brother and sister, and he was a fair and wise leader.”

A call-back to how Barney identifies with the antagonist (ex: The Karate Kid)

Oh, and not sure if it was mentioned or just obvious, but the photo Ted gives Robin is *the* photo from the opening credits.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #59
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
Speaking of which, this one cracked me up:

“King Joffrey’s parents were brother and sister, and he was a fair and wise leader.”
It seems I'm hearing a lot of Game of Thrones references in TV shows. I had to explain that one to my wife, who doesn't watch GoT.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #60
jeff92k7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post

Game of Thrones related question having to do with what Barney said. Spoilering since it involves GoT content that hasn't been shown yet.
Spoiler:
Did Barney say "was" or "is"? Joffrey hasn't been killed yet on the TV show.